• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I think another part of it is that with more limited options for characters, denying Ridley has a good shot at being playable is straight up stupid now.

All of the potential Brawl newcomer heavyweight characters in terms of popularity and support are all playable in Brawl... except Ridley (and Mega Man, but that's a 3rd party character). Diddy Kong, Toon Link, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Lucario, Lucas, Ike, Pit, Wario, Sonic, etc.
I didn't think about that but yeah, he would be just about the only new heavy weight. Well him and K Rool of course.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I came up with a moveset for Duck Hunt Dog. There's one move that was inspired by Wolf Link's basic attacks since they are both canines. There's like a couple moves loosely inspired by Banjo-Kazooie's Rat-a-Tat-Rap and Beak Barge involving the duck. The rest are made up and the most of the specials were based on how we played Duck Hunt.

[COLLAPSE="Normal Moves"]A+A+A
The dog bites two times and then chases his tail around once.

Side+A
The dog grabs a duck by its neck and swings it around like a rubber chicken.

Up+A
The dog tosses a duck up in the air. The duck spins in place and pecks enemies around.

Down+A
The dog crouches and scratches in front of him. This move can cause the opponent to trip.

Running A
The dog runs on all fours. The duck lunges over the dog's head and pecks repeatedly.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Smash Moves"]Smash Side+A
The dog points his finger to the side, directing the hunter, the person playing Duck Hunt with the Zapper, to shoot there. The gunfire explosion appears just beyond the tip of the dog's finger.

Smash Up+A
The dog points his finger above his head, directing the hunter to shoot there. The hunter from the fourth wall shoots just above the tip of the dog's finger.

Smash Down+A
The dog points his finger down at the opponent's feet, goading the Duck Hunt player to "make them dance". Gunfire explosions appear on the ground just beyond the dog's finger.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Aerial Moves"]Air A
The dog tosses a duck in the air. The duck quickly flies around the dog, pecking nearby enemies.

Air Forward+A
The duck lunges out over the dog's back and pecks repeatedly.

Air Back+A
The dog does a quick back flip and as the dog is turning upside down, a duck quickly lunges out to peck. This one is useful as a Meteor Smash.

Air Up+A
The dog holds onto two ducks by their feet. The ducks flap wildly, attacking nearby enemies with their wings.

Air Down+A
This is a stall-then-fall move where the dog pounces on an opponent and they fall down to the ground together with the dog on top.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Throws"]Grab
The dog uses his chain leash to reel in an opponent. The leash can also be used as a tether recovery if needed.

Pummel
The dog holds the opponent by their necks and bites them in the face.

Forward Throw
The dog bites the opponent and shakes his head like the opponent is a rag toy and then tosses them away.

Back Throw
The dog uses his chain leash to whip the opponent overhead behind him.

Up Throw
The dog gives the opponent a heave-ho and then two ducks carry the opponent before the duck hunter shoots the opponent down.

Down Throw
The dog pounces and then mauls the opponent.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Special Moves"]B: Trick Shooting
This is based on how the second player is able to control the duck with the NES controller plugged into the P2 controller port. The dog pulls out a duck and the duck begins flying. As long as you hold down the B button, you retain control of the duck's flight path with the control stick but the dog is immobile during the flight. When you want the Duck Hunt player to shoot down the duck, simply release the B button. This move is useful for shooting out-of-reach enemies above or below solid platforms - for example, the dog is on the bottom side of Spear Pillar and Pikachu is on the top side of said stage. Guiding a duck from the bottom side to the top side and releasing the B button near Pikachu would hurt Pikachu when it is caught in a powerful gunfire explosion. Very tricky, indeed.

Side+B: Clay Shooting
This is based on the Clay Shooting mode in Duck Hunt. The dog tosses a clay pigeon like the magician and the bunny girl did in Barker Bill's Trick Shooting. You can control the trajectory of the clay pigeon with the control stick. The person who is playing Duck Hunt from the fourth wall shoots the clay pigeon when it collides with an opponent. This is a simple projectile attack with excellent range and decent knockback.

Up+B: Fly Away
The dog pulls out two ducks and hangs on to their feet. The three of them then fly away together. When the dog is flying with two ducks, his flight is speedy and lasts longer. When the dog gets hit while flying with two ducks, he loses one duck. When the dog is flying with only one duck, his flight is slower and lasts shorter. When the dog gets hit while flying with one duck, he loses it and he is unable to fly again until he lands on the ground. When the dog is flying, you can control the flight path with the control stick.

Down+B: Laugh
Many people always wanted to shoot the dog for laughing at them. How is this translated into a Smash move? First, the dog faces the screen and laughs when you press Down+B. As soon the dog laughs, the hunter from the fourth wall immediately shoots the dog. Now, what makes this move a high-risk, high-reward move is that if the dog is overlapping with an opponent when he is laughing... that opponent suffers an one-hit KO because the duck hunter shot that character instead of the dog. If the dog is not overlapping with an opponent and he is laughing... well, he suffers 10% damage and gets stunned for a second. This technique is not recommended for beginners.

Final Smash: Open Season
This move lets you play as the person who is playing Duck Hunt. You are given three shots, just like in the original game, and each shot can one-hit KO enemies if your aim is good. The NES Zapper appears out in front of the screen along with the crosshairs that you control with the control stick. Press the B button when you want to shoot your opponent. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. Dozens of ducks are flying back and forth all over the stage, making it difficult for you to aim at the enemies. If an opponent is shot, the dog appears out from the grass holding that opponent. If you failed to shoot an opponent, the dog laughs at you when the Final Smash ends and then you retain control of the dog.[/COLLAPSE]

There's also this video where the people who worked on a fan-game called Super Smash Bros. Crusade and they actually put in Duck Hunt Dog as a playable character.
you know, i always assumed that the ducks were dead :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm neutral towards Duck Hunt Dog actually, but I would prefer retros as Takamaru, Mach Rider and Muddy Mole. Even though I didn't play any of the games these characters are in, I just see more potential in the other 3 personally.

:phone:

grizby2

Smash Lord
OFF TOPIC ALERT
i had this dream that i was in disney land, and inside one of the restaurants was sakurai playing ssbb with what looked like a businessman, and two smash fans. the businessman kept reading off papers to sakurai and the two smash fans were playing a match of brawl (3 meta knights vs one yoshi). sakurai was looking at the wii with a really disgruntled look on his face. he kept shaking his head to everyone and then started cursing at the TV screen. he then plopped on his chair in dissapointment and looked at the window, and he saw me. but then he took more interest in me. his eyes widened, it was as if his face was saying "hey! i know that person!" but i turned away and started walking off really fast..
why did i walk off? ....
sorry, had to post this for some reason :urg:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nobody is sure. The next time that happens just don't do the same thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
you know, i always assumed that the ducks were dead :awesome:
Pretend they are zombie ducks. :awesome:

I'm neutral towards Duck Hunt Dog actually, but I would prefer retros as Takamaru, Mach Rider and Muddy Mole. Even though I didn't play any of the games these characters are in, I just see more potential in the other 3 personally.

And this is precisely why Duck Hunt Dog has an uphill battle for support. Same with characters like Toad. People tend to flock to characters who were shown to be capable to fighting or those who were shown to be very powerful.

Yeah, unless this guys shows up.
[COLLAPSE="spoiler"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Yes! I would love King Hippo in Smash! He is like my favorite Punch-Out!! villain. It also helps that Nintendo does seem to favor him over the other boxers. Nintendo used King Hippo's image to promote Punch-Out!! Wii with the Heavyweight Contender Kit. See this video? I think he just might be one of the most recognized characters from Punch-Out!! because of his role on the Captain N cartoon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well only Takamaru REALLY stands out to me from all the retros to me, but yeah I do see some more potential in Mach and Muddy to, but they are just a little bit better than Duck Hunt Dog imo.

Captain N is strictly American though. Not that I'm against King Hippo, I'd like him in actually, but Captain N really cannot be used as an argument imo.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I am sorry guys, but Ridley is too big to be playable. Size him down a bit you say? Well, that doesn't make any sense, since he has already been in a smash game as a boss. I don't think Sakurai will make him a playable when he has been a boss already... Bowser was "small" when he was first introduced to smash, but that is obviously not the case with Ridley. You have to be consistent when you make a series of games.

Nevertheless, Ridley is an awesome character that could be implemented in the game somehow, but not as a playable character...

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Speaking of captain...Captain Rainbow for Smash!! He has such a diverse moveset, and even if he's not playable, he'll either be an AT or a trophy.

Also, shut up, Ove.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I, too, would like to see Ridley as a playable character. He is a colossal, brute beast that has always fascinating me when playing Metroid. However, the chance of seeing him as playable isn't realistic. But just as you, I hope to my heart's content that we one day can do crazy combos as Ridley.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well only Takamaru REALLY stands out to me from all the retros to me, but yeah I do see some more potential in Mach and Muddy to, but they are just a little bit better than Duck Hunt Dog imo.

Captain N is strictly American though. Not that I'm against King Hippo, I'd like him in actually, but Captain N really cannot be used as an argument imo.

What I meant is that Captain N helped make King Hippo more popular than most of the boxers who aren't named Little Mac. I dare say Little Mac and King Hippo stand out the most in the collective mind of mainstream gamers (the casual players as we call them). Nintendo even reinforced that view with the Heavyweight Contender Kit. So, despite Captain N being 100% American, it still contributed to King Hippo's overall popularity.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Speaking of captain...Captain Rainbow for Smash!! He has such a diverse moveset, and even if he's not playable, he'll either be an AT or a trophy.

Also, shut up, Ove.
Captain Rainbow and Captain N in Smash would be epic. :awesome:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I am sorry guys, but Ridley is too big to be playable. Size him down a bit you say? Well, that doesn't make any sense, since he has already been in a smash game as a boss. I don't think Sakurai will make him a playable when he has been a boss already... Bowser was "small" when he was first introduced to smash, but that is obviously not the case with Ridley. You have to be consistent when you make a series of games.

Nevertheless, Ridley is an awesome character that could be implemented in the game somehow, but not as a playable character...
wtf :facepalm:

So being a boss means he can't be playable?

Also, KRAID is too big for Smash. Not ****ing Ridley. Have you not seen Ridley in the Melee intro?

Also, shut up, Ove.
Hey, that's my line

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It can be quite annoying when people are still complaining about Ridley's size. We have all the proof that Ridley can easily be resized, especially when you refer to Bowser's size alternations.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Wasn't that the Fake Kraid though? I haven't played the NES Metroid, in like, ages

Anyway, I wonder if people were saying equally stupid **** about other characters pre-Brawl

"WHOA SLOW YOUR ROLL THERE BUDDY CHARIZARD WAS A POKEBALL POKEMON IN MELEE SO HE CAN'T GET IN SORRY"

"OLIMAR IS TOO SMALL LAST TIME I CHECKED QUARTERS CAN'T BE PLAYABLE IN SMASH AHURRRRR"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wasn't that the Fake Kraid though? I haven't played the NES Metroid, in like, ages

Anyway, I wonder if people were saying equally stupid **** about other characters pre-Brawl.

"WHOA SLOW YOUR ROLL THERE BUDDY CHARIZARD WAS A POKEBALL POKEMON IN MELEE SO HE CAN'T GET IN SORRY"

"OLIMAR IS TOO SMALL LAST TIME I CHECKED QUARTERS CAN'T BE PLAYABLE IN SMASH AHURRRRR"
OMG! I remember this stupid one! "WINDWAKER LINK CAN'T BE PLAYABLE. HIS CEL-SHADED GRAPHICS WILL CLASH WITH LINK AND ZELDA'S REALISTIC GRAPHICS!!"

Don't forget other equally stupid arguments like "X wasn't a trophy or an Assist Trophy in Brawl so X can't be in SSB4 because Sakurai doesn't know X exists." :mad: And "X wasn't playable in 64/Melee/Brawl so why would X get in SSB4 NOW?" :(

And I played Metroid on my 3DS. Being an Ambassador is fun. :awesome:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I love hating on Ridley haters. My teenage mind is full of evil things.:evil: But, I thought up a moveset for Meowth while biking in the rain this morning:
B: Pay Day: Same as the Pokeball.
Side B: Fury Swipes: Meowth does a claw combo much like Marth's, except with more knockback.
Up B: Pursuit: This does one of two things:
  1. If ther's no one near the ledge, he just does a third jump.
  2. If there is someone near the ledge, he attracts himself to them.
Down B: Iron Tail: Swipes a hard tail around 360 degrees.
Still haven't figured out a final smash...

Also, I just noticed something... Pikachu and Jigglypuff were popular in the anime, Mewtwo and Lucario were in a movie, and the only charcters who weren't popular in either of those are Pichu and Red. Add in someone who isn't a movie or show tie, please...
Like, Blaziken or Scizor. C'mon, people.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Ove, you DO realize that in the NES Metroid, Ridley was barely bigger than Samus, right? He can be downsized like that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Also, I just noticed something... Pikachu and Jigglypuff were popular in the anime, Mewtwo and Lucario were in a movie, and the only charcters who weren't popular in either of those are Pichu and Red. Add in someone who isn't a movie or show tie, please...
Like, Blaziken or Scizor. C'mon, people.
You are just noticing that now? This is why I have always been supporting Meowth for over 10 years. I want either Meowth alone or Meowth paired with Arbok and Weezing with Jessie and James in the background taking turns summoning and calling back Arbok and Weezing. Like this:

:052: & :024: <= Down+B => :052: & :110:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Calm down, guys, I am not a troll. Resizing is a bit sensitive, imo. Like I said before, you have to be consistent when you make a series of games. You can not just resize everyone however you want to from game to game.

Yes, I am aware of that Ridley is small on the NES and yes, I have seen the melee intro. However, I did not say that just because Ridley is a boss, he can not be playable. The thing is, in his "real" debut (I don't consider the intro in melee as a debut, actually), Ridley was a big boss with a tremendous size. If Sakurai want to be consistent, do you really think he would resize Ridley from a big boss to a more reasonable sized playable character? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

Regarding Bowser: he has NEVER been resized in smash! He is relatively small in some games and huge in some, but he has had approximately the same size in both the smash games he has appeared in. The same principle can be applied to Olimar, Charizard and the other characters. Their sizes in their respecitve games make it impossible for them to battle each other in the same game, therefore they have been resized so that they can be adapted to the smash formula. But Ridley has already been in the game, and he was too big to be playable.

Yes, Sakurai COULD resize Ridley, but that would not be a logical action to do, if he wants to stay consistent.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Oh my god. Your argument destoryed itself already?

Constant sizes right? Please tell me if the sizes are constant from 64 to Melee to Brawl.

Back to shuffling.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I would say that the sizes have been constant from 64 to Brawl, yes. You have to take some minor changes into account, of course. Charizard in the pokéball from 64 is almost as big as the playable one in Brawl.

Please let me know if there are some size changes that can be compared to Brawl-Ridley and Smash 4-Ridley.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'll say it again. I Hope Retro IS NOT working on a new Star Fox game. That would be such a waste of their talent. Look I like the Star Fox series, but Retro deserves a better project, and judging by the artists they have been hiring I doubt these Star Fox rumors are even true.

Star Fox and F-Zero need to be handled by companies other than Retro.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Starphoenix, do you think Retro wouldn't do Star Fox justice? Or do you think Retro is too good for Star Fox? :c

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Starphoenix, do you think Retro wouldn't do Star Fox justice? Or do you think Retro is too good for Star Fox? :c

I think Retro is too good for Star Fox. I don't want to see them wasting all of their resources to make an eight or ten chapter game that can be blown through in twenty-five minutes.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'll say it again. I Hope Retro IS NOT working on a new Star Fox game. That would be such a waste of their talent. Look I like the Star Fox series, but Retro deserves a better project, and judging by the artists they have been hiring I doubt these Star Fox rumors are even true.

Star Fox and F-Zero need to be handled by companies other than Retro.
Forget that. Retro makes great games and breaths life into games Nintendo wont touch. I think it's awesome, plus we'll have a new Starfox game.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Ove... just stop, please. You are really overthinking this, like seriously

And although I would still like them to do a new Star Fox, I'd rather see them try new things. They've already done Metroid and Donkey Kong; I think Retro has much more potential than just being the go-to guys whenever one of Nintendo's franchises need reviving

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Forget that. Retro makes great games and breaths life into games Nintendo wont touch. I think it's awesome, plus we'll have a new Starfox game.
Two different companies have tried that already, and it did not work out. I doubt Retro can introduce anything that has not already been done before. At least with F-Zero there are many different things that can be done for multiplayer; and they have a little bit of experience in track design.

Out of all the games Retro can develop the one that will really tick me off the most is a new Star Fox. I would not be surprised if Nintendo loses even more artists because of it, hypothetically speaking. Besides, other people I tend to trust more have Retro working on some type of action/adventure game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fair enough, Star.

Off topic: I am considering picking up Star Fox 64 3D. Should I? Or do I just pick up Star Fox 64 for Wii Virtual Console instead? I only played the SNES game at my friend's house 19 years ago.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I haven't played Star Fox 64 3D yet, only the original version, so I personally could only recommend to you the Virtual Console version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom