• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
These are the Mario stages I would like to see in Smash 4:

Bowser's Castle from Super Mario series
New Kingdom from New Super Mario Bros. series
Rainbow Road from Mario Kart series
Starship Mario from Super Mario Galaxy 2
World 1 from Super Mario All-Stars

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Was it Platinum Games that Sakurai snuck into some time ago? Apparently Metal Gear Rising was made by them.

Raiden confirmed.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Arcadenik
How could you forget to add the Airship from Super Mario Bros. 3=??? :confused:
Was it Platinum Games that Sakurai snuck into some time ago? Apparently Metal Gear Rising was made by them.

Raiden confirmed.
They are also making Project P-100. Plus he is friends with people who work there (and Kojima).

If Sakurai getting anything from Platinum Games, I suspect extra content stuff, like trophies, stickers, music, and other misc. content from Project P-100. :bee:

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Johnknight1 said:
How could you forget to add the Airship from Super Mario Bros. 3=??? :confused:
There's been a lot of ships passed around as stage ideas, including this, GangPlank or Gloomy Galleon (I want one of those to be a starting Donkey Kong stage), and Sandship from Skyward Sword. Melee had Rainbow Cruise (#202), and Brawl had Pirate Ship (#331). If Airship is to be used to represent the Mario series, it would be best not to have a platforming area like Rainbow Cruise. From there, it's going to need a lot of elements to make it more interesting than the Rainbow Cruise. Rocky Wrenches, bullet bills, and cannonballs would be a start at least.

-J-

Smash Rookie
From there, it's going to need a lot of elements to make it more interesting than the Rainbow Cruise. Rocky Wrenches, bullet bills, and cannonballs would be a start at least.
I see where you're coming from with your reasoning. I'd love to see Gangplank Galleon representing King K. Rool should he reach playable status (which arguably, he should). Wow, never thought of Gloomy Galleon acting as a DK stage rep before, but darn, that'd be pretty cool. Loved me some DK64 back in the day, too.

Anywho, would totally love that idea for an Airship stage, too. If they were really basing this off of a set number ship stages and wouldn't allow each to make it, I'd have to give the edge to Gangplank since it is the best stage to represent K. Rool, whereas there are a myriad of stage ideas to represent the Mario characters, but I love the idea of having both! Furthermore, I totally agree with Bowser's Castle. It's about time we include that place in the "flesh", all considering. It would've even been perfect as early as Melee really, so it's time to come is long overdue. Would love that.

Rainbow Road sounds like an exceptionally good choice, as well. Comet Observatory is one to argue with over Starship Mario, but, I would actually personally agree with you and shoot for the Starship- it's just cool. :p Wouldn't mind either, though! We definitely need a Galaxy stage somewhere in there.

As for the Sandship, that would be so incredibly cool. It doesn't sound likely, but it sounds cool. I'd reckon we might see Skyloft itself, the Faron Woods and/or Eldin Volcano (maybe a "tour stage" upon a Loftwing for transportation???), but by God, if the Sandship wouldn't be the coolest thing. The whole idea of it in Skyward Sword itself was very cool.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
In my wildest dreams, this would happen for the Galaxy stage:

Works like Mushroomy Kingdom, in that, one of two stages can be fought on: Comet Observatory or Starship Mario.

Each one visits different Galaxies from their respective games. Yay, both Galaxy games get the spotlight.

And I suppose Rainbow Road is a good, iconic choice for Mario Kart, but all RR courses are just a bit bland to me.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd really like to just see a good course that isn't RR. Maple Treeway (my personal favorite ever), Waluigi Pinball, DK's Jungle Parkway, Dino Dino Jungle, Piranha Plant Slide, Music Park, Koopa Cape, or any other reasonably popular course would be a fun course to play on.

But if I had to pick a particular Rainbow Road, I'd pick the one from MK 7. I guess they could just create a generic Rainbow Road, but that wouldn't be as fun.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i cant believe you guys like that game so much... maybe it's just me cause i didn't like viewtiful joe... hmmm...
(this coming from the only guy here who got to play it... (unless RomanceDawn got to play it))

AIM0001

Smash Lord
These are the Mario stages I would like to see in Smash 4:

Bowser's Castle from Super Mario series
New Kingdom from New Super Mario Bros. series
Rainbow Road from Mario Kart series
Starship Mario from Super Mario Galaxy 2
World 1 from Super Mario All-Stars

I'd love to see Rainbow road and the music for that level could be a melody of all the Rainbow roads froms all the Mario Karts!

Heres my requests...

1. The castle with the sword with the face on it from MARIO RPG
2. King Dedede's wrestling ring
3. King K. Roole's pirate ship
4. Forest Maze stage (if Geno is in)

Hmm... I never really gave much thought to gaming crossovers. In the Zelda series there was Mario's mask on the salesman in MM, and there was portraits of yoshi, bowser, mario, and luigi in hyrule castle when you see Zelda.

Little tiny gaming pop-ups happen all the time, but I wonder if you could make a decent story out of it somehow. Hmm... I guess the best example would be the subspace emissary idea which was a flop. But perhaps it could be redesigned a bit more tastefully. Although, that would sort of ruin the universe all nintendo characters live in. Crossovers don't feel very natural. The adventure mode in melee felt like a better play than subspace emissary. Hopefully they will get around to improving their character-crossover-mix adventure in this next smash game.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet

Gave myself the challenge of trying to make a 44 character roster. It's really quite difficult trying to stick with that level of concision, but I'm pretty glad with the results. Things I was unsure about was: Toon Link; because I really dislike having both Link and Toon Link given they're the same character, but felt that Young Link suffered the same problem and I had to use at least one to fully honour the divergence in the Legend of Zelda series. Palutena; because I think Medusa also stands a very good chance and there is currently no villainous female on the roster. My decision was that I think currently Palutena has slightly more impact, given Medusa is
dropped halfway through Kid Icarus in favour of Hades
, but that was a 50/50 toss up. Saki; as I wasn't sure whether Saki or Isa would be more fitting. Ultimately I decided they're similar enough they could just be palette swaps of each other, so just resolved to use Saki as he was first (same reason that Marth is the permanent Fire Emblem representative). Isaac; over Matthew or Felix, and decided on Isaac for the same reason as Saki (palette swaps wooh!). I also thought very briefly about removing a Star Fox rep. Star Fox having 3 reps when the only game in the Star Fox series released between Brawl and SSB4 will have been a remake seems to be a little excessive. I wasn't sure whether I should remove someone, and if I should, whether it would be Falco or Wolf. Everyone else I'm absolutely happy with retaining. Thoughts?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
My suggestions would be:

- Don't remove Falco OR Wolf

- Add Mewtwo in

- Why replace Kanto Pokemon Trainer with Unova Pokemon Trainer? No offense, but that doesn't really make any sense at all

- Add Ike, Lucas and Lucario back in

- Add in Dixie Kong or King K. Rool as a Donkey Kong rep

- PERSONALLY, I would add Samurai Goroh as an F-Zero newcomer, but I won't hold that against you

- As for Roy, see Samurai Goroh

- Impa over Sheik? Please no. There's no reason to replace Sheik with her

- Why choose one specific version of Ridley? If you're gonna go with Ridley, just go with purple Ridley and just make Meta an alternate skin

Overall, my MAIN problem with your roster are the cuts and replacements you made. Impa over Sheik, Unova Pokemon Trainer over Kanto Pokemon Trainer, especially the latter. Pokemon Trainer should stay the way he is now; if you want me to explain my reasoning for both of those, then I gladly will. I gotta give you a 6/10 because pretty much everything else about the roster is solid, but I no like cutting

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Why so minimalist?

Also, cutting Ike and Lucario gives me sadness.

It was based of what Sakurai said about thinking that the way to approach SSB4 would not be to just pump in loads of new characters, but actually improving the gameplay. That made me think "what happens if the amount of new characters added is actually really small?". So, I decided to try making a 9 by 5 character roster, or 44 characters with Random. It was the smallest number I think we can realistically expect. It was interesting to try and be minimalist about it.

My suggestions would be:
- Don't remove Falco OR Wolf
- Add Mewtwo in
- Why replace Kanto Pokemon Trainer with Unova Pokemon Trainer? No offense, but that doesn't really make any sense at all
- Add Ike, Lucas and Lucario back in
- Add in Dixie Kong or King K. Rool as a Donkey Kong rep
- PERSONALLY, I would add Samurai Goroh as an F-Zero newcomer, but I won't hold that against you
- As for Roy, see Samurai Goroh
- Impa over Sheik? Please no. There's no reason to replace Sheik with her
- Why choose one specific version og Ridley? If you're gonna go with Ridley, just go with purple Ridley and make Meta an alternate skin

Overall, my MAIN problem with your roster are the cuts and replacements you made. Impa over Sheik, Unova Pokemon Trainer over Kanto Pokemon Trainer, especially the latter. Pokemon Trainer should stay the way he is now; if you want me to explain my reasoning for both of those, then I gladly will. I gotta give you a 6/10 because pretty much everything else about the roster is solid, but I no like cutting
I don't have the room to add all these characters without removing some others. Like I said in my post, I was setting myself the challenge of a 44 character roster - absolutely no more. If I add Mewtwo, I need to subtract someone, if I add Roy, I need to subtract someone, if I add Dixie Kong, I need to subtract one. I'm open to all your suggestions, but you'd need to name which characters you think I should take away.

I should have explained for Impa and Meta Ridley. I picked the Impa picture because I think Sheik should be heavily based on the Skyward Sword Impa, as the most relevant Sheikah to be seen in the series. Not actually literally Impa, but a Sheik rejigged to be heavily based on Impa. It says "Meta Ridley" because that's the tag that goes with that picture, which is the best picture of Ridley. I do mean generic Ridley Ridley, just wanted that picture.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Ah okay, so you're trying to make a 44-character roster

Okay, I see now

Personally, I would swap out Starfy for a Donkey Kong newcomer because I don't really see the need for Starfy at all (if you or anyone else can prove me wrong, then I'd be glad to hear it)

I would also replace Zoroark and Krom with Mewtwo and Roy

It's up to you, though

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Ah okay, so you're trying to make a 44-character roster

Okay, I see now

Personally, I would swap out Starfy for a Donkey Kong newcomer because I don't really see the need for Starfy at all (if you or anyone else can prove me wrong, then I'd be glad to hear it)
Starfy now has 5 games all to his own; which is a considerable number. Meanwhile, which Donkey Kong newcomers are relevant? King K. Rool is long forgotten; it'd be the equivalent of adding Vaati to the Zelda list. Their glory days are gone and they're no longer relevant to the modern series. If I was to add a Donkey Kong newcomer, it'd have been someone from Donkey Kong Country Returns. I don't really think there's anyone hugely relevant from DKCR. Cranky Kong, if you're pushing it?

I would also replace Zoroark and Krom with Mewtwo and Roy
Why? Again, Mewtwo is gone now. It would make no sense to have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo as the Pokemon representatives - that's 3 from Generation 1, which is just not representing the Pokemon series fully. Same goes for Roy. How many years has it been since a playable game with Roy was around? 10? I don't see him as relevant to modern Fire Emblem. The way I see it, Fire Emblem will probably always be represented by a combination of Marth and the most recent Lord. Once that was Roy, then it was Ike, now the title falls to Krom.

It's up to you, though
I'm genuinely interested as to what others would pick as their "minimalist" roster. I think in a way, it's a more interesting topic than what you'd have as your "ideal" roster; because it forces people to make difficult choices.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
@Deucalion's roster

TBH, the roster is somewhat small, but still a very realistic one...
Here's what I want to change:

- Replace Impa with Sheik
- Replace Meta Ridley with Ridley (make Meta Ridley as an alternate skin)
- Add Mewtwo, Marth (or Roy if you like him more) and maybe Lucas back in
- Add Samurai Goroh as F-Zero newcomer

Otherwise I think it's pretty good.
The following is just my personal opinions and some of them are less important than others:

- Add Dixie Kong or King K. Rool (I would probably choose him) as a Donkey Kong newcomer (PERSONALLY I like Krusha the most, but I know that he's not gonna make it)
- I would also like to add Lucario, but only if he's more like in Project M
- Remove Zoroark, just because his moveset does not interest me (PERSONALLY I think Metagross and Victini are far more interesting)
- Add Takamaru or Mach Rider (or both)
- Replace Bowser Jr. with Paper Mario
- Maybe add an obscure character (maybe Diskun?) just for fun...
- Remove Starfy because I don't think that he's important enough and I don't really see the need for him at all
- Add one more 3rd party character. I would personally add Commander Shepard from Mass Effect (I know he's probably not gonna make it, but I think the roster needs just one more 3rd party character)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
King K. Rool is far from long forgotten. He missed Returns. That's all. He's still the most important character from DK that isn't in, in my opinion.

Generations aren't what they are trying to represent in Pokemon. If that were true, we'd have gotten a Hoenn Pokemon in Brawl. Mewtwo is a memorable Pokemon who is desperately wanted to return, especially in Japan. Jigglypuff and Pikachu are 1/6 of the Original Twelve. Kanto PT has three of the most popular Pokemon in existence, or at least a form of them.

Also, Roy is playable DLC in the new Fire Emblem game.

I know the roster is minimalistic, but some of your reasons don't make sense in my opinion.

Also, just keep Sheik as Sheik. Not Impa.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess in the end, you just have to prepare for the worst. But it would suck if Smash 4 doesn't even use at least half of the maximum storage capacity that the Wii U discs are supposed to have.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
I guess in the end, you just have to prepare for the worst. But it would suck if Smash 4 doesn't even use at least half of the maximum storage capacity that the Wii U discs are supposed to have.
Yes it would really suck...
I also wished that Sakurai could take some risks and also add some characters that have more interesting playstyles and movesets than some popular characters. Is Jigglypuff a good example for this?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Warheart, the thing is... most people don't want new characters if it meant cutting the old characters, even if they did not like playing as them in Melee/Brawl. Same with how Marvel vs. Capcom 3 cut most of the characters from Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and added a bunch of new characters, causing some fans to complain, whine, and b***h about the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster despite the new characters adding some new and fresh playstyles.

If I told everyone that Mewtwo was getting cut and replaced with Lucario in Smash 3 - everyone would flame me and tell me I am an idiot who is wrong. And when it turns out to be true and people are upset about Mewtwo being cut... but at the same time, those same people start to like playing as Lucario and they don't want Lucario cut in favor of Zoroark for Smash 4. And the cycle continues.

So, even if we did get some cuts and added a bunch of new characters who replaced them like Krom, Impa, and Zoroark... sure, people will be hating those characters at first but eventually they will begin to like them and not want them cut from Smash 5. And it's because they blindly adhere to the self-imposed principle that "everyone who ever becomes playable in Smash must be playable in all future Smash games" as if Smash is some sort of a black hole that forces all the characters to be playable in all future Smash games once they became playable in a Smash game. Maybe that's why they don't want characters like Duck Hunt Dog and Tingle to be in Smash. They are afraid that if they are ever playable in Smash 4, they would have to be playable in all future Smash games. :troll:

Roy is an optional DLC character in the new Fire Emblem game whereas Krom is the main character of said game. That's why it makes sense that Krom would have priority over Roy.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
King K. Rool is far from long forgotten. He missed Returns. That's all. He's still the most important character from DK that isn't in, in my opinion.
I agree he's the most important character from DK that isn't in (well, possibly there's a case for Dixie Kong, but I favour K. Rool myself). My argument wasn't "which DK character is most important", my argument was "I have 44 slots. Is there a DK character who is important enough full stop to earn one of those slots?". I don't think King K. Rool is relevant enough. What's he been in since Brawl was released? Mario: Super Sluggers - a sports game. So, since Brawl was released, we've seen King K. Rool in 1 game - and it's a sports spin-off. That makes him, relevant to the modern day, roughly as relevant as Waluigi. If I was going to add another DK character, it would be King K. Rool, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying there's no need to add another DK character at all (or at least, and I must stress this, since some people seem to have missed it, within the constraints of a 44-character list!). If I had 55 to work with, he'd probably be there.

Generations aren't what they are trying to represent in Pokemon. If that were true, we'd have gotten a Hoenn Pokemon in Brawl. Mewtwo is a memorable Pokemon who is desperately wanted to return, especially in Japan. Jigglypuff and Pikachu are 1/6 of the Original Twelve. Kanto PT has three of the most popular Pokemon in existence, or at least a form of them.
The reason we didn't get a Hoenn Pokemon in Brawl is because Hoenn wasn't the most recent generation. I think Pokemon has something very similar to the Fire Emblem series going on with Smash representation. Fire Emblem gets Marth, plus the latest Lord. Pokemon get Pikachu and Jigglypuff, plus representations from the latest games (Lucario for 4th gen and Pokemon Trainer for FR/LG). If I was going to change one of the Pokemon representatives, it'd actually be Unova Trainer to Johto Trainer, so that it was Zoroark for 5th gen and Johto Trainer for HG/SS, to fit the pattern from last time. As it is, given BW2 will be on the way, I think I'd actually probably replace Unova Trainer with Unova Trainer 2 (I made this roster some time back).

So is Sigurd. So is Ira. So is Adan. Adan. Optional DLC alongside a good thirty other characters is not the greatest argument for relevance.

I know the roster is minimalistic, but some of your reasons don't make sense in my opinion. Also, just keep Sheik as Sheik. Not Impa.
Hope I've dealt with them effectively above. If it helps, most of the characters you mention (King K. Rool, for example) I'd add if I had more than 44 characters to work with. Also, I think I mentioned in a separate post somewhere, for that one I didn't literally mean replacing Sheik with Impa, I meant that as Impa from SS is the most relevant Sheikah to the Zelda series, modelling Sheik quite heavily on Impa in terms of look and moveset, rather than actually replacing Sheik. Just, the names came with the pictures. :)

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'm just wondering about the Zelda series take on Smash 4.

Are they going to go off Skyward Sword? Or will a more mature Zelda (that is currently planned for the Wii U, DUH) come out before Smash, and the design will be based off that?

If Smash came out before the new said Zelda game, would they still base the design off it?

Also, Smash has normally hit every console Zelda design, with Ocarina of Time in SSBM, and Twilight Princess/Wind Waker in Brawl. So I'm assuming they'd want to hit Skyward Sword's design as well. That scares me. I don't like the way that Zelda looks. At All. :S If this is an HD system, which it is, I want something like the Zelda tech demo they showed at E3 2011. You know?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Starfy now has 5 games all to his own; which is a considerable number. Meanwhile, which Donkey Kong newcomers are relevant? King K. Rool is long forgotten; it'd be the equivalent of adding Vaati to the Zelda list. Their glory days are gone and they're no longer relevant to the modern series. If I was to add a Donkey Kong newcomer, it'd have been someone from Donkey Kong Country Returns. I don't really think there's anyone hugely relevant from DKCR. Cranky Kong, if you're pushing it?

Why? Again, Mewtwo is gone now. It would make no sense to have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo as the Pokemon representatives - that's 3 from Generation 1, which is just not representing the Pokemon series fully. Same goes for Roy. How many years has it been since a playable game with Roy was around? 10? I don't see him as relevant to modern Fire Emblem. The way I see it, Fire Emblem will probably always be represented by a combination of Marth and the most recent Lord. Once that was Roy, then it was Ike, now the title falls to Krom.
Ahh the old relevancy argument, this is gonna take a while but I vehemently disagree with all this and I'll explain why:

King K. Rool isn't "long forgotten", for one, lol, he was in Super Mario Sluggers which only came out a few years ago. And even though he wasn't in Returns, he's still the undisputed main villain of the DK series and one of its most popular characters; why do you think the game was criticized for not having Kremlings and having Tiki Tongs instead? Aside from that, he's also one of the most requested and agreed upon characters for Smash left

And no, we wouldn't get any DKCR reps because the only thing they have going for them is that they are new (which isn't a lot). Contrary to what you might think, being new doesn't guarantee at all that said new character will actually get in; Wolf getting in over Krystal in Brawl should have proved that. If this relevancy thing you're fixated on were actually somewhat true, then we also wouldn't have gotten the Kanto Pokemon Trainer, we would have gotten a Hoenn or Sinnoh PT. We also should have gotten a Twilight Princess character in Brawl based on relevancy, right? RIGHT?!

Yes, I know Mewtwo is gone now. So what? Are you trying to say he can't come back just because he got cut? No offense, but that would be pretty foolish of you to say because we don't even know for sure why Mewtwo got cut in the first place and also, he was seriously planned to be in Brawl. It's pretty safe to assume that he was cut relatively late in development for Brawl due to time constraints, since every Smash game has been faced with time constraints (in case you didn't know, Mewtwo was also planned for the original Smash game, but cut due to guess what? Time constraints). Sakurai himself even said before that there was stuff he wanted to include in Brawl, but couldn't due to time constraints. That could include but not be limited to Mewtwo.

Mewtwo is the only character with a unique moveset to ever be cut from a Smash game, so that should tell you something right there. And since you yourself think that Pokemon needs to be represented more fully, when you stop looking at things from the surface, you'll realize that Mewtwo would only help your cause rather than hinder it because he is currently the only legendary Pokemon to ever be playable in a Smash game. Legendary Pokemon are a significant part of the Pokemon games, and who would be better to represent them as a whole than Mewtwo? He's the most popular of them all, being the strongest Pokemon ever at one point until Arceus came along. We already have the mascot, Pokemon Trainer and starter Pokemon, and regular, wild Pokemon. We've even had baby Pokemon represented in Smash before with Pichu in Melee, so all that's really left to represent would be legendary Pokemon. I don't really need to prove why he's a great choice for Smash, but aside from his popularity, Mewtwo is one of the most requested characters for Smash 4, up there with Ridley and K. Rool and Mega Man in terms of requests, even.

Also, 3 Pokemon from one gen is too much? Do you realize how many Pokemon there are in the 1st gen, let alone overall? So how would that be overrepresenting it, even in terms of numbers? And again, why are you so hellbent on representing every Pokemon gen? It's not important to do at all because it's not like becoming playable is the only way to represent every Pokemon in Smash. We have Pokeballs as items, so even if every single gen doesn't get represented with playable characters, we'd still get a bunch of them as Pokeball Pokemon. They wouldn't be playable, but Pokeballs are arguably an even more accurate representation of Pokemon in Smash than becoming playable because they assist the person who summoned them in battle by attacking others in some way, just like in the games, a Trainer summons Pokemon to help them out in some way. Anyway, more to the point, do you really expect Sakurai to just sit there and try to pick a Pokemon from every single generation to put in Smash as a playable character, just so every gen can get a "piece of the pie", so to speak? If so, then I don't know what to tell you other than that isn't realistic or necessary at all.

As for Roy, even if he weren't DLC for the newest FE game (that came out this year), what would not being playable for in an FE game a while really do to hinder his chances? Sakurai himself requested Roy to be in Melee before his game even came out (the only other known character he specifically requested to be in Smash was Captain Falcon for Smash 64, so that's saying something), and like Mewtwo, he was also planned to be in Brawl but likely cut due to time constraints. Also, just like with Mewtwo, he's one of the most requested characters for Smash, maybe not quite on the levels as say Ridley or even Mewtwo, but definitely up there in terms of how wanted he is.

Now for Zoroark and Krom... again, what exactly do you think they have going for them. They're newer yes, but they don't have anything else going for them besides that. Who even really wants them? They're only really brought up because a lot of people feel that Ike and Lucario will be replaced like "Mewtwo and Roy were" (which isn't really true, but that's what people out there think, so yeah) and that Zoroark and Krom would be the best replacements for them considering their similarities to Lucario and Ike respectively (well, Lucario and Zoroark aren't really all that similar aside from being canines, I guess, but again, that's what a lot of people think). Now, mind you, even if they do get in the game, there's nothing saying that they can't coexist with Mewtwo and Roy if THEY get in. I guess Brawl made people a lot more pessimistic about the roster than I originally thought, because apparently, it's just IMPOSSIBLE for Mewtwo, Lucario and Zoroark to be in the same game (same for Ike, Roy and Krom); it always has to be one or the other while the other one gets cut, I guess.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents. I look forward to seeing whether you actually respond or not and how you respond if you do

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But that Zelda tech demo at E3 2011 is based on Twilight Princess. It's only a demo, not a real game... just like that Zelda tech demo at Space World 2000 was based on Ocarina of Time.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
The cutting of certain characters has been a hot topic the past couple of days, and I must again ask why everyone's just so darn cavalier about cutting characters like Lucario, Lucas, and Red.

If I'm Sakurai, and I'm going the minimalist route, what am I going to do? Cut [popular as hell] characters just to replace them with similar ones (what people are suggesting for the Pokemon), or keep the vets and add completely new characters with the resources that would've gone to the replacements?

Myself, if I were to go all minimalist and create a tiny roster, it would start with no Brawl vets being cut. None. I would have to do some serious soul searching to just narrow it down to ten newcomers to make it 45 slots.

Even then, with 14 newcomers introduced in Brawl, I wouldn't say that 10 newcomers for SSB4 is necessarily the most realistic. Maybe adding the same number of newcomers, rather than more or less than the previous installment would be what is most sensible.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I'm just wondering about the Zelda series take on Smash 4.

Are they going to go off Skyward Sword? Or will a more mature Zelda (that is currently planned for the Wii U, DUH) come out before Smash, and the design will be based off that?

If Smash came out before the new said Zelda game, would they still base the design off it?

Also, Smash has normally hit every console Zelda design, with Ocarina of Time in SSBM, and Twilight Princess/Wind Waker in Brawl. So I'm assuming they'd want to hit Skyward Sword's design as well. That scares me. I don't like the way that Zelda looks. At All. :S If this is an HD system, which it is, I want something like the Zelda tech demo they showed at E3 2011. You know?
It will probably depend on whether the HD zelda game comes out before Sm4sh or not.

We could see SS designs in Sm4sh if Hd Zelda doesn't come out before then. It's hard to say what design they will use in Sm4sh at this point in time however.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Zoroark would be a pretty unique character due to it being able to create illusions. I suppose in a Super Smash Bros context, Zoroark would respawn on the stage disguised as the opponent. The disguise will keep the varies characteristics of the opponent except for damage, knockback, and weight. But once Zoroark takes enough damage, he will return to normal.

In terms of actual gameplay, Zoroark would be kind of a fast character with disjointed hitboxes and ranged attacks, but with slightly below average power and being a large target.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
But that Zelda tech demo at E3 2011 is based on Twilight Princess. It's only a demo, not a real game... just like that Zelda tech demo at Space World 2000 was based on Ocarina of Time.
I know, but I'm just saying it was more a of a realistic Link, moreso than Skyward Sword. I'm just wondering how'll they decide which design to use.

D

Deleted member

I agree he's the most important character from DK that isn't in (well, possibly there's a case for Dixie Kong, but I favour K. Rool myself). My argument wasn't "which DK character is most important", my argument was "I have 44 slots. Is there a DK character who is important enough full stop to earn one of those slots?". I don't think King K. Rool is relevant enough. What's he been in since Brawl was released? Mario: Super Sluggers - a sports game. So, since Brawl was released, we've seen King K. Rool in 1 game - and it's a sports spin-off. That makes him, relevant to the modern day, roughly as relevant as Waluigi. If I was going to add another DK character, it would be King K. Rool, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying there's no need to add another DK character at all (or at least, and I must stress this, since some people seem to have missed it, within the constraints of a 44-character list!). If I had 55 to work with, he'd probably be there.
Not true, there are also a bunch of DK spin-offs he was in; DK: King of Swing, DK: Jungle Climber, DK: Barrel Blast, and even Donkey Konga 1 in a minigame like Whack-A-Mole (don't know if he was in 2 and 3)
Ignore this. I didn't see the "since Brawl". But like I said later, Diddy wasn't in Jungle Beat, yet made it into Brawl.

The reason we didn't get a Hoenn Pokemon in Brawl is because Hoenn wasn't the most recent generation. I think Pokemon has something very similar to the Fire Emblem series going on with Smash representation. Fire Emblem gets Marth, plus the latest Lord. Pokemon get Pikachu and Jigglypuff, plus representations from the latest games (Lucario for 4th gen and Pokemon Trainer for FR/LG). If I was going to change one of the Pokemon representatives, it'd actually be Unova Trainer to Johto Trainer, so that it was Zoroark for 5th gen and Johto Trainer for HG/SS, to fit the pattern from last time. As it is, given BW2 will be on the way, I think I'd actually probably replace Unova Trainer with Unova Trainer 2 (I made this roster some time back).

Patterns don't exist. There are coincidences, but "patterns" aren't always followed. Otherwise, you better add another StarFox character, as there was a new character added each game. If you don't, that's hypocritical.
Also, Emerald was the latest game before Diamond and Pearl, not FireRed and LeafGreen. Pokemon Trainer was added to bring in a new gimmick, as well as being a requested character since pre-Melee.

So is Sigurd. So is Ira. So is Adan. Adan. Optional DLC alongside a good thirty other characters is not the greatest argument for relevance.

Except that Roy is the 2nd DLC after Marth, is part of the same mini-arc as Marth, and requires Marth to unlock him, obviously playing on the fact that both Marth and Roy were in Melee and were what got Fire Emblem outside of Japan.
Also, Roy was cut from Brawl due to time restraints, and don't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. He was NOT replaced by Ike. And Mewtwo was NOT replaced by Lucario, so don't even think that.
Despite this, I have doubts on Roy's return now, given that we have Krom, who's from a notable game in the series.

Hope I've dealt with them effectively above. If it helps, most of the characters you mention (King K. Rool, for example) I'd add if I had more than 44 characters to work with. Also, I think I mentioned in a separate post somewhere, for that one I didn't literally mean replacing Sheik with Impa, I meant that as Impa from SS is the most relevant Sheikah to the Zelda series, modelling Sheik quite heavily on Impa in terms of look and moveset, rather than actually replacing Sheik. Just, the names came with the pictures. :)
Rrrrrresponses in rrrred! :robotnik:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, in order to play as Roy in FE13, you need to first download Marth? So, he is an optional DLC of an optional DLC in FE13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom