• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
But true that, on your second statement. Zero Suit Samus though? How do you explain that? Samus could have easily had the same Final Smash minus the falling apart of the Power Suit and left room for Ridley.
Sakurai says it's more or less that he wanted to add a Female character and to have another rep for Metroid. So she got in on a whim?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/710/710752p1.html

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Toad seems to be on an upswing. He had a prominent nonplayable role in Mario 3D Land, and was the only serious Mario newcomer contender to be a playable character in Mario Kart 7. Waluigi and Bowser Jr. were both absent from them. However, I think we will see a lot more Paper Mario support once Paper Mario 3DS is finally released. Really, there is the potential that the battle for the Mario newcomer spot will eventually become Toad vs. Paper Mario.
Just as an aside, Mario Kart DS only had 12 characters. I'm sure there is a reason Waluigi and Bowser jr. aren't in the game, but it is smaller because it is on a handheld.

1. The shielding option would still be there so at least in FFAs, that isn't really changed. Another thing they can do is set the system up where unblockable setups are impossible. Skullgirls has such a thing in the works. The question now is whether or not left/right unblockables are taken care of as well.

Another thing is that when you are in blockstun, you're still blocking (this was not the case for 3rd Strike) so technically you'd have to block the first attack that strikes (or either one if simultaneous) and the other one will be autoblocked. The only way you'd be screwed over is if two or three people set you up in a frame trap.
Not sure why your speculating over this. Traditional blocking is a stupid idea and always was. I mean, damn people, what do you think sheilding is?

When I talk about understanding Smash and keeping Smash Smash, I'm talking about this.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey SMASHCHU, did you make that Neglected Mario Character quiz? Because I remember taking ONE JUST LIKE IT, when I was....twelve? eleven? A LONG TIME AGO. How long has that one been up? :3

Zero Suit was just as good of a choice as Ridley, relax you cats. SHE IS Samus afterall.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I remember asking people on NSider what they thought of Suitless Samus being playable. Everyone thought it wouldn't happen. Cue Brawl's unveiling.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Okay so I need to know... am I the ONLY person around here who doesn't expect to see another Kid Icarus character? Seriously, everyone seems to believe that Medusa or Palutena (or even both! :urg: ) will make it in as playable characters. The only reason for this is because "Sakurai revived the franchise so he haz biasez!" and stuff like that.

Honestly, the series has TWO games, and it's never been the most popular of franchises anyway. Does it really need or deserve another character just because Sakurai revived the series?

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Okay so I need to know... am I the ONLY person around here who doesn't expect to see another Kid Icarus character? Seriously, everyone seems to believe that Medusa or Palutena (or even both! :urg: ) will make it in as playable characters. The only reason for this is because "Sakurai revived the franchise so he haz biasez!" and stuff like that.

Honestly, the series has TWO games, and it's never been the most popular of franchises anyway. Does it really need or deserve another character just because Sakurai revived the series?

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Lucas had one and got in. It really doesn't matter much.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wanted Palutena before Brawl came out because I thought she looked cool.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Spydr: Actually once Uprising comes out there will be 3 games.

Looking at SF and Mother, I don't think it really matters all that much.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
@Chu:
He starred in one game, but there are three games in the series.

Still, does everyone actually believe that either Palutena or Medusa will make it simply because Sakurai revived the series? We didn't see Meta Knight or Dedede until Brawl and Sakurai actually created the Kirby series. Wouldn't he be afraid of "over-representing himself"? Surely, he must see that there isn't a need for a second character.

So for I am the only one...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never use "number of games" as an indicator. In fact, it's popularity of a character that makes me think if they're more worth it.

There was only one Ice Climbers game total, yet they got in. If it were a matter of number of games for having a chance to get characters(1 or more) in, then they wouldn't have. Brian from Quest 64 is in 3 games, and is retro, and although 3rd party, should have a better chance than them. See the problem here? Ice Climbers was much more popular than Quest 64(and its spinoffs). Likewise, there's been almost as many Starfox games as there are of F-Zero. F-Zero... has one. Starfox has 3. And many want Krystal anyway. It's more the character themselves that are important, not number of games, really. I just find that silly. Even popular games might not have that many sequels.(Power Stone was actually a pretty good game and has its followers) Notice any other Sonic fighting games? Only two. The original classic style of Sonic(without the Unleashed format of almost impossible to control speeds and more controlled homing attack) aren't nearly as popular as the somewhat slower but more controlled of the older games. So it's hard to say what's the most popular too.

Overall, it's best to look at characters themselves. A popular game does not indicate the need for a character.

kenshen

Smash Journeyman
I dont know about all those chars but i hope a character from final fantasy gets added like cloud or sephy

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
While I know that Sakurai doesn't like overrepresenting himself, and I may be stretching this statement in some opinions, but:

Technically KI is not his own series, and just because he's making the next game in the series doesn't make it his own. Palutena and Medusa are not his own creations.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
While I know that Sakurai doesn't like overrepresenting himself, and I may be stretching this statement in some opinions, but:

Technically KI is not his own series, and just because he's making the next game in the series doesn't make it his own. Palutena and Medusa are not his own creations.
That's why I put "over-representing himself" in quotations. Still, the same thought process used for the Kirby series can be applied. He has basically taken over Kid Icarus, making the series "his" for now.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I think I'll pull a Chrono here, and just say that we'll have to wait until Uprising comes out to see the reaction people get from the game and how that it'll effect the series as a whole.

And as a side note, by the time Smash 4 comes out, Uprising will be a distant memory.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
When you make something your own, you take the concept, and do a MAJOR overhaul, which is what Sakurai has done with Kid Icarus. It is as much his, as it is the OC's now.

That said, I don't think adding ONE KI character amoungst forty others is OVEREPPING IN ANY SENSE. I can see where he MIGHT have worried in Melee, but that is no longer a problem.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
When you make something your own, you take the concept, and do a MAJOR overhaul, which is what Sakurai has done with Kid Icarus. It is as much his, as it is the OC's now.

That said, I don't think adding ONE KI character amoungst forty others is OVEREPPING IN ANY SENSE. I can see where he MIGHT have worried in Melee, but that is no longer a problem.
Well we don't really know how Sakurai feels about the game just yet, and if he considers it his own. Pit and Palutena are not the only characters he's redesigned. And looking at how some other series have been redesigned over the years, I wouldn't expect him to.

I do agree with your second statement though.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

It's not like we have unlimited space on the roster though. A lot of room is going to be taken up by characters that are actually popular, well-known, and from a series that has some more significance with Nintendo. Plus there's the random retros, possible third-parties, and "smaller series reps" to think about.

I just don't think we'll see another Kid Icarus character unless the games becomes insanely popular and has a character that can rival K. Rool, Ridley, and other high-ups in terms of popularity.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just don't think we'll see another Kid Icarus character unless the games becomes insanely popular and has a character that can rival K. Rool, Ridley, and other high-ups in temrs of popularity.
We all know they won't ever reach the same popularity as characters like K. Rool and Ridley, but from what I've seen they do have a good amount of popularity thus far (except for Magnus), even without Uprising and the OVAs.

But out of curiousity, as I haven't seen your opinion on this yet, how large to you expect the roster to be? Most people here expect around 45-48 slots.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
We all know they won't ever reach the same popularity as characters like K. Rool and Ridley, but from what I've seen they do have a good amount of popularity thus far (except for Magnus), even without Uprising and the OVAs.

But out of curiousity, as I haven't seen your opinion on this yet, how large to you expect the roster to be? Most people here expect around 45-48 slots.
As with the whole "Fire Emblem Chrome support/expectation" thing, I've seen more people expecting either Palutena or Medusa to make it instead of people that actually support that character. And the only reason they expect it is because Sakurai is reviving the series.

But when it comes to roster size, that is the same amount I expect. No more than 48 slots. In fact, my most recent prediction roster (which could use some updating) had exactly 48 slots.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As with the whole "Fire Emblem Chrome support/expectation" thing, I've seen more people expecting either Palutena or Medusa to make it instead of people that actually support that character.

But when it comes to roster size, that is the same amount I expect. No more than 48 slots. In fact, my most recent prediction roster (which could use some updating) had exactly 48 slots.
Oh okay, I can see where you're coming from now, and I agree to an extent. I do feel though that those expectations will turn into popularity in time.

As for the roster, I'd like to see yours sometime and see how Shortie would rate it. ;)

Anyway I have some work to do, nice debating with yeah. Later.

D

Deleted member

@Spydr_Enzo: ToiseofChoice also doubts a second Kid Icarus rep.

But I also expect a second Kid Icarus rep.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's not like we have unlimited space on the roster though. A lot of room is going to be taken up by characters that are actually popular, well-known, and from a series that has some more significance with Nintendo. Plus there's the random retros, possible third-parties, and "smaller series reps" to think about.

I just don't think we'll see another Kid Icarus character unless the games becomes insanely popular and has a character that can rival K. Rool, Ridley, and other high-ups in terms of popularity.
Don't play "NOT ENUGH ROOM". That's very silly.

I do agree that they....aren't that popular.....YET.

I don't know IF their popularity is going to become a constant, or a fad. I'm betting they'll have a large fanbase though. Krystal size probably. (Which despite everyones best efforts, is still pretty large, and will continue to be until we see another SF game. Which IM SURE she will be in)

But I also expect a second Kid Icarus rep.
Kid Icarus AND Wario are two series I DON'T KNOW what to expect from.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Oh okay, I can see where you're coming from now, and I agree to an extent. I do feel though that those expectations will turn into popularity in time.

As for the roster, I'd like to see yours sometime and see how Shortie would rate it. ;)

Anyway I have some work to do, nice debating with yeah. Later.
If it does turn into actual popularity, then I may change my views on the series getting a new character.

Remind me sometime to post my roster next time you're online. Maybe I'll have it fixed up by then. Also, to be honest, I'm a bit scared of Shortie's reaction... for some reason he seems to have been enjoying disagreeing with me more as of late. I miss the good ol' days when we were like a team. :bee:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't see a lot of people expecting, but not wanting, Palutena or Medusa. The ones who expect them are the ones who support them. Since Sakurai went into Uprising knowing Sm4sh would be coming RIGHT AFTER, it's possible he'll make one/both of them into not only likable characters, but also interesting fighters. The OVA's seem to indicate Nintendo is trying to push Kid Icarus into becoming a bigger franchise, so unless those are just completely awful, they're going to become rather popular rather quickly. Even just by her design and status as a goddess, Medusa would be a great fit for Smash (I FIND PALUTENA DISAGREEABLE BUT WHATEVER. EAT IT TRYPHEN. EAT IT WITH A SPOON).

Though, I guess "EXPECT" isn't the word I'd use to describe my views. They're undoubtedly in the running though.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Don't play "NOT ENUGH ROOM". That's very silly.
Nah, it's perfectly logical. Some characters will most definitely be considered and make the cut before others. What happens to the characters later in line? They don't make the cut. Unless Sakurai ends up adding 25-30 newcomers. Which probably won't happen...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Nah, it's perfectly logical. Some characters will most definitely be considered and make the cut before others. What happens to the characters later in line? They don't make the cut. Unless Sakurai ends up adding 25-30 newcomers. Which probably won't happen...
Silly. They're good choices, and DEFINITE candidates among a pretty small pool. People stretch the pool out a lot. When really, I think we have probably 25 or less to choose from really.

You can't PIN the whole roster being small SPECIFICALLY on those two. It would be a tight fit for EVERY character. I think pointing it DIRECTLY at them, is silly.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@Chu:
He starred in one game, but there are three games in the series.
Kid icarus will also have 3 games in the series. Heck, Ice Climbers only had 1.

Still, does everyone actually believe that either Palutena or Medusa will make it simply because Sakurai revived the series? We didn't see Meta Knight or Dedede until Brawl and Sakurai actually created the Kirby series. Wouldn't he be afraid of "over-representing himself"? Surely, he must see that there isn't a need for a second character.

So for I am the only one...
Times are different. Roster selection has changed from the days of Melee to now as there are fewer characters to go around.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Silly. They're good choices, and DEFINITE candidates among a pretty small pool. People stretch the pool out a lot. When really, I think we have probably 25 or less to choose from really.

You can't PIN the whole roster being small SPECIFICALLY on those two. It would be a tight fit for EVERY character. I think pointing it DIRECTLY at them, is silly.
I don't disagree that they're good chices and definite candidates. I just think that there are more candidates that are much better picks. And I agree that we have maybe around 25 to pick from... but what are the chances that we'll see 25 newcomers?

I'm not pointing at directly those two, silly! I'm pointing at them and every other character that doesn't yet measure up to the many other choices from that pool of 25 or so that would make better picks.

@Spydr_Enzo: ToiseofChoice also doubts a second Kid Icarus rep.
I didn't see this until now, but it makes me feel better about not expecting a second Kid Icarus character. It also surprises me, because people tend to gravitate towards what Toise says except on this matter.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well guys, here it is, the concept I have been promising for awhile now. Luckily there are not very many, if any, spoilers in my concept. What even remotely might have been I left in a spoiler box at the end. So those who might not have played the game just yet should not have to worry too much. Still read at each one's own discretion, but I am just stating there will not be anything outright that will ruin any of the experience (I hope).

Coming from Skyward Sword is the bright and colorful city of Skyloft! Floating above the sky this city is the home of the remaining humans separated from the land below. The winds gently blow above as the winds carry the Loftwings and their riders.

The battlefield of the town is set on the Central Plaza deck furthest to the front next to the lighthouse. All of the city can be seen in the back from the houses, Beedle's shop floating in the air, the bazaar, the goddess statue, and on. Characters from the city will walk along the back. Throughout the sky you will see famous locales such as the Lumpy Pumpkin and other notable islands albeit obscured by the distance blur effect. Other details such as the pinwheels blowing in the constant wind will further enhance the experience of the level. Loftwings will soar in the sky as they and their riders are carried by the winds. Groose and his gang make small cameos as they pass along Skyloft in the air. Even Link's crimson Loftwing will be seen resting inside Skyloft at points on the deck background.

Where this stage begins to take it's liberties is below the stage will be islands that extend the stage farther below. All ledges on the islands are able to be grabbed along with the main stage. The island to the left along the bottom is actually an extension of the city that wraps along the bottom. However, these islands are not always safe... Occasionally between the gaps of the islands a common sky tornado will form, cutting off the rest of the islands momentarily. Jumping into the tornado will throw the character helplessly which could be dangerous if thrown far away or at an angle. So even though no damage is done there is no indication of where each careless character may wind up...

At points throughout the stage the goddess statue will alight and beam light towards the Thunderhead. The clouds will part from the Thunderhead for awhile exposing the Isle of Songs and Levias. After a small amount of time the clouds will begin to gather and form again, concealing both once more. Other times the statue will rumble as the S****ep extends below the dirt.

This level takes the beauty of Skyward Sword and wraps it into one large stage.

Stage Example:

...._______....
..__..........__
......_._...____

Stage Name: Skyloft
Stage Icon: Triforce

-Tracks-
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Skyloft
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Ballad of the Goddess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - The Sky
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Fi's Theme
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Moldarach
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Levias
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Battle with Ghirahim
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Stalfos ~ Mini-Boss
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Bellum
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Overworld
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The Hidden Village (Brawl)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Ocarina of Time Medley (Brawl)

Hopefully there were not too many spoilers. I tried to limit what I felt were the most spoilerish to the black box, but that may not have been enough for everyone. If that was the case I apologize. Hope everyone enjoys the concept.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Every time I hear Ghirahim's theme, I want Ghirahim in not just Sm4sh, but future Zelda games even more. Seriously, he's the best villain we've had in Zelda since WW Ganondorf.

For those of you who haven't beaten SS, you're gonna love him a lot at near the end of the game. That's all I'm gonna say.

Also:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not the "Only so many slots" argument. We do not know how many of any series will be allowed. In fact, the only thing I'd say we can count on is one character per series for 3rd Party only. And that might changed too.

If one series can get atleast 2 characters newly in one game, why can't other series? That makes no sense that any series should be targeted like that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
According to HyperFalcon's research, there are an infinite number of slots.

MAN, haven't done that one in a while.

D

Deleted member

sw96 said:
So who thinks ridley is gonna make it
anyone?
One of the very few that I expect to get in and the most likely newcomer.
smashbot226 said:
Wow, this thread is quite active. Lemme think... well, I'm surprised there's still so much request for Geno even though we have a much more popular character to work with that has the same ability
Surprisingly, Geno is in the Top 20 right now in the Top Roster Candidates v2 as well, whereas I would have expected him to fade. If he does remain, then there is a chance we are up for a revival of some sort of the fan base.
smashbot226 said:
lolPalutena,
Care to explain why?
Spydr_Enzo said:
I can confidently say that Kamek has pretty much NO shot at making the cut. Yoshi's Island is too closely related to the Super Mario series to actually be considered a completely different franchise that is deserving of a second character.
At this rate, they should just add Yoshi into the Mario franchise. Would be a good way to add a Mario rep and leave room for Donkey Kong to get King K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong and Wario to possibly get a second Wario character.
SmashChu said:
Just as an aside, Mario Kart DS only had 12 characters. I'm sure there is a reason Waluigi and Bowser jr. aren't in the game, but it is smaller because it is on a handheld.
The fact that Waluigi and Bowser Jr. did not appeal in MK7 and Super Mario Land 3D is a bad thing for them. Mario Kart 3DS had seventeen racers, so there was room for them. Instead, we get Queen Bee and Wiggler. This proves that Waluigi and Bowser Jr. are disposable whereas Toad is much harder to do so.
Spydr_Enzo said:
I didn't see this until now, but it makes me feel better about not expecting a second Kid Icarus character. It also surprises me, because people tend to gravitate towards what Toise says except on this matter.
I don't think many people gravitate towards what Toise say on Mario getting no newcomers, DK getting two newcomers, Wario getting a newcomer and F-zero getting a newcomer. So I'm not surprised.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
At this rate, they should just add Yoshi into the Mario franchise. Would be a good way to add a Mario rep and leave room for Donkey Kong to get King K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong and Wario to possibly get a second Wario character.
Switching what series symbol Yoshi has will mean absolutely nothing.

It's kind of like saying making Shiek her own slot will mean LoZ gets a fifth character.

IS IT REALLY SO EASY TO PULL A FAST ONE OVER YOU LIKE THAT.

D

Deleted member

Switching what series symbol Yoshi has will mean absolutely nothing.

It's kind of like saying making Shiek her own slot will mean LoZ gets a fifth character.

IS IT REALLY SO EASY TO PULL A FAST ONE OVER YOU LIKE THAT.
There is no way that any of the four Mario characters are realistically going to be cut. Put Yoshi in a symbol will satisfy those hoping for a fifth Mario rep and make up for a possible lack of one while giving room for DK/Wario to possibly gain a rep. Having Sheik in her own slot would give Zelda a fifth rep without having to add any newcomers (chances are that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are all staying along with a variation of child Link).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So it IS easy to pull a fast one over you then? Okay, thanks for letting me know.

I have some magic beans I'd like to sell you.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't disagree that they're good chices and definite candidates. I just think that there are more candidates that are much better picks. And I agree that we have maybe around 25 to pick from... but what are the chances that we'll see 25 newcomers?

I'm not pointing at directly those two, silly! I'm pointing at them and every other character that doesn't yet measure up to the many other choices from that pool of 25 or so that would make better picks.
I disagree. I would not say there are 25 good potential newcomers. Brawl has gotten most of the main secondary characters. I can't really point out 20 that have a realistic shot. Even some of my 13 I'm not betting on much. When I said times changed, I mean most of the strong candidates are already in the game. This is a big reason why Palutena and Medusa can get in.

Toise also said a Warioware character will happen, which very few agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom