• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It's because they ended on a low note and what they showed just wasn't enough. Sessler ever mentioned that, like Wii Sports, these ideas will never happen in a larger game.

I saw two games I want and one games I'm unsure about. It's not enough to make me want a Wii U. Seeing the reaction from around the net, no one is excited by the system.
You need more than three games for your Wii U to get it at the start? Granted, there are more than three I am interested in. Anyways, we don't know everything about the system right now in terms of its capability outside of software, and whether Nintendoland will be paired with it. Reggie went out and said that, and quite frankly, we really don't know much about it other than two or three things.

Why not just wait for the price to drop on the system and the games?
Because Reggie said he wants the price to work the same way the Wii's did: stay constant. That is why they are struggling to figure it out, primarily.

Miyamoto briefly mentions the idea of a Wii U Zelda.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You need more than three games for your Wii U to get it at the start? Granted, there are more than three I am interested in. Anyways, we don't know everything about the system right now in terms of its capability outside of software, and whether Nintendoland will be paired with it. Reggie went out and said that, and quite frankly, we really don't know much about it other than two or three things.
I need a total of 6 games with 2-3 being out. There is only really 2 I care about. Maybe 3.

Because Reggie said he wants the price to work the same way the Wii's did: stay constant. That is why they are struggling to figure it out, primarily.
Didn't happen with the 3DS. The market sets the price. People were excited about the 3DS but not the Wii U. A low price is likely.

You can also get the games cheaper and wait to see which ones are good or not.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Buying a Wii U late just means I am missing out on all the hardware and software just so I can get spend a RIDICULOUS amount of money later on to catch up with everyone else.
? Let me do some get to processing here, why do we feel compelled to compare our investment strategies?

In general, isn't this mostly a concern as what we can expect the Next Smash to have based on what the console's capabilities are/can accomplish?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I was just thinking since Bowser is now a Disney movie character, he could possibly appear in Kingdom hearts. And if he can appear in kingdom hearts...

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
So essentially, the star of this movie should be in the next Steet fighter game, you know since we're promoting convoluted virtues and what not.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It will be quick to see how games are received critically, in fact, the day a game comes out you can find out how good it is. And games like Pikmin 3 and NSMBU wouldn't even require a review, at least to me, although that is beside the point. But six games? Dang, you got some cash to spend..

Can't say we can put our word over what Reggie is saying, I'd hold off on that idea for now. If they want it to be constant, it may very well be constant. Also, the Wii had a similar line-up worth of games, and it did well, and we actually have a well-rounded system this time around. Not saying it will be an immediate hit, but I am holding off on saying that it won't do well. The 3DS is not too different the DS, and had a MUCH worse launch line-up, so they aren't even close to each other.

What Psycho says might happen, gives the KH developers an excuse to have a lot of fun and crazy characters in KH3. :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think we should bring up Sakurai's "It's hard to mix up video game universes" statement

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'd say I would like to further investigate, ie compare and contrast, the specific scenarios based on a few examples. Mainly to ascertain that we have the same concerns in mind.
Yeah. Overall I do feel it should be based on how the game plays, although I do think landing lag/vulnerable frame reduction such as L-cancelling or Z-cancelling (hopefully automatically) should be in all future smash bros games. The question is how much landing lag/vulnerable frames should be reduced, if not all of it=???
John - Who wants to play as [Animal Crossing character] anyway?"
Me - Maybe millions of Animal Crossing fans that have helped make the series one of Nintendo's biggest?
Compare the millions of people with Animal Crossing games/characters to the OVER A HUNDRED MILLION people with Miis. That and the Miis are a central focus on Nintendo now.
/debate.

D

Deleted member

Compare the number of people that play the Wii series to the number of people that play the Wii series while giving a **** about Smash Bros.

Now compare the number of people that play Animal Crossing to the number of people that play Animal Crossing while giving a **** about Smash Bros.

/debate

I don't think because Old Man Jenkins plays Wii Sports means that Miis should be in Smash.
Or because Aunt Gertrude plays Wii Fit.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That is an appropriate question, John.

I figure that should this next game capitalize on what it means to Z/L cancel and give us a legitimate technique, there will be some balancing involved. (Question: from a physical standpoint, can objects increase the rate in which they can fall?)

Such technique as this is neither game breaking nor essential for the game-play,
so at this point this is all speculation based on the notion that competition is actually one of design virtues.

I know that they are aware of the spirit of competition and that they've had in depth analysis over what that means for smash brothers, but are they introducing features to the game based on how to play it as a fighter or as a party/fun title.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ GoldenYuiitusin
Consider the number of Mii/Wii series fans and who would be interested in smash because Miis are playable.

Now compare that to the number of people of Animal Crossing fans who would be interested in smash because of a playable Animal Crossing character.

Miis can make a lot more people interested in smash than Animal Crossing could, because the Wii/Mii franchise is 10 times as big.
Well, I was just thinking since Bowser is now a Disney movie character, he could possibly appear in Kingdom hearts. And if he can appear in kingdom hearts...
The only way Bowser will appear in a Kingdom Hearts game is if that game is a Nintendo-console exclusive game.

D

Deleted member

Consider the number of Mii/Wii series fans and who would be interested in smash because Miis are playable.

Now compare that to the number of people of Animal Crossing fans who would be interested in smash because of a playable Animal Crossing character.

Miis can make a lot more people interested in smash than Animal Crossing could, because the Wii/Mii franchise is 10 times as big.

/debate.
Now you just talking crazy.
You've got backwards thinking. No one's going to play Smash just because "OMG MIIS ARE IN THIS!" Simply put, if they weren't interested before, they wouldn't be interested over a Mii.

Conversely, do you have any idea how much Animal Crossing fans want a character, be it Tom Nook, a Crosser, K.K. Slider, or even Resetti? Hell, even someone as random as Rosie or Tortimer could be in, and it would spike the interest of an AC fan.

And again, just because Old Man Jenkins plays Wii Sports and Aunt Gertrude plays Wii Fit doesn't mean that they would be interested in Smash just because of Miis.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@ nLiM8d

On this point, if you were to ask whether say wavedashing should be a one-button command or be as it is in Melee (if it was to be in Smash Wii U and 3DS), I would say the Melee way is better. That is because there are multiple angles/distances you can go with wavedashing, and thus it is a very complex thing. L-cancelling only one result if you do it: your vulnerable frames go down by half.

So basically my L-cancelling tiers are:
1. Z/L-cancelling is automatic, much like if it were automatic in Smash 64 or Melee.
2. Z/L-cancelling is not automatic, and it functions like it was in Smash 64 or Melee. Z-cancelling preferred for a smash bros. deficient in combos, L-cancelling preferred for a smash bros. game with a fair share of combos.
3. No Z/L-cancelling in the slightest, and the landing vulnerable frames are about the same as they are in Brawl.

Still, that is a fascinating take on this debate. It really does add dimensions and depth to the conversation.
I like the tiers. Whatever makes the pacing of the game faster is always fun and adds a sense of higher learnig curve to me.

I would definitely like to continue it when I get the chance.

Perhaps Iblis can continue where I can't.
I got you.

Gamecube controllers are obsolete and won't be used in Smash4, so who cares who's wrong or right on the irrelevent situation? Reminds me of when Hoots and Golden argued about Marvel games for like five pages.

And thanks John.

Anyone think Olimar having MORE Pikmin could is a little much? Maybe it's just me.
Really, obsolete shortie? If we were to know what all the controllers that are going to be useable in the next smash we could get a better idea of how the game would handle, it's limits, and new additions it would have if we knew our controller selection.

Olimar having more pikmin won't be much of a problem if they just reduce the amount of pikmin he is allowed to have out all at once.

sorry am just bored
Do you enjoy being the village fool?

People watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4r5q8-aWo

Bowser is in a Disney Movie

Edit: Bowser, M. Bison, Kano, Qbert, Ghosts from Pac man, Dr. Robotnick, all in a Disney movie?
Don't be late :smirk:

D

Deleted member

And another point, Resident Evil and Street Fighter are clearly bigger series to Capcom than Mega Man, so does that mean it'd be better to have Chris Redfield or Ryu in Smash as a result, since it would "attract a larger market" since they're "bigger"?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Conversely, do you have any idea how much Animal Crossing fans want a character, be it Tom Nook, a Crosser, K.K. Slider, or even Resetti? Hell, even someone as random as Rosie or Tortimer could be in, and it would spike the interest of an AC fan.
Most Animal Crossing fans are probably already interested in Super Smash Bros and are very aware of the franchise. I can't say that for most Mii/Wii fans.
And again, just because Old Man Jenkins plays Wii Sports and Aunt Gertrude plays Wii Fit doesn't mean that they would be interested in Smash just because of Miis.
I know that they won't automatically buy the game. But what if they aren't aware of Smash Bros. to begin with=??? What if this makes them consider buying smash bros=???

Although you are right on your Street Fighter/Resident Evil vs. Mega Man point; bigger isn't always better. The difference is that fans of Street Fighter generally don't like Smash Bros. Fans of Resident Evil... eh. Well, Resident Evil doesn't have a clear #1 character. The clear #1 Mega Man character is just that: Mega Man. Plus, Mega Man is probably more well-known than any of the characters in either series. Except for Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter maybe, although to be quite frank, they are really bland! :laugh:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'm having a hard time interpreting that question because of how, in order to answer your question I would need to sort of probe your understanding for why certain characters are involved.

At this point I will differ you to the discussion of what makes that world, the character selection work. Does marketable popularity of the current times outweigh the challenge of combining the likeness of a Mario character and a Resident Evil character?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure Megaman is the more iconic franchise despite not being as "big" as Resident Evil or Street Fighter. There are easily more people that know about Megaman then Ryu or Leon.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It will be quick to see how games are received critically, in fact, the day a game comes out you can find out how good it is. And games like Pikmin 3 and NSMBU wouldn't even require a review, at least to me, although that is beside the point. But six games? Dang, you got some cash to spend..

Can't say we can put our word over what Reggie is saying, I'd hold off on that idea for now. If they want it to be constant, it may very well be constant. Also, the Wii had a similar line-up worth of games, and it did well, and we actually have a well-rounded system this time around. Not saying it will be an immediate hit, but I am holding off on saying that it won't do well. The 3DS is not too different the DS, and had a MUCH worse launch line-up, so they aren't even close to each other.
I can safely say it wont do well. People LINED UP for Wii. People RAN to Wii. People ignore the Wii U. It bores them. Discussion slowed to almost a halt after E3.

3DS had an amazing line up. People forget Nintendogs.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ n
I think that since Resident Evil has no clear #1 "main character" (Jill, Leon, Chris, Claire), that it is hard to pinpoint who would add. Animal Crossing runs into the same issue.
This is the reason why I stopped watching Yugioh, right around where he played against Pegasus things got REALLY ridiculous. Cloning Kuribohs and having them explode all over Thousand Eye monster thing ftw is bull****.
WELCOME TO ANIME!!! :grin:
Brawl online sucks so it doesn't matter really.
Exactly. I don't ever want to play that garbage ever again. So many hours of my life... lost to lag, loading screens, and freezing in-games.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Compare the number of people that play the Wii series to the number of people that play the Wii series while giving a **** about Smash Bros.

Now compare the number of people that play Animal Crossing to the number of people that play Animal Crossing while giving a **** about Smash Bros.

/debate

I don't think because Old Man Jenkins plays Wii Sports means that Miis should be in Smash.
Or because Aunt Gertrude plays Wii Fit.
If these numbers are accurate then the wii series is much more popular than animal crossing. And if every single animal crossing fan gave a **** about smash only 1/26 wii series fans would need to give a **** about smash for the latter's for it to be a bigger crowd and as a result make it smarter to cater to them.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I figure that should this next game capitalize on what it means to Z/L cancel and give us a legitimate technique, there will be some balancing involved.
Exactly. I wonder if Z/L-cancelling could involve more attacks, specifically more special attacks than before. Like using Marth's counter, and following it up with a combo.
(Question: from a physical standpoint, can objects increase the rate in which they can fall?)
If you mean inanimate objects in smash bros. having their own DI... nah. Maybe the rate at which they fall or rise is based on if they are hit or a force acts upon them.
I know that they are aware of the spirit of competition and that they've had in depth analysis over what that means for smash brothers, but are they introducing features to the game based on how to play it as a fighter or as a party/fun title.
I think that Sakurai needs to have his staff help him make the game follow the concept of "easy to learn, difficult be master" by lowering the learning curve (like what happened in Brawl) but have the technical depth of Melee and Smash 64. Keep a lot of the cool techniques from Brawl (including roof teching), specifically the character-specific technique.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ n
I think that since Resident Evil has no clear #1 "main character" (Jill, Leon, Chris, Claire), that it is hard to pinpoint who would add. Animal Crossing runs into the same issue.
As a general rule of thumb, the main character is usually the character you are playing as. The main character of Animal Crossing is the human villager you play as. I don't know how that's not clear unless you are referring to how the human has no established look/appearance. Well, they could use easily use the Boy villager from Brawl. He has a trophy there despite having no established look/appearance. City Folk even used that same look/appearance of the Boy villager on the box art.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
And another point, Resident Evil and Street Fighter are clearly bigger series to Capcom than Mega Man, so does that mean it'd be better to have Chris Redfield or Ryu in Smash as a result, since it would "attract a larger market" since they're "bigger"?
It is economically sound to go with the character that will bring the bigger audience and raise more awareness so if Ryu brings in more attention and money than Megaman, so be it. I won't be mad at Nintendo for being smart. It is the right thing for Nintendo to do. It can probably explain why certain characters that are in smash are in it to start of with that are later additions and also why characters weren't added until a certain addition of Smash.

So yes, putting in Mario before Wario is sound because Mario does in fact bring in a bigger crowd and is bigger.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Animal Crossing is not going to have any playable characters in super Smash Bros, especially with Sakurai's statement in that interview.

D

Deleted member

If these numbers are accurate then the wii series is much more popular than animal crossing. And if every single animal crossing fan gave a **** about smash only 1/26 wii series fans would need to give a **** about smash for the latter's for it to be a bigger crowd and as a result make it smarter to cater to them.

:phone:
Remember that most of the sales come from Wii Sports, which is bundled with the Wii, Wii Fit, which is popular among the non-gamer older women or excercise nuts that are too lazy to actually go outside :laugh:, and their sequels since well, they're related.

Face it, Miis are strictly casual. And I'm not talking Brawl casual, I'm talking senior citizen, housewife, and family casual.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People watch this. Bowser is in a Disney Movie.
Bowser, M. Bison, Kano, Qbert, Ghosts from Pac man, Dr. Robotnick, all in a Disney movie?
Needs more Donkey Kong. Maybe have Cranky Kong instead! :rotfl: That would be so awesome to see Cranky in that movie! :bee:
I like the tiers. Whatever makes the pacing of the game faster is always fun and adds a sense of higher learnig curve to me.
Well anything that doesn't make the game needlessly harder to learn. Like having to push 12 different buttons just to jump. Still, the higher the curve can go up, the better. Still, it should be easier and more accessible to learn how to go up that and to put players in a position to go up to them.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
No harm done, frankly I was hoping to differentiate the matter that E3 and related news don't particularly have to do with matters concerning smash brothers.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
LMAO Horsetail. Although let it be known many Mario fans don't like 3D Mario games. That and 2D Mario seemed to all but disappear (aside from re-releases) for over a decade.

@ Golden
Nintendo's goal is to make non-gamers casual gamers, casual gamers devout gamers, devout gamers passionate gamers, and passionate gamers into lifetime gamers (all on Nintendo consoles). Smash Bros. is a perfect bridge from one of those categories to another, especially since it advertises a bunch of Nintendo (and a few 3rd party) franchises.

D

Deleted member

It is economically sound to go with the character that will bring the bigger audience and raise more awareness so if Ryu brings in more attention and money than Megaman, so be it. I won't be mad at Nintendo for being smart. It is the right thing for Nintendo to do. It can probably explain why certain characters that are in smash are in it to start of with that are later additions and also why characters weren't added until a certain addition of Smash.

So yes, putting in Mario before Wario is sound because Mario does in fact bring in a bigger crowd and is bigger.
You're comparing two characters from the same universe.
Essentially comparing a series with a spin-off of said series.

You'd be better using something like StarFox instead of Wario.

@John: Miis won't do that. Don't delude yourself.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As a general rule of thumb, the main character is usually the character you are playing as. The main character of Animal Crossing is the human villager you play as. I don't know how that's not clear unless you are referring to how the human has no established look/appearance. Well, they could use easily use the Boy villager from Brawl. He has a trophy there despite having no established look/appearance. City Folk even used that same look/appearance of the Boy villager on the box art.
Yeah, I would agree with you that the Animal Crosser is the main character. Still, not everyone does. Look at the list of characters Golden posted. Also, consider quite a large percentage of Animal Crossing fans who want characters like Mr. Resetti and especially Tom Nook, who rival the Animal Crosser in terms of popular and desire for as a playable character in smash.

Also, who's to say that Miis can't have an Animal Crosser as an alternate look=??? In City Folk, my Animal Crosser is my Mii! :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom