• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Impa is not too unpopular. Lots of people who are not me are suggesting her to. I see her getting quite some mentions every time Zelda characters are discussed. Surely there are lots of people who want to keep Sheik, but that's only cause they want no cuts in general. Sheik is rarely defended much, unlike most veterans and she's the only non retro character who's in game role is extremely minor overall.

Sheik wasn't too popular either. It was Ganondorf who was massively popular pre-Melee. Zelda, Sheik and Young Link where all requested just as much on the Melee Sakurai's Poll. And most likely people would suggest Sheik togheter with Zelda as a duo fighter. Dont get me wrong, I loved the idea for Melee! But it's now outdated both in Smash and as a representation for Zelda.

@ ^ : It's pretty damn sexy indeed. But this is sexier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWX2eDMyRBw :awesome: (Even though Impa gets killed :( )

@ Luke: now your doing it right boooooyyyy :denzel:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't think Impa and her role (We're talking about SS right?) or if Zelda fans like her or not is the issue at hand, but that the Zelda series doesn't really have any notable characters left that can really represent it outside of what it already has.

Personally I like this quote from you know who:

Regarding Recent Characters: At this time I'd like to mention that being new in a series with a static cast (all series except the RPGs) is actually a bad thing for inclusion. Every single playable character from a static cast is either

A) about as old as the series itself, or
B) a variation on an existing character (Sheik/ZSS/kid Links)

I do believe there are potential exceptions to this trend, but since none of them are Zelda characters, I'd rather not discuss them too deeply here.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, Impa is not too unpopular. Lots of people who are not me are suggesting her to. I see her getting quite some mentions every time Zelda characters are discussed. Surely there are lots of people who want to keep Sheik, but that's only cause they want no cuts in general. Sheik is rarely defended much, unlike most veterans and she's the only non retro character who's in game role is extremely minor overall.

Sheik wasn't too popular either. It was Ganondorf who was massively popular pre-Melee. Zelda, Sheik and Young Link where all requested just as much on the Melee Sakurai's Poll. And most likely people would suggest Sheik togheter with Zelda as a duo fighter. Dont get me wrong, I loved the idea for Melee! But it's now outdated both in Smash and as a representation for Zelda.
True, Impa has increased in popularity since SS's release (I thought she was pretty awesome in SS), but even the cries to have Impa in smash aren't matched by those that would rather Sheik stay in the game, and would be quite vocal if she was cut (which I personally would have no problem with).

I also agree that pre-Melee, I would not have expected nor supported Sheik's inclusion (compared to Ganondorf, and just overall), but now that's she's been in two games, her popularity far outmatches any Zelda character that has not been yet playable in Smash. (except maybe Tingle in Japan, but that's another issue).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for Impa replacing Sheik (I personally like her more), I just feel that at this point in time in the Smash series, it's probably not going to happen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think Impa and her role (We're talking about SS right?) or if Zelda fans like her or not is the issue at hand, but that the Zelda series doesn't really have any notable characters left that can really represent it outside of what it already has.
It's true that none will match the level that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf (and Toon Link) are at, but I think that of the rest of the zelda characters, Impa and Tingle are the most important. (not that either will probably get in).

Plus I'd rather see Ghirahim (but that's just personal preference -- I'd rather see Skull Kid even more, lol)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Personally I like this quote from you know who:
Wait, you are saying Sakurai said this? When and where? D: Wut?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If it was Sakurai who said that, I'd be very interested in knowing what he thought the exceptions are (although I guess we might find out with SSB4).

Plus it doesn't really go into much detail about why being new in a series with a predominantly static cast is a bad thing.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Wait... *reads again* Ha yeah, it actually doesn't. It just says so, and then talks about a static cast. Is he implying that being a new character in a cast that is old and reoccurring as hell means you don't fit in?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wait, you are saying Sakurai said this? When and where? D: Wut?
Toise obviously. :p

I felt it was easier to post that, rather than come up with something explaining common sense/characters you think of when you think of X series. I'm bad with words as anyone will know who have seen a few of my posts.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
True, Impa has increased in popularity since SS's release (I thought she was pretty awesome in SS), but even the cries to have Impa in smash aren't matched by those that would rather Sheik stay in the game, and would be quite vocal if she was cut (which I personally would have no problem with).

I also agree that pre-Melee, I would not have expected nor supported Sheik's inclusion (compared to Ganondorf, and just overall), but now that's she's been in two games, her popularity far outmatches any Zelda character that has not been yet playable in Smash. (except maybe Tingle in Japan, but that's another issue).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for Impa replacing Sheik (I personally like her more), I just feel that at this point in time in the Smash series, it's probably not going to happen.
Could be, but I personally don't think Sheik should really count as a whole character actually. Surely she has a whole functioning moveset, and there's not really much needed indeed anymore for Zelda newcomers but if Sheik has so little importance, and Impa appears on the place where Sheik should've (Sheik was planned to be in TP, but got scrapped, SS was the next major console release, get me?) and since she has been around forever... I think it's a reasonable idea to have Impa be in as the separate Sheik to keep the playstyle in designed with Sheik (not whole moveset, but borrowing a few moves still) as to actually have a worthy Zelda newcomer that way. Unless you'd count revamped Ganondorf.

Anyways, I like opening up people to the possibility. Many people here know that. :embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Toise obviously? XD Well, I have only seen him say two things since my time here, so I wouldn't really know. The way it was being worded wasn't like Sakurai, yet it as speaking with such Gnosticism like Sakurai obviously would because he is making the game. At any rate, I'm not entirely sure I understand his point.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The way I see it is that Mario and Zelda are NEEDING a new comer character this time, as they didn't have one (really) in Brawl. Mario even got a character cut lol. Hence why we need both the princess' loyal guardians! :awesome:

Toad and Impa lol

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL.... it would be interesting to see Toad, Impa, and Pit teaming up to rescue Peach, Zelda, and Palutena in the Adventure Mode. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Someone got the right idea! :awesome:

Anyways. A newcomer for both Mario and Zelda opens up the possibility for having 2 newcomers for Donkey Kong so... :D

I'm such a sheming *******

yani

Smash Lord
Someone got the right idea! :awesome:

Anyways. A newcomer for both Mario and Zelda opens up the possibility for having 2 newcomers for Donkey Kong so... :D

I'm such a sheming *******
I'm starting to think two DK newcomers might fill the void for a new "Mario" newcomer, and Tingle getting his own series will take on the role for a "Zelda" newcomer. Just a hunch.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Could be, but I personally don't think Sheik should really count as a whole character actually. Surely she has a whole functioning moveset, and there's not really much needed indeed anymore for Zelda newcomers but if Sheik has so little importance, and Impa appears on the place where Sheik should've (Sheik was planned to be in TP, but got scrapped, SS was the next major console release, get me?) and since she has been around forever... I think it's a reasonable idea to have Impa be in as the separate Sheik to keep the playstyle in designed with Sheik (not whole moveset, but borrowing a few moves still) as to actually have a worthy Zelda newcomer that way. Unless you'd count revamped Ganondorf.

Anyways, I like opening up people to the possibility. Many people here know that. :embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass:
I agree with you that Impa would work just as well as Sheik would in Smash, if not better, and I think that if SS was released before Melee, we would be seeing Zelda and Impa instead of Zelda and Sheik, but I think the main thing keeping Sheik in over Impa is her popularity derived from her previous Smash appearances, and her position as a Smash veteran. I think this is not the best way for characters to be accepted into Smash (other factors should play a part too), but I think the thing that will keep bringing Sheik back over Impa is her popularity. Which is sort of unfair, as it is a bit of a repeating circle: she gets in Smash because of her popularity, but most of her popularity came from being in Smash.

I think it's totally fair to want to see Impa more (which I do also), but between the mix of her popularity, plus the fact that she's seen as not just a whole character but also as a part of Zelda (which Impa wouldn't be seen as), this pretty much solidifies her place to return.

I'd still like to know why being a new character in a mostly static series is a bad thing. And who Toise's exceptions are.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Toise obviously? XD Well, I have only seen him say two things since my time here, so I wouldn't really know. The way it was being worded wasn't like Sakurai, yet it as speaking with such Gnosticism like Sakurai obviously would because he is making the game. At any rate, I'm not entirely sure I understand his point.
No one ever does at first. XD

It makes perfect sense to me, so I think you may need more experience with the thread to understand. See the trends of arguments and whatnot.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Mario doesn't need a newcomer IMO. Toad would be the best choice even though I don't think he would be an interesting character. but it doesn't seem like there is any specific character in the series that would be unique from the rest of the cast.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, I think the Big 3 should all increase by one rep, but since Pokemon received two last time with two cuts, I think they need to just retract the more popular cut. Besides, Mewtwo beats out any newcomer, it's almost pretty much accepted unanimously.

And nice avatar Yani. :D

Triple hyphen, just explain, I know you can do it. XD It's not like I just wouldn't understand. >_<

Mario doesn't need a newcomer IMO. Toad would be the best choice even though I don't think he would be an interesting character. but it doesn't seem like there is any specific character in the series that would be unique from the rest of the cast.
[COLLAPSE="Look here. >_>"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree with you that Impa would work just as well as Sheik would in Smash, if not better, and I think that if SS was released before Melee, we would be seeing Zelda and Impa instead of Zelda and Sheik, but I think the main thing keeping Sheik in over Impa is her popularity derived from her previous Smash appearances, and her position as a Smash veteran. I think this is not the best way for characters to be accepted into Smash (other factors should play a part too), but I think the thing that will keep bringing Sheik back over Impa is her popularity. Which is sort of unfair, as it is a bit of a repeating circle: she gets in Smash because of her popularity, but most of her popularity came from being in Smash.

I think it's totally fair to want to see Impa more (which I do also), but between the mix of her popularity, plus the fact that she's seen as not just a whole character but also as a part of Zelda (which Impa wouldn't be seen as), this pretty much solidifies her place to return.

I'd still like to know why being a new character in a mostly static series is a bad thing. And who Toise's exceptions are.
Well, let's just say I hope this is not the case. And if it is, meaning: Sheik returns, I hope then AT LEAST she also will make a return in a Zelda game soon afterwards. But here's hoping for Impa, as I think Sheik's Brawl inclusion was still a lucky one with the scrapped Twilight Princess design for her.

What I do think is that she'll likely will return on the 3DS version, and if that's true then she'd of coarse be transferable to the Wii U version from it, so in the end she wouldn't be cut. Impa would still be there on the Wii U version though.

And your right with the repeating circle. People want her in Smash now, cause she was in Smash before. But personally I'd be about as excited to see her return in Smash as I would for Dr.Mario. :/ Not really much.

Paper Mario would still be awesome though, though I kinda doubt he'll make it. I'd take him over Doc any day of the week, and any second of the year. :o

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
[glow]Lol paper mario. I don't see how anyone could want him when we already have Mario.[/glow]
But... they're different.

More different than Dr. Mario is to Mario. More so than Young Link/Majora's Mask Link is to Link. Even more different than Toon Link is to Link.

And he actually has his own series that is still going on.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
be cut. Impa would still be there on the Wii U version though.

And your right with the repeating circle. People want her in Smash now, cause she was in Smash before. But personally I'd be about as excited to see her return in Smash as I would for Dr.Mario. :/ Not really much.
[glow] I wouldn't mind if they replaced Sheik with Impa. Even though she was in both Melee and Brawl, she wasn't in 64. So I could see it happening possibly. Where as they will never get rid of veterans from 64. [/glow]

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, let's just say I hope this is not the case. And if it is, meaning: Sheik returns, I hope then AT LEAST she also will make a return in a Zelda game soon afterwards. But here's hoping for Impa, as I think Sheik's Brawl inclusion was still a lucky one with the scrapped Twilight Princess design for her.

What I do think is that she'll likely will return on the 3DS version, and if that's true then she'd of coarse be transferable to the Wii U version from it, so in the end she wouldn't be cut. Impa would still be there on the Wii U version though.

Well I guess we can both agree that we'd like to see Impa in over Sheik, regardless of the chance of that actually happening.

I really haven't made my mind up about exclusive characters (for the 3DS and the Wii U) and haven't even begun thinking what characters they might be, but I guess Sheik and Impa are valid guesses (if not super likely). I suppose she would be separate from Zelda then, which would raise further questions...

And I'd like to see Dr. Mario return!
As a costume only :laugh:

Hoots

Can Be Combative

The only reason you wouldn't much want to see her return is because you think Impa is cooler and you see Sheik as the barrier stopping her. This bull**** about you thinking she isn't relevant enough is simply your blind fanboyism and nothing more.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Whatever you do, don't go treating his speculation as a Bible of sorts. His is no different from anyone else's.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah no worries, I was actually confused as to how confident the wording was, that was why it made me think it might have been Sakurai. XD That's why I wish to know his point so we can discuss it. ^^

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yo I want glowing text to. How do I do glowing text? :c

The only reason you wouldn't much want to see her return is because you think Impa is cooler and you see Sheik as the barrier stopping her. This bull**** about you thinking she isn't relevant enough is simply your blind fanboyism and nothing more.

:phone:
Ease up.

Sheik can't create barriers.

Impa can.

:awesome:

Well I guess we can both agree that we'd like to see Impa in over Sheik, regardless of the chance of that actually happening.

I really haven't made my mind up about exclusive characters (for the 3DS and the Wii U) and haven't even begun thinking what characters they might be, but I guess Sheik and Impa are valid guesses (if not super likely). I suppose she would be separate from Zelda then, which would raise further questions...

And I'd like to see Dr. Mario return!
As a costume only :laugh:
I think I'll make version exclusive rosters soon. I'll be on it if I feel like wasting time, I promise.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Toise's points are usually well spoken and clearly thought out, and tend to make a fair amount of sense, but with that said I still disagree with him on some things. Nobody should take anybody's ideas here as the gospel truth, nobody knows the inner working of Sakurai's mind, reasoning, and choices except for Sakurai. Plus Sakurai likes to throw curve balls :awesome:

I'd like to know more about his reasoning just for further clarification. I'm open to changing my opinion based on sound reasoning, as others should be too, I think.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Indeed. Why is this guy still praises as the Smash Messaiah? Surely he has a well thought opinion but I wouldn't quote his opinion as the best one there is on everything yet :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom