• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
For MKWii? I'm down, but please try and keep on the topic of SSB4 for this thread, instead use this for MKWii.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Is Smash portable considered Smash 4? Smart *** comment I know, but I just wonder if they will seem like distinct titles.
I think it'll be like Pokemon Red and Blue in a sense. I probably won't pay much attention to the 3DS version so I'll probably consider the WiiU version to be Smash 4 with the 3DS version as the optional supplement.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
So much productivity I'm drowning in great ideas.

I recently counted up the top 50 characters voted for on my poll, and made a roster containing them. Let me tell you, if "The most popular characters" got into Smash bros I would cry. I'm about a fourth of the way done with it, I'll post it when it's done. I'm glad Sakurai is in charge of picking the cast, because as majority rules, this board as a whole has terrible ideas.

It should be renamed Mario vs Pokemon.
I hope you included at least some prominent FE characters in that roster :glare:

:phone:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I couldn't care less about the 3DS version tbh. I'm never getting a 3ds unless something really nice comes out on it. (Not smash)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I couldn't care less about the 3DS version tbh. I'm never getting a 3ds unless something really nice comes out on it. (Not smash)
Wouldn't even get Star Fox 64 3D for your boy, Fox???

I guess I'll be waiting for the price drop and extra colors. u3u FFFF I need Animal Crossing.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wouldn't even get Star Fox 64 3D for your boy, Fox???

I guess I'll be waiting for the price drop and extra colors. u3u FFFF I need Animal Crossing.
LOL no not until I see a price drop. :urg:

Naw man, after the GBA, portable games pretty much turned to streamlined squish.

@Iblis: Have you ever played shin Budokai?
Yeah I have.

How about that streaming idea for SSB4 though?

OmegaXXII

Same here, I think everybody feels the same about the 3DS version, aside from Pokemon IMO there isn't much going for it.

*Looks at the 3DS thread*

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
As long as I can play free for all randoms with computers, I think I'd love to have a portable Smash.

REALLY WISH I HAD IT FOR THE FOURTH OF JULY FAMILY GATHERING. So boring.

The whole selling point is going to be on this mysterious single-player focus and WiiU interaction... I guess we just can't know how we'll feel about that until some light is shed on it. :/

Then there's also the possibility that it will never come to fruition and we'll just get a WiiU version in 5 years, lol.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
LOL

I was browsing my Deviant Art gallery, and I stumbled upon this old meme.

Brings back memories. XD

That's the gayest meme I ever seen....Sonic****....I want those people out of SSB community some of them are crazy....(I'm a Fan of Sonic since 1991-2000) Sonic Adventure was my last dive....and once they removed the addicting Chao garden they lost me.

D

Deleted member

I would be very interested in seeing the character roster based off the top 50 voted in Shortiecanbrawl's post.
OmegaXVII said:
Well how about Cloud, I bet he's even worse than Sora am I rite?
For not being impossible, Cloud is better, but that isn't saying much as I am against Cloud's or Sora's inclusion. Not that I hate them, just that I don't think they should be in SSB4.
nLiM8d said:
Where is SSBFan anyways? We always have the best of conversations, even when we are considered to be 'spamming'.
Here. I had work earlier today, gotta focus on that.
OmegaXVII said:
I'd rather see Medusa or Palutena being rep. In SSB4.
Not that I think Magnus would be a bad character, but yeah, Medusa and Palutena are much more preferable.
ChronoBound said:
I am curious.

Who is the next third-party character that everyone is going to support after Mega Man gets in? It seems the Mega Man requests took off once Sonic got in. I am curious if there is someone who is "next in line" after Mega Man gets confirmed.

Personally, I don't see any other popularly requested third-party characters after Mega Man. All the other "popular" third-party characters have aspects to them that will not make them have the same mass appeal that Sonic and Mega Man had.
While there are quite a few third-party character I would like to see in SSB4, I will agree that the only third-party characters that deserves to be playable are Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man. A fourth third-party character I would be fine with, but the main focus needs to be on getting Nintendo characters in as there are still deserving characters like Little Mac, Ridley, and King K. Rool, who have yet to be playable yet. However, for most people, the thirst for more third-party characters will never be quench, which is why I would not be surprise if one third-party character gets added to each Super Smash Bros. installment, which will make keeping all third-party characters that much more difficult.

I also think us getting a fourth third-party character in SSB4 is possible, with a 50/50 chance of that happening. If Mega Man is revealed as a playable character at E3 2012, I can see the support going to the following characters for the 4th third-party spot:

- Professor Layton (Level-5)
- Ryu Haybusa (Tecmo)
- Slime (Square Enix)
- Travis Touchdown (Ubisoft)(Square Enix)
- Maybe Geno and/or Phoenix Wright (Square Enix and Capcom respectively, thought both chances are extremely small)

Now this is where the 50/50 part plays a critical role. Personally, I don't mind any of these characters (Except Phoenix Wright, heavily against his inclusion) being playable, but other will. If the support mainly goes to one character and if the character gets massive demands, we will very likely see a fourth third-party character, thought I do worry it'll end up rushed and lazily put together like Sonic's in Brawl. If the support are divided into those five, chances goes down to almost zilch. Reason being is because if the supports are divided and if one of those five get in (We will almost certainly not be seeing more the four), the supporters of the other four will feel alientated that the one character they supported did not get in. This would put Nintendo in a huge dilemma for SSB5 for obvious reasons. In this case, to avoid alienating the fans of four of these characters, Nintendo will stick with just Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man, knowing that at least fans won't feel alienated because the five above didn't get in.

If support does mainly goes to one of the above and not anyone else, I can easily see that character getting the greenlight if developers are interested. The difficult question is, who will garner all that support needed for his inclusion? All of these have a chance of gaining that support, but I think Professor Layton would be the most likely for these reasons:

- All of his games have only appeared on Nintendo consoles. Like Mega Man back in the day, he is often confused for as a Nintendo character. Like with Dragon Quest, Nintendo also publish his games outside of Japan.

- He is very popular. While all of his games have only appeared on handheld consoles, they have sold over ten million copies. Not as much as Metal Gear, Sonic, or Mega Man, but considering that Layton is the most popular DS-origin character and continues to be highly relevant to this day, Nintendo is definitely taking notice, especially since all these sales are within less then half a decade. I would say that's pretty impressive if you ask me.

- Would fit very well with other Nintendo characters. Granted, a character that may sound unfitting won't be hurt by this since after all, no one expected Snake to fit so well into SSB4 despite being from a mature franchise, but being able to fit in with other characters naturally does help. Professor Layton would rank among the third-party characters that would fit best with Nintendo characters, with competition from only Mega Man and Slime. Even Sonic fits less since Sega and Nintendo were once rivals.

- His titles are said to be of high quality. Not a single game on Metacritic has gone below 80, which is very impressive and shows that as a series, Layton has good games. Almost all Nintendo characters in Melee and Brawl were from high-quality series and/or games (Only exceptions are Ice Climbers and R.O.B.). Nintendo would definitely welcome a character with high quality titles.

- Would make for a very unique character. People want Mega Man not only because he is iconic, but because he will be very unique. The same can be said for Professor Layton. If done right, he could be incredibly unique.

So while I don't he stands a good chance, I would say that out of all potential 4th third-party character, he stands out the most. I wouldn't necessarily rule him out as a possibility just because Level-5 may not see him as fighting material in the case we get four third-party characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That's the gayest meme I ever seen....Sonic****....I want those people out of SSB community some of them are crazy....(I'm a Fan of Sonic since 1991-2000) Sonic Adventure was my last dive....and once they removed the addicting Chao garden they lost me.
Pfff.. Adventure sucks compared to the classic Genesis games :p

Sonic 3 & Knuckles pwns all following Sonic games put together.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

Sonic 3 was the first game I played in my life.....and I don't really give a damn anymore...(Anyways I pretty much hate the adventure design and the new characters) and it's all about gameplay for me.

OmegaXXII

Hey IkeSama, what the hate for Sonic?

I'd reccommend you play that Sonic Generarions demo if you haven't already.

Or at least Sonic 4 if your looking looking for a more retro style of play.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sonic 3 was the first game I played in my life.....and I don't really give a damn anymore...(Anyways I pretty much hate the adventure design and the new characters) and it's all about gameplay for me.
Oh hey! I hate the new designs too! And I love the classic gameplay as well.

Sometimes I wish I had never played Sonic on the Genesis before, because I have yet found a platformer experience that delivered as much as it did back then.

Just like I wish I had played Chrono Trigger a lot later, because I have yet to find an RPG which can top it. Only Earthbound and Final Fantasy 6 & 7 come close.

----

Ehh 3rd party characters should be limited to just 3. I hope Megaman takes that spot.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

Oh hey! I hate the new designs too! And I love the classic gameplay as well.

Sometimes I wish I had never played Sonic on the Genesis before, because I have yet found a platformer experience that delivered as much as it did back then.

Just like I wish I had played Chrono Trigger a lot later, because I have yet to find an RPG which can top it. Only Earthbound and Final Fantasy 6 & 7 come close.

----

Ehh 3rd party characters should be limited to just 3. I hope Megaman takes that spot.
HATEEERRSS LOL.

SA2 was the last good sonic game but damn at how can you hate on the storyline for SA2 and 1? S3&K was 3rd favorite sonic game though.

Inb4morehate :cool: <- Hatershades on.

COME AT ME

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
HATEEERRSS LOL.

SA2 was the last good sonic game but damn at how can you hate on the storyline for SA2 and 1? S3&K was 3rd favorite sonic game though.

COME AT ME

Well, let me put it this way.

Sonic Adventure 2 was TOO DARK for my taste. It creeped me out when I was a kid, and made me leave the fandom. No lie.

But the reason I dislike it profoundly is simple. It's just 1/3 of a Sonic game.
Let me put it clearly.

Stage 1: You play speedy sections of Sonic.
Stage 2: You play.... a slow platforming level with shooting....
Stage 3: You play in a humongous open world, trying to find emerald shards... Boooorinng.

Stage 4: You play speedy Sonic again!
...etc.

If I only get to play a "Sonic game" 1/3 of the time, I can't consider it a good game at all. :p

Sonic Adventure 1 was FAR better In my opinion. I can see where people that like SA2 come from, and it's pretty much because of the story.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
HATEEERRSS LOL.

COME AT ME
It's not hate in-fact the storyline in Adventure 1&2 was very intriguing....but wait a second I play Sonic for game-play......but it's been always a fact for me from the beginning no platform-er can top Mario you can't even go wrong with the character he is one badass plumber.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Hmm I just got an idea. It would be nice to be able to call someone via mic on smash like how Xbox has parties. To take this a step further, seeing how the Wii U Tablet has a screen, it can be used to stream things to others, rather it be tournies, other matches, someone showing how to do a certain thing, etc.

I wonder if that is possible.
I meant this streaming idea.

@TheOldschoolSonickickpeople: That's why the SA series where my favorite it had a story (a good one unlike most new sonic games) and good gameplay. LOL@ SA2 scaring people, no offense. Also S3&K is my 3rd favorite for the reason I think SA series were good, it illustrated a good story and had amazing gameplay.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I hope you included at least some prominent FE characters in that roster :glare:

HAHAHAHAHA, speaking of that series. . . :awesome: This isn't MY roster. it's most certainly a collective roster based on the top fifty voted characters on my poll. (There will be 51 because of a tie)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

or the design from sonic boom clip....and that clip had some serious awesome stuff.
Your taste in Sonic games is surprisingly good, though.

I only differ in SA2, the rest, I'm 100% with ya.

... Why would you want Sonic to leave then? We don't need to be reminded of the awful games. When I play him in Brawl, I'm not thinking of Sonic 06 (which he more or less is based off) I think of all the good games I played.

OmegaXXII

I While there are quite a few third-party character I would like to see in SSB4, I will agree that the only third-party characters that deserves to be playable are Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man. A fourth third-party character I would be fine with, but the main focus needs to be on getting Nintendo characters in as there are still deserving characters like Little Mac, Ridley, and King K. Rool, who have yet to be playable yet. However, for most people, the thirst for more third-party characters will never be quench, which is why I would not be surprise if one third-party character gets added to each Super Smash Bros. installment, which will make keeping all third-party characters that much more difficult.

I also think us getting a fourth third-party character in SSB4 is possible, with a 50/50 chance of that happening. If Mega Man is revealed as a playable character at E3 2012...)
I agree with most of the context that you wrote but this, first off we might only get another 3rd party character only if the demand is overwhelming and if indeed Megaman were to be released at E3 2012, only then would Sakurai highly consider another rep for a total of four(4) 3rd party guests.

It may be possible that if Megaman isn't revealed at E3 2012, there will definetly be so much hype that Sakurai may only consider the highest, most demanded character which of course is Megaman, also we don't know Sakurai for sure, he may have second thoughts on 3rd party guest, he may only want one(1) new 3rd party as he may want to focus on Nintendo characters such as Ridley or Toad.

Overall the possibility of a fourth 3rd party rep might only come only IF it's requested heavily by popular demand, like Sonic before Brawl, otherwise it's possible that only 3 would make the roster and I would be happy with that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

or the design from sonic boom clip....and that clip had some serious awesome stuff.
Is it wrong that I greatly prefer that design to Sonic than the modern one?

Also, I wonder if most Smash fans would be okay if Mega Man were the only third-party newcomer? There really is no one else left that would have the potential to gain the mass appeal among the Smash fanbase that Sonic and Mega Man got.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Is it wrong that I greatly prefer that design to Sonic than the modern one?

Also, I wonder if most Smash fans would be okay if Mega Man were the only third-party newcomer? There really is no one else left that would have the potential to gain the mass appeal among the Smash fanbase that Sonic and Mega Man got.
No, it's not.

Heck, according to someone else in the 3DS thread we will be getting Ryu and not Megaman. Because Ryu is more profitable as he will bring new people to purchase Smash unlike Megaman. Never mind the fact that Masahiro Sakurai is the only one who even cares about the fan base. Say what you will about his decisions, but I'll tell you what he is probably the most pro-fan developer there is.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
No, it's not.

Heck, according to someone else in the 3DS thread we will be getting Ryu and not Megaman. Because Ryu is more profitable as he will bring new people to purchase Smash unlike Megaman.

Sadly, this makes a lot of sense. :(

I know I'd be glad to see Ryu... But that's nothing compared to the utmost JOY I would feel if Megaman would make it in. :D

Besides.... Megaman music >>>> Street Fighter music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom