• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I was happy when Dixie wasn't a duo partner.

I'd imagine the horrible things they'd do in tourneys...

Chain grabs + Bananas + Monkey Flips + F-air + Ground game x2. Nooooooo

The old man is here

Off for now

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Also found out from Toise that his Japanaes board jumping has a relatively good sample size. Even dug through 2ch to see what characters they are talking about.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Also found out from Toise that his Japanaes board jumping has a relatively good sample size. Even dug through 2ch to see what characters they are talking about.
Wait what?! This is the **** I've been waiting for! Who are the talking bout?!

Also, I wouldn't say Paper Mario is THAT unlikely, even if it is less than Bowser Jr. at least. I just think he'd be such a cool character!

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm assuming the guy regularly visits a japenese forum, right? is he gathering new info like character popularity and such? Any kind of polls? It might give some kind of indication since they hold greater influence than us, sadly.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wait what?! This is the **** I've been waiting for! Who are the talking bout?!

Also, I wouldn't say Paper Mario is THAT unlikely, even if it is less than Bowser Jr. at least. I just think he'd be such a cool character!

His own words:
On another note, I went Japanese message board surfing for the first time in a while. Didn't spend a whole lot of time there, but neat regardless:

- A LOT of people asking for Mewtwo and Roy (also Lucario/Zoroark/Marth/Ike discussions why not)
- K. Rool, Shulk (Xenoblade), and Miis came up regularly
- Square-Enix had the most discussion out of all third-parties (mainly Slime and various FF characters)
- Decent amount of mentions for Mega Man, Professor Layton, Dixie Kong, Takamaru, Claus, more F-Zero and Metroid in general, and some Last Story/Zangeki no Reginleiv characters
- Black Shadow-dorf and Ridley's size came up more than once

- Very few mentions for Little Mac or anyone from Golden Sun
- Only one mention for Krystal and Victini each
- Nobody was talking about new Mario, Zelda, or Kid Icarus characters at all

@Chu: Actually, I'd say the most pronounced difference was the lack of Mario character discussion. Everyone here treats it as an inevitability, everybody there figures that series is set. The biggest similarities were Pokemon and DK though.

@Shorts: They actually talked about Capcom quite a bit, just not as much as Square-Enix and not always about Mega Man (some Monster Hunter stuff, I was pleased).

@Star: Well technically your essays will always be in vain, but I know I wouldn't care if I were in your shoes. Also I saw some mentions of Chocobo, but I'm not sure if it was for ChocoSlime.

Oh yeah, they too talk about casuals ruining gaming and some of the professional players from SmashBoards (M2K I think? and Ally? I think that was it). Popped into my head just now.
He's actually gone back surfing several times to try and give us in the social group an idea of the kind of characters being discussed.

I'm assuming the guy regularly visits a japenese forum, right? is he gathering new info like character popularity and such? Any kind of polls? It might give some kind of indication since they hold greater influence than us, sadly.

I'd have to see, doubt he is going that far.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Oh that post. Disappointed no Paper Mario. If he has the ability to post there ask him to use Google Translate to at least mention him. :[

OmegaXXII

Don't worry, it's too early for any real confirmation regarding rosters, remember development hasn't begun yet, planning is or will be taking place.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Wait! Even the Japanese love K Rool?! YESSSSSSS! AND they want Layton?! Be still my heart!!!!!

OmegaXXII

Layton will probably make the roster, You did read that article right? I wouldn't worry so much about Layton, tbh I'm more worried about Megaman.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wait! Even the Japanese love K Rool?! YESSSSSSS! AND they want Layton?! Be still my heart!!!!!

How do you think I felt when I saw that Slime was getting the most Square Enix discussion? Literally my following post was "I WANT TO BELIEVE!!!!" Followed by this. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/CloakedShadow/kh3.png

Layton will probably make the roster, You did read that article right? I wouldn't worry so much about Layton, tbh I'm more worried about Megaman.

I'm not, the way I see it now easily these third partcy characters could be in the next game. Together.:

Solid Snake
Sonic The Hedgehog
Megaman
Slime
Professor Layton

I'm now becoming a Layton fan so I'd enjoy seeing him.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So...what about the Kirby hat thing you were talking about yesterday.

How so?

Also, I asked Toise if he knew which B-list/C-list Nintendo series was receiving the most active discussion. Hopefully he will come back with some information.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
How do you think I felt when I saw that Slime was getting the most Square Enix discussion?

Professor Layton

Attaboy. And to be honest, as much as I don't think Slime "deserves" to be in Smash, its kind of hard not to LIKE him when you look at him. Although I'd MUCH prefer him paired with Chocobo. So it seems as if Geno had lost all of his support? Well, time to give that up... Good night, sweet prince.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Attaboy. And to be honest, as much as I don't think Slime "deserves" to be in Smash, its kind of hard not to LIKE him when you look at him. Although I'd MUCH prefer him paired with Chocobo. So it seems as if Geno had lost all of his support? Well, time to give that up... Good night, sweet prince.

Believe me, I'd much prefer a Chocobo/Slime team too. That is the whole reason for my group. If it does not happen I'm still content with Slime (or Chocobo). Both characters represent their series well withough potentially alienating people. Together it would be a megaton in Japan, Slime and Chocobo alone would probably sell 5 million copies of the game. lol

One thing interesting note is Toise seemed to hint that he could have sees suggestions for Slime and Chocobo. Which is encouraging to me if true.

Let me ask you Hoots, if I wanted to get a Professor Layton game what would be the best one to purchase?

OmegaXXII

I'm not, the way I see it now easily these third partcy characters could be in the next game. Together.:

Solid Snake
Sonic The Hedgehog
Megaman
Slime
Professor Layton

Yes, I would have too say that those five are the most likely we are to get as characters concerning 3rd party characters, hopefully this will come to pass.

Hopefully, Toise will get back at you with some good information.

For some reason Hoots was my inspiration as to why I like Professor Layton, not to mentioned that 3DS game that might get localized by level-5.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Believe me, I'd much prefer a Chocobo/Slime team too. That is the whole reason for my group. If it does not happen I'm still content with Slime (or Chocobo). Both characters represent their series well withough potentially alienating people. Together it would be a megaton in Japan, Slime and Chocobo alone would probably sell 5 million copies of the game. lol

One thing interesting note is Toise seemed to hint that he could have sees suggestions for Slime and Chocobo. Which is encouraging to me if true.

Let me ask you Hoots, if I wanted to get a Professor Layton game what would be the best one to purchase?
I like the third one the best, but it is better to start with the first. I've now replaced Geno in my roster with Slime/Chocobo... God help me.

Did the dude mention Tom Nook, Tingle, or Starfy at all? And what about this Shulk guy? Does he stand a chance?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yes, I would have too say that those five are the most likely we are to get as characters concerning 3rd party characters, hopefully this will come to pass.

Hopefully, Toise will get back at you with some good information.

For some reason Hoots was my inspiration as to why I like Professor Layton, not to mentioned that 3DS game that might get localized by level-5.

I could see them breaking up the third party characters to specific games.

3DS:
Solid Snake
Slime (and possibly Chocobo)

Wii U:
Sonic The Hedgehog
Megaman

Special Downloadable:
Professor Layton

Solid Snake and Slime would be able to be transferred to the Wii U version, but it would require purchasing the game. An incentive.

Also, for kicks and giggles here are my Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest music selections if either series were in.

Final Fantasy - Battle Scene (Dissidia)
Final Fantasy II - Rebel Army
Final Fantasy III - Vs. Dark Cloud
Final Fantasy IV - Boss Theme
Final Fantasy V - Clash on the Big Bridge
Final Fantasy VI - Dancing Mad
Final Fantasy VII - Jenova
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun
Final Fantasy IX - The Dark Messenger ~ Battle against Trance Kuja
Final Fantasy X - Seymour Battle
Final Fantasy XIII - Blinded By The Light
Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel

Dragon Quest - Overture/Title Theme
Dragon Quest I - Chateau Ladutorm
Dragon Quest II - Endless World
Dragon Quest III - Fighting Spirit/Zoma
Dragon Quest IV - Battle For The Glory
Dragon Quest V - Monsters In The Dungeon/Tower of Death/Dark World
Dragon Quest VI - Monsters!
Dragon Quest VII - World of the Strong
Dragon Quest VIII - Defeat The Enemy/Great Battle in the Vast Sky
Dragon Quest XI - The Observatory
Dragon Quest VI - Pegasus
Dragon Quest Monsters - Never-Ending Journey
Slime Mori Mori/Rocket Slime - Find the Slimes!

I like the third one the best, but it is better to start with the first. I've now replaced Geno in my roster with Slime/Chocobo... God help me.

Did the dude mention Tom Nook, Tingle, or Starfy at all? And what about this Shulk guy? Does he stand a chance?

Oh stop it, it isn't that bad. :p

No, I've asked him about the lesser series and which were being discussed. So he might possibly get back with me on that. As for Shulk, he is the main character from Xenoblade.

[COLLAPSE="Shulk"]
[/COLLAPSE]

His chances are ok, if his title does well in Europe...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is literally the first post I've seen you mention Japanese people without typing in a fake accent about how much they hate Rare lol
If the Japanese want K. Rool, I'm pretty sure that the following is what they're thinking...

スマッシュ4のK. Rool。

That's Japanese for "K. Rool for Smash 4.".

Hoots

Can Be Combative
So he's pretty much a gay(er) Sora with a blade of the non-key variety. He seems... a tad generic to me. Is Xenoblade really popular or...? Slippery Japanese with their crazily different tastes. This is so difficult! I need to finish my roster!!!!!

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So he's pretty much a gay(er) Sora with a blade of the non-key variety. He seems... a tad generic to me. Is Xenoblade really popular or...? Slippery Japanese with their crazily different tastes. This is so difficult! I need to finish my roster!!!!!

Umm... If you want to put it that way?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Mega Man is pretty much in hot water, due to some of his game cancellations.

I'm pretty sure that by now, the Mega Man fans are thinking...

OmegaXXII

OMG!! I just realized that Slime would indeed open the doors to having FF music included as well.

It would be pretty weird having The One Winged Angel theme considering that Sephiroth wouldn't even be in the game, but his theme sure would.

I'm also looking forward to Dragon Quest or The Last Story themes as well, this time around we need more RPG based music, better yet orchastrated.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I'm curious on what kind of moveset Layton would have? I'd imagine half of his moveset would be based on puzzles and the other half would be that fencing sword thing he uses.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I'm curious on what kind of moveset Layton would have? I'd imagine half of his moveset would be based on puzzles and the other half would be that fencing sword thing he uses.
My dear boy, a true gentleman always brings a plethora of abilities to a Smash Brothers Tournament! From the movesets i've seen, he could use his sword, slot machine gun, camera, flying machine, the Laytonmobile, puzzles, Luke, that giant ferris wheel for a final smash, tea, hat, and a bunch of other things. There is actually crazy moveset potential for Layton.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Mega Man is pretty much in hot water, due to some of his game cancellations.

I'm pretty sure that by now, the Mega Man fans are thinking...
Actually it isn't as bad as many make it sound, as sad as it is to say Megaman Legends 3 made a lot of sense to cancel. Capcom has just recently stated it wasn't a decision they made lightly, they knew the decision was going to upset many, but it had to be done. It makes sense, the 3DS is not performing well at all and the way the gaming industry and economic state in both Japan and overseas is not in the shape to be taking risks. Especially if from initial research you see the potential demographic is too small to make a profit on. It may not be what Megaman fans or myself would like to hear, but this is the truth. Megaman Universe's cancellation was likely a result of Inafune's resignation as he had such a large hand in developing that title. After his departure there was no way to continue the project apart from him. Plus the reviews were less than stellar so I believe the decision was easy.

Capcom hasn't suddenly shafted Megaman out of spite, there are very credible hints pointing to Megaman X being made available to Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 towards the beginning of next year or sooner. As far as Megaman in Super Smash Bros. is concerned, Capcom USA has already pushed for their Japanese offices to contact Nintendo and Project Sora. Considering Sakurai has already been asked about Capcom specifically and has publicly stated that the door is always open shows me that if Capcom can get a hold of him prior to development he can be one of the first characters being in production (which means expect him to be in the inevitable E3 2012 reveal trailer).

On top of that I doubt Capcom or Nintendo are going to ask for another Capcom character, fans have made it clear they want Megaman. Even those within Capcom have said similar things. The question was posed within Capcom Unity and Svensson Christianson stated (though not in my thread) that Megaman is the obvious choice and the one he personally prefers. Yoshinori Ono, the man over the Street Fighter series, even said if he could pick one character for Smash Bros it would be Megaman. Stating that he "fits" the Nintendo theme best.

While I understand the cynicism it isn't appropriate to include his potential inclusion in Super Smash Bros. A crossover is a much different type of game.

Megaman is still the most likely addition for a new third party character followed only by Professor Layton and Slime or another Final Fantasy character such as Chocobo or Black Mage. Whether Solid Snake or Sonic the Hedgehog return is to be seen, but if nothing else Sonic The Hedgehog is more likely to return.

It is possible for all 5 characters to be in the series at once without croding the roster. If we had Solid Snake, Sonic The Hedgehog, Megaman, Professor Layton and Slime present in a roster of 45, that would only be 11.4% of the entire roster.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Id say we'd be more likely to have a 50 character roster since there will probaby be fewer/no cuts or transformations.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Id say we'd be more likely to have a 50 character roster since there will probaby be fewer/no cuts or transformations.

Even better, than 5 third party characters would only be 10% of the entire roster. The only reason I bring it up is many suggest more than three third party characters would over-saturate the roster. Where as if you look at it, 90%-92% of the characters remain Nintendo exclusive.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Wolf and Lucas are hardly clones. :I

Actually, never mind. I dunno why I'm so anal about that, lol. BUT YEAH. Variety for Sm4sh.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Wolf and Lucas are hardly clones. :I

Actually, never mind. I dunno why I'm so anal about that, lol. BUT YEAH. Variety for Sm4sh.
When they essentially have all the same specials just to save Sakurai work, I consider them clones.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I personally hate how Sakurai copies specials of another character in the same franchise and just give them different attributes. It's okay if it makes sense (like Link & Toon Link, Ness & Lucas) but he didn't have to do it to Luigi and the Space Animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom