• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I honestly care more about Lucario returning than Ike. Personally, I really like Lucario in his movie and was excited to see him in Brawl. Ike was cool, but never cared for him as a character (since I haven't even heard of him before he got in Brawl), so I wouldn't mind if he got replaced by Krom whereas I would be disappointed to see Lucario cut.

@Starphoenix: Could you explain why you feel Waluigi would be in the running? I honestly think that Waluigi is a very unlikely addition.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So, for getting the rights to use a second-party for major representation is more effort-taking due contacting the company to use the franchise for Sm4sh and ask how it should be represented. At the end, it's pretty likely though that it won't garner as much hype as hoped anyway since there'll be more people who go like "Huh?" on second parties, since they're not as recognisable as, say, Mario-series or Kirby-series.Thus, the effort upon including these second-party series would be lost for nothing.

Is this the a good reason to not expect second-party franchises in Sm4sh?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No offense, but I do find that a little weird seeing as we know very little about Krom himself.

Is it because he can use lances or because he's fabulous like Ghirahim? ;)
Umm there isn't much to know. I've seen gameplay, I've seen the cutscenes, I'm not sure what else I need to do before making a determination?

@Starphoenix: Could you explain why you feel Waluigi would be in the running? I honestly think that Waluigi is a very unlikely addition.
Well, he made it further than any other Mario character bar Dr. Mario, so that is something. He is popular despite the shellacking most users give to people who suggest his name. I really don't have the time to go in depth, but he is not as crazy a suggestion as most people believe, just not one I personally want.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
I honestly don't understand why people actually like Waluigi? He's probably the worst Mario character and maybe even one of the worst video game characters that has ever created...

The only reason why Waluigi was created was only for the purpose of giving Wario a partner in Mario Tennis (that's probably why he uses his tennis racket in Brawl) and to create another stupid rival for Luigi, that's it...
Wario is generally a way better video game character (and even more memorable) than what Waluigi is.

I'm very happy with Mario, Luigi and Wario (though Wario should be more like in Project M)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
so I got bored, and thought of some ideas for FS changes:

-Wolf and Falco's FS need to be changed,period

-Fox's LandMaster has a certain amount of damage it can take before Breaking

-Sonic' FS doesn't do damage while idle,and cannot pursue you in the end of the blast zones(or else they die)

-Mario Finale can have the direction of the blast tilted based on the way you hold the control stick(think Ryu's Shinkuu hodoken in UMvC3)

-ZSS has a smash worth a S***

-Jiggly puff's FS should pretty much be Peach's from Brawl: everyone is put to sleep, leaving them vulnerable to attack.

-Peach's FS is her Empress Peach attack from Strikers

-DK's FS has him throw the F***ing moon at you

-Toon Link's FS has him summon Cyclos with the Wind Waker to attack with a Tornado

that's all I got for now, though pretty much everything else is fine as is.

D

Deleted member

I honestly don't understand why people actually like Waluigi? Probably because his personality is completely different from the other Mario characters and is just rotten to the core like a old cartoon villain. He's probably the worst Mario character and maybe even one of the worst video game characters that has ever created... Horrible exaggeration, especially since there are plenty of **** Mario characters that are plenty worse than Waluigi. And if you think Waluigi is one of the worst video game characters created, you don't play many video games.

The only reason why Waluigi was created was only for the purpose of giving Wario a partner in Mario Tennis (that's probably why he uses his tennis racket in Brawl) and to create another stupid rival for Luigi, that's it... Implying Luigi had a rival before. :laugh: Hate to break it to ya, but Waluigi came first.
Wario is generally a way better video game character (and even more memorable) than what Waluigi is. Well no ****, Sherlock. That's like trying to compare Meowth with Skitty, Glameow, or Purrloin. Of COURSE the more memorable character is going to be more memorable.

Responses in red.
And before you say otherwise, yes, there is a difference in personailty between Wario and Waluigi.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The problem with Waluigi is that he's a minor character that is only seen in spin-offs, usually as Wario's mischievous partner in crime. Waluigi is also ironically not even a Wario series related character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't hate WarioWare despite not liking Wario in Brawl. The thing is, it should've been more sensible to base him on his platformer games since Smash's 2D and Wario would've had very great moves to use against his opponents, which are iconic- the shoulder bash, butt stomp, the grab and throw and much more.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Umm there isn't much to know. I've seen gameplay, I've seen the cutscenes, I'm not sure what else I need to do before making a determination?
Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box or I'm too caught up with in-game conversations and getting a feel for his personality. "shrugs"

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Because he is everyone's idol! He's cute and has something fresh to offer.

Hatas gonna hate.
Since Shortie did a dream roster I'm throwing mine in. Luckily Brawl added most of my favorite characters, so there are not very many left I'd want.

Dream roster and tweaks:

I would be fine with this. My "dream" roster is probably a lot more conservative than most people though.

I honestly care more about Lucario returning than Ike. Personally, I really like Lucario in his movie and was excited to see him in Brawl. Ike was cool, but never cared for him as a character (since I haven't even heard of him before he got in Brawl), so I wouldn't mind if he got replaced by Krom whereas I would be disappointed to see Lucario cut.
I think if Sakurai has no problem with giving Pokemon six slots (which will definitely be more than Mario), then Lucario will return. Its really just that and Zoroark that pose an obstacle for Lucario's return. Even with Zoroark, there is the possibility that for a Black/White representative, that Sakurai could go with Victini, Meloetta, or Genesect. Meloetta in particular is a wildcard, in that unlike the other three 5th-gen contenders, its time in the spotlight could extend beyond just a movie (if Meloetta indeed becomes a regular character in the Black/White 2 season of the Pokemon anime). The anime has a profound influence on Pokemon's playable content, with all of the playable Pokemon utilizing their voices from the anime/movies.

I think Lucario's gimmick of gaining power as he accumulates more and more damage is something that no other character can have, so from a gameplay point-of-view it would be disappointing to have Lucario cut. However, personally, the only Pokemon I care about are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and PT's trio (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard). However, I would put Lucario above any non-1st-generation Pokemon easily.

Also, there is the misconception that most lords in the series are blue-haired swordsmen. Only 5 lords out of 15 are blue-haired swordsmen. If Marth, Krom, and Ike are all playable the only two blue-haired swordsmen lords in the series that would be unplayable would be the father-son duo from FE4 (Sigurd and Celice). As for sword-wielding lords (or rather lords that have a sword as their main weapon), only four lords in the series lack a sword as their main weapon (Cellica, Hector, Ephraim, and Micaiah). That means 11 out of 15 lords in the series use a sword as their main weapon, yet only five of those of sword-wielding lords have blue-hair.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What if Pokemon Trainer was changed to be Hoenn based? Like with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken with the same rotational gimmick, with the trainer being based on Brendan.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Waluigi is underrated.

Not that I want him to be playable before other more important chaacters, but people should embrace the possibility of it happening sooner or later.
This got me thinking. People should already know there are characters Sakurai have clearly looked at, and said "No" to in the past. Remember a few, will probably get the okay this time around, but most probabl won't.

For example, if anyone Sakurai has said "No" to should get picked, it will be Ridley. Now, other characters like Toad, and Waluigi, he's probably either:

1. Never thought about making playable
2. Said "I don't want them to be playable"

Now, he could change his mind, but, I don't know if he will. Even for Ridley.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
Probably because his personality is completely different from the other Mario characters and is just rotten to the core like a old cartoon villain.
Where did you get this stuff from? Just curious...
If you can please tell me one (or more) game(s) where he appears as a major character and presents his personality and character in a good way, then I'll maybe change my mind... maybe...

Horrible exaggeration, especially since there are plenty of **** Mario characters that are plenty worse than Waluigi.
Yeah there probably are, but doesn't mean that my thoughts about Waluigi in SSB will change

And if you think Waluigi is one of the worst video game characters created, you don't play many video games.
Oh no you didn't...
What a horrible response! Didn't you think of something better than this? How can I possibly take you seriously now when I see those rotten words?

Take a good look at my avatar and say that sentence of yours again. I can already tell you that I'm not ONLY playing with Nintendo consoles, which means that I'm obviously not a fanboy and which also means that I have obviously played more games than just a few. I have many opinions about video games and characters and if you don't like what I have to say, don't be ridiculous when responding or just ignore my post (but that's probably impossible).

This thread is seriously "dangerous", negative posts everywhere and people get easily mad, probably because of hype...

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
a bit, yeah. Completely, no. screw the WarioWare haters.
I don't really hate WarioWare games, I just don't like his moveset in Brawl.
I would have no problems if Wario's Bike gets a buff, otherwise I'll stick with my opinion...
Down Smash (earthquake from Wario Land Shake Dimension/Shake it) in Project M was really smart I think and it fits Wario pretty well I think

D

Deleted member

I would be legitimately happy with Starphoenix's roster. No major complaints I can see from the roster.

@ChronoBound: Wildcard is definitely a good way to put down Meloetta's odd as a potential 5th gen rep. If Meloetta can remain a major character in the second season of Black & White (and not just disappear after a few episode) and if it can become a popular request, then I think it can be a serious contender for the 5th gen spot, but if not, then I don't think it's going to be seriously considered unless the Pokemon Company decides not to add a Pokemon newcomer and if Sakurai wants more transformation character.

Considering that Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn would be out before Brawl in all areas of the world, I think advertising Micaiah would be pointless. I don't see Micaiah getting in as an advertisement for an already released game doing much for sales. Ultimately, Ike was the better choice since he was far more popular of a choice than Micaiah.

I don't see the problem with us having three blue haired swordsman in Smash. Reception towards Krom seems to be good and if Marth, Ike, and Krom can have different playstyle, then the hair color shouldn't matter. Also, it wouldn't enforce a "stereotype"as Krom can get in by his own merits, whenever that is by being the lord of a hypothetical FE14 (it's possible) or if he can meet Sakurai's four criteria.

Speaking of which, how much support does Krom seem to have overall? I'm surprised we haven't seen his fan base picked up.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why are we agruing about Waluigi? I mean, the only opinion on Waluigi that matters is Sakurai's

I'm confident Sakurai doesn't think much of the idiot, other than a big old troll character, which is how he wast presented on the DOJO.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box or I'm too caught up with in-game conversations and getting a feel for his personality. "shrugs"
There is not a lot characters in the Fire Emblem series do.

I would be fine with this. My "dream" roster is probably a lot more conservative than most people though.

It's not that bad, it is actually fifty on the mark. Remove the third party characters and it is actually 46.

This got me thinking. People should already know there are characters Sakurai have clearly looked at, and said "No" to in the past. Remember a few, will probably get the okay this time around, but most probably won't.

For example, if anyone Sakurai has said "No" to should get picked, it will be Ridley. Now, other characters like Toad, and Waluigi, he's probably either:

1. Never thought about making playable
2. Said "I don't want them to be playable"

Now, he could change his mind, but, I don't know if he will. Even for Ridley.
I agree with this. Sakurai has even admitted there were characters he wanted to include but couldn't due to time.

That's why I only see four (one definite) out of the twenty-seven Assist Trophies as even being characters that Sakurai might reconsider. Then of course there is the Melee characters, but I really only see Mewtwo and Roy being serious contenders.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: I don't think being an Assist Trophy helps a characters odd, unless there's evidence to show that the character was seriously considered for playable status (Saki Amamiya). We have seen no such thing with Waluigi.

As for his popularity, he is indeed a popular request, but tons of people want a Mario rep and from what I've seen, Paper Mario, Toad, and Bowser Jr. still beats him, so I think that makes the popularity argument for him kind of moot.

Waluigi seems to be one of those choices that I don't think is a bad one, but not necessarily good. Down the road if we continue to receive Mario newcomers (if we even get anymore), I could see Waluigi as a serious contender, but I just don't think now is his time.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
And by 4 assist trophies that could become playable characters, you're referring to Starfy, Issac, Little Mac, and Samurai Goroh, correct?

D

Deleted member

And by 4 assist trophies that could become playable characters, you're referring to Starfy, Issac, Little Mac, and Samurai Goroh, correct?
He's referring to Little Mac, Saki, Starfy, and Waluigi.

My personal opinion on Assist Trophies; I think that we'll receive two to four Assist Trophy characters as playable. The ones I see as most likely are Little Mac, Saki, Isaac, and Samurai Goroh.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
And by 4 assist trophies, you're referring to Starfy, Issac, Little Mac, and Samurai Goroh, correct?
No; Saki Amamiya, Starfy, Waluigi and Isaac. Little Mac is definitely going to be considered, so I do not even throw him in the same group. Saki Amamiya I am pretty confident will be reconsidered as well, as for the latter three they have a chance, but not much. Isaac will probably be passed up for Shulk, and Waluigi will probably be passed up for another Mario character like Toad or Bowser Jr.

After some thought I've dropped Samurai Goroh from my "likely to be reconsidered" category.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Little Mac, Saki Amamiya, Waluigi and Starfy are about the only AT's I still see in the running for a promotion, so to speak.
What about Goroh?

@Chronobound: Last night you mentioned Sakurai said SSB4 will have fewer newcomers
Sakurai has flat out said that Smash 4 will have less newcomers than Brawl, and that there is a finite amount of characters that are worthy enough to be playable in Smash Bros.
(a statement that he has only stated to the Japanese audiences).
Is there a source of this? I'm interested in seeing it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
After some thought I've dropped Samurai Goroh from my "likely to be reconsidered" category.
Everyone keeps yelling at me for it, but I say that Samurai Goroh's best chance is Takamaru getting in. Either way, F-Zero's second character is going to be a clone or luigi-fied clone of another character on the roster. However, I am getting the feeling that Sakurai will feel that giving F-Zero a newcomer is not a priority in light of the series not having a new installment since 2004 and there not being an overwhelming demand for one anywhere.

D

Deleted member

@SmashChu: Sakurai did state in a February, 2008 article (along where he said that only Mii and Animal Crossing were "worthy" series of consideration) on Famitisu in which if there were to be a Smash 4, there wouldn't be many newcomers. That was four years ago, so whenever or not he holds the same philosophy remains the same, but I do think Smash 4 will have less newcomers than Brawl since the pool for Smash 4 candidates is running dry.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Everyone keeps yelling at me for it, but I say that Samurai Goroh's best chance is Takamaru getting in. Either way, F-Zero's second character is going to be a clone or luigi-fied clone of another character on the roster. However, I am getting the feeling that Sakurai will feel that giving F-Zero a newcomer is not a priority in light of the series not having a new installment since 2004 and there not being an overwhelming demand for one anywhere.
Well actually my reasoning is that Takamaru will probably end up being our complimentary samurai for the game (in turn meaning I've reconsidered my stance on Takamaru). What has me curious is Sakurai recently hinted that there might be a retro series he has in mind to "revive" in the next Smash Bros. Something struck me playing through WarioWare D.I.Y and seeing the microgame he developed. It was very samurai-ish. Something about it just made me go "hmm", not to say this has anything to do with Takamaru specifically, but it did make me think.

Somehow I see Takamaru playing out better than Goroh anyways.

@SmashChu: Sakurai did state in a February, 2008 article (along where he said that only Mii and Animal Crossing were "worthy" series of consideration) on Famitisu in which if there were to be a Smash 4, there wouldn't be many newcomers. That was four years ago, so whenever or not he holds the same philosophy remains the same, but I do think Smash 4 will have less newcomers than Brawl since the pool for Smash 4 candidates is running dry.
And yet Sakurai recently stated he could also make a fifty character roster and double stages, but that is not all he wanted to do. It is a matter of perspective for Sakurai.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What has me curious is Sakurai recently hinted that there might be a retro series he has in mind to "revive" in the next Smash Bros. Something struck me playing through WarioWare D.I.Y and seeing the microgame he developed. It was very samurai-ish. Something about it just made me go "hmm", not to say this has anything to do with Takamaru specifically, but it did make me think.
Another possible hint is that Sakurai's favorite weapon in Kid Icarus: Uprising is the Samurai Blade. So we can presume that Sakurai is a fan of samurais.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
And yet Sakurai recently stated he could also make a fifty character roster and double stages, but that is not all he wanted to do.
Sakurai almost certainly meant fifty characters including transformation. So if we're going by slots, that would be forty-six.

But when we look at it, there's no real way to tell how small or big of an increase we're going to get. Some things like the Famitisu Feburary, 2008 article indicates a conservative route whereas the Forbidden Seven shows that Sakurai wouldn't mind having a larger roster if he can balance it. I would say we'll get anywhere from forty-nine to fifty-six characters, transformation included.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
49? That's about... 13 newcomers? (-l[]l-);;; I'd wanna dream this tho. (-lvl-)

But maan, I wish they'd consider Starfy this time. I've been so long waiting for him.

D

Deleted member

That forty-nine, transformation included.

When in slots, I'm basically saying 45 to 52.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

When asked by Nintendo Power about reviving another dormant franchise or character, Sakurai mused that if there was such a character, he might be planning it for the next Smash Bros.: “You know, you could probably say that I’m the best in the world when it comes to giving second acts to classic video game characters. That’s mostly due to Smash Bros... and now I can’t believe I’m doing the same thing for Kid Icarus!”
For those curious.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
has anyone mentioned anything about music for SSB4?
I just wanted to share some music that I've been listening lately and they are of course suggestions for the sequel...

Donkey Kong Country - Fear Factory (Remix)

Donkey Kong 64 - Monkey Smash (Multiplayer)

Donkey Kong 64 - Hideout Helm (imagine this performed by a symphony orchestra...)

Super Smash Bros Melee - Multi-Man Melee 2 (WHY IS THIS NOT IN BRAWL!?)

if Mega Man is included... then...
Mega Man 10 - Solar Man (Remix) Gencoil aka E-tank makes awesome remixes/covers!

if Sonic returns...
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Chemical Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom