• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah right. L-Canceling is one example for what NOT to do in a fighting game - making something hard for the sake of being hard.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah definitely, which is why I think we'll get a new third party character revealed with the first trailer, I just meant comparing Nintendo character popularity to other Nintendo characters. I realize that someone like Megaman would bring more hype than any Nintendo character would.
I think a character other than Mega Man would be best to 1st reveal from a business standpoint. Pac-Man would be the best choice for that. From a fan standpoint, I want Mega Man 1st so I can go back to hyping Ridley! And if I get both characters confirmed/unconfirmed early on, I'ma gonna hype up Dixie Kong and King K. Rool! :laugh:
If nothing else, it just makes me want some more new Nintendo IPs (I'm greedy like that :laugh:)
Arc posted a list of Nintendo series/IPs, and there are quite a few... like Dillon's Rolling Western.

Thino

Smash Master
The game having fewer characters isn't a problem. It's a new game. It should have many.

The real problem is no one meshes well together. Parappa and Fat Princess don't go well next to Sweat Tooth and Kratos. They are very different in their look and their style.

Snake worked because Sakurai is good at what he does, but even then they had to be careful. Snake was an exercise in fitting a square peg in a round hole. There were many problems. First, he couldn't use guns, so that already killed some of his options for moves. Then, as development was going on, there were a problem with some of his moves. They had to change the claymore from the realistic look to a white mine with a light on top. They also had to change his grab, but it's hard to find stuff on that. You know how he has these invisable hit boxes. Look at his moves. They are very shot ranged. Most characters get around this by extending parts of their body. It works for them because they aare cartoony and fantasy like. But Snake is very realistic. He can't extend his arms. So that why he has the hitboxes. If it was the other way around, without the disjointed hitboxes, he would have a VERY short range.

This is just one problem. It's also why Sakurai keeps a cap on third party characters. Nintendo has a set style and most of the games they make and publish fit in well. I could take Issac and Saki, who come from people outside of Nintendo, and they would still fit with Mario and Pikachu. But Sony All Stars has most of their cast being very different. And they don't have Sakurai. The man is more experienced and has done this longer (Smash I mean). It's also why Nintendo would not move forward with the series without him. I doubt this start up will be able to do it.

How would "casuals," not care. Being able to see what is attacking you is important. The models here are just too small. It wont be fun if I can't see the guys attacking each other.

Compare it to Smash Brothers.
Notice how I can kind of see everything. I know when to block and how someone hit me. And yes, casuals care about that too.

See it for yourself.

Look how far it stays zoomed. Smash brothers gets really close when characters are next to each other.
Well Nintendo has that advantage that ALL of the characters have cartoony look, I'm conscious that at this point it might be down to personal feelings but I'm not sure how having non-cartoony looking characters being mixed up with cartoony ones would make the game unattractive, granted the hitboxes are gonna be more strict, or maybe disjointed like Snake's are.

In addition with Sony not having the same restriction as Sakurai did with Snake, depending which ESRB rating they're aiming for for this game.

The Brawl vids you've showed me comfort me in my position: the actual zoom in limit and character sizes differences might be more of a matter of resolution.

That is coming from someone who played PS3 games on a small TV first, and switched to a big screen screen afterward: the games are pretty much adjusted when playing a lower resolution, which is what I want to see before judging actually how much you can see or not.

Casuals do care about it, but not to the point to see promotional videos and say "this game will suck because I can't see fists, so I will not buy it"

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just realized how badass it would be if we got Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Solid Snake AND Classic Mega Man all in the same game

Though I think Classic Mega Man is the only third party character that we're gonna get
It would be so awesome if we got Pac-Man, classic Mega Man, Tails, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont in Smash (along with everyone already in smash). Those are the 3rd party characters I want. Getting any of them would be off the charts AWESOME! :bee:
Yeah right. L-Canceling is one example for what NOT to do in a fighting game - making something hard for the sake of being hard.
It's not that hard, and it actually adds a little bit more to Melee than you think. It requires the player to time properly of when to push the button, especially against characters like the Ice Climbers and various attacks that can throw off the timing of L-cancelling.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If SSB4 really needs another 3rd serie character,this character must be Crash Bandicoot.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ Nah, Mega Man is more well-known, his series sells better, his recent games have been better than Crash's, and he would generate more earnings and hype than Crash would.

Plus Crash really hasn't been relevant since the 90's... :facepalm:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
^ Nah, Mega Man is more well-known, his series sells better, his recent games have been better than Crash's, and he would generate more earnings and hype than Crash would.

Plus Crash really hasn't been relevant since the 90's... :facepalm:
wrong.

All his games until 2005 was relevant.

EDIT:I´ve double posted again? ._.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Lol, how did I forget Snake? I was just listening to some MGS music earlier, too

Simon Belmont? Yes plz, even though I only played Castlevania 4
Pac-Man? Hell yeah, just make sure it's the classic version and not the creepy version from SFxT
Bomberman? Yes, Bomberman 64 was pretty boss, IMO
Tails? Even though I'd prefer Knuckles, yeah, especially if his FS involves his Tornado or turning into Super Tails with the Super Flickies

I never liked Crash much honestly

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
wrong.

All of Crash's games until 2006 was relevant.
I can't think of any game after Crash 3, except for maybe Crash Racing. I think the same goes for the general public.
Simon Belmont? Yes plz, even though I only played Castlevania 4 The DS Castlevania games and the NES/SNES ones are great!
Pac-Man? Hell yeah, just make sure it's the classic version and not the creepy version from SFxT I don't mind the mecha as a final smash or move.
Bomberman? Yes, Bomberman 64 was pretty boss, IMO I don't remember the name of it, but I love the Bomberman game on the Super Nintendo.
Tails? Even though I'd prefer Knuckles, yeah, especially if his FS involves his Tornado or turning into Super Tails with the Super Flickies
Meah, I picked Tails over Knuckles, because unlike Knuckles, Tails has a decent shot at being playable. Super Tails (and maybe a mecha) would be great Final Smash attacks! :cool:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I think even if Sonic the Hedgehog were a Nintendo series, it would have taken 3 Smash games for Knuckles to get in. lol

Wait, Crash Racing? You mean Crash Nitro Kart? Lol, that game almost made me stop liking racing games. That **** was horrible :laugh:

I think Pac-Man should draw upon his moves from the Pac-Man World games

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I just came up with something for Kirby (Why didn't they still implement this?)

Why can't he like inhale the projectiles he's shot at in Smash and spit them out as stars, like in his games?

And I really wish to see Crash in PASBR.

:phone:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
There was 3 crash racing games,
Crash team racing, Crash Nitro Kart, and Crash Tag Team Racing.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think even if Sonic the Hedgehog were a Nintendo series, it would have taken 3 Smash games for Knuckles to get in. lol
I think in Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Smash Wii U, and Smash 3DS we'd have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and maybe Eggman/Robotnik, Shadow, or (the dark horse) Metal Sonic.
Wait, Crash Racing? You mean Crash Nitro Kart? Lol, that game almost made me stop liking racing games. That **** was horrible :laugh:
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was fun, butwasn't anything special. I think there were multiple Crash racing games! :laugh:
I think Pac-Man should draw upon his moves from the Pac-Man World
I think Pac-Man World, Pac-Man arcade games, and maybe a few moves from other sources, as well as some made up ones (like punches and kicks).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I can't think of any game after Crash 3, except for maybe Crash Racing. I think the same goes for the general public.
Have you never played Crash Twinsanity?

Oh and sorry,its until 2005,not 2006,I will edit.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Luk
Yes I played Crash Twin Sanity or whatever. I already forgot about it (just like Star Fox Assault). :troll: I also once bought a Gameboy Advance Crash game for the GBA for like $3 at Game Stop. Boy that game was really lacking in quality...

Edit: These meme drawing faces/people/pictures need to die. It's been old for years, but now it's just stupid.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Crash GBA games really was not that good,but If you play one from Ps1,you will like it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, Crash 1-3 were the only games worth mentioning. The rest were merely average. That's what I meant when I said Crash hasn't been relevant since the 90's. Literally nobody knows about Crash these days because the quality of his games have gone way down, the developers/producers of his games have changed several times, and the series is very stagnant. It can't decide what it is anymore. Is it stuck in the past, moving forward, or in between=??? Does it even want to be relevant=???

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Speaking of Metal Sonic (mah favorite Sonic character other than Knuckles), I know I said I didn't like the idea of him being an alt before, but when I thought about it, the only time where he was playable and wasn't just a Sonic reskin was I think SA2. In SADX, he was, and in Episode Metal, it's looking like he'll be just a reskinned Sonic, as well. So I don't mind him being an alt for Sonic in Smash 4. I still want them to change the sound effects to be more robotic, at least, if he were to be a skin for Sonic

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Speaking of Metal Sonic (mah favorite Sonic character other than Knuckles), I know I said I didn't like the idea of him being an alt before, but when I thought about it, the only time where he was playable and wasn't just a Sonic reskin was I think SA2. In SADX, he was, and in Episode Metal, it's looking like he'll be just a reskinned Sonic, as well. So I don't mind him being an alt for Sonic in Smash 4. I still want them to change the sound effects to be more robotic, at least, if he were to be a skin for Sonic
Metal Sonic really can be a cool boss for the story mode.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh hai there Tri-Hy

Was just wondering if you had a moveset or anything for Mewtwo
??? I wasn't even logged on, in fact I was out driving my car on the other side of town.

I don't have a moveset, but I do have this:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I agree, Lukin but I want Eggman as an Adventure Mode before mah boi Metal, and I doubt that they'll put in two Sonic bosses

And Tri-Hy, I thought I saw you in the "Active Users Viewing Thread" a little while ago lol

Wait, what idea Horsetail?

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Not sure if this was discussed, but we may be getting a new character driven IP from Nintendo soon.

If this character/franchise is any good it would be nice if he/she is already being planned to be in Smash4.

"I don't have a big list of ideas I want to realise," he replies. "I usually come up with new ideas while I am working on other games. That said, there's a strong possibility we will introduce some new characters to the scene soon."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/apr/27/shigeru-miyamoto-rushed-game-forever-bad?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Giving Kirby's Inhale-move an ability to inhale projectiles in Smash and spit them out as stars, like in his games.

I really wish we'd get that function, it would feel SO HOME on Kirby.

RomanceDawn: Yani Ninja'd you.

Like, YaNinja'd you, get it?
:troll:

:phone:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well Nintendo has that advantage that ALL of the characters have cartoony look, I'm conscious that at this point it might be down to personal feelings but I'm not sure how having non-cartoony looking characters being mixed up with cartoony ones would make the game unattractive, granted the hitboxes are gonna be more strict, or maybe disjointed like Snake's are.

In addition with Sony not having the same restriction as Sakurai did with Snake, depending which ESRB rating they're aiming for for this game.
Yeah, because Nintendo characters fit a similar style. It would also be true of Sega and Capcom. Sony never had a style because their properties might as well have been made by separate third parties. This is why a cross over game with them doesn't work. The thing about Snake applies here becasue they can't get the characters to work together in a sort of harmony. They all clash. Unless they have someone on the team like Sakurai (which they don't) it wont work.

The Brawl vids you've showed me comfort me in my position: the actual zoom in limit and character sizes differences might be more of a matter of resolution.

That is coming from someone who played PS3 games on a small TV first, and switched to a big screen screen afterward: the games are pretty much adjusted when playing a lower resolution, which is what I want to see before judging actually how much you can see or not.
It has nothing to do with resolution. Play the videos side by side. The characters a much smaller in Sony: All Stars and the stages are comparability bigger. If you need more proof, check out TMNT Smash Up. Notice how it's a lot easier to see what's going on even when the screen zones out. It may look better when they get close, but the character models are so small that it will still be hard to tell what's going on.

Casuals do care about it, but not to the point to see promotional videos and say "this game will suck because I can't see fists, so I will not buy it"
Your trying to clump these "casuals" into a special box. They ccare about something like that as much as anyone.

It's not about seeing fist, it's about seeing what going on. Sakurai mentioned he tried to have the characters move differently for all the different moves so players can tell what move a character is doing. If I can barely see them, how can I tell what to do?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Don't you know those dumb casuals will eat anything up, Chu. Just toss them some gimmicky bone. The competitive crowd is the REAL audience.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Metal: You need to refresh your page more often. :p

@Oasis: You're just jealous of my ride.