• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
You know about the whole Villager being in Brawl and then Sakurai was like, "Nah, no AC characters should fight" right?

Yeeeah, but I'm banking on the fact that Sakurai changes his mind a lot. Plus, he's also said that Ridley would be difficult to make work. Not saying that the two statements about AC characters and Ridley are the same, but Sakurai has said things that could eventually come back to haunt him, and I think these two statements are examples.

Oh, and I'm holding out hope since Animal Crossing is a huuuuuuge series for Nintendo.

And then there's the notion that characters have to fit the mass's image of a fighter, which I have not only debated on here, but vehemently disagree with. But eh, if it doesn't happen.

All I'm sayin' is that, if a series is hugely important to Nintendo, playable reps shouldn't be considered solely on the basis of "who should fight."

*throws hands up in resignation* I've fought this fight before, and I'm not necessarily interested in doing it again.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
1. SNSD FTW
2. Opinions can change. And as I've said in the past, there is a way around that.
GG is delicious.

And YOU KNOW, I would like Nook in, I'm just going by what we know as of now, SOO, that means, things aren't looking too good. Opinions can change, I just am not holding my breath!

I hope you realize Breadbug, that Sakurai doesn't give many ****s about which series is "big" and blahblahblah. If he doesn't see it working, he's not going to do it. Kind of like how he didn't add them in Brawl.... And lol, I LOVE that Ridley interview, makes me laugh, AT ALL THE RIDLEY FANS. Mwahahaha

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am siding with Kuma... If this guy said he himself balanced every character himself up untill now then I dunno why you guys act butthurt for every negative comment about Sakurai. Try beating Meta Knight as Ganondorf instead...

:phone:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I missed this as well, so I hope it isn't too late to fill it out:

15 characters, 15 Franchises.
Rules:
  • Spread the characters as you please
  • You must have TWO shock/WTF characters (Like, Sheik/ZSS/PT and ROB/G&W)
  • You must have a new Weapon weidling character
  • A new heavy character
  • A new Light character
  • A character who brings a new gimmick (Peach, IC's, Diddy/Dixie, Olimar, ect)

Super Mario (1)
Toad
Yoshi Island/Story - X
Wario Ware/Land - X
Donkey Kong (2)
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Legend Of Zelda (1) Ghirahim
Kirby Series (1)
Bandana Dee
Pokemon (1) Victini
Metroid (1) Ridley
StarFox - x
F-Zero - x
Fire Emblem - x
Mother - X
Kid Icarus (1)
Palutena
Smaller Franchises (5)
Little Mac , Lip, Dillon, Balloon Fighter/Alice the Balloon Kid, Issac
Third Party (2)
Megaman, Slime

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
"Krystal who?"
Just remember, at the end of the day, anyone can find that Ridley quote, but you'll be hard pressed to find evidence of that. ;D

I'm pretty much banking on Krystal being in Smash4. I might as well just say that now. I'm betting she will be in.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'd say at least Asage would argue against Mewtwo if it where up to him vs Victini...

I'd argue it if he was in the way of Victini, but he isn't. I do want Mewtwo for SSB4, but I want him only if Lucario comes too. Mewtwo+Lucario or Lucario. As for Victini, he's a 5th gen rep, so the only fights in that department I'll take is 5th gen Pokemon. Zoroark, I've smashed way too many times. Keldeo and Genesect... Interestingly, I have yet to argue them. But Genesect isn't out yet, so my arguement on him: Undefined. Keldeo: Golden, sorry, but I'm not fighting as or with or against a 100% mlp-inspired kid horse.

But however, it'd be a losing fight if it were such. I like Victini more than anyone, except Lucario, but Mewtwo was PLANNED for Brawl, so hands down, no arguement there, with his popularity and such still blasting.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Just remember, at the end of the day, anyone can find that Ridley quote, but you'll be hard pressed to find evidence of that. ;D

I'm pretty much banking on Krystal being in Smash4. I might as well just say that now. I'm betting she will be in.
"Shorts is a *****."

Sakurai said it. I just can't find the interview.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
GG is delicious.

And YOU KNOW, I would like Nook in, I'm just going by what we know as of now, SOO, that means, things aren't looking too good. Opinions can change, I just am not holding my breath!

I hope you realize Breadbug, that Sakurai doesn't give many ****s about which series is "big" and blahblahblah. If he doesn't see it working, he's not going to do it. Kind of like how he didn't add them in Brawl.... And lol, I LOVE that Ridley interview, makes me laugh, AT ALL THE RIDLEY FANS. Mwahahaha
I think the bigness and blahblahblah do matter slightly... I mean, Pikmin was pretty big for Nintendo, and that had to play some role in including Olimar. I'm sure there were times when Sakurai was like, "This guy's a pain in the *** to make work." But there's no way you can't have Olimar. I mean, he's Olimar. The same might be said for Sonic. The entire game was delayed to add him because he was so popular. Then again, he was made known to be popular to Sakruai via poll.

I guess what I'm saying is that Sakurai takes into account, when in the preliminary stages of making a character, what type of weight the series carries. I mean, just the fact that the idea of a playable AC character came into his head (just to be shot down D:) has to say something about how he thinks about who should be playable.

Dear Sakurai:

An Animal Crossing character would be easy to make work. I've seen people who have the intellectual capacity of a grapefruit create decent movesets for one. Imagine what a team that was driven to make the best character they could can do.

Sincerely,
Dylan

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sorry Bread, I'm just not feelin' your groove, I don't think he saw Olimar that way. Olimar is just.. Olimar...

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Breadbug is now an armadillo.
I'm actually secretly rooting for Dillon (who I henceforth will refer to as "Dylan") to get super popular enough to be considered for Smash 4 so that a character that I share a name with is playable.

@Shorts Yeah, that argument is kinda dumb in retrospect. All I have left to do is close my eyes and wish real hard for Nook. The man's hilarious and charismatic; easily my favorite AC personality.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm actually secretly rooting for Dillon (who I henceforth will refer to as "Dylan") to get super popular enough to be considered for Smash 4 so that a character that I share a name with is playable.
"Who are you gonna play as?"
"Me."

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here is my thought on what we could see:

King K. Rool (In my mind Sakurai would probably tackle him first before Ridley.)
Little Mac (Makes sense)
Toad (Makes sense)
Palutena (We always have a girl in the reveal trailer. Placing my money on her.)
Mewtwo (Do I really need to say more?)

Slime :troll: (Japanese fanbase goes crazy and cannibalize monkeys while the Western fanbase is like "lolwut"?)

I don't know. Hopefully the trailer is as hype inducing as the Brawl one was. Do not think we will see anything at E3, but I am positive we will see a trailer this fall during Nintendo's annual Fall Summit.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Breadbug.

You know Kapp'n is the Strongest personality in AC.
I was really bummed when I found out he doesn't sing his trademark songs as a taxi or bus driver. They made me lol sooooo hard in AC for the GC.

I really do think that's my favorite AC, even though Wild World added a few new cool features. The original just suits me better. Also it has the cool sea-faring Kapp'n.

@Poppy I want to make a ragecomic about that...

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@breadbox
I don't think sakurai has trouble with a moveset, it's that he doesn't thing a character from a game where the most dangerous thing is getting stung by a scorpion would belong in a game amongst warriors like link or fighting dragons like Charizard.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@breadbox
I don't think sakurai has trouble with a moveset, it's that he doesn't thing a character from a game where the most dangerous thing is getting stung by a scorpion would belong in a game amongst warriors like link or fighting dragons like Charizard.

*deep breath* I said no debate and I meant no debate.

But I'll just say that the idea of characters in Smash Bros. isn't about who can fight. It can be argued, and the opinion that opposes mine is easily supported, but why would you want to restrict the roster like that? Think of all the playstyles that people would never consider just because the character comes from a non-fighty game.

Ice Climbers - Embellish their game all you want, but it's about climbing. Yeah, they hit stuff with hammers. Sometimes. They aren't warriors.

Game & Watch - Again, some people can grasp at straws as to why he "fights" in his game, but he's another that doesn't fit the stereotype.

R.O.B. - Yep.

Zelda - Doesn't fight in her games. Just sits there like a princess. 'Cause she is one.

Three of the four characters mentioned above are retros, but by the twisted "fighters only" mentality everyone has, retros who are nothing but retros (not like Pit) shouldn't have been included in the first place.

I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done .

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I now want to see Dillion in a full fledged western platform title.

C'mon Nintendo

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But GG is Korean? And they are the best ever. If I wanted to touch ladies, I would want to touch them. That's saying a lot.

Uhhh, I'm not comfortable with my children being exposed to unnatural hair colors. Palutena cannot be in. That's the devil's work.

Sorry Palutena, I actually like you, but Chrono has touched my supple nerves, and you're who I take it out on now.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
*deep breath* I said no debate and I meant no debate.

But I'll just say that the idea of characters in Smash Bros. isn't about who can fight. It can be argued, and the opinion that opposes mine is easily supported, but why would you want to restrict the roster like that? Think of all the playstyles that people would never consider just because the character comes from a non-fighty game.

Ice Climbers - Embellish their game all you want, but it's about climbing. Yeah, they hit stuff with hammers. Sometimes. They aren't warriors.

Game & Watch - Again, some people can grasp at straws as to why he "fights" in his game, but he's another that doesn't fit the stereotype.

R.O.B. - Yep.

Zelda - Doesn't fight in her games. Just sits there like a princess. 'Cause she is one.

Three of the four characters mentioned above are retros, but by the twisted "fighters only" mentality everyone has, retros who are nothing but retros (not like Pit) shouldn't have been included in the first place.

I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done I'm done .
I wouldn't really call it a debate it's more of a clarification of somewhat obscure phrasing but I digress. This next part might be considered debating but w/e: the difference is animal crossing has next to no violence in the game where as the games you listed do (excluding ROB). But you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done. So I'll drop it

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I wouldn't really call it a debate it's more of a clarification of somewhat obscure phrasing but I digress. This next part might be considered debating but w/e: the difference is animal crossing has next to no violence in the game where as the games you listed do (excluding ROB). But you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done you're done. So I'll drop it

I am done.

So I will not say that only the nature of one of the games (Zelda) is overwhelmingly based around violence. I will not say that they may have forms of violence, but the violence is not the central function of the game (the Ice Climbers climb; you could play that game without using the hammers). What little violence there is isn't what warrants their inclusion. It's the merit of their character's integral belonging to the Nintendo brand.

I will not say those things.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Man this thread moves fast.

I'm actually at home right now, maybe I'll up load the interview later. :)

Slime :troll: (Japanese fanbase goes crazy and cannibalize monkeys while the Western fanbase is like "lolwut"?)
That would be funny and unexpected.

Little Mac cannot be in Sm4sh because I am not comfortable with a white boxer in a fighting game.
Doc Louis confirmed?

Uhhh, I'm not comfortable with my children being exposed to unnatural hair colors. Palutena cannot be in. That's the devil's work.
Shortie has kids? Also Fire Emblem, Palutena and Medusa deconfirmed.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Am siding with Kuma... If this guy said he himself balanced every character himself up untill now then I dunno why you guys act butthurt for every negative comment about Sakurai. Try beating Meta Knight as Ganondorf instead...

I can care less who balances things long as they come out right but before you go talking like you know it all

Remember, Sakurai balanced Melee himself too. That game is way more balanced Match-up wise compared to Brawl.

Maybe it's due to the dedication he had to Melee unlike Brawl.

Read articles.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Little Mac cannot be in Sm4sh because I am not comfortable with a white boxer in a fighting game.
Racist on two different levels. Congrats.

That would be funny and unexpected.
Oh it would be beyond funny. It would be like Solid Snake all over again, except better. For starters, Japan would probably go insane. Though I cannot read Japanese hearing about some of their reactions would be priceless. Then on the flipside seeing the Western reaction would be priceless just the same. The Geno cult would probably commit mass suicide. The Cloud and Sora fanbase would all but evaporate. Average gamers would probably be saying "how the heck is that going to work?" While away behind a computer screen somewhere in the United States I will have the satisfaction of knowing I was ahead of my time. After I am done with my rounds of "I told you so" I will begin pondering what stage to expect. :p

D

Deleted member

Keldeo: Golden, sorry, but I'm not fighting as or with or against a 100% mlp-inspired kid horse.
Meh, Keldeo was merely a phase like Bad Box Art Mega Man and Krokorok. I'm willing to bet more on Meloetta, but I'll save that until it's officially revealed next year.

Unless someone can fully convince me on why Victini should be in. *hinthintwinkwinknudgenudge*

@Slime in Sm4sh: I'd love to see that, but according to the guy that's giving off information for the Playstation Title Fight, SE typically has a tight hold over their characters, and characters like Cloud (this was in response to someone asking if Cloud will be in the game) are pretty much "No".

Given the fact that the only time SE characters appeared in other titles because SE worked on them makes me see Slime as a no show.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Speaking of Cloud in Smash Bros.:

This lead to talk about collaborations, which of course, lead to talk of Solid Snake's appearance in the Wii version of Smash Brothers: "That was very surprising," said Nomura. "Cloud won't make an appearance?" asked Kojima. "We didn't get an offer," responded Nomura with a laugh.

:troll:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/716/716039p1.html

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Star: Well if it does happen, I will definitely help in the translations. ;)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Slime in Sm4sh: I'd love to see that, but according to the guy that's giving off information for the Playstation Title Fight, SE typically has a tight hold over their characters, and characters like Cloud (this was in response to someone asking if Cloud will be in the game) are pretty much "No".

Given the fact that the only time SE characters appeared in other titles because SE worked on them makes me see Slime as a no show.
That is true, but you never know with Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy I get, but Nintendo and Square Enix have almost had this joint relationship when it comes to the Dragon Quest series. In the West Nintendo pretty much is responsible for advertising and publishing the games. If Square Enix wanted to both promote the Dragon Quest series in the West and do something to appease fans it could happen. Believe me, no company is stupid to overlook how much of a "Midas touch" the Smash series has in regards to introducing series. Why do you think so many random third party developers would love to see their characters in Smash Bros? Sure, there is the fun aspect, but it also is a business prospect.

If Nintendo and or Square Enix wanted to I am sure they could. One difference with the Dragon Quest series is the Enix branch within the overall company of SquareEnix still has a lot of influence over their brand.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Meh, Keldeo was merely a phase like Bad Box Art Mega Man and Krokorok. I'm willing to bet more on Meloetta, but I'll save that until it's officially revealed next year.

Unless someone can fully convince me on why Victini should be in. *hinthintwinkwinknudgenudge*
Oh I see... Okay.

Urg... it's 11:48 here... I don't wanna do this right now, so I'll just give you bullet-form reasonings:

• Has two combo movies, which is rare. (Mewtwo and Lucario had movies)
  • Is favorited by the head of Game Freak. Also, fun fact: His favorite Pokemon is also Pichu.
  • Lucario's popularity is higher than Zoroarks, so fans wouldn't want to see Lucario get replaced by Zoroark, and it's highly improbable that Mewtwo, Lucario, and Zoroark would get in together.
  • Victini's body style and typing can lead to a very unique character. He's also the only Pokemon that can learn three event moves that are signature to the Main Legendaries (Fusion Bolt/Flare, Searing Shot, and V-Create).
  • Being the mascot of the 5th generation.

The reasons why I listed Movies is because I see that the Pokemon that've been chosen have some sort of huge movie appearence, mainly speaking Mewtwo, Lucario, Zoroark, and Victini, if you were wondering.

I'm very tired... I'll get back to you tomarrow, maybe Golden.

EDIT: Might as well add this:

Popularity: Zoroark=Victini. The head designer likes Victini, but Japan loves the **** out of Zoroark. Not for long... :smirk:

Movie appearences: Zoroark<Victini. Obviously with that double combo video, Victini gets ahead of Zoroark merely of a better storyline and the introduction of Legendaries.

Relevancy: Zoroark<Victini. His movies came later than Zoroark, and Zoroark's last big boom was an event giving him a move that's weaker than hell: Snarl. Not many people liked that, due to being able to obtain the TM via Celebi event. Victini knew Reshy/Zekey's Fusion moves and his own, V-Create, along with Searing Shot.

D

Deleted member

Oh, never mind what I said.
It wasn't Paul Gale that said it; it was a random user that responded.

I see Slime easily now.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh, never mind what I said.
It wasn't Paul Gale that said it; it was a random user that responded.

I see Slime easily now.
One other note about Nintendo's relationship with the DQ series. Nintendo (more specifically Intelligent Systems) actually developed a Dragon Quest game, Dragon Quest Wars. This in and of itself does not prove anything beyond just showing Nintendo's level of investment in this series. That is why I have believed that if we were to get a Square character it will be from Dragon Quest. At the end of the day, however, nothing is certain. Just my musings and thoughts.

D

Deleted member

Oh I see... Okay.

Urg... it's 11:48 here... I don't wanna do this right now, so I'll just give you bullet-form reasonings:

• Has two combo movies, which is rare. (Mewtwo and Lucario had movies) Bear in mind, Victini shares this with Reshiram and Zekrom, who are more important to B/W. Furthermore, it is not the only Legendary to get more than one movie, combo or not.
  • Is favorited by the head of Game Freak. Also, fun fact: His favorite Pokemon is also Pichu. I can see him try to persuade Sakurai to include him for that reason, but at the same time, Masuda favoring Pichu in the past wasn't why Pichu was in Melee.
  • Lucario's popularity is higher than Zoroarks, so fans wouldn't want to see Lucario get replaced by Zoroark, and it's highly improbable that Mewtwo, Lucario, and Zoroark would get in together.I fail to see how this is improbable. People use the "similar body type" excuse all the time, but Victini suffers the same problem. It's pretty much Pikachu/Pichu without a tail, and intead, longer arms.
  • Victini's body style and typing can lead to a very unique character. He's also the only Pokemon that can learn three event moves that are signature to the Main Legendaries (Fusion Bolt/Flare, Searing Shot, and V-Create).1. I already covered the body issue, which is heavily flawed. 2. Are you forgetting the event Arceus that knew not only it's signature Judgement, but Dialga's Roar of Time, Palkia's Spacial Rend, and Giratina's Shadow Force? Also, that's only two signature moves from main Legendaries. Arceus had THREE. At the same time, there was the event Darkrai that knew Roar of Time and Spacial Rend as well. This would make Victini the third Pokemon that uses signature moves of a "main" Legendary. 3. Due to the Rayquaza with V-Create, the only move that no other Pokemon can learn that Victini has is Searing Shot.
  • Being the mascot of the 5th generation.Hardly. That's giving Vic too much credit. It's clear that Reshiram and Zekrom are the mascots of the 5th Generation at this point.

The reasons why I listed Movies is because I see that the Pokemon that've been chosen have some sort of huge movie appearence, mainly speaking Mewtwo, Lucario, Zoroark, and Victini, if you were wondering.
Responses in red. I'm not trying to fight, just have a good debate.

Though we should probably take it to PMs, so that we don't flood the thread with Victini talk and make the bear mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom