• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If SSB4 is going to increase the character roster, then I think the Mario roster needs to be adjusted accordingly. I'd only want one rep for the series though, and since the ones at hand are from the main games, I'd like it more if the one additional rep came from one of Mario's most notable spin off series. I'd enjoy Paper Mario moreso than Waluigi or Bowser Jr. or Toad, because of the whole paper gimmick.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yes, I feel the ones in brawl right now were necessary. But, adding anymore I still say is over saturating the roster. It is like pokemon. There are hundreds to choose from, but you have to have a limit of when to say stop.

If there was another mushroom kingdom type character to be added, I would say either waluigi or rosalina and leave it at that.
But neither of those characters are really feasible. The real Mario contenders have been pointed out in this topic - Bowser Jr., Toad, and maybe Paper Mario. I don't see any of them beyond that getting in.

Waluigi is a filler character while Rosalina is a character from only two Mario games. She has a higher chance than Waluigi or Daisy, but not much of one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Think you should give credit to RARE, not Nintendo... Nintendo adds Funky Kong, RARE adds Dixie.

Just look at Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. You get Tiny, Lanky, Wrinkly, Funky and Cranky Kong. But no Dixie? See how this is playing out...
You sure about that?

Look at this! Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Dixie Kong are the only characters on the front cover.

EDIT: @ refugee

There are no other recurring Wario villains besides Captain Syrup. But even her chances are not very good. The only reason I see people using to support her is that she is a "female" and a "villain". If we are going to have a female villain, make sure she really counts! That's why Medusa works. She is THE villain of the Kid Icarus series... Captain Syrup is not THE villain of the Wario Land series... at least not yet!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You sure about that?

Look at this! Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Dixie Kong are the only characters on the front cover.
Well doesn't that beat all? I'm entitled to be mistaken. Still, overall I don't foresee us getting another Donkey Kong character.

Rosalina I felt might have been an Ike sort of character. What character represented the most recent fire emblem extensions? Ike. So, he was added in to brawl. I thought Rosalina might fit that new representation feeling. Super Mario Galaxy is sort of the new age representation of the Mario series and someone like Rosalina was the newly added character into it.

I guess a more interesting topic though are any new 3rd party deals Nintendo will be lining up.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
As far as Donkey Kong characters are concerned Funky Kong has more relevance than King K. Rool or Dixi Kong. At least he appeared in Mario Kart Wii. :\

Out of them all Cranky Kong is still the most relevant besides the other two. But I HIGHLY doubt we will see a playable Cranky Kong...
Yeah... K. Rool is to DK what Bowser is to Mario. His absence in one title isn't going to hurt him much.
Did Ganon's absence from Majora's Mask keep him out of Melee?

Okay Funky got into Mario Kart, K. Rool got into Mario Sluggers, So they're at least even in that regard.
Edit: Ah, Arcadenik's already on it.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina I felt might have been an Ike sort of character. What character represented the most recent fire emblem extensions? Ike. So, he was added in to brawl. I thought Rosalina might fit that new representation feeling. Super Mario Galaxy is sort of the new age representation of the Mario series and someone like Rosalina was the newly added character into it.
I understand your opinions; however, the only problem I find with Rosalina is that she was not the main character in those 2 games (unlike Ike in his games). Mario was the main character while Rosalina was more of a major supporting character. She's interesting, but I think Toad and Bowser Jr. deserve it over her due to their overall contributions to the series.

Master Peach

Smash Ace

I guess a more interesting topic though are any new 3rd party deals Nintendo will be lining up.
I'd like to see either Rosalina Or Daisy in the game, but my concern is Their Moveset. I see Daisy with more Potential for a moveset but Regardless if they put Rosalina in I'd like to see what moves they give her and how she would work in game.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to leave the Toad/Bowser Jr. debate at this.

I have no desire to see Toad in SSB4. It doesn't make sense and I can't possibly imagine what move he would possibly have if playable. Bowser Jr. to me makes a lot more sense considering that he at (From my point of view) least has moveset potentials and the ability to turn into Shadow Mario, which gives him a lot to work with. And really, that's the only character I see getting into SSB4 that is new from the Mario side. Others are unlikely at best.
Starphoenix said:
I said "relevant". Seeing as Dixie Kong's last appearance was in Mario Sluggers compared to Funky Kong in Mario Kart Wii and Cranky Kong in Donkey Kong Country Returns, by every definition that makes them the most relevant at this time.
Technically, that makes Dixie Kong more relevant then Funky Kong. Super Mario Sluggers came out in August, 2009 (Dixie's latest appearance), Mario Kart Wii came out in April, 2008. That's over a year's difference.
Starphoenix said:
Think you should give credit to RARE, not Nintendo... Nintendo adds Funky Kong, RARE adds Dixie.

Just look at Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. You get Tiny, Lanky, Wrinkly, Funky and Cranky Kong. But no Dixie? See how this is playing out...
Why give RARE credit to Dixie? Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong franchise, not RARE.
~Eryth said:
I'm only really expecting Capcom, Sega, and Konami to get involved. Maybe Ubisoft, Namco, or Square Enix, but chances of that happening are low.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
I understand your opinions; however, the only problem I find with Rosalina is that she was not the main character in those 2 games (unlike Ike in his games). Mario was the main character while Rosalina was more of a major supporting character. She's interesting, but I think Toad and Bowser Jr. deserve it over her due to their overall contributions to the series.
Before Melee Peach was playable in one game and she didn't do too much but put Pick up enemies jump and Float. After that she was always taken by Bowser and ***** in his castle and you'd never see her till you reached the end of the game. Yet she's in Smash with her own unique moveset. I'm pretty sure Sakurai can do the same for Rosalina with enough Imagination

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well doesn't that beat all? I'm entitled to be mistaken. Still, overall I don't foresee us getting another Donkey Kong character.
Why? Because of Donkey Kong Country Returns?

This is Sakurai we are talking about. He wanted to add Dixie Kong in Brawl in spite of her last major role being in 1996 (Donkey Kong Country 3) and the only reason she was cut in Brawl was due to time constraints, not her lack of relevance in recent Donkey Kong games. Sakurai usually adds ideas that was cut from past Smash games in the next Smash game. He planned for Bowser, Mewtwo, and King Dedede in Smash 64. Cue Melee and Brawl. He planned for Final Smashes in Smash 64. Cue Brawl. So, I don't see why Sakurai cannot do this with Dixie Kong.

Yeah... K. Rool is to DK what Bowser is to Mario. His absence in one title isn't going to hurt him much.
Did Ganon's absence from Majora's Mask keep him out of Melee?

Okay Funky got into Mario Kart, K. Rool got into Mario Sluggers, So they're at least even in that regard.
And even so, Dixie Kong got in before King K. Rool and Funky Kong in the original Mario Superstar Baseball. Dixie Kong also got in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the DS but was cut in Mario Sports Mix along with most unlockable Mario characters. Dixie Kong was also in Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I have no desire to see Toad in SSB4. It doesn't make sense and I can't possibly imagine what move he would possibly have if playable. Bowser Jr. to me makes a lot more sense considering that he at (From my point of view) least has moveset potentials and the ability to turn into Shadow Mario, which gives him a lot to work with. And really, that's the only character I see getting into SSB4 that is new from the Mario side. Others are unlikely at best.
Toad with no moveset potential again?! He has a larger moveset to create/pull from than Jr. does. I remember even posting a moveset post in the older thread in the final pages as well. I think you're just underestimating Toad, and just supporting Jr. Anyways, I'll leave the Toad discussion from here.

Before Melee Peach was playable in one game and she didn't do too much but put Pick up enemies jump and Float. After that she was always taken by Bowser and ***** in his castle and you'd never see her till you reached the end of the game. Yet she's in Smash with her own unique moveset. I'm pretty sure Sakurai can do the same for Rosalina with enough Imagination
Same can go for Toad.

I cannot think of them removing any characters from this game except for a few. What has been the largest fighter roster to date? 40 to me seems an already impressive number. But, the cuts I might see are Toon Link, Lucario, Pokemon trainer, and something with the fire emblem series.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Toad with no moveset potential again?! He has a larger moveset to create/pull from than Jr. does. I remember even posting a moveset post in the older thread in the final pages as well. Anyways, I'll leave the Toad discussion from here.

Same can go for Toad.
I'm not arguing that he can't, but honestly I don't see toad really getting a spot in smash only because I don't think his fanbase is high enough to get him in. Toad is a common character in the Mario universe. Plus to add to that there are many Toads. He's common town folk in most of the series. That's my only thing with him.

If Sakurai puts him in the game I wouldn't mind either way. He's just not that important to me.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I'm only really expecting Capcom, Sega, and Konami to get involved. Maybe Ubisoft, Namco, or Square Enix, but chances of that happening are low.
I'm actually hoping that Rayman has a shot. He'd be such a cool addition I think. Konami with the sneak Crash Bandicoot? Idk what Namco would really have in terms of characters to bring SSB.

IMO Waluigi>Bowser Jr.>Toad

And I don't think Moveset is a viable reason on why you think a character shouldn't be in SSB4. A lot of characters movesets were fabricated from very little to deal with from the original character.

I cannot think of them removing any characters from this game except for a few. What has been the largest fighter roster to date? 40 to me seems an already impressive number. But, the cuts I might see are Toon Link, Lucario, Pokemon trainer, and something with the fire emblem series.
Biggest fighter roster is probably one of the latest DBZ games, they reached over 100 IIRC (although 60% of the characters have the same moveset)

I'm not arguing that he can't, but honestly I don't see toad really getting a spot in smash only because I don't think his fanbase is high enough to get him in. Toad is a common character in the Mario universe. Plus to add to that there are many Toads. He's common town folk in most of the series. That's my only thing with him.

If Sakurai puts him in the game I wouldn't mind either way. He's just not that important to me.
See: Yoshi

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I personally would love to see Toad, really other than the core 4 when you picture a Mario game you think Toad. When I think of the Mushroom Kingdom I think of Toad. As for Dixie Kong, I would love to see her as well, as long as she wasn't a clone.

What are some games you would like to see stages from? Obviously Mario Galaxy, but I think Kirby's Epic Yarn could produce a really cool, unique stage.

D

Deleted member

The largest was 163 characters in Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3. I think that game has something to do with people having incredibly unrealistic expectations for Brawl and this game. If the Dragon Ball Z fighting series hadn't occurred, there wouldn't be nearly as many ridiculous roster wishlist as we see now.

I agree that we'll have a decent chance of losing Toon Link and Lucario, but I can't see Pokemon Trainer go (The most I can see happen is him changing to Generation 2/3/5 with Pokemon from respective generations) and I highly, highly doubt either Marth or Ike is going.

Anyway, going to bed, see y'all in the morning/afternoon.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
ewww.. waluigi?
if rayman can get in, then sukapon can get in... and we're not having that.

and, once again, RayaGRH... when you think of Mario... you must think of Luigi... anyone else and you're pretty much just saying that because you really want toad in.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
And even so, Dixie Kong got in before King K. Rool and Funky Kong in the original Mario Superstar Baseball. Dixie Kong also got in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the DS but was cut in Mario Sports Mix along with most unlockable Mario characters. Dixie Kong was also in Diddy Kong Racing DS.
True, however this is the way I see it. K. Rool being the villain of the series, and Dixie being another chimp (therefore inclined to bring the same thing Diddy does into Smash) K. Rool takes priority to me as an unquestionably unique fighter. I would like them both to make it. I just can't justify Dixie as well as I can K. Rool. Her best bet, In my mind, would be as a partner to Diddy and I know from the old topic there's alot of people who'd be up in arms about tweaking Diddy.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
ewww.. waluigi?

and, once again, RayaGRH... when you think of Mario... you must think of Luigi... anyone else and you're pretty much just saying that because you really want toad in.
Lol, Rayman has a way bigger chance then Sukapon.

And my thought process of the Mario Universe Mario>Luigi>Peach>Bowser>>>>>Koopa>Goomba>Toad>Boo>>>>>>>>Minor characters from different games I've played (Particularly Paper Mario 1 & 2

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
ewww.. waluigi?

What's wrong with Sukapon? I thinks he's the number 1 choice for a retro character hands down.

edit: And no Rayman doesn't. The fact that he's 3rd party makes that so.

One hundred and sixty... wtf! Wow. Hmm... I guess that is an issue with anything being competitive next generation. Too many characters breaks the ease of making things balanced. Oh, well. I think 60 might be a decent upper limit. Melee was like.... 26-27 I think? Brawl is 40. N64 was 12.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
I'm actually hoping that Rayman has a shot. He'd be such a cool addition I think. Konami with the sneak Crash Bandicoot? Idk what Namco would really have in terms of characters to bring SSB.

IMO Waluigi>Bowser Jr.>Toad

And I don't think Moveset is a viable reason on why you think a character shouldn't be in SSB4. A lot of characters movesets were fabricated from very little to deal with from the original character.
Fanbase and moveset potential are things to take into consideration when involving characters in Smash. I believe its an Easier process when you have something to go off on when making a character for smash. Using stuff like resources and personality and such help move along the process of making a moveset.

One thing I can't figure out though why a person like Gannon would be cloned to play like CF if he has so many moves he could have been given.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
sure, numbuh 1 choice for a retro... that doesn't mean it is a viable one.

Sukapon and Rayman are both limbless. this is a problem in sakurai's mind (and no, im not speaking for me, he stated that he can't work with sukapon cause he's limbless (i'm paraphrasing))

considering tenkaichi 3... why don't you try cutting the roster from it's transformations.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
One hundred and sixty... wtf! Wow. Hmm... I guess that is an issue with anything being competitive next generation. Too many characters breaks the ease of making things balanced. Oh, well. I think 60 might be a decent upper limit. Melee was like.... 26-27 I think? Brawl is 40. N64 was 12.
I feel like DBZ just put characters in to have them. Those games were not made with balance in mind. They had completely ridiculously powerful characters, then incredibly weak characters also. All other characters had normal combos and ki blasts that all did the same things.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
sure, numbuh 1 choice for a retro... that doesn't mean it is a viable one.

Sukapon and Rayman are both limbless. this is a problem in sakurai's mind (and no, im not speaking for me, he stated that he can't work with sukapon cause he's limbless (i'm paraphrasing))

considering tenkaichi 3... why don't you try cutting the roster from it's transformations.
Source or I don't believe you. Say what you want, I think Sukapon has a good chance.

edit: and I was wrong, Baloon Fighter's prob the top spot for a retro character.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i don't have good google skills... it was linked multiple times on the original SSB4 discussion thread.

if ToiseOfChoice ever shows up here, you should ask him... also... Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Bubbles, Excite Biker, and Sukapon were all ousted in the link.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
This is my modest 45 character dream-roster, trying not to cut any characters I think are significant.

[COLLAPSE="SMACKAKOW"]
F-Zero: 2
Captain Falcon
Black Shadow (Give Ganon a new moveset, leave me a character that hits like the boston molasses disaster, also I've wanted to Falcon Punch this guy for a while now)

Donkey Kong: 3
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

Super Mario: 6
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Paper Mario (Deserves it)
Geno (Unlikely, but I think the Mario RPG's are deserving of 2 reps and who better than Geno?)

Warioware: 1
Wario (Do we really need more?)

Ice Climbers: 1
The Ice Climbers

Yoshi: 1
Yoshi

The Legend of Zelda: 6
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link (New moveset, slightly)
Vaati (Why not make it 2 for the toons, he's also the second most prominent Zelda villain)
Midna (I'd rather have Skull Kid but I'm not sure what he'd do)

Star Fox: 3
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Fire Emblem: 3
Marth
Lyn (Marth + Captain Falcon? :D)
Ike

Pokemon: 5
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Silver (Totodile, Bayleef, Typhlosion)

(The only Gen V pokemon I'd want is Scrafty)

Pikmin: 1
Olimar

Metroid: 2
Samus
Ridley (Bowser's been huge before too, no reason you can't downsize)

Sonic the Hedgehog: 1
Sonic

Metal Gear Solid: 1
Snake

Megaman: 1
Megaman

Mother: 2
Lucas
Claus (Arm Cannon, sword, lightning, bat wings, pretty much one of the coolest characters you can ask for)

Kirby: 3
Kirby
Metaknight
King DeDeDe

Kid Icarus: 1
Pit

No More Heroes: 1
Travis Touchdown (Would just be funny)

Golden Sun: 1
Isaac[/COLLAPSE]

Also, does anyone else think that Final Smashes could be much better implemented through some sort of SMASH METER that builds up over time, much like other fighting games?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
i don't have good google skills... it was linked multiple times on the original SSB4 discussion thread.

if ToiseOfChoice ever shows up here, you should ask him... also... Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Bubbles, Excite Biker, and Sukapon were all ousted in the link.
I've been searching as well but I couldn't find him. I found multiple things saying Sakurai showed distaste to Sukapon but no source... on any. (:glare:) I did find something that was pretty cool but it's pretty pointless since it was for melee.

http://bmit.wordpress.com/2007/12/01/sukapon-limbless-wonder/

Waluigi>Bowser Jr.>Toad
Waluigi only appears in sport games. You really put him over Bowser Jr. and Toad?
Lol, Rayman has a way bigger chance then Sukapon.

And my thought process of the Mario Universe Mario>Luigi>Peach>Bowser>>>>>Koopa>Goomba>Toad>Boo>>>>>>>>Minor characters from different games I've played (Particularly Paper Mario 1 & 2
Goomba and koopa over Toad? Seriously? They're just generic species. Toad is different from the other Toads.

I'm not sure about Geno. It would be cool to see Geno in action but the problem is... his only appearance in the Mario series was in Mario RPG.

I hope Ganondorf finally uses a sword in the next SSB.

My personal roster:

Mario universe:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad

If there is a newcomer... It's most likely Toad in my opinion. I'd like Toad to get in but I won't rage or cry if he isn't in.
Edit: Okay, maybe I will :( but I'm not a fanboy. I just think he has everything he needs to be in SSB 4

Zelda universe:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
(Insert filler, character or whatever. I don't know :/)

Donkey Kong universe:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K rool

Metroid universe:
Samus/Zero suit
Ridley

Kirby universe:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Yoshi universe:
Yoshi

Warioware universe:
Wario

Star Fox universe:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

F-Zero universe:
Captain Falcon

Pokemon universe:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
(Some free slots for some pokemons or trainers. I don't mind whoever)

Earthbound universe:
Ness
Lucas

Pikmin universe:
Olimar

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Balloon Man
ROB
Mr. Game and Watch

Kid Icarus universe:
Pit

3rd Party:
Snake
Sonic
Megaman

(If possible) Square Enix:
Moogle
Some protagonist (Most likely Terra, Cecil or Cloud)

Lol 72 pages already?

I'm fine with the smash ball. It's just that nintendo should have thought of something better. I hope you can off final smashes if they change the way on how to use Final Smash.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else think something like this from KEY would make for a great stage?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Does anyone else think something like this from KEY would make for a great stage?
You could probably "rip" that, make some changes to make it a Smash stage, and call it a day.

And that reminds me, I really wish that the stages in the next one feel more like that they're from the original games. Some were generic stages based on games, but I want the crossover aspect emphasized like it was back then in 64. Hyrule Castle, Brinstar Depths, Mushroom Kingdom, Dreamland, and Yoshi's Story always seemed like something you'd see in the source games (save for the camera difference with Hyrule Castle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom