• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only truths about real men are:

1. Wear pink.
2. Play Peach.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Valuable button? We have multiple buttons we can use, we don't need to add a bunch to the game to make use of them, and I doubt Sakurai would. Though, double tapping in the opposite direction in mid-air could be a viable option.

Falchion, you'll never know.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Valuable button? We have multiple buttons we can use, we don't need to add a bunch to the game to make use of them, and I doubt Sakurai would. Though, double tapping in the opposite direction in mid-air could be a viable option.

Falchion, you'll never know.
What I meant was that assigning a single button for a single function seems like it's underusing your resources. I could take one of the shield buttons and turn it into a traditional block. I could take one of the jump buttons and turn it into an attack button which would provide more versatility than just turning around which could be a control stick input.

@Falchion
Did you upload this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmlBBfz-lEE&feature=related

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That song is one of the reasons why I'm hyped to play TTT2. This will be the first Tekken that I know how to play properly.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The two big differences between you and Chu are that you're endearing and you're not a prick with those who disagree with you.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well I dunno about that... I'm kind of a jerk on here. Though I hope I'm not taken very seriously. This place is nothing to take to heart, so if I were to call someone else's opinion of what Sm4sh should be like "STUPID", how much does it really matter.

Though I wonder if I can understand how you might feel sometimes. On a GODZILLA BOARD, I might be thought of as a weirdo who thinks a game should be good on its own merits and not rely on film accuracy.

The gameplay. Isn't that all that matters.

What is this feeling of closeness. Maybe one day we can call each other "brother."

OH YEAH. And I heard someone say this online Godzilla flash game is probably the best Godzilla game ever because it's "so accurate," when all you can do is punch, kick, and use one or two special attacks. Oh, and roar.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
MI HERMANO! SEREMOS FUERTES!

I'd say you're more of a jerk with charm. And speaking of the Godzilla game, just tell them that it's all about balance. The only reason why they think film accuracy should manner is because canon says X is stronger than Y, but you can't have that in a videogame. Pretend it's an original cast and it makes no sense.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
This is my friend's roster, a.k.a The Duckling. He is also my sidecick. I am Chicken Man.

Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad

LoZ:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Mask Link
Impa

DK:
DK
Diddy Kong
Kritter

SF:
Fox
Wolf
Leon
Slippy

I think you've heard enough. I cried rivers of blood when he said this.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
MI HERMANO! SEREMOS FUERTES!

I'd say you're more of a jerk with charm. And speaking of the Godzilla game, just tell them that it's all about balance. The only reason why they think film accuracy should manner is because canon says X is stronger than Y, but you can't have that in a videogame. Pretend it's an original cast and it makes no sense.
Ah... No... Their complaints extend much further. The more recent games, I THINK, have done a good job giving monsters personality and making them all distinct fighters from one another. But the fans would rather they all walk around and stiffly slap at each other, with the occasional beam battle.

Accuracy!

It's just weird to think about. How often do we care about accuracy around HERE, lol?

D

Deleted member

1. Increase running speed.
2. Remove random tripping.
3. Make it impossible to air dodge out of hitstun before a certain point (see BlazBlue).
4. Implement auto L-Canceling.
5. Make ledge grabbing possible only if you're facing it.
6. Remove automatic sweet spots for tether recoveries.
7. Reduce the ledge grabbing range.
8. Make throws only grab opponents on the ground.
I like the running speed option. It should be somewhere between Melee and Brawl. Definitely yes to tripping going away (except Diddy's banana). It's pointless and gives us nothing. #5 makes sense as well, thought I don't really care if it remains the same. The rest, I cant' really say anything about.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's just weird to think about. How often do we care about accuracy around HERE, lol?
I think it depends. I've always been ticked that Ness and Lucas' specials were copped out. Other than that, if the moves are in character, that's fine. I think Ganondorf's moves are in character, but resembling a space racing bounty hunter hurts the personality in his moves. As I've said before, making him like Scar, Heihachi, or Makoto would be a welcoming, fitting change.

An example of what wouldn't be in character would be Peach fighting with a katana.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Or Tom Nook fighting with a shovel and fishing poUAGAFHOUEKAH.

Oh, what was that. Did I just eat my own words.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Or Tom Nook fighting with a shovel and fishing poUAGAFHOUEKAH.

Oh, what was that. Did I just eat my own words.
As a serious response:

If he's using them in a way that's in character, it's fine. If he was using the shovel like Marth using his sword, or using the fishing pole like Ivysaur's vines, there would be a problem.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Why remove auto sweet spots for tether recoveries? That really puts the screws to Olimar, Ivysaur, and Zero Suit Samus.

Personally, I think it should be easier to fight for edge grabs, especially with characters that completely rely on tethers. Then again, I think edgehogging is one of the cheapest things ever, and the hallmark of a true *sshole.
Or we can just make those tether recoveries like they did with Link and Samus in Melee. It will remain easy if there's ground ahead.

And about edgehogging being the cheapest thing ever: That's subjective, I personally love edghogging.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
As a serious response:

If he's using them in a way that's in character, it's fine. If he was using the shovel like Marth using his sword, or using the fishing pole like Ivysaur's vines, there would be a problem.
Agreed.

I would love to see a Tom Nook fighting, though. Just for the fun:

Down + B: Hits the ground with his shovel just like in Animal Crossing, using the same animations there. If there's nothing he will perform a windback animation (his punishment for missing). If he manages to hit a character, then it will be buried for awhile (just like what happens when you are hit by a Pitfall but way shorter)

Neutral B: Slingshot time! It's simple and easy. Hold down B and Tom Nook will draw his Slingshot. Don't let it go, while still holding it down you can freely use your control stick to aim, release B and tadaa. Note that the longer you hold B, the stronger your shot will be.

Forward B: Will make Tom Nook to use his Net. He will do a pretty quick swing forward as if he is really trying to catch a bug, double-tap it before the attack comes and he will actually sway twice.

Up B: Swings his Fishing Rod forward, the hook swings from his back, arcs forward in a circular motion until about the level of his feet. The attack can be cancelled earlier if pressed up B again, which will cause him to pull his hook back to the rod. If the attack is not cancelled and at the very end of its animation (about few frames) and someone is hit by the hook, then that person will be dragged back to Tom Nook and receive a small damage %. This hook can also grab the ledge (and not auto sweet-spotting please and thanks).

So yeah, let's not judge my lack of balance, it's purely for fun. And heck, would I love a Tom Nook? YES!@!!!!

3. Make it impossible to air dodge out of hitstun before a certain point (see BlazBlue).
Don't care about number 1,5,6,8

I'm all for 2,3,4,7

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of those numbers...

1, 2, yep, that's it.

L-Cancelling should be manual. That way there's some actual skill in it. Which means depth.

1 is useful.

2 is dur.

3, no. Let it be how it is.

5, once again, no. This makes recoveries more fair for bad characters.

6, hell no. Their recoveries are bad enough already.

7, nope again. Ledges are key to this game and should be hard to beat one who camps it. But not impossible. This is arguable, I admit.

8, nope again. There is barely any difference in game design when you're on the ground or in the air besides how some of your moves work. People should always be grabbed out of the air. It's more realistic overall. It also removes options.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I'm split on the L cancel topic. On one hand it does increase the combo potential and technical depth of the game but creates a bit of an artificial skill factor.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It would if L-Cancelling wasn't easy as hell to do.

It's barely a major skill(unlike Wavedashing) and it very easy to do. It takes a small amount of practice and, to be honest, makes worse characters better overall.

I get it works on fast characters too, but it is purely skillful.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Having to press a button every time you land is SO FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still sometimes press it just by reflex in Brawl. The curse of Melee runs deep.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I don't think edgehogging is a "technique" at all. I'm not saying its presence in the game is unnatural; it makes sense that only one character can grab an edge at once. But it isn't a "technique" any more than jumping. It's just part of the game, and tether characters need to have a way to defend against it. Not a guaranteed way, but at least the chance.

It's a cheap way to get KOs, but that's it. I'm not advocating its abolishment, but rather a way for players to counter it effectively.

Edgehogging is something that kid from the "Annoying Childhood Friend" meme would do.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What alternative do you want?

Having multiple characters being able to hang from the same edge?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Kind of agree with PI here. The only thing that works is Up B's that deal damage directly.

Which means it's more or less just another regular part of the game.

Inb4somebodymentionsIceClimbersandactslikeanassaboutit

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I just said edgehogging makes technical sense, but I want characters (mostly tethers) to be able to grab the edge more easily after knocking an edgehogger off of it.

Oh, and yep, that's the meme.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How come no one has drawn a picture of Birdo as the transvestite in Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I just said edgehogging makes technical sense, but I want characters (mostly tethers ) to be able to grab the edge more easily after knocking an edgehogger off of it.

Oh, and yep, that's the meme.

:phone:
Only characters with bad recovery needs this.

Link,Bowser or Ike,for example.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I'm split on the L cancel topic. On one hand it does increase the combo potential and technical depth of the game but creates a bit of an artificial skill factor.
I think we should give a reason for people to not L-cancel. We already have a reason to L-Cancel --> Getting up faster to follow up with a next attack or to avoid getting hit.

So what could we do if the person chooses to not L-cancel? Let's everybody suggest something, I'll start:

If an attack is not L-cancelled, then after landing you will virtually restore your shield a little bit. Your attack MUST hit the enemy at any point, though. Or else it will do nothing.

Or

After landing, attacks that were not L-Cancelled you cause your character to receive way less knock-back while you are still performing the "get up animation".

Blergh, I don't know. If we can't think of something good for it then L-Cancel should be automatic or not even implemented at all. Because I don't think Sakurai would want that if he has the same mind-set he had for Brawl. If I could I would add L-Cancel without a doubt, it does freshen the fights, because visually we notice a huge difference in fights between pros and noobs.

But it only shows us who trained a lot the timings for L-Cancelling, and it's not something too hard. Anyone can do that, and it's unnecessary. It's like driving a car, but needing to push a red button every time we steer, brake, accelerate or change gears. And if we don't press this little red button our car won't steer too much, the brakes will fail and the accelerating will be like turtle speed oh and don't get me started with the gears. So yeah, why the heck design a car like that when everything could be readily available? (sorry for the HORRIBLE analogy ;p)

Anyway, most of the reasons I don't play Brawl seriously (only play it with friends and items on, I don't go to tourneys to play Brawl etc etc.) is because of many things listed in these 2 last pages. I hope the next SSB will address some of these issues that we THE FANS want fixed. But that's like wishing for the impossible. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
2 is the only one I fully agree with, the rest I'm either not sure because I'm a noob at competitive play or I disagree with.

Still with the exception of no more random tripping, most of this stuff I'm guessing will not be changed (or changed in the way that you want them to be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom