• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I was actually suggesting you rotate it 45º to the right. You barely nudged it. XP
Well you when you just say "rotate" it is a little ambiguous don't you think? hahaha

Stupid transparency isn't working either... Time to go look at that.

I always equate "FF" to Final Fantasy, but I'm not sure how it's that...

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Not quite 45º, but I'll stop being picky. It's not mine. =P

You can have transparency with a jpg. It has no alpha channel.

And is it Final Fantasy or not? =P I'm so confused.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It is supposed to be a Final Fantasy crystal, but since apparently every body only sees a rupee I am redesigning it.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I wasn't under the impression that Crystals were a characteristic element of Final Fantasy games...

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Well that's all well and good if the character(s) in question are from games where crystals are important. =P But the crystal structure is different from that of rupees.

Otherwise, if the character is unrelated to crystals... doesn't make much sense to use a crystal. FF is a franchise that's so diverse that it's difficult, if not impossible, to come up with a symbol that really represents the series.

A Chocobo is pushing it, in my opinion, as he's a mascot, not a symbol.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Who say's they couldn't? Final Fantasy's crystals preceded rupees. :p
The Swastika was originally a symbol of peace or good luck before it became the symbol for the Nazis.

The point is, that crystal structure is most easily recognized as a rupee, despite what it's intended to be. Communication is about what is received, not what is said.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The Swastika was originally a symbol of peace or good luck before it became the symbol for the Nazis.

The point is, that crystal structure is most easily recognized as a rupee, despite what it's intended to be. Communication is about what is received, not what is said.
You have to go and throw logic into my teasing... Party pooper...

Fine, give the icon to freaking Tingle for all I care. I'm sure he's dying to have anything to remind him he is somehow relevant... I'm going to go find something else to tinker with.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I'm a graphic designer. You can't expect me to not take anything design-related seriously. XP

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm a graphic designer. You can't expect me to not take anything design-related seriously. XP
Hey, I'm not far behind you. I'm still not sure of the direction my IT major will take me, but if it's graphics design, watch out! I'll be making Kirby Hats that are DEVOURING your Kirby hat's buddy! lol

Does "om nom nom" come to mind? Cause that's what I'm hearing.

Ahhh I'm having way too much fun with this. Time to bring it back on topic, whatever that is?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, nobody answered my question. How are we determining what the requested/popular characters are?
There really is no way to tell what officially are or are not the most supported character until an official poll is held by Nintendo and they subsequently release the results. I'm hoping they hold an international poll, so Sakurai can have a broader scope on what fans are requesting.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well, nobody answered my question. How are we determining what the requested/popular characters are?
For the most part, at least in the backroom, we base it on requests we've seen from various sites around the web including Japanese ones.

We think back to who was requested before in the Melee and Brawl polls. Characters brought up in Sakurai interviews, and data from past games in the series.

Throw in which characters have had games recently, ATs/Pokeballs (which were created to include popular characters that couldn't make it in), and statements from 3rd partys as well and you have said characters chances.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Right. So what are we going off of now that we can say that the dog isn't a popular pick?
Because after spending enough time of the internet you get a general feel for who is being requested more often than not.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Or you could run into a very vocal minority and get the wrong impression

Ridley

B!squick

Smash Master
A popular thought I had for Bowser on the Bowser Board was that they could combine the Klaw from both games to where it'd work like it did in Melee, only you'd just hit up to do the Flying Slam.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

So I'm having trouble coming up with a Starfy icon... these are what I've come up with so far.

Bubbles and Clamshells....

I feel like the first 4 are more characteristic of SSB symbols, being rather straightforward or symmetrical, while the last one is the most understandable or clear, but is more dynamic in terms of implied 3-dimensionality.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...I like the second one for some reason, but the middle one would probably be best. Maybe I'm a sucker for symmetry or something.

@JayDeth: That would be the best. Options are the best.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I like the last Icon. Probably because I can recognize it the most. The third one reminds me of Clampearl a LOT.

Probably because I'm playing Sapphire for the fifty thousandth time. I've played that game so much, I no longer use starters because I don't need any MORE repeats on PKMN White.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom