• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Shouldn't it be obvious, John? I'm a fan of Squares.

Or Septagons?

I would love a lineup, actually. Especially with HEIGHT MARKS behind them.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Why not just go for a full-circle? Geez man.
Because then ALL of the spots MUST have Pokemon in them, of course :smirk:

lets use triangles
No.

Or Circles!

And then X's!
X's? This **** are we talking about again?

X's are for homosexuals. It's like the symbol of frottage.
Arrow shape, actually :awesome:
So I'll take it X's are your favorite then, eh Oasis=??? :awesome:

By the way, squares/rectangles are just the easiest to see/read/translate with your brain. :cool:
Actually, being in DMA class, the best is Circles because corners distract the human brain.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley's lost his knees a couple times. Why should he care anymore if they are gone=??? :troll: :samus:

Edit: @ asage
We don't use circle because they seem unorganized... list communists... :troll:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Instead of a character select screen, let's just have a CARDBOARD BOX with all the characters running around inside. They would also all be wearing kitten ears. You control a cursor and pick them up by their SCRUFF to select them. While others are picking their characters, you can pet your kittycharacter.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Instead of a character select screen, let's just have a CARDBOARD BOX with all the characters running around inside. They would also all be wearing kitten ears. You control a cursor and pick them up by their SCRUFF to select them. While others are picking their characters, you can pet your kittycharacter.
*All furries raise hands*

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How's about instead of a character select screen, we have no characters at all=??? :smirk:

That way, we can truly "experience" the smash bros experience ourselves... with our... "imagination." :awesome:

Or as I like to call it, THIS THREAD!!! :glare:

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
...Is not needed. I love the guy, and while I think he's not that unlikely, there's better options.

Sure.

King K. Rool first, then we can talk. Hell, Samurai Goroh first. Let's bump up the other franchises first.

I'd rather have regular Ganon than him. Not to mention, how about Impa or Tingle, full veterans?

He'd be nice, but let's get an unique SE rep, like one from their regular games. If he can also get in sure.

Sure, as long as 5th and 3rd Gen get a character first. Veterans not making it are lower on my scale than new potential characters.

This is the only one I completely agree with. I want Bowser Jr. in, but he's not beyond important enough to me.

Removing a full series is not acceptable. They can stay for eternity. They're unique and awesome.

My basis for choosing the characters that I did is due to their general importance or prominence within the Nintendo franchise.

Bowser Jr. has played a bigger role in the more recent games if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding Waluigi it would make perfect sense. They have Wario as a counter to Mario why not Waluigi? He's a pretty prominent figure in the Mario world. King K. Rool would actually be pretty awesome; can't believe I forgot about him.

I'm split with Ridley. On one hand I think he'd be too big to fit in but on the other hand I guess they'd have to shrink him to have him playable.

As for the IC's - correct me if I'm wrong but what do they have - like 1 game? Gah, in terms of unique-ness these guys pretty much have it. Perhaps their rageworthy chaingrab has my mind in a muddle about them.

A 3rd gen Pokemon would be pretty cool and I'd be all for it. Deoxys has my vote. Just imagine..down b allows him to change into any of his 4 forms with altered attributes similar to Zelda/Shiek and the Poke-swapping PT.

Zoruark is the only one I can imagine repping 5th gen, similar to Lucario seeing as how they were both mascots of their respective gens.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
In one fell Swoop, you ruined that image for me.

CHAMP OF FUNK has a good idea.

I like the idea of all the characters sitting in a restaurant sitting at tables with their series symbol on it. Classy.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
How's about instead of a character select screen, we have no characters at all=??? :smirk:

That way, we can truly "experience" the smash bros experience ourselves... with our... "imagination." :awesome:

Or as I like to call it, THIS THREAD!!! :glare:
No characters? SPONGEBOB MOMENTS :smirk:

We have Snake. Just use your taunt on Rainbow Cruise :laugh:

What's realistic mean?

@Oasis Sorry for wrecking your cherished dreams, Sir.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The difference between Waluigi, Wario, and Luigi is that Wario and Luigi have their own games/series, whereas Waluigi is exclusive to the Mario spin-offs. Seriously, Nintendo didn't even make him. His sole creation purpose was to be Luigi's doubles partner in Mario Tennis. At least the Ice Climbers have one game. That's a heck of a lot more than one of a trillion worthless Mario spin-off exclusive characters.

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
The difference between Waluigi, Wario, and Luigi is that Wario and Luigi have their own games/series, whereas Waluigi is exclusive to the Mario spin-offs. Seriously, Nintendo didn't even make him. His sole creation purpose was to be Luigi's doubles partner in Mario Tennis. At least the Ice Climbers have one game. That's a heck of a lot more than one of a trillion worthless Mario spin-off exclusive characters.
Who would be more recognizable in the eyes of your typical Nintendo fan? Waluigi is far more prominent then the Ice Climbers. And who knows? Perhaps Waluigi'll have his own spin-off one day, ridiculous or as forgetful as it might be.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Who would be more recognizable in the eyes of your typical Nintendo fan? Waluigi is far more prominent then the Ice Climbers. And who knows? Perhaps Waluigi'll have his own spin-off one day, ridiculous or as forgetful as it might be.
The difference is people actually like the Ice Climbers more than they hate them. Waluigi has more haters (as a potential smash bros playable character) than fans.

Also, it isn't about "prominence." It's who makes the best playable characters. Who makes you want to play the game the most. Ice Climbers make us want to play smash more because they are a unique, fun, and creative team, whereas Waluigi is just a poser clone of Wario and Luigi.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

That includes you as all Lucario mainers are furries.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My basis for choosing the characters that I did is due to their general importance or prominence within the Nintendo franchise.
...Waluigi. He has no real prominence. In fact, Nintendo didn't even create him. At all. Although the spin-offs are pretty damn good overall. I do agree on that end, and if you mean repping them, I could understand that.

Bowser Jr. has played a bigger role in the more recent games if I'm not mistaken.
In a few, but Toad is just plain better as he's been in almost every one. The only reasons to add Jr. first is either to have a villain, or to use an unique transformation with Shadow Mario. Otherwise, honestly, Toad is most prominent one.

Regarding Waluigi it would make perfect sense. They have Wario as a counter to Mario why not Waluigi? He's a pretty prominent figure in the Mario world. King K. Rool would actually be pretty awesome; can't believe I forgot about him.
Wario was not put in to counter Mario. He was put in because he's a major protagonist anit-hero with two of his own full series. And actually, in the regular Mario world, Waluigi does not officially exist. He has yet to be in a regular title, so it's entirely possible that Kart and Party are not canon at all. Not to say they can't be, but he's just popular, not an actual major character. They're unrelated.

I'm split with Ridley. On one hand I think he'd be too big to fit in but on the other hand I guess they'd have to shrink him to have him playable.
It's not hard to make him playable at all. If any issues exist, it's with his long tail.

As for the IC's - correct me if I'm wrong but what do they have - like 1 game? Gah, in terms of unique-ness these guys pretty much have it. Perhaps their rageworthy chaingrab has my mind in a muddle about them.
Ness says Hi. He got in despite never having another game. Being in one game only is no issue. It was a retro pick, after all. And I mean this respectively, it sounds like you hate them because you got your butt kicked by them. In other words, butthurt. I don't even mean this in a mean way.

A 3rd gen Pokemon would be pretty cool and I'd be all for it. Deoxys has my vote. Just imagine..down b allows him to change into any of his 4 forms with altered attributes similar to Zelda/Shiek and the Poke-swapping PT.
There's more than one way to do it, but yes, an interesting choice.

Zoruark is the only one I can imagine repping 5th gen, similar to Lucario seeing as how they were both mascots of their respective gens.
Zoruark is not the official mascot. He was never one to begin with. Victini is actually closer if anyone. But there is none yet, except both of the main two Legendaries, Reshiram and Zekrom. There's the only actual official mascots. Choosing one, however, doesn't actually exist. Zoruark is not as popular as you make him out to be. And even then, he was never labeled the mascot like Pikachu was.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I fail to see the problem with Duck Hunt Dog.

I mean, sure he's no Takamaru, Lip, Sukapon, Mach Rider, etc. But he's still a Retro rep and is somewhat of an icon for Nintendo.
Well, the reason I support Duck Hunt Dog is because he is a gaming icon from the NES era. This is why. When the NES first came to North America, it was bundled with Super Mario Bros. with two controllers, Gyromite with R.O.B., and Duck Hunt with Zapper. Because of this, the characters from these three NES games became the first faces of Nintendo in North America. So far we have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and R.O.B... the only ones missing are Toad and Duck Hunt Dog. That's why I do not think Duck Hunt Dog is some random obscure character I picked out of the bunch for no reason. This was a deliberate choice I made when I was searching for a new retro rep.

I do think that Duck Hunt Dog is the ideal character to rep the Light Gun series. What is the Light Gun series? In Japan, the three Famicom games that are compatible with the Zapper are Wild Gunman, Duck Hunt, and Hogan's Alley and they are grouped together under the Light Gun series. See this Japanese commercial? That is the Light Gun series. I picked Duck Hunt Dog because he had more to offer compared to Wild Gunman and well, there are no characters in Hogan's Alley... this is what I was doing... using the process of elimination to determine who is the ideal character to represent the Light Gun series just like Sakurai used the process of elimination to determine who is the ideal character to represent the Famicom in general (Ice Climbers over Balloon Fighter, Bubbles, Excitebiker, and Urban Champion).

And of course, this video made me want the dog in Smash even more. :awesome: The dog as a troll character is a bonus. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... yeah, anything else BESIDES the goddamn hexagons? Or are you people just going to whine about that?
Ummm... let's see... 15 characters in the starting roster... 34 unlockable characters... for a total of 49? characters without DLC??? So... you mean to tell us that we would work more for the extra characters... and this is without DLC?!? If you are gonna start out with 15 characters, you should have 15 unlockable characters AT MOST, not at least. It's usually been like this with many games... Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Street Fighter, etc. The number of unlockable characters should be less than or equal to the number of starting characters. And with DLC... you got 25 characters for a grand total of what? 74??? Not only that, but you have what? 12 third party characters? I think that's a tad too unrealistic and people say I got unrealistic expectations? Haphazardly adding characters for the sake of having more characters tend to dilute the quality of the roster as a whole, FYI.

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
...Waluigi. He has no real prominence. In fact, Nintendo didn't even create him. At all. Although the spin-offs are pretty damn good overall. I do agree on that end, and if you mean repping them, I could understand that.

That's pretty much where I stand with Waluigi.

In a few, but Toad is just plain better as he's been in almost every one. The only reasons to add Jr. first is either to have a villain, or to use an unique transformation with Shadow Mario. Otherwise, honestly, Toad is most prominent one.

Only problem I've had with Toad is a failure to imagine a moveset for him. But I'd prefer Bowser Jr. any day. He seems like the character who'd have interesting gimmicks with that paint brush. Toad seems bland but maybe something would work out. But Smash needs more villains anyway.

Wario was not put in to counter Mario. He was put in because he's a major protagonist anit-hero with two of his own full series. And actually, in the regular Mario world, Waluigi does not officially exist. He has yet to be in a regular title, so it's entirely possible that Kart and Party are not canon at all. Not to say they can't be, but he's just popular, not an actual major character. They're unrelated.
Wario made his debut as the main antagonist in a Game Boy game sometime in the early 90's(I forgot the title) with the intent of him being the mirrored, bad boy version of Mario.

It's not hard to make him playable at all. If any issues exist, it's with his long tail.
Perhaps.

Ness says Hi. He got in despite never having another game. Being in one game only is no issue. It was a retro pick, after all. And I mean this respectively, it sounds like you hate them because you got your butt kicked by them. In other words, butthurt. I don't even mean this in a mean way.
Point taken there. I am butthurt actually.

Zoruark is not the official mascot. He was never one to begin with. Victini is actually closer if anyone. But there is none yet, except both of the main two Legendaries, Reshiram and Zekrom. There's the only actual official mascots. Choosing one, however, doesn't actually exist. Zoruark is not as popular as you make him out to be. And even then, he was never labeled the mascot like Pikachu was.

You missed the point and I think you're forgetting that Victini is this generations small cute uber similar to Mew, Celebi, Jirachi..etc At most he'd be a Pokeball special, similar to past games. I never really indicated that Zoruark was 'popular'. Rather, like Lucario he was among the first Pokemon to debut representing his generation. Also, take into consideration that Zoruark was featured in his own Pokemon movie much like Lucario was.

No Pokemon can really compare to Pikachus iconic status( Though Jiggz is pretty big in Japan I hear) within the franchise so that's an irrelevant point. Lucario was never labeled the mascot Pikachu was either. Aside from Zoruark I can't really imagine any other viable 5th generation rep. He's the perfect candidate.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
You missed the point and I think you're forgetting that Victini is this generations small cute uber similar to Mew, Celebi, Jirachi..etc At most he'd be a Pokeball special consistent to past games. I never really indicated that Zoruark was 'popular', rather like Lucario he was one of the first Pokemon to debut representing his generation. The parallels between Cario and Zoruark are pretty striking. Also, take into consideration that Zoruark was featured in his own Pokemon movie much like Lucario.

No Pokemon can really compare to Pikachus iconic status( Though Jiggz is pretty big in Japan I hear) within the franchise so that's an irrelevant point. Lucario was never labeled the mascot Pikachu was either. Aside from Zoruark I can't really imagine any other viable 5th generation rep. He's the perfect candidate.
Oh god, not Tini vs Zoro again
I wanna jump in on this SO badly...

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Join the fray trololol.
LOL He doesn't know who I am when we speak of the Victorious Victini... Cute.

Here's my response via what we've learned about the Pokemon series. It's in my Victini blog as a rough draft. No one commented on it, so I guess now's the perfect time to post it.

Victorious Keys: Victini’s for SSB4 (Title)

Okay, so let’s face it- Playable Pokemon characters is and has been the most argued over section of Super Smash Brothers. The reason for this is quite simple. There are more than 600+ Pokemon, each having their own unique capabilities, but we can narrow down who might actually get into a Smash game due to their overall appearances/abilities.

For example, where we’d start figuring who might get in started with Mewtwo. Let’s see here… He had a popular movie and overall huge popularity in the Smash community and outside, which is the Pokemon community. Also, to make sure we don’t point at Magikarp and Feebas for being liable playable characters, he has a Smash-reliable moveset, including (A) moves and jumps.

To also add to the assumption that movie, popularity, and relevancy are the keys of discovering a new Pokemon character, we have Lucario. Lucario had a movie, became more popular than Blaziken and Deoxys, which would have been valid options at the crunch time for Brawl’s release, and was more close to Brawl’s release then the two options. Pichu was in SSBM because of his popularity, while being second banana to the mascot of Pokemon, Pikachu. Jigglypuff is part of the original 12, allowing her a VIP pass in SSB, so to speak, and Red (Pokemon Trainer) was in because of his Pokémon’s popularity, along with his. So, in short, Pokemon characters are chosen by their significance of the present date. Some would argue that Red is the breaker of that logic, but his appearance in Fire Red and Leaf Green denies the perishing.

Okay, now that I said that, let me explain why we can push Zoroark aside, and put Victini into SSB4. Zoroark did have a movie and is very popular in Japan, please note that. Victini has superiority in all slots, except Popularity, which he’s catching up on. He had two movies, being Victini and Reshiram and Victini and Zekrom. This, alone, beats Mewtwo and Lucario, along with Zoroark. Though he isn’t as popular as Zoroark, Victini is still quite popular, and one of the people who like him directs the Pokemon series itself: Junichi Masuda. Junichi Masuda is one of the founding members of Game Freak and serves as the Director of the Board. He is best known as a game director and composer for the Pokémon games. According to an IGN interview, Victini is Junichi Masuda's favorite Generation V Pokémon. Also, as a fun fact, he also likes Pichu, as he did in pre-Melee. Also, his arrival on the scene is much bigger than Zoroark’s.

The point I’m trying to break to you is this. Pokemon characters are argued over by far more than any other series for SSB. With what we’ve seen, there are three basic elements, or keys, that let a Pokemon be playable: Popularity, movie appearance, and relevancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom