• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Starting to look grim. With a FE Lord practically guarantee, the only way he's likely to get in is if we get over 45 Nintendo characters in Smash. I'd say 45 slots, but the problem is that third-party characters are nearly guarantee to return and with the possibility of us looking at 3-4 third-party characters and one of these being Mega Man, Sakurai may cut Ray to avoid going overboard with characters.

As a Ray supporter, it's pretty painful knowing that there aren't any debates about Ray's chances, indicating that he's among Sora, Travis Touchdown, and others; mostly forgotten.

At this rate, the only way I can see him beating the odds is either third-party characters being removed or the game getting 50 or more slots; and neither are likely options. This is also quite possibly his last real shot at a roster so if Ray does not get in now, he will probably never get in. A tragedy that has befallen Deoxys.
What made you make such a turn around on third party characters? It's funny, I spoke with some gamer guys from my college. The brought up the subject of Smash Bros and third party characters. Most all of them believe third party characters are returning.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I guess there goes another possible franchise for SSB4, and while this makes debating somewhat easier, I must say it's somewhat disapointing. :(

Oh well, at this point his best chances are another game to come out, but I doubt that may happen. Although CR would look awesome on the 3DS. :cool:

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
the possibility of us looking at 3-4 third-party characters
I'd like to point out two things, one of which I've probably said several times:

1) Third party guest characters are expensive, that's why you rarely see more than two in any given fighter.

2) Third party characters are essentially a crap shoot. Fans will flock to any third party mascot, but what ultimately determines which, if any, make the cut, are the ones that the developers pursue and more importantly the ones that make it through negotiations. I don't even consider Megaman a shoo-in, because even his inclusion is dependent on quite a lot of charmed politics.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's funny, I spoke with some gamer guys from my college. The brought up the subject of Smash Bros and third party characters. Most all of them believe third party characters are returning.
Hmm, I told a few people in my gaming club at my college what we were expecting character wise. For the most part they agreed, although they had no idea who Takamaru was. :laugh:

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
What made you make such a turn around on third party characters? It's funny, I spoke with some gamer guys from my college. The brought up the subject of Smash Bros and third party characters. Most all of them believe third party characters are returning.
I have no doubt that Nintendo is attempting to snag third party characters for SSB4. The question is which are more accessible, and will they succeed in snagging them. There's a very real possibility that Konami won't renew Snake, Nintendo will go after characters like Megaman and Ryu, negotiations will go South, and Nintendo will have to make a last minute plea to Sega to at least let them reuse Sonic. That's just a worst case scenario, though personally if it's just Sonic, I'd rather they just go back to a Nintendo-only roster.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I have no doubt that Nintendo is attempting to snag third party characters for SSB4. The question is which are more accessible, and will they succeed in snagging them. There's a very real possibility that Konami won't renew Snake, Nintendo will go after characters like Megaman and Ryu, negotiations will go South, and Nintendo will have to make a last minute plea to Sony to at least let them reuse Sonic. That's just a worst case scenario, though personally if it's just Sonic, I'd rather they just go back to a Nintendo-only roster.
If I had to choose third party series that I know for a fact Nintendo could get the license to I'd go with Sonic the Hedgehog and Dragon Quest. Nintendo is still partnering with Sega to develop the Mario and Sonic series, so it looks like both characters are going to continue having a very happy crossover relationship. Plus Sonic was one of the most requested characters for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and maybe even for Melee. Dragon Quest is practically Nintendo's adoptive series for the time being. With the Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Collection, Fortune Street, Rocket Slime 2, and Dragon Quest X coming up. Nintendo looks to continue adding to their already impressive exclusivity with the series. Not to mention, while not as large in the West, the series is a cultural phenomenon in Japan. Nintendo is still seeking to improve this series image in the West, Smash Bros could be just a way of doing that. It would be killing a lot of birds with one stone.

Those are two active partnerships I see Nintendo being able to get better deals on.. Even though they do not offer much in way of a character. I feel The Tetris Company could allow Nintendo to be able to implement a Tetris stage. Considering they were kind enough to allow Sakurai to use two Tetris tracks.

Anyways, these are my thoughts.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I have no doubt that Nintendo is attempting to snag third party characters for SSB4. The question is which are more accessible, and will they succeed in snagging them. There's a very real possibility that Konami won't renew Snake, Nintendo will go after characters like Megaman and Ryu, negotiations will go South, and Nintendo will have to make a last minute plea to Sony? to at least let them reuse Sonic. That's just a worst case scenario, though personally if it's just Sonic, I'd rather they just go back to a Nintendo-only roster.
It's Sega m8 I guess you dozed of while typing xD.

EDIT : Anyways g2g guys college is calling me :).

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
If I had to choose third party series that I know for a fact Nintendo could get the license to I'd go with Sonic the Hedgehog and Dragon Quest. Nintendo is still partnering with Sega to develop the Mario and Sonic series, so it looks like both characters are going to continue having a very happy crossover relationship. Plus Sonic was one of the most requested characters for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and maybe even for Melee. Dragon Quest is practically Nintendo's adoptive series for the time being. With the Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Collection, Fortune Street, Rocket Slime 2, and Dragon Quest X coming up. Nintendo looks to continue adding to their already impressive exclusivity with the series. Not to mention, while not as large in the West, the series is a cultural phenomenon in Japan. Nintendo is still seeking to improve this series image in the West, Smash Bros could be just a way of doing that. It would be killing a lot of birds with one stone.

Those are two active partnerships I see Nintendo being able to get better deals on.. Even though they do not offer much in way of a character. I feel The Tetris Company could allow Nintendo to be able to implement a Tetris stage. Considering they were kind enough to allow Sakurai to use two Tetris tracks.

Anyways, these are my thoughts.
Yes, I'd agree that Nintendo is on very good terms with the Sonic and Dragon Quest franchises. I'd say Sonic and Slime are solid safeties.

When did Sega and Sony become one?

Sega owns Sonic...
Sorry, mistype. Kind of doing this while watching a movie.

D

Deleted member

Probably should have worded that better. I definitely support third-party characters returning and think they will; but given it was such a popular concept in Brawl, Sakurai will be considering putting them back in. There is nothing I have against them. It's just that I'm not optimistic about Ray's chances.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Shiny Zoroark confirmed?

Lady Gaga confirmed as first fourth party.

Oh, and Saki placed on that poll at number 25! Mona placed at number 82. I missed them. Sorry!

Also, I posted this on Nsider. They suggested a few characters to add. Anyone else have suggestions?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well for one you can add Chrome to the list.
Duh. So far I have:

Chrome
Possibly that new girl
Magnus
Excite Bike (IDK HOW they didn't get on)
Andy Advanced Wars (same thing)
Trainer N
Pokemon Villain Trainer [Rocket, Galactic, Plasma, Aqua, Magma]
Genesect
Elza
Kanan
Shulk
Jiro *Pukes*

Someone suggesr I re-add Sigurd? Should I? FE people. Help.

Haha, nice list there, I'll have to check that poll soon I guess.
Oh no. I don't edit my polls. They are supposed to stay the same. These puppies are being added to my post E3 2012 poll.

HatGuy

Smash Rookie
I have an idea for a new character. Missingno! You unlock it by losing 100 VS. matches in a row. Moveset!

B= Glitch
Side B = Glitch
Down B= Glitch
Up B= Glitch

So yeah if you use any of his moves your game crashes and brakes your wii. Top Tier!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I somewhat agree with this, it just depends if the company involved is willing to do so.

:phone:

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
@shortycanbrawl:

I got some suggestions.

Dr Wright (Sim City)
Duck Hunt Dog (Duck Hunt)
Excitebiker (Excitebike)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Midna (Human/Imp Transformation)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@shortycanbrawl:

I got some suggestions.

Dr Wright (Sim City)
Duck Hunt Dog (Duck Hunt)
Excitebiker (Excitebike)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Midna (Human/Imp Transformation)
Thanks. I don't think I'm going to add a second Midna. I don't like adding doubles of characters.

I don't see how I missed DHD, Andy, and Excitebike. I'm ********.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hey I'd hate to go off topic but I have a few questions:

1. I'm working on my roster and am trying to narrow down possible choices, and seeing as Ray chances have gone way down. How do people feel on the other AT characters: Issac, Saki, Little Mac, and Starfy?

I'm pretty sure only 3 of them will make it, so what does everyone think now about their chances? In particular Starfy since we haven't disscussed him in a while.

2. Also I'm working on my edited Mewtwo moveset, so since he floats what would be a better idea for him to gain:
  • The ability to float like Peach?
  • Or the ability to glide?
  • Or neither?

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. I don't think I'm going to add a second Midna. I don't like adding doubles of characters.
Your Welcome.

I can understand why you might not want to add in a 2nd of the same character, but what about the fans that prefer Midna fighting on her own rather than on Wolf Link?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@shortiecanbrawl- Wouldn't Lady Gaga be 5th party (if there is such a thing) lol? Lady Gaga is a non-fictional character, 4th party I assume would be fictional, non-video game characters while 5th would be real-life characters.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Your Welcome.

I can understand why you might not want to add in a 2nd of the same character, but what about the fans that prefer Midna fighting on her own rather than on Wolf Link?
Well, I understand. I had that as a choice for a day or so. But I thought it was too many options for such an insignificant character. i don't mind having multiple Toon/Young Links or Peach/Luigi's.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'd hate to go off topic but I have a few questions:

1. I'm working on my roster and am trying to narrow down possible choices, and seeing as Ray chances have gone way down. How do people feel on the other AT characters: Issac, Saki, Little Mac, and Starfy?

I'm pretty sure only 3 of them will make it, so what does everyone think now about their chances? In particular Starfy since we haven't disscussed him in a while.

2. Also I'm working on my edited Mewtwo moveset, so since he floats what would be a better idea for him to gain:
  • The ability to float like Peach?
  • Or the ability to glide?
  • Or neither?
I think Starfy would be a lot of fun. He would be very light, but extremely fast and floaty. He can move around the stage as if he was swimming in water.

Though I do think that the other 3 might have a better chance since Kirby & Starfy seem like rivals to one another due to art style, not sure what Sakurai's thoughts might be on that.

And also, I think Mewtwo should float like Peach. Though he can fly, for some reason it would be awkward to see him glide.

D

Deleted member

I think the three AT's that have the highest chance of getting in are Little Mac, Isaac, and Saki Amamiya for various reasons. Starfy is a close fourth; but I think they all have a decent shot at the roster. For further thoughts, here:
Little Mac ~ Probable

I would be surprise to see him not make the cut. He is very highly requested to be playable in this part of the world, remains relevant to gaming thanks to Punch-Out!! which did great in sales, not to mention he is pretty much made for this game and that the Punch-Out!! series is important to Nintendo. His Assist Trophy status is also helpful and it shows his move set potentials.

The only thing that may keep him out is his lack of popularity in Japan, but if Sakurai looks out west, he is near a lock.
Isaac ~ Considerable

Golden Sun stands a very high chance of getting a character and out of those, I consider Isaac the most likely.

Isaac is one of the most highly requested newcomers not yet playable, is the most important character in the Golden Sun series, and he still remains relevant to the series to this date. Lack of Japanese support for a Golden Sun rep and Matthew keeps him off of Probable, but he's the second most likely rep from a new series to get in (First being Punch-Out!! and an extremely close third is Sin & Punishment).
Saki Amamiya ~ Considerable

Sin & Punishment has a very good chance of getting a playable rep this time around and most people are supporting Saki Amamiya.

Saki has quite a few things going for his inclusion. The first thing is his popularity among the Smash community as he has been highly requested (a Sin & Punishment rep is decently requested in Japan as well, which helps in a slight way). He also seems to be the face of the series, being the main character of the original and making a cameo in Star Successor. The success of Sin & Punishment on the Virtual Console was responsible for a sequel, which speaks volume for his chances as a playable character. What helps him the most is his Assist Trophy status. Not only does it show the strong move set potentials he has, he also seems the one closest to have been a playable character, as shown by the polish of the model and Sakurai recognize that people wanted Saki in.

That doesn't make him a shoe-in. Being mostly irrelevant to gaming and competition to Isa Jo could cost him a spot. Still, he's a likely candidate to get a spot.
Starfy ~ Considerable

Has a strong shot of getting in this time around. Starfy has a decently-selling series of games that did much better when the series went oversea with the fifth game and is considered to be Kirby's rival, which already makes sense for him to be playable. He has also been pretty popular with requests lately.

That said, bad Assist Trophy treatment could keep him out.
Just some thoughts I put on GameFAQs. Almost all requests that I can even put at Marginal has been done, but if you feel you have someone who thinks has a shot of getting in but hasn't been mentioned, feel free to leave a comment. here

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Mewtwo Specials:

BasicB -Psycho Cut: Hold down be, and tap up, down, forward, or backward and he a psychic slash slices in those directions.
ForwardB - Barrier Break: Mewtwo does a "rush" forward, breaking through a light screen and ramming the opponent. This could be used to lenghten the life of a combo.
DownB -Swift: A few feet in front of Mewtwo, three stars fly from the ground. This could be used to bounce and opponent who is flying away from you, back to you for some more combos/smash attack. The longer you hold down b, the further away swift is.
UpB - Psychic burst: Mewtwo flies in whichever direction you choose. (Think Fox's upB) Hitting the opponent doesn't hurt them. When you stop, Mewtwo looks at the screen and his eyes glow blue. Psychic energy then starts radiating from him. At this point, if an opponent is close to you, they are grabbed by your psychis ability, and the move turns into a throw.

You like?

All four of them have a solid chance I suppose. Buuuuuuuuuuut Little Mac sounds boring. I would prefer one of the other three. Saki or Isaac. Best choice: Ayumi Tachibana

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So many choices, but I'm only guessing all 4 of them will be in if we get a 49 or 50 character roster. (I'm making my roster based on 48 characters, 12 newcomers + Mewtwo)

@Shortie

If you posted that for me, I'm not making a complete overhall of Mewtwo, only buffing, but I do like the idea of Psycho Cut. I'm currently debating if his D-Special should be changed so I'll keep it in mind. ;)

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think of Dr. Wright as a playable character?

I've made a move set for him long ago if anyone is interested in seeing it. its a full move set also

Here:

Series: Sim City series

Emblem/Symbol: small set of buildings

Stats
Size: 3/5 ( he would be Mario’s height.)
Speed: 3/5 (he has decent speed in moving and attacks)
Strength: 3/5 (little over decent damage since his moves are based on city disasters)
Weight: 3/5 (he is average weight)
Recovery: 4.5/5 (has great recovery with his Up Special & Side Special attacks)
Gravity: 3/5 (falls at average speed.)

Abilities:
Wall Jumps: No
Wall Grab: No
Glide: No
Crawl: No
Tether Recovery: Yes, with his Grab attack (read below)

Control:
Walk: he walks normal like a average citizen on the sidewalk
Run: he jogs forward as if he is jaywalking.
Dash: he dashes the same way he does when he sees a disaster coming in Sim City.

Number of Jumps: 2 Jumps (first jump he upward with decent height with his limps diagonally downward and head forward. Second jump will have him do the same 2nd jump as Mario’s.)

A Attacks
A: Right Side Jab: he will strike with a right jab while his body positioned sideways. 3% damage.
AA: 2nd Right Side Jab: will perform the same punch again the same way. 3% damage.
AAA: Wand Poke: he will poke his foe with that stick he carries. 2% damage.
Rapid A: Rapid Wand: after performing the 3 moves hit, he will rapidly swing his wand upward and downward as if it was a sword. Good combo. 2% damage per hit.
Side A: Forward Kick: he does a side kick forward. 6% damage.
Up A: Headbutt: he does a headbutt to anyone above him. 8% damage.
Down A: Low Double Kick: he will be in a seated position and kick both feet forward while his hands are behind him holding him up. 6% damage.

Air Attacks
Neutral Air: Front Kick: he kicks his left leg forward. 5% damage.
Forward Air: Backhand Slap: he backhand slaps his opponent with slapping sound effect. 5% damage.
Backward Air: Leaning Headbutt: it is the same backward air attack as Wario. Could be effective due to his big hair. 7% damage.
Up Air: Mid-Air Headbutt: he does a mid-air headbutt. 7% damage.
Down Air: Double Fist: Dr Wright would cross his legs apart and swing his fist downward. Meteor Smash. 10% damage.

Grab
How He Grabs: Dr Wright will pull out a long tax bill (which is a long list) and launches it forward as he holds on to one end. Once the bill makes contact to a foe, the one end of the bill will be wrapped around the torso of the foe. From there, Dr Wright yanks back his half side of the bill, causing the bill to roll back while the foe is trapped until they come to Dr Wright. This move is also useful for tether recovery.
Grab Attacks:{/b] Slapping Bill: as he still has a hold of his foe in old hand, he slaps them with the bill on the other hand. 2% damage per hit.
Forward Grab: Forward Toss: tosses them forward. 8% damage
Backward Grab: Back Toss: tosses them back. 8% damage
Up Grab: Up Toss: tosses them upward. 8% damage
Down Grab: Ground Toss: tosses them on the ground. 8% damage

Ledge Attack: Kick: he climbs back up and does a low kick. 5% damage.

Smash Attacks
Side Smash: Public Fist: Dr Wright ***** back his fist and throws a haymaker forward, works like the Falcon Punch, but without having to kneel down for the wind up. Good knockback. 14% damage when fully charged.
Up Smash: Sewage Leak: Dr Wright points his wand to the ground in front of him revealing a sewer lid. As you charge the attack, the sewer lid will begin to shake (indicating its rumbling). Once fully charged, a spring of water will shoot the lid upward in full speed hitting anyone by the side and above. It goes up to a little over Ganondorf’s height. Good knockback. 15% damage.
Down Smash: Jackhammer: Dr Wright will pull out a jackhammer. If charging, he will position it in front of him the same way Ike’s Special B does. Once fully charged, he drills it to the ground for a few seconds. As he is drilling, rocks will fly diagonally upward on both sides hitting near-by foes. Good combo from the rocks. 10% damage.

Special Attacks
Up Special: Tornado: this move is based off one of the disasters in the Sim City games. A tornado will appear under Dr Wright and continue to grow (3 times Dr Wright’s height) but still slim. Dr Wright will be in a seated position on the top funnel of the tornado as it brings him up higher. Tornado pushes Dr Wright a few inches higher before it disappears. 9% damage to anyone under the tornado.
Neutral Special: Burning Bricks: Based off a burning building from Sim City, Dr Wright will throw a red brick that is on fire. Goes as far as Dedede’s Waddle Dee throw. Not much knockback but it can stun a foe as they burn, repeated burns like Ness’s PK Fire. 11% damage from impact, 2% from burns.
Side Special: Flood Wave: based off the flood in Sim City, a ocean wave the height of C.Falcon will appear behind Dr Wright and he will ride it forward in a seated position before it shrinks and disappears. Good reach (good use for recovery). Knocks foes to a further distance. 12% damage.
Down Special: Earthquake: based off the Earthquakes in Sim City, Dr Wright will point his wand down as well as his other hand. From there his arms begin shaking. As this is happening a crack on the floor will appear and continues to crack forward a few inches. Any foe in contact with the crack, will get damaged and send up in the air. 13% damage.

Final Smash (note) cant decide which one of the 3 is best so choose.

Rush Hour: When Dr Wright gets the Smash Ball, he will wave his wand and out of nowhere, vehicles and different types of public transportations will appear from all sides of the stage and dash across hitting the foes. Works like Dedede’s final smash.
Cars: 10% damage
Vans: 15% damage
Trucks: 20% damage
Buses: 25% damage
Subways: 30 damage

Skyscrapers: Dr Wright does the same move he does as an assist trophy in Brawl, but bigger and more effective. 40% damage.

Under Construction: Dr Wright will hop into a Wrecking Ball vehicle. Press A to swing the wrecking ball. Can do damage even when it is getting cocked back. Works like Fox’s final smash, without the hovering and instead has 2 jumps. 20% damage when runned over, 30% damage when hit with wrecking ball.

Taunts
Up Taunt: Dr Wright tosses his wand in the air and catches it.
Side Taunt; Dr Wright straightens his glasses.
Down Taunt: Dr Wright fixes his tie and dust off his suit.
Victory Taunt 1: he fixes his tie and puts his fist on his hips.
Victory Taunt 2: he bows down to his right side and then the left side with both hands behind his back.
Victory Taunt 3: Dr Wright stands behind a podium waving to the crowd.
Losing Taunt: claps while standing sideways with a mean look.

PLEASE RATE

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It is definitely interesting. The tornado special made me giggle for some reason... Don't ask. Anyways, it was good. Only thing I am unsure about is the grab. It seems rather awkward in my opinion.

8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom