• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I see myself as completely neutral as to whether Snake and Sonic should stay. On one hand, Snake added a lot to Brawl with his fighting style (I personally would've included the Claymore mine somewhere in his standard [A-button] moveset though). Sonic and Mario are a classic rivalry, and people always like to see Mario fight Sonic. Against keeping them, Snake and Sonic are officially designated as "guest characters". I don't know what it means as a video game term, but when I think of "guests," I always think of people who are somewhere only temporarily, for a short time.

And I was disheartened when Ridley and K. Rool failed to make the playable roster in Brawl, but finding Toon Link, Lucas, Snake, and Sonic playable instead of them, along with Wolf being a 3rd iteration of Fox's moveset, cut my anticipation of Brawl by 40-50%, but I still anticipated it hotly enough, and personally found it the best of the 3 seasons of Smash Bros when I finally played it (the professional-critical consensus agrees to some extent), but I admit there IS room for improvement in season 4. I can remember how some people wanted to play as Blaziken, with most of these people saying he should be the new C. Falcon clone. I can even remember hearing people suggest Baby Mario as a playable character! And I can't decide if he or Tingle would be worse ideas for playable characters!

As for Meowth, I've always found something... dull... about him. It was my intuition speaking there, so it would take too long to put it into words. The mainstream games are the canon, and I don't know what role Meowth played in the Red-Green-Bleu trilogy... and frankly I don't care anymore. I'd side with Mewtwo over Meowth because to hear me tell it, Mewtwo's the most prominent antagonist of all the Pokemon, similar to King DeDeDe to the Kirby series. Why else would Mewtwo and Mew be the last two of the first 151?

Also, where do you go to get your personal roster made?

EDIT: I was convinced Pokemon Yellow was just a 4th version of Pokemon Red, Green, and Bleu, except starting with Pikachu instead of Charmander, Bulbasaur, or Squirtle. I guess not.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Has anyone ever Played muramasa? Great wii game and while it isn't exactly huge or deserving I think it would make fOr an AMAZING stage and the characters would definitely fit really well since they're skinny luigi sized Sword fighters with great character design.

:phone:
This would work great as Takamaru's stage.

By the way, Pokemon Yellow is based on the anime. If you said Red/Blue/Green/Yellow are canon, then you're saying Team Rocket and Meowth are canon as well. ;)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Sonic and SEGA All-Star Racing 2? Awesome. I love the first one, what with Billy Hatcher and Opa-Opa.

Let's see... I'd like to see... NiGHTs(who was supposed to be in the first one), a Nintendo exclusive(aka Mario), Banjo and Kazooie on ALL systems(C'MON MICROSOFT), Metal Sonic from the get-go(instead of DLC), and keeping everyone from the first game.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A Takamaru stage?

Taken from the final step in journey of the samurai apprentice Takamaru, it's the mysterious Murasame Castle!

Over all it's a pretty simple stage. As fighting takes place a top the highest balconey and roof of the castle.

The only main gimake is that occationally (if item's are turned on) friendly Tanookis will appear to aid fighters by dropping items if attacked. Also occasionally, the final boss, the Murasame Statue, itself will blast a hole in the center of the stage. However, just like the Metal Gears it does nothing but look on mensisingly.

Other then that it's a pretty atmospheric stage; it glows an eerie purple color and lightning repeatly strikes the top of the castle in the background. Also within the background one may see the 4 beginning castles Takamaru must visit can also be sited each all growing their own eerie colors. Along with Ninja's who jump around the stage's background.

Stage Name: Murasame Castle
Stage Icon: Japanese Castle

Stage Example:

x_______x
/xxxxxxxxx\
x________x

Tracks:
Nazo no Murasamejo - Main Theme - Douchuumen
Nazo no Murasamejo - Castle Theme
Nazo no Murasamejo - Murasame's Theme (Final Boss)
Famicom Detective Club Part II - Title Theme
Kirby's Adventure - Forest Area
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Summoning Dance
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Violet Sky
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages - Tarm Ruins
StarTropics II: Zoda's Revenge - Main Dungeon
Shin Onigashima - Shin Onigashima (Brawl)
Nazo no Murasamejo - Douchuumen (Original) (Brawl)
Mega Man 6 - Yamato Man (If MM is in)

Credit also goes to Star for helping me out with the music. ;)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm confused on how a 3D fighter stance would work in smash. I know a lot about them (I play a lot of soul calibur) I just don't know how'd it work.
I've got it! New gameplay mechanic... dodge attacks!

While doing the side dodge (Shield + Left or Right), press the A button to do a Dodge Attack!

yani

Smash Lord
Sonic & SEGA Racing is great. It would be smart to release it as a Wii-U launch so it won't have to compete with Mario Kart later on.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Are you saying they should make a stage for takamaru from muramasa the demon blade for wii? I'm talking about this game.

No, what I meant is that Takamaru's stage should take cues from that Murasama game... I have that game, BTW... and I thought the environment and the atmosphere would be ideal for Takamaru's stage.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
No, what I meant is that Takamaru's stage should take cues from that Murasama game... I have that game, BTW... and I thought the environment and the atmosphere would be ideal for Takamaru's stage.

Oh I see, yeah your right. I thought you were confused because the person below you made a stage for takamura called murasame and I thought that was being confused with muramasa. But yeah, the art work is great in that game and could work really well for a stage.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Roy:
100 votes he was 16th most requested newcomer
300 votes he was 15th most requested
400 votes, he was 14th most requested

while, inversely,

Chrome:
100 votes he was the 24th most requested newcomer
300 votes, he dropped to 32nd most requested newcomer
400 votes, he dropped FURTHER to 38th most requested newcomer

Chrome at one point was in the higher end of D tier, but fell all the way to the high end of E tier, which is a significant drop. While we have Roy, slowly climbing the ladder.

And for fun, Caeda:
100 votes was ranked 30th most requested newcomer
300 votes she rose to 22nd most requested
400 votes she dropped back to 30th most requested

Every other FE character is E tier and F tier. With Celice tied with two others for least voted on character.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Xiao, Hwo, and possibly Lei in SFxTK should give us a pretty good idea how a Smash version could work. Of course, we'd lose most if not all the sidestepping moves.

Then there's MvC3 Jill.

Either way, it's something I wouldn't mind testing out myself if I had the time and resources.
So you mean like, down b -> go into stance, a = attack, b = different attack, y or x = jump attack, z = special grab, r or l = cancel stance. I gotcha now.

I've got it! New gameplay mechanic... dodge attacks!

While doing the side dodge (Shield + Left or Right), press the A button to do a Dodge Attack!

Sounds like spot dodging.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So you mean like, down b -> go into stance, a = attack, b = different attack, y or x = jump attack, z = special grab, r or l = cancel stance. I gotcha now.
Yeah, but not necessarily that simple depending on the character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Arcandenik means that you can attack while doing the Spot Dodge, I believe.

And nah, the Spot Dodge and the Air Dodge are 3-D enough for this game.

Not a fan of stances either. They make it severely more complex than what Smash is supposed to be.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yeah, but not necessarily that simple depending on the character.
That's how simple it would have to be.. because it's smash. Maybe they'd do directions but then the character would have like 16 more specials than everyone else.

Arcandenik means that you can attack while doing the Spot Dodge, I believe.
Thanks for pointing that out. That would be weird but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's how simple it would have to be.. because it's smash. Maybe they'd do directions but then the character would have like 16 more specials than everyone else.
Stanception?

The most I was thinking of was a subset of specials and maybe a normal or two.

And I'm a little confused here. You say it should be simple, yet I know you hate Brawl and love Melee's depth. Are you talking execution here or something?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Long Responses...

Pac-Man is a stretch, seeming how he'll be in Street Fighter vs. Tekken (apparently).
Pac-Man is on the short list of the biggest characters in gaming, along with Mario, Donkey Kong, and Sonic. Plus he's already appeared in two arcade Mario Kart games, and he is amongst Shigeru Miyamoto's favorite video game characters. And if anything, appearing in a fighting game proves that Pac-Man can fight.
Who the heck is Andy?
Andy is the main character of Advance Wars 1 and 2, which both are excellent strategic RPGs made by Nintendo.
I'd hate to nitpick especially since I agree you, but pretty much every Mario game is mainstream nowadays, spin-off or main series

I think you mean just the main series of games
The thing is that the spin-off games are largely forgotten after 5 years, while we tend to remember the canon games. Heck, I remember entire worlds of most canon Mario games, whereas I can't remember anything from Mario Party 4, the original Mario Tennis (other than it introducing Walu-loser), or Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Also, Donkey Kong is NO ****ing Mario spin off series damn it.
Mario and Donkey Kong used to be the same series, until they got a divorce. As you all know, they got a divorce because Mario was cheating on Paulina with Peach, and Donkey Kong was too old and became Cranky (literally) so everyone got tired of him. :troll: :chuckle:
Biased opinion is biased. You are saying that Meowth would be a boring character because all he does is scratch and throw coins. That's like saying Pikachu is boring because all he does is generate electricity... or Jigglypuff is boring because all she does is float and sing. Come on now...

Here's my Meowth moveset I made back in Summer 2011.
Everyone's opinion is biased, including yours. That is like saying the color purple is violet.

I read your moveset multiple times, and you have THREE PAY DAYS!!! That is terribly boring. That is honestly why I stopped being neutral on Meowth, and I put a big fat "no" in my opinion on him. That really shows how limited Meowth is moveset-wise (in terms of what could be original). What Jigglypuff does (various slaps and hits that make for freaking great combos) and Pikachu (electric attacks and quick speed; no one else uses electric attacks in smash) is much, much better. What you described with your Meowth moveset is based around gimmicks or similar moves (including the specials; I can't think of a character who has 2 of their special attacks that are that similar, let alone 3).

What Lucario did in Brawl was incredibly unique, entertaining, and original, and it made me desperately for him to return. I thought I would only support him as a one-off character, but his Brawl design is one of the few designs I actually thought was near-perfect in Brawl. That is why I say "Lucario > Meowth" without any hesitation.

On the flip side, part of me want Meta Knight gone thanks to him being terribly designed and broken. If he was gone honestly, I wouldn't care too much.
Some Pokemon are wanted or unwanted.... some people are expecting certain Pokemon to show up... and some people are not expecting certain Pokemon to show up... which Pokemon fits one of these four categories?

Wanted/Expected - Mewtwo
Wanted/Unexpected - Meowth, Deoxys
Unwanted/Expected - Zoroark, Pichu
Unwanted/Unexpected - most of the 649 Pokemon not in Smash

...at least that's how I see it.
Biased opinion is biased. I don't see any statistics on this that prove this. Also, there is a huge difference between being "liked" in Pokémon and "wanted" as a playable (Pokémon) character in smash bros. That is what you are mixing up here.
As for scrapping the bottom of the barrel? No, I disagree with this assessment. We have plenty of NINTENDO characters we can add in Smash without scrapping the bottom of the barrel and without resorting to third party support. Take a good look here...

[COLLAPSE="My response to each of those characters"]
  • Kiddy is not quite the bottom of the barrel, but pretty close to it.
  • Dixie Kong is near the top of the barrel. She's like a fresh banana.
  • Impa has had minor roles in both Oracle Zelda games, Ocarina of Time, and Skyward Sword. That's it. By that measure, we should get Vatti, who was the villain in 3 Zelda games.
  • Meowth is a Pokémon, which is a separate category.
  • Little Mac is well-received due to his game being an instant classic. There was a noticeable fanbase that wanted him playable in Brawl.
  • Takamaru and Starfy, while not bottom of the barrel characters, are not necessarily atop everyone's most wanted character list (although they would be fun and unique to play as).
  • Toad is universally known, but not necessarily wanted. He is, in a way, kind of the best/worst of both the bottom and top of the barrel.
  • Ridley is know by more serious and devoted smash and Metroid fans, and is wanted nearly universally amongst us.
  • K. Rool is at the top of the barrel.
  • Tingle is nearly universally hated, and has disappeared from the Zelda series for about 6-8 years. His last appearance on a "classic" Zelda game was The Wind Waker 9 years ago. From what I can gather, Tingle is a dead character in the Zelda franchise like The Old Man and Link's Uncle before him.
  • Zoroark is a recent Pokémon, and would be a prime candidate for Brawl. The same goes for Victini.
  • I'm withholding my opinions on Medusa and Paletuna until Kid Icarus: Uprising comes out.
  • King Hippo is a minor boss in a minor franchise.
  • The Duck Hunt Dog doesn't do anything. Just... no. That joke got old in 2006.
  • Miis are both universally known, hated, and liked as a smash bros playable character prospect. Opinions on Miis' on that matter are really diverse.
  • Waddle Dee is a common enemy in Kirby. Bandana Dee is a recent minor character. If Bandana Dee has bigger roles in the franchise, then sure, it could definitely be playable.
  • Krom we still don't know much about, but having 2 playable Lords in his game (I think) hurts his chances. We will have to wait to formulate a set opinion on him.
[/COLLAPSE]

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why do people want this "Krom" when we don't know much about him.

His game hasn't even been released yet.

Maybe he could be expected, but wanted?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Stanception?

The most I was thinking of was a subset of specials and maybe a normal or two.

And I'm a little confused here. You say it should be simple, yet I know you hate Brawl and love Melee's depth. Are you talking execution here or something?
I would like it to be complex, but EVERYONE else including the staff and casuals would want it to be simple.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would like it to be complex, but EVERYONE else including the staff and casuals would want it to be simple.
At this point, I don't even know what will happen. At most, I've seen stuff about encouraging tutoring, but nothing about simplifying the game or anything.

Hopefully, recent trends in other fighting games might cause a change in opinion. I always thought, since Melee, that the series could go far, that's one reason why I was disappointed with Brawl.

@Iblis
Don't count on it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Consider this... did Sakurai ever mention R.O.B. in any context before Brawl was even announced? Nope, but that didn't keep R.O.B. from getting in Brawl. BTW, have you read the Ducks trophy in Melee? It mentioned the dog and described him as slightly clamorous (a reference to the dog laughing like a troll).
Yes, but that doesn't mean squat. Sakurai didn't mention Ness before Smash 64 was released did he=??? Or Game and Watch before Melee=???

The difference between Meowth and R.O.B. is staggering. Meowth is an important Pokémon in the anime. I'll give Meowth that. R.O.B. is a huge part of why the NES and Nintendo was/is successful in North America, South America, and Europe. In other words, without R.O.B., none of us would know what a "Meowth is." Plus, Meowth got popular solely because of the Pokémon anime (and his character being the primary source of humor on the show). That is also why Meowth remains relevant.
Why do people want this "Krom" when we don't know much about him.

His game hasn't even been released yet.

Maybe he could be expected, but wanted?
This sums up my thoughts exactly. Once his game is released, then we may judge him. At least with Medusa and Paletuna, we can judge them from their two previous Kid Icarus games, and we can also judge Paletuna based on her appearance in Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm just saying to not get your hopes up.

And by the way, when I think about simplicity, I look for efficiency and inefficiency in inputs and anything that might be needlessly difficult.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ xIblisx
Yes, sadly people are jumping on the pro and anti-Chrome/Krom bandwagon already (at least, that is what I think you made that post about). I can understand why people do it if they really like Roy or Ike or another Lord they think stands a chance, but so far it has just been absolutely silly and ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with predicting him being playable in the next smash bros, but saying he should/shouldn't be playable is stupid (although I understand why some people don't want a 3rd blue-haired swordsman).
Well there's Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Ghost Babel, Twin Snakes, and recently, Snake Eater 3DS. So, yeah, Snake has Ninty background repertoire.
Woaw, that is good memory (remembering Ghost Babel; I beat it once I think). However, I don't recall Metal Gear 2 every being on a Nintendo console.
*looks it up*
It wasn't on the NES/Famicom or Super Nintendo/Super Famicom, but it was on the Wii's Virtual Console. Again, good memory.
I've probably said it before, but I want this Pokemon Snap music in Sm4sh.
I would love to see anything from Pokémon Snap be in Smash Bros. I don't understand how nothing from Pokémon Snap has gotten into Smash Bros, especially since Sakurai made that friggen underrated N64 gem (which by the way, needs a proper, longer, more complex sequel that still is simple, fun, and unique to play).

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Oh no John I left during the Impa era.

Question, does the Mario/Pokemon debates still happen?

Another one. WTF do you *****s do to make SSBF bounce out?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wouldn't the C-stick be efficent then?

and okay, I'll stick around for a little I think.
Depends on what mechanics are available. I always thought the C-Stick should be a handicap, not something integral to high level play. Maybe making a C-Stick attack weaker or something could be possible.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm just saying to not get your hopes up.

And by the way, when I think about simplicity, I look for efficiency and inefficiency in inputs and anything that might be needlessly difficult.
I always see where you coming from, but then you have my viewpoint. I don't like when things are needlessly easy. Then the games gets boring really fast. Like Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's all around in Smash High Level - Top level play though.
I know. It's my opinion that it shouldn't be. I'd rather see the game designed where it's an execution assist, not the only way to execute something. That's how I viewed it in the Melee days. Mind you, I was a casual player.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's what you think. Meowth got at least two "Meowth for Smash 4" pages on Facebook (with each page having about 70-80 supporters) and there are many videos supporting Meowth on YouTube... Duck Hunt Dog got about 1,000 supporters on Facebook. Tingle got plenty of support on YouTube, too. Or are you gonna deny all that and claim that I made all those pro-Tingle videos because I am the only one who actively supports him? :rolleyes:
By comparison, MILLIONS openly supported Sonic in Brawl. Heck, MILLIONS would support Mewtwo or Mega Man for Smash Wii U and 3DS. It's like comparing a fairly large nation of fans to a cute little village size support you just listed. Or, in other words, the New York Yankees and one of their AA minor league teams.
Nobody probably cares, but sega just announced sonic and sega all star racing 2 a few minutes ago. They didn't say what platform, but they hinted towards wii u and Ps vita.
I remember that terrible Sonic Racing game, lulz. :awesome:
I never played Sega All-Star Racing. Is it any good=??? (in comparison to Mario Kart=???)
Oh no John I left during the Impa era.
I don't blame you, but that has cooled down... mostly.
Question, does the Mario/Pokemon debates still happen?
Yes (mostly to the Pokémon part), but they are a lot... smoother. We don't see as many emotional outbreaks anymore, especially on Mario. Many of the Mario debates still have people bringing up how good Waluigi's chances are (which as most of us know, including the Waluigi fans, is a rather silly thing to say).
Another one. WTF do you *****s do to make SSBF bounce out?
Diddy Kong brought up Impa too much, which made him temporarily leave. Then he comes he, posts that he "gives up" because he believes he sees that Victini's chances are zilch. I think some of his polls gave Zoroark a the edge over Victini, which really upset him. From what I gather, SSBF thought that Zoroark is a "lock" for Smash Wii U and 3DS.

This is yet another example of people putting (too much) emotional attachment into a character, and letting it get the best of them I think. This has happened to me, though (I am in no way condoning SSBF).

I am fairly confident SSBF will come to his senses and come back.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
If you by assising to make things more accessable then yes it is.

You can't Fair and move back at the same time without Cstick.

Sadface@SSBF story V___V

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Roy:
100 votes he was 16th most requested newcomer
300 votes he was 15th most requested
400 votes, he was 14th most requested

while, inversely,

Chrome:
100 votes he was the 24th most requested newcomer
300 votes, he dropped to 32nd most requested newcomer
400 votes, he dropped FURTHER to 38th most requested newcomer

Chrome at one point was in the higher end of D tier, but fell all the way to the high end of E tier, which is a significant drop. While we have Roy, slowly climbing the ladder.

And for fun, Caeda:
100 votes was ranked 30th most requested newcomer
300 votes she rose to 22nd most requested
400 votes she dropped back to 30th most requested

Every other FE character is E tier and F tier. With Celice tied with two others for least voted on character.
This is actually pretty interesting. Roy is consistently getting similar amounts of votes, and is probably slowly rising because of people who's favorite smash bros game was Melee who liked Roy in that game. I think Roy's popularity until he is confirmed or unconfirmed in the next smash bros game is going to remain pretty constant.

As for Chrome/Krom, I think we will get an accurate view on him when his game is released in Japan, and even more so when his game is released internationally.
Sadface@SSBF story V___V
Like I said, I am confident he will return in due time. The kid's still young and in high school, and I am confident he will prove himself right yet again and come back to us. ;)

Plus...
... we do need...
AN UNDER AGED SACRIFICE!!!
*Starts doing my cultish sounding Smash 64/Melee/Brawl themed chant as I start a giant fire*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ETWIST
I see where you're coming from. That's why there needs to be a balance in risk and reward. Even though I don't play it much, I do love how BlazBlue scales heavily for starting a combo with an A attack, unlike the Capcom games.

@Iblis
Again, it depends on what's available for mechanics and physics properties. For example, if you were required to commit fully to every jump (probably wouldn't work for this game), you could do FAir while jumping back and keeping the momentum.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
That would suck fully committing to a direction when you jump. At least in Smash.

Wait, SSBF is in HS too? Da hell, I thought he was older than me LOL

D

Deleted member

Yes (mostly to the Pokémon part), but they are a lot... smoother. We don't see as many emotional outbreaks anymore, especially on Mario. Many of the Mario debates still have people bringing up how good Waluigi's chances are (which as most of us know, including the Waluigi fans, is a rather silly thing to say).
The only arguments I've seen are that he wasn't in any platforming title, which honestly doesn't matter, and that he's generally disliked (but nowhere near has a hatebase like Tingle does), which actually is a legitmate argument.
People try to argue over whether he "deserves" the spot more than others, which, honestly, he doesn't, but deservingness doesn't apply.

However, when it all comes down to it, Waluigi doesn't have any worse of a chance than Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario.
And even while Toad is most deserving, Sakurai had stated that he couldn't picture Toad as a fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom