• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
From what I remember, it wasn't called canon.

It was called "Mainstream".
Which is still up for debate too. Some consider the Sports/Kart/etc. mainstream due to their extremely popularity.

To be honest, the only thing you could even say for sure that it's part of the overall Canon(which is nearly everything) would be... the 3rd Party games like Mario Hoops 3-on-3 or Mario & Sonic games. And even that's pretty damn arguable. Long story short, there is no way to determine it outside of opinion.

Edit : Herp derp. What happened to the trolling activity in the thread? It's still April
Some of us grew up. ;)

Which is still up for debate too. Some consider the Sports/Kart/etc. mainstream due to their extremely popularity.
I THINK the right word now and the reason why Waluigi isn't really that likely and all...

Is cause he lacks appearances in... uhhhh... ughhhhhh... major games? Honestly, I can't name the word so when it comes to debates like this, I'm hopeless. lol
Some of us grew up. ;)
rly nao?
---------

sunovabich, I thought I was replying to GY.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
IMO Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Super Mario Bros. 1-3 (including the Lost Levels), World 1&2, Land 1&2, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2, and 3D Land are "canon" Mario games.

However, there is no real "canon" Mario story. There's a difference between the two.

Mario's story is ultimately just an infinite circle that never ends! Mario's been waiting to get Peach's poontang for almost 30 years! :laugh:

Edit: Some of us grew up, but some of other people on here are still in Neverland and will never ever going to grow up! :chuckle:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I THINK the right word now and the reason why Waluigi isn't really that likely and all...

Is cause he lacks appearances in... uhhhh... ughhhhhh... major games? Honestly, I can't name the word so when it comes to debates like this, I'm hopeless. lol

rly nao?
---------

It is much worse than that. Waluigi has never been in a non trivial throwaway game. It doesn't matter if they're popular. Waluigi has never done anything in a game that is not a party game. They won't even put him into a Mario game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If he wasn't likely at all, he wouldn't be upgraded to an Assist Trophy with moves and movement. He's fair game.

The problem with major games is that all the Mario games sell pretty damn well. That's not even something that you can determine. I can agree that Waluigi is fairly unimportant to the Mario series as a whole, though. Kind of like Tingle is. Same category, same likeliness(technically. Nobody knows if he likes one over the other)

rly nao?
---------

Eh. No matter.

Mario's story is ultimately just an infinite circle that never ends! Mario's been waiting to get Peach's poontang for almost 30 years! :laugh:
I think sleeping with that the guy has **** all over him would is a stupid idea. You're better off with the dragon turtle but... ewww... beastiality man. Oh well, she's already kissed Mario several times anyway.
If he wasn't likely at all, he wouldn't be upgraded to an Assist Trophy with moves and movement. He's fair game.
I dunno.... Waluigi's support was over 900 (Nine hundred. Yes. Not nine thousand. That's only for Sonic support) but he still could not get in (Like Toad and Ridley lol). Who knows anyway. I'm just betting against him for the reason that he did not appear in any... uhh... "Major" games despite popularity and sales.

Plus, Brawl is pretty much 3/4 or 4/5 based on the GC era. Waluigi had a ****load of games but he still could not get in. Not sure if he's in Sakurai's journal.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I dunno.... Waluigi's support was over 900 (Nine hundred. Yes. Not nine thousand. That's only for Sonic support) but he still could not get in (Like Toad and Ridley lol). Who knows anyway. I'm just betting against him for the reason that he did not appear in any... uhh... "Major" games despite popularity and sales.
Major is not defined and really isn't a good reason. Especially when there's no stated canon, or nothing stated around this either.

I don't actually see him getting in before Toad or Ridley, of course. I think it'd be better if Toad was in. But we just can't count Waluigi out... especially when absolutely nothing shows that he would never get in.

Plus, Brawl is pretty much 3/4 or 4/5 based on the GC era. Waluigi had a ****load of games but he still could not get in. Not sure if he's in Sakurai's journal.
He actually does say "Too bad he's not playable", so he could've indeed been in. Who knows, really? And having a lot of games has never shown to mean anything to Sakurai. Also, considering Sakurai considers Smash both a fighting and a party game(to an extent), I wouldn't be surprised if he looks at party/kart/etc. stuff a lot. Just as long as Sonic Shuffle isn't mentioed. ;)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No, I'm just sayin' when is Mario gonna get some baby mini-Mario/Peach babies=???

C'mon, that would be totally hype! :laugh:
Especially the divorce process and who gets the kids!
:joyful: :joyful: :joyful: :joyful:

Also I agree berserker on Waluigi. In the Gamecube/Game Boy Advance era Waluigi was everywhere. IN the Wii/DS era Waluigi was noticeably less visible. This is probably due to more focus on actual Mario games that involve platforming.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
My *****s, Waluigi isn't gonna get in Smash because he's spin-off exclusive. The big reason why he ain't gonn get in Smash is because he just isn't that good of a choice compared to Toad, Paper Mario, or even Bowser Jr. Sakurai seems to consider him as a Mario newcomer, and because of that, he's got too much competition (formidable competition at that); pretty much everything he has going for him other characters already have and then some. If he were in a Wario game, though, maybe he could get in as a Wario rep

D

Deleted member

Could you please multiquote next time, GY?
Fine.

Okay, I can't argue with that. I'd like to see her playable, but yeah, Tetra/Knight Zelda would be cooler.
Ok.

Whatever he makes up. He made up GB's, MH's, and CH's descriptions and so on. So to say... it won't work...
Again, they are all original to the Smash series and are treated as such. Fight Giga Bowser in Melee. Does he use the Mushroom symbol? No.
Toon Sheik is tagged upon Toon Zelda and would be treated as a Zelda character. And again, what title would be on her description on where she's from? Certainly wouldn't be a Zelda title.

Depends if he cares about new choices over old ones. That's why I could see them being less likely. But that's simply a matter of opinion, so I won't really debate this point.
Good. Seeing as the only thing you have to go by is Toon Link and Wolf beating out Mewtwo and Roy in terms of priority. But then you have to factor Jigglypuff being higher priority than all of them.

None of those are main characters like Toon Zelda is. ;) That's why. Why else would he consider Toon Zelda before any of those, except arguably Tingle at that time(who has more actual data that Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, notably).
Midna is the Twilight Princess. Her game is Twilight Princess. The story mostly is about her. How is she NOT a main character?
Ghirahim is a major character in Skyward Sword and is the main source of conflict. Take him out of the story, and the game is about Link and Zelda living their lives in Skyloft while dealing with the bully Groose. Demise is forever trapped because Ghirahim doesn't try to free him; Link has no need to go out on an adventure as Zelda is never kidnapped, etc.
Skull Kid is the unwittingly main source of conflict within Majora's Mask as he WEARS the Majora's Mask, which is the title. Without him, Majora's Mask has no story.
Impa, while not a MAIN character is still prominent and is one of the most recurring characters. And, with Skyward Sword, is one of the major players in the beginning of the legend.
Conversely, the only times Toon Zelda was a main character was as Tetra or Phantom Zelda.

That sounds like Mewtwo is less likely than Plusle & Minun. Also, there is no "exact slot space" anyway. Plusle & Minun were beat out by Lucario, after all. It even makes it sound like we'll just get 4 Pokemon slots, and it'll be a 1st Gen(like usual) and a 5th Gen. But anything could happen. I don't see Mewtwo being automatically likely either.
They were also beat out by Jigglypuff AND Mewtwo, who was much farther along in development than them.
Mewtwo was also cut due to time restraints, as is Roy and I speculate Dr. Mario after heavy research. Dixie was cut simply because Sakurai couldn't work her in as Diddy's partner. Making her a seperate character for the next Smash would make logical sense.
We don't know why Toon Zelda/Sheik and Plusle and Minun were cut, but they have the least chances of the 7.

Please don't make unfounded claims. There is no official roster space or slow allotment here. He'll do as he needs or wants.
Time restraints say otherwise.
And the irony is that you're making such unfounded claims as well with the "He'll do as he needs or wants."

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If there's one thing I've never gotten about Waluigi, it is his hate base? What do people dislike about him?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Tri-Hy, the main reason why is because well... he's unoriginal. Basically just Luigi and Wario put together. And also, people think that the only reason he was created in Mario Tennis was so that Wario could have a partner. So people think he's useless, as well

Personally, even though he isn't really a good choice for Smash, I like him. He reminds me of Dastardly from Dastardly and Muttley, one of my favorite cartoons

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Edit: Some of us grew up, but some of other people on here are still in Neverland and will never ever going to grow up! :chuckle:
Not all of us. For example, since my alter ego is General Guy, I shall live as long as people play Paper Mario on the ol' 64. :awesome:

And I broke the system, as I own Paper Mario. :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

He actually does say "Too bad he's not playable", so he could've indeed been in. Who knows, really? And having a lot of games has never shown to mean anything to Sakurai. Also, considering Sakurai considers Smash both a fighting and a party game(to an extent), I wouldn't be surprised if he looks at party/kart/etc. stuff a lot. Just as long as Sonic Shuffle isn't mentioed. ;)

It was actually along the lines of "The fact that Waluigi is an Assist Trophy means he's not playable....but Waluigi appears nonetheless!"

Being the big Waluigi nut I am, even I have call shenanigans on your statement.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thank you. :)

Yep.

Again, they are all original to the Smash series and are treated as such. Fight Giga Bowser in Melee. Does he use the Mushroom symbol? No.
Toon Sheik is tagged upon Toon Zelda and would be treated as a Zelda character. And again, what title would be on her description on where she's from? Certainly wouldn't be a Zelda title.
It'd be Super Smash Bros. [4], of course. I don't remember where Sakurai stated that a Smash Original cannot be playable. She'd probably be under the Smash symbol. Hell, there's rumors that the Japanese version of Smash 64 had a Polygon mode.(I'll find the rom to check this)

Good. Seeing as the only thing you have to go by is Toon Link and Wolf beating out Mewtwo and Roy in terms of priority. But then you have to factor Jigglypuff being higher priority than all of them.
Only one of high priority right now would be Jigglypuff and Pikachu. J-Puff is arguable, though. Lucario? Not anymore. So right now, we have a 5th Gen, and any other guy, regardless of Gen. Only one I could see is low priority is Piichu, since he was outright cut and apparently not liked in Sakurai's opinion(which isn't really all that true, he has quite a fanbase).

Midna is the Twilight Princess. Her game is Twilight Princess. The story mostly is about her. How is she NOT a main character?
She's not THE main Zelda Trio. That's the difference. I am not saying she isn't important, of course. Ganon is more important than his counterpart Ganondorf, for example. She's a main character, just not a recurring one. Part of a recurring main character apparently take priority over a one-off.

Ghirahim is a major character in Skyward Sword and is the main source of conflict. Take him out of the story, and the game is about Link and Zelda living their lives in Skyloft while dealing with the bully Groose. Demise is forever trapped because Ghirahim doesn't try to free him; Link has no need to go out on an adventure as Zelda is never kidnapped, etc.
Skull Kid is the unwittingly main source of conflict within Majora's Mask as he WEARS the Majora's Mask, which is the title. Without him, Majora's Mask has no story.
Impa, while not a MAIN character is still prominent and is one of the most recurring characters. And, with Skyward Sword, is one of the major players in the beginning of the legend.
Conversely, the only times Toon Zelda was a main character was as Tetra or Phantom Zelda.
But she's still Zelda. She's one of the MAIN characters. Not a temporary one. I'd rate Vaati as close to possible as part of the ultimate main list among Ganon/Link/Zelda. He's a key character in multiple games. I didn't say they weren't important or a temporary main character. A recurring main character is a bit more notable than a one-off, that's all. Either way, he planned Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, so there's quite a fair chance she could get in anyway.

They were also beat out by Jigglypuff AND Mewtwo, who was much farther along in development than them.
Mewtwo was also cut due to time restraints, as is Roy and I speculate Dr. Mario after heavy research. Dixie was cut simply because Sakurai couldn't work her in as Diddy's partner. Making her a seperate character for the next Smash would make logical sense.
We don't know why Toon Zelda/Sheik and Plusle and Minun were cut, but they have the least chances of the 7.
Well, obviously the last two were of lesser priority. But is it so bad to just bring them all into the next game? And a finished character from an earlier game would be easier to add back in anyway.

Time restraints say otherwise.
And the irony is that you're making such unfounded claims as well with the "He'll do as he needs or wants."
Who says he'll have time restraints this time? In addition, you do not know how much he plans for or what he considers a good number. There were to be 41 slot spaces in Brawl as is, remember?

It was actually "The fact that Waluigi is an Assist Trophy means he's not playable....but Waluigi appears nonetheless!"

Being the big Waluigi nut I am, even I have call shenanigans on your statement.
The point was that he clearly wanted Waluigi in somehow. It isn't a stretch to say he may want him to do more. Not that he definitely wants it, just that we can't count that out as speculation.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If there's one thing I've never gotten about Waluigi, it is his hate base? What do people dislike about him?
People hate him because he is extremely unoriginal. Also certain sectors of his fan base can be rage-worthy. However, it is not as rage worthy as some fan bases, such as certain sectors of various Square Enix and Capcom games/series' fan bases are. But boy oh boy, the fan base with the worse segments are the Sonic fan base. Rouge fans... :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Not all of us. For example, since my alter ego is General Guy, I shall live as long as people play Paper Mario on the ol' 64. :awesome:
We have these things called "psychologists" and "psychiatrists" to help "your kind." ;)
My *****s, Waluigi isn't gonna get in Smash because he's spin-off exclusive. The big reason why he ain't gonn get in Smash is because he just isn't that good of a choice compared to Toad, Paper Mario, or even Bowser Jr. Sakurai seems to consider him as a Mario newcomer, and because of that, he's got too much competition (formidable competition at that); pretty much everything he has going for him other characters already have and then some. If he were in a Wario game, though, maybe he could get in as a Wario rep
Basically this. Plus he's unoriginal. Say what you will about the clones in smash, but you can't call any of them "unoriginal"... except Doc! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

The fact that you list Vaati as potentially the 4th key character discredits the rest.
Sorry, but 3 games as a villain doesn't make him that important. Especially when one of them, he was Ganon's *****.

And also, guess that means Toon Ganondorf, Wolf Link, Phantom Zelda, Goron Link, Zora Link, Deku Link, Fierce Diety Link, Pig Ganon, Puppet Ganon, Phantom Ganon, etc. are all the best choices for Smash as well instead of other Zelda characters because they're forms of the Triforce Wielders. Also, Toon versions of all of them that don't have Toon versions because Sakurai can do whatever the **** he wants.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You know Golden, the only "true" Toon version of characters in the Legend of Zelda series to appear in 3 "Toon" Zelda games have been Link, Zelda, and common enemies. :grin:

I guess you could add Tingle, too, since he was in Majora's Mask, the Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures (although I doubt many people bought that crap), and the Minish Cap.

@ Metal
I hate the Sonic fans that hate on original Sonic fans like myself. Specifically those furry b****rd Shadow/Rouge/Big the Cat/Cream fans that never shut their traps. I oppose all kinds of unregulated violence (regulated violence = sports), but DAYUM I want to beat those kids... WITH KNOWLEDGE!!! :mad:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
People hate him because he is extremely unoriginal. Also certain sectors of his fan base can be rage-worthy. However, it is not as rage worthy as some fan bases, such as certain sectors of various Square Enix and Capcom games/series' fan bases are. But boy oh boy, the fan base with the worse segments are the Sonic fan base. Rouge fans... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

We have these things called "psychologists" and "psychiatrists" to help "your kind." ;)

Basically this. Plus he's unoriginal. Say what you will about the clones in smash, but you can't call any of them "unoriginal"... except Doc! :laugh:
Sonic fanboys are pretty bad. But CoD fanboys are worse. :mad:

I've tried, believe me, but no pyschologist can handle my imagination's occasional outbursts. It just kind of explodes all over the place, and releases Imagi-beasts. Then they sit there in shock. :laugh:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
All the CoD "fanbase" (really, they're all either annoying little kids or obnoxious grown *** men) ever does is call people kids and tryhards all day and quickscope/exploit ****. They also complain about the current game that's out (MW2) and when then a new game comes out (Black Ops), they play that for a bit, complain about it endlessly and then they go back to and praise the previous game that they were complaining about. Rinse and repeat

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The fact that you list Vaati as potentially the 4th key character discredits the rest.
Sorry, but 3 games as a villain doesn't make him that important. Especially when one of them, he was Ganon's *****.
Actually, it makes him the most important villain outside of Ganon/Ganondorf. There's some other secondary key characters, like the Twinrova Sisters, Impa, etc.

I did not say that one-offs or less important characters not LEGIT choices.

And also, guess that means Toon Ganondorf, Wolf Link, Phantom Zelda, Goron Link, Zora Link, Deku Link, Fierce Diety Link, Pig Ganon, Puppet Ganon, Phantom Ganon, etc. are all the best choices for Smash as well instead of other Zelda characters because they're forms of the Triforce Wielders. Also, Toon versions of all of them that don't have Toon versions because Sakurai can do whatever the **** he wants.
They kind of are the best choices. They're all main or playable characters of the most important priority.

Not to say they will be chosen by default or anything. But the fact he thought Toon Zelda was a better idea than other characters like Impa/Tingle/etc. does tend to make you wonder. Remember, Toad's only not in because Sakurai doesn't think he can fight, otherwise he would be.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
All the CoD "fanbase" (really, they're all either annoying little kids or obnoxious grown *** men) ever does is call people kids and tryhards all day and quickscope/exploit ****. They also complain about the current game that's out and when then a new game comes out, they play that for a bit, complain about it endlessly and then praise the previous game that they were complaining about
Most CoD fanboys I see: "OH MY GOD YOUR GAMES ARE FOR BABIES! THERE'S NO ****ING POINTLESS SHOOTING, SO IT IMMEDIATELY SUX!"

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
^^^^^^^ Yeah, that even kinda ties into why I hate new gen console war fanboys. I seriously saw a real argument in the comments once on some old Black Ops article from Attack on the Fanboy about whether the BLADES OF GRASS in the game looked better on PS3 or 360

Cloud, 360/PS3, COD, Graphix fanboiz are annoying as hell.

Oh and I almost forgot about how biased IGN and Gamespot are.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Don't you know that you can make a console more graphically powerful just by fanboyism alone?

In my wee early internet days, I encountered what I'm guessing was a Sony fanboy saying the PS2 had far better graphics than the GameCube, even though common sense would say "No," and it's demonstrably false. I think I asked him why RE4's graphics had to be toned down when ported to the PS2.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Where am I in all this Boondocks thing?

And I haven't read console flame wars in quite some time.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Don't you know that you can make a console more graphically powerful just by fanboyism alone?

In my wee early internet days, I encountered what I'm guessing was a Sony fanboy saying the PS2 had far better graphics than the GameCube, even though common sense would say "No," and it's demonstrably false. I think I asked him why RE4's graphics had to be toned down when ported to the PS2.
Seriously. I have no problems with fans. All my problems lie with fanboys who wave their opinions about "their games" and "their consoles" they had no involvement in building or making waving them around like they make them better people. They usually do this because they need to raise their "self esteem" because a certain part of the body being small, daddy issues, attention issues, or in general just being a moron looking for attention to feel "special." :chuckle:

Edit: Y'all need to post already! I wanna flame somebody! :grin:

Jakor

Smash Ace
I haven't posted much this past week. I have plenty of other things to do, so... I haven't worked on the next version of my SSB Roster Maker since Tuesday either. I'll be showing more when I'll have more free time again.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hey, I've been doing some archive work on my channel of my favorite videos playlists.

I just made this playlist of Brawl Demo gameplay available to the public. Check it out here if you want to see Brawl before it was... finished. By the way, Brawl had no wave dashing, L-cancelling (with weird timing), and wave landing then. Oh, and tripping wasn't as random, and explosive barrel, crates, etc were marked. Lastly, Mario was boss (he was like a better Dr. Mario), and Meta Knight was basically the same! :laugh:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Awh man. Visited a forum I had not frequented in QUITE SOME TIME, and I checked the Smash thread only to find Ridley size debates. I should probably not visit again for another QUITE SOME TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom