• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Here is a ridiculously well-made Poké Floats 2.
So, Sakurai likes Shy Guys? so there's still hope for this little fellah...
I said Sakurai likes Sky Guy... as a NPC character on 2 different Yoshi stages. That doesn't mean he's gonna be playable.

There's all kinds of characters we all think would be "awesome" that won't be playable.
Geno, Mallow, Rawk Hawk, Lanky Kong, Beast Ganon, SA-X, Kamek, Peppy Hare, Blastoise, Ditto, Tyranitaur, Sceptile, Breloom, Infernape, Paula, Duster, Eliwood, Hector, the Eggplant Wizard (for the lulz only), Mr. Resetti, Gray Fox, Revolver Ocelot, Knuckles, Proto Man, Simon Belmont, Crono, and Terra (Final Fantasy VI)
would be my choices.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
First was started to explain why we know poor things about it,but not sure,since the site also said about playstation all star long before we knew,and it seemed fake at the time...
Wii G's mansion 2(lol)
Third was NOT a rumor, but it only says "compatible",it's not talking about a game there,but somewhere else,they are talking about "we don't have wii u version pictures yet" so i'm curious,maybe they're just talking about the 3DS game working on the wii u.
Before getting your hopes,don't forget the picture in the corner can't be wii u
One retailer listed Luigi's Mansion 2 as a Wii U game as well as a 3DS game. It's almost certainly a mistake, but was reported on nonetheless.

The other just talks about how Uprising is compatible interacting with the Wii U. (I'm not sure in what capacity though). And there aren't any screenshots of it interacting with the Wii U yet. I don't recall anybody saying anything about cross compatibility for Uprising though, so I don't think this is true either.

Warheart_666 said:
It's really a shame, because I can already see a nice moveset for General Guy...
It's also a shame to not have a lightweight villain (and comical, uses toys as weapons) in SSB, since all villains (except DDD) look brutal, scary (LOL) and powerful.

Someone said that Sakurai likes Shy Guys, so there's still hope for this little fellah...
You can still post a moveset. Shy Guy is more likely than General Guy, so you might want to have it relate to him more. But it's your moveset, you can do what you want.

Bowser Jr. could also be a relatively lightweight and comical villain. He's probably the most likely lightweight villain, but I might be forgetting someone.

And just because Sakurai has included Shy Guy previously as part of the background in stages, doesn't mean you should get your hopes up. Many other characters have been NPCs that won't get in too.

plokoon9619

Smash Cadet
Snake was a stupid choice for a 3rd party character anyways.

If I'm wrong, fine, but I'm hoping he's gone. Hell, throw Sonic out with him. Keep Megs and Slime away too.

Let's ust get back to the Nintendo characters.
Your practically bipolar now aren't you?

Sonic damn well better stay, he fits in perfectly in the Smash environment.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
Simon Belmont, meh...
TBH, I only liked Castlevania 1 and that's pretty much it. I think egoraptor describes pretty well why I dislike those games. For some veeery weird reason, when I play other Castlevania games, it feels like I'm playing CoD, which is a completely different game...

But if people like him, I respect their opinion...
When it comes to Konami, I think Solid Snake is overall their most memorable character, but that's just me.

One more thing about stage editor:
It would be cool if players could upload stages to a database, so that others can search for it and play it both offline (by first downloading it to Wii U) and online.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ridley could be comical depending on how you choose to look at him.
I think alot of villains are or could be comical:
Ridley, K. Rool, Dedede, Goroh, etc.

I think Bowser Jr's the only lightweight one that has a chance though. Not that being comical or being lightweight has any baring on actual chances, lol.

Although being comical really should be a category for consideration. :awesome:

@plokoon
Sonic won't be going anywhere.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I ****ing looooooooooooooooooooooooove Sonic, but it isn't guaranteed at all that he'll stay

Same thing for Snake

Goroh isn't really a villain at all

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I don't think we'll see Wii U/3DS exclusive 3rd party playable characters, or playable characters for that matter. The only exception I see is if Nintendo and Microsoft reach a deal on Banjo/Conker and let them in only for a 3DS/handheld smash bros game. However, even that is going realllly out there.

Four counting Snake and Sonic isn't a lot. But not counting them (and if they return), that is a 3rd party party.

Here is an awesome Mega Man X6 stage, an awesome NEW Super Mario Bros. stage hack (Shortie will like this!), an awesome redone version of the SSE Space Lab made into a full-on gory Metroid Prime Space Pirates Lab stage (which btw, the SSE Space Lab should have been a stage you can play in the multiplayer), and an awesome Chozo Ruins stage.
what is yr logic behind saying we probably won't be seeing any 3rd party playable characters? banjo or conker exclusively for 3ds version doesn't even make sense, especially if you believe there will be no 3rd party characters in the first place.

on the ryu and megaman note: i would have a hard time believing capcom and nintendo would come to an agreement over ryu, especially considering sakurai stated he did not want smash to be competitive and the inclusion of a character from one of the most competitive video game franchises would completely contradict that essence. plus, fgc hates smash.

megaman would probably have priority as a capcom rep, yes, but i just meant it would be cool to see zak and wiki get some love so that a sequel might be possible afterwards.

:phone:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
He wasn't saying that there wouldn't be any third parties at all in Smash 4, just that he doesn't think there'll be any third parties exclusive to one version or the other

Samurai Goroh may be the self-proclaimed rival of Captain Falcon, and he might be an ex-cop on the wrong side of the law, but that doesn't make him a villain. He's actually a pretty noble warrior whose crimes are more focused on thievery and petty crimes than anything and it's not like he works for any actual F-Zero villain or anything. Hell, you could consider Pico more of a villain than Goroh since he's pretty much a bloodthirsty hitman. If you want a more comical F-Zero character that's actually a villain, then you should probably hit up Zoda

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Your practically bipolar now aren't you?

Sonic damn well better stay, he fits in perfectly in the Smash environment.
Wouldn't being Bipolar cause me to say one thing, and then the exact opposite the next day? I've always disliked third parties.

Now SMD Cody.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
do you agree? if smash u plays using the standard style and smash ds is an adventure game (of sorts) then you might see a higher amount of sales in the obviously more competitively viable game, but when you introduce version exclusive characters only accessible via interconnectivity then it gives consumers ANOTHER reason to get both games.

nintendo wants dat $, folks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
what is yr logic behind saying we probably won't be seeing any 3rd party playable characters? banjo or conker exclusively for 3ds version doesn't even make sense, especially if you believe there will be no 3rd party characters in the first place.
He just said he didn't think there would be 3rd party character exclusive to one system or the other (other than B&K), not that there wouldn't be any 3rd parties in general.
edit: Ninja'd but whatevah

on the ryu and megaman note: i would have a hard time believing capcom and nintendo would come to an agreement over ryu, especially considering sakurai stated he did not want smash to be competitive and the inclusion of a character from one of the most competitive video game franchises would completely contradict the essence. plus, fgc hates smash.
Sakurai also said he wanted a light, over-exaggerated game with a lack of realism, yet Snake got in, one of the darkest, most serious characters, from a mature and (arguably) realistic series. Sakurai doesn't explicitly state he wants the game to be free of competition, he just designs and develops it with only the average non-competitive player in mind. That being said, I don't find Ryu as a likely character in Smash.

megaman would probably have priority as a capcom rep, yes, but i just meant it would be cool to see zak and wiki get some love so that a sequel might be possible afterwards.
I think the only way Zack and Wiki could get in is if they were 1st party Nintendo characters, and even then it would be unlikely. Shame, it was a good game.

And a sequel still isn't completely off the table.

Metal Overlord said:
Samurai Goroh may be the self-proclaimed rival of Captain Falcon, and he might be an ex-cop on the wrong side of the law, but that doesn't make him a villain. He's actually a pretty noble warrior whose crimes are more focused on thievery and petty crimes than anything and it's not like he works for any actual F-Zero villain or anything. Hell, you could consider Pico more of a villain than Goroh since he's pretty much a bloodthirsty hitman. If you want a more comical F-Zero character that's actually a villain, then you should probably hit up Zoda
And yeah, Sakurai Goroh is more an anti-hero than a villain. He still opposed the main character of the series, which is why I included him. He's no Black Shadow or Deathborn though. Or Zoda.

D

Deleted member

@Johnknight: That's because Meloetta was recently revealed this year and until very recent, had nothing going for her to promote.

Wait until Best Wishes 2 starts, then see all the promotions she will get.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I would argue that the concept of finally bringing the Smash series to the handheld scene and having it interact with the home version are enough of major selling points considering that a handheld version of Smash has been highly requested and the fact that we'll have two new Smash games to choose from this generation instead of just one. Personally, if they really want to sell the idea of purchasing both games instead of one due to the interconnectivity between the two versions, then they should do that the proper way by hyping up new and exciting features that justify the idea of getting both versions. Version-exclusive characters, IMO, are just a forced and unnecessary way to artificially increase sales, and the concept of characters unlocked only through interconnectivity is actually kinda counter-productive. What about the people who won't buy or can't afford both versions? Why should they have to pay for an entirely new game (and possibly even console) just to unlock characters that are already in the game? People like convenience, so...

Just my two cents

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I ****ing looooooooooooooooooooooooove Sonic, but it isn't guaranteed at all that he'll stay
Money. Nuff said. If you don't like money, you are dead in this business. Sonic makes money for Smash. Smash makes money for Sonic. Thus, Sonic is staying in Smash.
Simon Belmont, meh...
TBH, I only liked Castlevania 1 and that's pretty much it. I think egoraptor describes pretty well why I dislike those games. For some veeery weird reason, when I play other Castlevania games, it feels like I'm playing a completely different game...
I do agree with you here. The 1st Castlevania (maybe the 2nd one, too) felt more like platform games. After that, they became more of say action/RPG/action RPG games.
But if people like him, I respect their opinion...
When it comes to Konami, I think Solid Snake is overall their most memorable character, but that's just me.
I agree, but Simon shouldn't be ignored. If I'm Kojima, I'm pushing him as an Assist Trophy character.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Kojima was a producer in a recent Castlevania game or two. So... yes. He does have a say in Castlevania. :p Plus he already got Konami in smash. :snake:

Also, if Nintendo really wanted each of these smash bros games to succeed, they would release them about 1-2 years apart from each other (with the 3DS one coming out 1st).
@Johnknight: That's because Meloetta was recently revealed this year and until very recent, had nothing going for her to promote.

Wait until Best Wishes 2 starts, then see all the promotions she will get.
Yes, but we haven't seen a late promoted Pokémon make it into Smash Bros. yet. Pikachu and Jigglypuff were advertised early, and Mewtwo not too far after that. Pichu was one of the 1st 2nd Generation Pokémon revealed. Lucario was one of the 1st Pokémon revealed.

I'm not saying that pattern is set in stone. However, so far, there has yet to be a clear exception to this "theory" or "rule."

D

Deleted member

@Cat Fight: Third-parties do not come nearly as easily as you think. As a matter of fact, Sakurai has went on the record to state that it is harder to do third-parties than even make the game and I doubt Smash 4 will change that. I would not expect anymore than one new third-party character at best.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, we barely even got Sonic in Brawl due to legal issues-even after he was in that Mario and Sonic at the Olympics game!

Snake was easier to get in because Sakurai is friends with Kojima and they got the legal rights to make Snake playable in Brawl (along with a tons of content from the Metal Gear series, including NPC's, trophies, items, voice actors, and even a stage) before development began. I got a feeling this method is most likely the one that is going to be used.
Probably like how he likes Dedede as a background NPC, and Ridley
Or like how 20th century men wanted their women in the kitchen! :awesome:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@John- I fear that Sakurai will view Sonic and Snake as just a one-time thing and ultimately say, "**** you" to recurring third parties by giving them the axe

Sonic will most likely stay though because not only is he iconic to video gaming in general, he's a character that got in almost singlehandedly due to MASSIVE demand for him. And I mean, he's Mario's old rival. So, with that in mind, it would be pretty damn stupid to cut a character so popular in the first place, especially since he offers a unique moveset within Smash that can easily be improved upon in future titles

So, with all that said, I'm just not being a fanboy and merely recognizing the possibility that he could be cut, even if he isn't actually in much danger of being cut at all

Anyway, this post makes me feel weird because I agreed and disagreed with you at the same time

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@John- I fear that Sakurai will view Sonic and Snake as just a one-time thing and ultimately say, "**** you" to recurring third parties by giving them the axe
This is Sakurai, not the developers of Soul Calibur. He doesn't give two craps about other fighting games (well, maybe Street Fighter).

Plus consider the guests: Sonic and Snake. Video game names don't get any bigger than Sonic, and Snake is a pretty big name himself. Who has Soul Calibur had=??? 3 console exclusive characters in SCII (Link being the biggest), Lloyd Irving (not that big), Yoda and Darth Vader (big, but not in gaming necessarily), Darth Vader's secret Apprentice (not big at all), Kratos from God of War (a tier or so below Snake), and Ezio (a tier or two below Kratos).

On top of that, Sonic is still huge in gaming. He's arguably the most well-known 3rd party character. As for Snake, his series is as strong as ever, he's as popular as ever, and he was well-received in Brawl. Oh, and Sakurai and Kojima are still friends, and keeps sending Sakurai all kinds of Metal Gear crap (which Sakurai is a fan of).

Plus unlike all non-crossover fighting games (and many crossover fighting games), Smash is about history. Without Snake/Konami and Sonic/SEGA, part of that history is gone.

D

Deleted member

But remember John, it is still early within production of Smash 4.

If production had lasted say, a year already, then I would say that Meloetta stands no chance, but the night is still young, so to speak.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The only thing I like about Meloetta is her move "Relic Song" in the game. Beyond that, what is there interesting about her? Yeah she can transform from a more "magic user" state to a fighter one, just like Zelda, but I am not so sure if that brings a whole lot that can justify it.

Just in my view, of course.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But remember John, it is still early within production of Smash 4.

If production had lasted say, a year already, then I would say that Meloetta stands no chance, but the night is still young, so to speak.
I agree... mostly.

I assume the roster has already gone through preliminary nominations and eliminations of many of those nominees. It may even be further. While characters may be added to this, it is very rare that such characters would be playable. Unless Meloetta was an initially considered character, I don't think Meloetta stands much of a shot at being playable.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'll serve you a knuckle sammich.
Not if your lady becomes a faghag of mine. :D

MWAHAHAHAHA!

I would say, as it stands, Sakurai knows of coming releases (For the Wii U/3DS), and he knows of what the Pokemon Co wants. So, for the most part, I'm sure he has three forths of the roster finished IN HIS HEAD.

D

Deleted member

@disfunkshunal: In all honesty, I would prefer a Metroid x Star Fox cross-over over a Star Fox x F-zero cross-over and think if the rumor is true, I would be pleased with it. I said Star Fox x F-zero was more likely because of the possible connections between both franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom