• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Every time I hear Ghirahim's theme, I want Ghirahim in not just Sm4sh, but future Zelda games even more. Seriously, he's the best villain we've had in Zelda since WW Ganondorf.

For those of you who haven't beaten SS, you're gonna love him a lot at near the end of the game. That's all I'm gonna say.
Majora and Midna disagree with EVERYTHING YOU SAID KUMA.

Toise also said a Warioware character will happen, which very few agree with.
HAPPEN, I dunno.

BUTIWANTITTO.

ME-OW Oasis, you're a scratchy cat tonight. :3

Toad, Junior, Mona, Zoroark, Mewtwo, Victini, K. Rool, Dixie, Young Link, Ghirahim, Krystal, Ridley, Samurai Goroh, Roy, Krom, Palutena, Medusa, Shulk, Isaac, Little Mac, Takamaru, Saki, Megaman, SE character. TWENTY FOUR. All with DECENT chances.

I find it funny how excited I am for this game, when DEEP DOWN, I know I'm going to be going back to Melee after a year of it. >:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Majora came before Wind Waker. Midna is not a villain.
TRUTHFULLY, Majora never had a chance.

Midna.... really didn't either.

Ghirahim MAY, but I'm still doubtful. I mean, MOST big names were added DURING BRAWL. We have, like Dixie, Mac, Ridley, Isaac, K. Rool, Goroh left.... Mewtwo and Roy I SUPPOSE. That leaves room for a Ghirahim to be added. After Krystal.

Starphoenix is now a hippie hipster.
PSH, not with those sidebangs. He's going to have to come up with something more INDIVIDUAL than that to be Hippipster.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Maybe Sakurai will play his copy of Skyward Sword he has and discover just how fabulous Ghirahim is and sets his mind to including him? After all, the only opinion that matters is his. If he has a goal he can achieve with each character it really does not matter what fans think. Sshh don't tell, it's a secret to everyone.

Plus, you are all jerks. *runs away crying*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If he doesn't make Ghirahim playable, it'll make me furious! Outraged! Sick with anger!

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Quick, somebody tell Starphoenix his stage concept wasn't THAT bad. That'll cheer him up.
Not talking about that... Jerk...

If he doesn't make Ghirahim playable, it'll make me furious! Outraged! Sick with anger!
On the flipside, if he is in it will fill my heart with rainbows.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Like any Zelda boss, I saw a BIG OL' EYE on you and figured I should Stab the heck out of it. Yes, right where it hurts the most.
Your names hurt me Oasis... Very deeply. And they trouble me, immensely...

@shortie: Your post allows me to segway into a larger point.......tomorrow. bed for now.
What, no hint at least? :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
WE CAN ASSUME, it has to do with LEGITIMATE character choices, OR Ghirahim vs. other one shot Zelda characters.

EITHER DISCUSSION, I'm assuming I've already heard.

D

Deleted member

I feel as the vast majority of our newcomers will come from this pool:
- Toad
- Bowser Jr.
- Paper Mario
- King K. Rool
- Dixie Kong
- Young Link
- Ridley
- Zoroark
- Victini
- Mewtwo
- Samurai Goroh
- Roy
- Krom
- Palutena
- Medusa
- Takamaru
- Little Mac
- Isaac
- Starfy
- Saki Amamiya
- Mega Man

I want to say Ghirahim, Krystal, and Slime are realistic as well, but they are much more questionable then the above. Ghirahim's reception and demand is unclear (although looking mostly positive). Krystal has the high demand from Brawl and Sakurai basically hinting on the Lylat stage that Krystal is the next choice if there is any, but the franchise may end up taking a hiatus unless Star Fox 64 3D outsells Commands. Slime has one of the biggest history with Nintendo, but lacks the fan demand Mega Man (and to a lesser extend Geno) has and there is no proof that Sakurai will add characters outside of friendship and fan demand, not to mention we don't know if third-party characters will be returning and even if they do and we get a 3rd party newcomer, chances are that we'll just get one and with that most likely being Mega Man.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
SSBF, you disgust me. THREE MARIO CHOICES, and no Krystal.

You're never getting in now...

People who expect both Medusa AND Palutena are kidding themselves. I've been saying all along that I doubt another KI rep, and if there will only be one more if there are any more.
LISTEN TO THE BIRD. :3

Kantrip

Kantplay
People who expect both Medusa AND Palutena are kidding themselves. I've been saying all along that I doubt another KI rep, and if there will only be one more if there are any more.

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
SSBF, you disgust me. THREE MARIO CHOICES, and no Krystal.
Well to be fair, I could see Krystal in, but it seems more doubtful to me then others I've listed (I'm giving her a 42% of making it). Also, I see Mario getting another rep and given how well known they are, I can see those three as Toad/Bowser Jr. have played roles in mainstream games and Paper Mario is the best choice for a Mario RPG character.

D

Deleted member

You have to acknkowledge that Krystal is at least part of the pool.

She just won't make it in ;) :p
For possible newcomers? Any 1st or 2nd-party characters is technically possible so Krystal is a possibility. But is she someone I can say is a strong contender? That I am not sure on.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You have to acknkowledge that Krystal is at least part of the pool.

She just won't make it in ;) :p
coughcoughcoughPrincefluffCOUGHCOUGH

She will HAPPEN. I BET MY SWANNA ON IT.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I think Prince Fluff is a neat character.

He's not happening either though.

I'll gladly take your pokemon though.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Genesect and Deoxys are highly unlikely, Krystal has been discussed, many people dislike Tingle, Dark Samus is just... disappointing.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
WHY NOT Krystal?

Totally want to hear your answer.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I think Krystal has a shot but I don't WANT to see her in. I tell myself all the negative aspects about her so I can sleep at night.

However, if we get K. Rool and Dixie, I wouldn't even mind Krystal. I would happily welcome her appearance.

First off...... I'M TOO LAZY TO READ EVERYTHING SO I JUST SCANNED ALL THE PAGES

Regarding character slots: **** this. 50 slots. The end.

Regarding Krystal: **** this. She's still..... iffy - likely. IMO

Regarding gameplay: We can always just stay with the SSBB air dodge right? (Readies shield)

Regarding Shortie: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!? Do you understand what that means!? It means that Krystal is the only possible choice for a new Star Fox rep and you disagree with that!? SHAME
There is no way that any of the four Mario characters are realistically going to be cut. Put Yoshi in a symbol will satisfy those hoping for a fifth Mario rep and make up for a possible lack of one while giving room for DK/Wario to possibly gain a rep. Having Sheik in her own slot would give Zelda a fifth rep without having to add any newcomers (chances are that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are all staying along with a variation of child Link).
Lolwut. This ain't happening. Yoshi starts with the Yoshi emblem, it shall forever be the yoshi emblem for him

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Krystal is cool, but if there is no new Star Fox soon with her with an important role she will not make it.

And to be honest, same goes for K.Rool and Dixie, but they seem more likely to reappear to me.

5th gen Pokemon is also unlikely to me, unless say, they make a Wii U Colloseum or XD kind of game with the 5th gen. But I think we'll likely have a 6th gen by then...

:phone:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Dude really can you talk!!
I dont know what your trying too say?

I guess we'll just have to beat him until he screams and his crimson red blood spills!

Quick, somebody tell Starphoenix his stage concept wasn't THAT bad. That'll cheer him up.
Starphoenix, your stage concept wasn't THAT bad.

Well to be fair, I could see Krystal in, but it seems more doubtful to me then others I've listed (I'm giving her a 42% of making it). .
Still crunching numbers??

WHY NOT Krystal?

Totally want to hear your answer.
He probably doesn't want a 4th SF rep. That's all

Numbers? Isn't it a simple likely, iffy, unlikely, hopeless or cannot be determined?

Don't underestimate the power of..... NUMBER-- (Gets shot)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Mega-man and what about zero. :glare:
Who?

About how difficult it is to get third-party characters? If so, then I agree that 3 third-party characters is the max we should expect.
Very. He said it takes a while to get legal issues and whatnot sorted out; I heard we may have even almost gotten an extra third-party character, but Sakurai didn't have enough time to sort out the legal issues so he axed them from the roster

I'd like to see someone from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest get represented. Of course, I'd ditch Solid Snake beforehand.
But... but I love Snake :urg:

vicgur

Smash Ace
I don't know if it was discussed earlier, but I guess you guys already know the rumors about Sony's SSB rip-off crossover fighting game.

I'm not talking about details of this game.
It's just a thought:
Snake might not be a first party, but he has always been one of the most important characters in PS's history.
If he gets in that game, do you think it would decrease his chances to be in the next SSB?

D

Deleted member

Given that he got in by friendship on the Nintendo version, unless there's something that states he can't return for Smash 4 due to the unlikely case he joins the Sony's Smash game, I doubt it'll affect it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hopefully, I could remember all what I wanted to say. Oh well. here it goes.
Toad, Junior, Mona, Zoroark, Mewtwo, Victini, K. Rool, Dixie, Young Link, Ghirahim, Krystal, Ridley, Samurai Goroh, Roy, Krom, Palutena, Medusa, Shulk, Isaac, Little Mac, Takamaru, Saki, Megaman, SE character. TWENTY FOUR. All with DECENT chances.
Before I get into it, I would argue against some of those. There probably wont be Victini and Zoroark, and all we know about Krom is his name and his hair is blue. Also not sure why people think Bowser Jr. is likely at all, but that is another time. Your also assume third party characters will come back. There is a good chance they wont.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what I'm seeing and it applies to Spydr as well. As far as characters go, there are the new rules and the old rules. These are thoughts rather than actuality. This is how we think characters are going to be added.

The Old Rules look at popularity and worthyness. You can tell if someone is using this is they say "deserving," or sales is a big part of their discussion.
The New Rules are trying something different. It's using what Sakurai has said as well as looking at characters.

They key difference is your looking beyond the readily known facts. There are very few facts with the new rules. Some things like sales still matter with the new rules, but only to an extend. Like, if a new IP came out and it sold 10 million copies, than it is defiantly getting it. Also, it the character is extremely popular. It would be where the character is so popular it's hard to ignore.

So now, let's go back in time to the days of Melee and 64. When these games were made, they were not only the first. The characters in these games were the cream of the crop for Nintendo. They were Nintendo's most predominate series and most popular. These games also didn't have a lot of development time and resources. 64 was a cheaply made game that was never expected to leave Japan. Melee was made in 13 months. The clones were added as a result of the team feeling the roster was too small. So who got added was limited.

Let's fast forward to Brawl. Brawl was a totally different context from the first two games. Most of the main Nintendo characters were gotten in Melee and 64. The ones who were left were all secondary characters to the 64 characters and Melee had all the big secondary characters (like Bowser, Zelda and Mewtwo). Brawl was different in that it was playing with the scraps so to speak. It also had more characters thanks to more time and resources. A big thing with Brawl is that it had a torrent of characters. Outside of maybe a few characters, most the character were on even footing and there were a lot of them. Popularity didn't work as well as they were about the same save a few. We had more characters than knew what to do with.

So what does this have to do with the silly rules thing? The old rules are a direct result of Melee and 64. Melee and 64 both look at the most important characters, which is where sales, number of games and popularity came in. They were the top contenders. Brawl had a lot of characters who were all pretty good. It wasn't as obvious who was going to get in. So rules that work during Melee don't work during Brawl, and people using them (myself included) were wrong. The problem is that the rest of the Smash games going forward will be like Brawl until we run out of characters. Then it will be different. But for now, Brawl is the rules.

What the new rules try and do is pin characters down not on popularity, sales, or number of games. Most of these facts have gone belly up. The new rules try to predict characters using something else. The problem is it is hard to say what matters, but Sakurai gave us some guidance on his 4 rules. The thing I have been looking for in characters is are they likable and are they important. I use to say to look at "good," characters, and this is what I mean. Basically, are they really an All-Star. The thing is this isn't an exact science and there is very little, if anything, that is quantifiable. This is probably why people like the old rules because you can quantify a lot more. It's easier to argue.

Going to some of the characters Shortie brought up, here is the thing. Bowser Jr. would be an example of a character I'd say is not likable (which is why I never thought he would happen). There is a lot more dislike for him usually by older players. I tend to see young people support him. Krystal is kind of the same as there is a decent about of dislike for her, but it probably isn't a big deal. But these would be characters I wouldn't be sure of because they are less likable and also less important that other characters out there.

So why Palutena and Medusa? Part of it does have to do with the revival of the series, but in a different context. The characters in the series are pretty important. The fact that they are both getting their own OVA is proof that they are important enough. They also seem like characters people can really get behind. A big reason why the revival matters is because they would be ignored otherwise. It's the same reason I wouldn't nominate Zoda from Star Tropics. He is important to that series and could be likable, but no one cares. He is very distant. But Uprising puts the Kid Icarus series into the spot light, as well as it's characters.

So I'll close this with two things. First, when talking about characters, think more with new rules. Try to chose characters on characters themselves and how people would think of them and less on the series they come from. And second, as a disclaimer, remember that everyone will be wrong. No one guess the Brawl roster and I doubt it will change for SSB4. The goal I set is to be close enough. So think what you want to think. Just try to be as close as possible.

yani_

Smash Ace
Why say the third parties are unlikely to return? By them being included in Brawl anyway, it already takes away from it being "Nintendo Allstars" due to the fact that Brawl is canon in the smash series (where as something like Mario Kart Arcade GP ft. Pac-man isn't canon to the MK series). Unless you're refering to Snake and Sonic not returning in place of two new third parties which also seems unlikely. Snake was begged to be in Melee and Brawl. He sorta had a role in the SSE (I guess?) + codecs were a fun element. No character will ever top the Sonic fanbase and Nintendo+Sega are BFF's now. Why wouldn't Konami and Sega want their mascots in one of the most if not most popular Nintendo game? I'm sure the inclusion of Snake inspired some people to play the MGS series as well. It wouldn't make sense for the companies to not let Sakurai use them in the next installment.

edit: I'm not sure how true this is but I recall seeing somewhere that Sega mentioned that they were never asked about putting Sonic in Melee, but if they were they would have allowed it.

mariodk

Smash Ace
Geno
Kid goku or adult(never will happen but can still dream but if a anime char. ever joins SSB it will be him just look at fan made SSB games they got goku and goku is like the mario/micky mouse of Animes)
Dr. mario as alt. colour over Mario(like biker/classic wario got) and fireballs for mario/piles for dr. mario
WaLuigi
Bowser jr.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Why say the third parties are unlikely to return? By them being included in Brawl anyway, it already takes away from it being "Nintendo Allstars" due to the fact that Brawl is canon in the smash series (where as something like Mario Kart Arcade GP ft. Pac-man isn't canon to the MK series). Unless you're refering to Snake and Sonic not returning in place of two new third parties which also seems unlikely. Snake was begged to be in Melee and Brawl. He sorta had a role in the SSE (I guess?) + codecs were a fun element. No character will ever top the Sonic fanbase and Nintendo+Sega are BFF's now. Why wouldn't Konami and Sega want their mascots in one of the most if not most popular Nintendo game? I'm sure the inclusion of Snake inspired some people to play the MGS series as well. It wouldn't make sense for the companies to not let Sakurai use them in the next installment.

edit: I'm not sure how true this is but I recall seeing somewhere that Sega mentioned that they were never asked about putting Sonic in Melee, but if they were they would have allowed it.
I could go on and on about how third parties wont be added, but I'll say this.

1)It is not a walk in the park to add any third party character. You have to go though a lot of legality, and pay fees to use them. Sakurai has also gone on record say it's harder to make third party characters work than building a game from the ground up. Adding them isn't easy and having a lot of them (3,4 or even 5) is hard to keep up
2)As much as you think otherwise, the game is still a Nintendo All Star game. Sakurai has defined it as such and it's plastered all over the game in terms of advertisements
3)Games have guest characters all the time (which is what the third parties are. Sakurai even said that on the Dojo). Usually they are kicked out after a game. They rarely, if ever, come back. This is why you don't see Yoda in SC5. You also wont see banjo in the next Sega All-Stars game. I'm sure there are more.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So I'm guessing it was a miracle to get BOTH Snake and Sonic in?
Probably...

Although based on the Brawl Sakurai interviews, and how he was planning on more 3rd parties, I do think that Sakurai puts a lot of effort into 3rd parties, if the above statement is true.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Although based on the Brawl Sakurai interviews, and how he was planning on more 3rd parties, I do think that Sakurai puts a lot of effort into 3rd parties, if the above statement is true.
I haven't actually seen that interview and I've only seen other people say it without a source. I'm not sure if it's true at all.

Basically, someone needs to go find a source.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I haven't actually seen that interview and I've only seen other people say it without a source. I'm not sure if it's true at all.

Basically, someone needs to go find a source.
I think it was more or less the fact that he said he was planning 1-3 after Snake or something.

Either way, I think you have a point SmashChu, Sakurai did say that Brawl was a once in a lifetime opportunity...

EDIT: http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol7_page3.jsp

There's 1 source, I'll take me some time to find the other.

yani_

Smash Ace
I could go on and on about how third parties wont be added, but I'll say this.

1)It is not a walk in the park to add any third party character. You have to go though a lot of legality, and pay fees to use them. Sakurai has also gone on record say it's harder to make third party characters work than building a game from the ground up. Adding them isn't easy and having a lot of them (3,4 or even 5) is hard to keep up
2)As much as you think otherwise, the game is still a Nintendo All Star game. Sakurai has defined it as such and it's plastered all over the game in terms of advertisements
3)Games have guest characters all the time (which is what the third parties are. Sakurai even said that on the Dojo). Usually they are kicked out after a game. They rarely, if ever, come back. This is why you don't see Yoda in SC5. You also wont see banjo in the next Sega All-Stars game. I'm sure there are more.
But the thing is he already made them work once, which would make it much easier to do it again ( for snake and sonic that is). Kinda stupid if you have to pay to use snake considering he was begged if you ask me /facepalm

It definitely is a Nintendo all star game, but he still broke his rule, and in doing so he KNOWS people are going to request 3rd parties now. Kinda F'd himself :laugh:

And with SC, the guests are usually console exclusive (Link for GC Spawn for Xbox, Yoda for 360, Vader for PS3) which I would say is really to determine which system you'll buy the game for (for the multi-system owners of course). Even with Sega All-Star Racing, 360 version had Banjo which was the selling point to get it for 360 as opposed to buying it for Wii or PS3 (wii was supposed to have Mario :laugh: )

Unless you know of a game that featured guests that wasn't multi-platform (or was but had the same guests in each game) then I think my argument just might be fair game :cool:

edit- to the other conversation, Sakurai said including Snake he may put 1 or 2 more 3rd parties. I know for a fact I saw that somewhere, which is why everyone believed there would be three 3rd parties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom