• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My main beef with both of them is that there is too many third party characters. This is a Nintendo crossover for a reason.
Not to anger the "returning 3rd party naysayers" and the anti-3rd party posters in general, but I think 4 3rd parties is entirely possible for Smash 4, especially if two of them are Sonic and Snake. I think there is a very good chance of getting a Namco rep now, and Megaman is still the most requested 3rd party, so I can see Sakurai making the effort to include him. I think three 3rd party newcomers is pushing it though, which Roster 2 contains.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Habanero, only 2/25 of the slots are for 3rd Parties. It isn't really too much. 8% of the slots, in other words. It's really not too bad, and entirely possible.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Still, there should still be a limit to how many. Too many can tarnish the original purpose of Super Smash Bros. being a Nintendo crossover, not a cheap advertisement poster found on the streets. I think two is enough to fill in the niche for now, any more feels like its pushing it. At least in my eyes.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
What are the best Dragon Quest games out right now for someone who wants to get into their series at this time?

Yeah, the possible chance I'm getting an mmorpg Dragon Quest X for the Wii U in the US has got me interested, so what? :laugh:

@Yani, it is almost like you split my favorite things in half, then dropped them evenly in two rosters. They both tear at my heart strings. :urg: Ghirahim in the second, but possessing two Namco reps dropping Snake (not a Layton fan, especially if he kicks out Snake who while isn't needed, deserves to be in more, in my humble opinion), lack of Mewtwo (most demanded thing ever), then Isaac, Tingle, Little Mac, and Saki, four characters I can't care for. Also no Roy. XD Edit: Just noticed Little Mac is in both. Cut him out and put Debbie in! Hahah

yani

Smash Lord
It was just for fun my fellow Smash speculators. I wanted to see if people would prefer some cuts in favor of more new characters vs no cuts and fewer new characters. If there aren't any cuts though, four third parties is fairly reasonable.

Roster 1 for me
;)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Still, there should still be a limit to how many. Too many can tarnish the original purpose of Super Smash Bros. being a Nintendo crossover, not a cheap advertisement poster found on the streets. I think two is enough to fill in the niche for now, any more feels like its pushing it. At least in my eyes.
I agree there should be a limit on how many 3rd parties there are, and it should be in the far minority compared to Nintendo characters, but personally I think as long as the 3rd parties make up less than 10% of the roster, the balance is still acceptable. I strongly doubt we'll get more than that in Smash 4.

Plus the Nintendo-only crossover image sort of already got tarnished with Brawl. Now if it doesn't have 3rd parties, people will complain. :laugh::rolleyes:

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a problem with third parties as long as they don't feel forced and are there just to be there which is why I'm sorta echty on dlc and the characters they'll add

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think so.

Mega man was associated with Nintendo for a long time anyway, for example

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Plus the Nintendo-only crossover image sort of already got tarnished with Brawl. Now if it doesn't have 3rd parties, people will complain. :laugh::rolleyes:
The sad part is that regardless of what happens to third party characters, people will still complain. Removing, adding, or replacing, nothing will be universally approved by everyone.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
Which would you prefer? Why?

[COLLAPSE=Roster 1]

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE=Roster 2]

[/COLLAPSE]
Neither of the rosters are great, but I definitely prefer roster 1 over 2, because the roster is more interesting than the second one (though I would really like to see some exclusives from roster 2).

Roster 1 has more returning characters, Takamaru and Solid Snake, which makes me very happy.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I think they should only add one 3rd-party character for every 10 first or 2nd party characters added. At 50-52 characters, that would mean I couldn't condone 1 or 2 third party characters. But could Pac-Man be implemented without making him too balloonlike a la Kirby, Purin, and to an extent, Meta-Knight and King DeDeDe? More importantly, beyond the 4 colored ghost shroud thingies, the fruits, and the giant pellets, I simply can't imagine a good moveset for him. It's going to take a lot of creativity, all for a yellow 3/4 spheroid thing.

It's anyone's guess whether a Tekken or Soul Calibur series character would be a good idea since they're already designed for their respective series of fighting games and rarely appear elsewhere. Obviously we'd have to pick one, but I wouldn't look there either.

Honestly, part of me is adamant there should be exactly one new 3rd-party character, with a little subconscious disrespect for those who want 2 or 3 new ones. But if another Namco character has to round it out at 4, I'd have to support the hero of Tales of Symphonia on the grounds that Tales of... is Namco's jurisdiction.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The sad part is that regardless of what happens to third party characters, people will still complain. Removing, adding, or replacing, nothing will be universally approved by everyone.
That's true. There will never be unanimous agreement on how and how much 3rd parties should be implemented (at all). I think the majority of people (in general, not on here) would be upset at the removal of Sonic and Snake (Sonic especially), and would also be upset if no new 3rd parties were added. I'm not saying that the average Smash player knows best on how to handle 3rd parties (far from it), but it will probably be taken into consideration when developing the Smash 4 roster. But overall, yeah, there will never be total agreement about 3rd party involvement and implementation.

Neither of the rosters are great, but I definitely prefer roster 1 over 2, because the roster is more interesting than the second one (though I would really like to see some exclusives from roster 2).

Roster 1 has more returning characters (Y NO R.O.B.?), Takamaru and more 3rd parties (which I think this game needs, but not way too many), which makes me very happy.
Both rosters have ROB and 4 third parties.

yani

Smash Lord
Should Smash 5 have more 3rd parties? Especially if Royale becomes a success and gets even more new IPs for the PS4?

Just wondering...
I wanna see how many third parties Sony will get. Not that it would necessarily affect what Nintendo does, but it's nice to get an idea of what is possible.

Also, ROB is under Olimar in Roster 1.

They both look the same to me.

What's the difference?
Roster one has no cuts. Roster two has more newcomers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Should Smash 5 have more 3rd parties? Especially if Royale becomes a success and gets even more new IPs for the PS4?

Just wondering...
I'm guessing Smash 5 will have more 3rd parties than Smash 4 does (if veteran 3rd party characters do indeed return) regardless of PSASBR. Even if it's just one more third party, they add to the hype and sales, and by then people will expect at least 1 new 3rd party with each Smash.

Smash shouldn't (and won't) add more 3rd parties than it would normally because of PSASBR. First off, Sony needs third parties alot more then Nintendo does to sell its game (there are alot more recognizable and game-selling Nintendo characters than Sony characters), and secondly, I doubt Sakurai will try to compete with PSASBR at all in the third party department (he doesn't really need to).

EDIT: Roster 2 has Pac-man, Mega Man and Sonic... Solid Snake is missing...
Or is there someone else? :p
Layton is 3rd party.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
I'm guessing Smash 5 will have more 3rd parties than Smash 4 does (if veteran 3rd party characters do indeed return) regardless of PSASBR. Even if it's just one more third party, they add to the hype and sales, and by then people will expect at least 1 new 3rd party with each Smash.

Smash shouldn't (and won't) add more 3rd parties than it would normally because of PSASBR. First off, Sony needs third parties alot more then Nintendo does to sell its game (there are alot more recognizable and game-selling Nintendo characters than Sony characters), and secondly, I doubt Sakurai will try to compete with PSASBR at all in the third party department (he doesn't really need to).
I guess you're right...
I was just thinking if 3rd parties would matter a little more in the future, depending on how things will go with Nintendo, Sony, 3rd party developers and what exactly would people like to see and play...

Anyway, none of that matters atm (maybe)

Layton is 3rd party.
LOL, didn't knew that...
I was pretty sure that he was a Nintendo exclusive...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
It was just for fun my fellow Smash speculators. I wanted to see if people would prefer some cuts in favor of more new characters vs no cuts and fewer new characters. If there aren't any cuts though, four third parties is fairly reasonable.

Roster 1 for me
;)
If Starfy was in the first one, yes. But he isn't... So I'm conflicted...

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
I would imagine that Yoshimitsu would be the best choice for a Namco Bandai character in the game. He represents both Soul Calibur and Tekken which has people from both in the development team and he has a great Smash Bros. move set. I'm sure he won't be stabbing himself but he does have sword pogoing and sword helicoptering and spinning around like a madman.

Over all I'm very impressed with the announcement though. I think it'll go a long way to making the next Smash Bros. more competitive and a deeper, richer experience. I also think it'll be pretty interesting seeing a different artistic take on classic Nintendo characters. I think Bowser is going to look awesome. Let's hope they do a good job on balancing so that he's more than a punching bag.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
With these guys making the game super different and elaborate costumes are almost guaranteed!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Dixie and K. Rool are long overdue for a Smash Bros. debut, in my opinion.

Is there any chance at all that new Smash will be competetive?
Well, Namco-Bandai has Tekken in their résumé, and Sakurai will leave character balance up to the developers. I'd say yes, it will be more competitive than Brawl. As for being more competitive than Melee or Smash 64, that remains to be seen.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I think we're most likely going to get a character from Namco. Pac-Man definitively seems like the best choice to me.

Apart from that, I'm confident that Namco will do a good job with the game. They have a lot of experience with fighting games. I'm just hoping SSB4 stay true to the series.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
King K. Rool is more deserving of a playable character title then Dixie Kong. At least in my opinion, I'm relatively indifferent with that subject otherwise.

Also a bit of clarification, the Wii U Pro controller is probably going to be the best controller scheme for this game. It may not be exactly like the Gamecube controller, but its still far better then using the Wii remote or the Wii remote + Nunchuck.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Okay, I was just wondering because it seems like we won't get to use gamecube controller. :(
See I would be mad but they have the Pro contoller for the Wii U and it looks pretty good so I'll be ok. A part of me will miss the GC controller though since Ive played 2 Smash games in a row with my wireless grey pad...

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I think we're most likely going to get a character from Namco. Pac-Man definitively seems like the best choice to me.

Apart from that, I'm confident that Namco will do a good job with the game. They have a lot of experience with fighting games. I'm just hoping SSB4 stay true to the series.

I'm sure it will since sakurai is still directing. as for pac-man I'm 93% positive hell be in the next game if not initially then through. Dlc

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still hope this game won't get increasing number of 3rd parties... I mean, that'd would really destroy the Nintendo-onliness there even more...
While I do like Sonic's presence, I don't really mind if 3rd party characters do not come back. After all, Super Smash Bros. primarily focuses on 1st party characters.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Hoping for a better :lucas: in SSB4.
Lucas seemed to be very good in brawl by my standards he was better ness other characters such as bowser and Zelda need more balancingalso I'd love if rayman was in it after all ubisoft and Nintendo have a terrific relationship.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hoping for people hoping for hopeful stuff to hope about for hopefully years. Hopefully of course.

(Except for Meta Knight, that guy doesn't deserve more hope to be hopeful about)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
What are the best Dragon Quest games out right now for someone who wants to get into their series at this time?

Yeah, the possible chance I'm getting an mmorpg Dragon Quest X for the Wii U in the US has got me interested, so what? :laugh:
If you have a 3DS or DS I'd suggest finding a copy of Dragon Quest V online and starting with that. Dragon Quest V is generally considered to be one of, if not the, best game in the series. It has a compelling story, a very fun monster recruitment system, and the music is memorable (to me anyways). Dragon Quest VI is fun too, even though a lot of people say it is the weakest in the Zenithia Trilogy (IV, V, VI). Never played Dragon Quest IV, but I hear it is very fun.

Dragon Quest IX is also there if you like a pseudo-MMO type game. There is so much post content stuff it is freaking insane, especially when hunting for Legacy Maps.

Are people still talking about Namco characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom