• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Random attacks? Personally I'm fine with them, but it does depend on how they're excuted.

BTW, I'm betting that Bandana Dee will be added to King Dedede's F-Special.
I wouldn't mind him being playable.

And yeah, as long as they're balanced like the current ones are, it's good.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
On another topic, a lot of the special intros for Street Fighter X Tekken have been put up. We've talked about matchup specific intros, but what about this kind of treatment for team matches?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bI4PVXGiiw&feature=player_embedded#!
I got a better idea. Let's not copy SF at all and win fighting game of the year again :smirk::smirk::smirk:

Tbh, I've seen alot of people trying to enhance SSB4 to an extent of copying other games. Why? There's no need. Just improve it from what you can expect it to do. SSB having SF-style fighting mechanics would break what SSB's style truely is, which is why I like the Melee to Brawl movement.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I got a better idea. Let's not copy SF at all and win fighting game of the year again :smirk::smirk::smirk:
Quoted for truth.

Time for my latest Yu-Gi-Oh quote.

"I don't think Tsukuyomi's manliness will satisfy you. No matter how many times he flips you over."

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Tbh, I've seen alot of people trying to enhance SSB4 to an extent of copying other games. Why? There's no need. Just improve it from what you can expect it to do. SSB having SF-style fighting mechanics would break what SSB's style truely is, which is why I like the Melee to Brawl movement.

This so much.

I loved Street Fighter back in the 90's. What happened after the 90's? Super Smash Bros. happened, and I never liked Street Fighter as much again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Lol, how is introducing battle intros copying Street Fighter

:phone:
If we're talking about what happens in 64 and Brawl when they arrive, it's not a big deal. Hell, we have them in Single Player.

I don't mind those, since they have no effect on gameplay, and maybe only story. That, and the characters just don't talk, and probably never will with how Sakurai does it.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Lol, how is introducing battle intros copying Street Fighter

It's not so much as copying battle intros. It's more of the fact that the idea is inspired by SF, not saying that is bad, but it seems some of you like to make it as if SF is SSB's big brother.

I loved Street Fighter back in the 90's. What happened after the 90's? Super Smash Bros. happened, and I never liked Street Fighter as much again.
Eh, after Pac Man and Megaman came to the newest game, I laughed at their failure. Sorry, Mega Man.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Eh, after Pac Man and Megaman came to the newest game, I laughed at their failure. Sorry, Mega Man.
Capcom's trolling the fanbase is another issue for another day. Gameplay wise, Street Fighter itself isn't half as much fun as any SSB IMO.

Though I heard the chosen Megaman design was Inafune's doing.. back when Megaman Legends 3 was still not cancelled.

P.S. I haven't played any Pacworld or anything, but I don't find anything wrong with Pac-man. It would've been VERY typical of Capcom to include Pacman in his actual size as a fighter... Gladly it seems NAMCO cares a bit more about character balance, and made him taller through a mecha of some sort.

P.S.2 Just recalled YODA from SCIV. I take my "Namco cares a bit more about balance" remark back.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
It isn't really just inspired by SF, plenty of other fighting games have battle intros. It'd be the same thing as saying Smash copied Mortal Kombat if it introduced character endings in Classic Mode; that isn't really true as fighting game series other than MK have them

It's not a big deal, anyway, as it doesn't affect gameplay

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It isn't really just inspired by SF, plenty of other fighting games have battle intros. It'd be the same thing as saying Smash copied Mortal Kombat if it introduced character endings in Classic Mode; that isn't really true as fighting game series other than MK have them

It's not a big deal, anyway, as it doesn't affect gameplay

Don't they already have battle intros as is?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
P.S.2 Just recalled YODA from SCIV. I take my "Namco cares a bit more about balance" remark back.
You mention Yoda yet you don't mention this:

What the heck is wrong with you?

@asage
Name one time when Street Fighter and Smash were released in the same year on consoles, or even any big name fighting game franchise for that matter. I still find it funny you and others refer strictly to Street Fighter yet the mechanics I've mentioned are only not exclusively Street Fighter, but don't even exist in that series. It took until 2008/9 for a character to be able to run, 2010 to have a stat boosting character, and 2011 to have a character who can air dash.

I know this for a fact. If I were to never state the origins of these mechanics, you guys would probably be more open to it. Drop the prejudice.

The intros are more like entrances than, say, the two talking to each other which you see in other fighting games. I don't see Chun-Li doing a spinning bird kick from the side while coming in and Guile doesn't jump off his plane or anything.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
More character interaction is desirable. Especially character specific interactions. Who wouldn't want to see Mario and Link brofist or something. I don't think the beginning or ending of matches is where that should take place, however. Would seem impractical to pull off given the nature of things. Especially for the start of matches.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@asage
Name one time when Street Fighter and Smash were released in the same year on consoles. I still find it funny you and others refer strictly to Street Fighter yet the mechanics I've mentioned are only not exclusively Street Fighter, but don't even exist in that series. It took until 2008/9 for a character to be able to run, 2010 to have a stat boosting character, and 2011 to have a character who can air dash.

I know this for a fact. If I were to never state the origins of these mechanics, you guys would probably be more open to it. Drop the prejudice.
Hmm, funny you mention the mechanics (I call it SF instead of game mechanics because it's faster ;)). Did SSB's mechanics copy off anyone? No. You got to realize that the gameplay mechanics of Smash Bros is fine. SSB is a huge series, which has characters more popular than what other fighter series have.
If you say no, then why are you here?
The game does not require such unwelcomed fighting-styles, and many SSB players will leave if the change were to occur.

As for fighting evolution, it's useless to even mention because SF, MC, and others who use the similar game mechanics don't use SSB's game mechanics, therefore, they too had all the reason to make such mistakes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
More character interaction is desirable. Especially character specific interactions. Who wouldn't want to see Mario and Link brofist or something. I don't think the beginning or ending of matches is where that should take place, however. Would seem impractical to pull off given the nature of things. Especially for the start of matches.
It would depend on how the start of each match. If you were limited to the four seconds like in the past, it wouldn't work and each custom intro would feel short handed. One thing, though, is to do the intros as suggested and leave it where the announcer does the countdown. Nothing would change except for presentation.

Hmm, funny you mention the mechanics (I call it SF instead of game mechanics because it's faster ;)). Did SSB's mechanics copy off anyone? No. You got to realize that the gameplay mechanics of Smash Bros is fine. SSB is a huge series, which has characters more popular than what other fighter series have.
If you say no, then why are you here?
The game does not require such unwelcomed fighting-styles, and many SSB players will leave if the change were to occur.

As for fighting evolution, it's useless to even mention because SF, MC, and others who use the similar game mechanics don't use SSB's game mechanics, therefore, they too had all the reason to make such mistakes.
It's obvious to anyone familiar with Nintendo games that Smash Bros. uses a platformer base, particularly Kirby, for its design while using simplified commands for specials. It's nothing too original. What's nice about the design is how open ended it is in possibilities.

Of course people are going to leave because of change, that's how people are, but not everyone leaves and you can get even more people interested. At the same time, people want change, but they never know exactly what they want. I'm willing to bet that if Sm4sh is to play exactly like Brawl but with new characters, you guys would probably **** on it for not doing anything new.

And have you ever heard of a thing called genres? Those games you mentioned may have similar controls, but they play nothing alike as I've said thousands of times. Are you gonna tell me Mario and Kirby are identical in design? Or even Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem which is probably a better comparison.

Oh, and I like how you skipped my first question in the last post. Guess you couldn't come up with a counter argument on that one.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Time to unveil my secret roster-ish project.

[COLLAPSE="S_R"]

Hopefully everyone can make out each one. If you cannot just ask me and I'll list which ones are which. The picture is fuzzy due to uploading. I may upload each icon individually down the road.[/COLLAPSE]

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Of course people are going to leave because of change, that's how people are, but not everyone leaves and you can get even more people interested. At the same time, people want change, but they never know exactly what they want. I'm willing to bet that if Sm4sh is to play exactly like Brawl but with new characters, you guys would probably **** on it for not doing anything new.

Those games you mentioned may have similar controls, but they play nothing alike as I've said thousands of times.
Pretty much hit the nail on the coffin with these parts

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Making it copy every single traditional fighter won't get tons more people. This game is heavily accessible to all players, and is about the characters the most, not the game mechanics. It's a platformer fighter, for one thing.

The formula is not broken either, if it was, it wouldn't be very popular, now would it? Even though Brawl is often regarded as having horrible changes, it's still popular as hell and still sells. Meters and crap? Those are in just about every traditional fighter now. Putting those in just caters to the masses and prevents it from being unique. I'm more interested in uniqueness. I enjoy it because of the plethora of characters, not the mechanics. Those are just icing on the cake.

Stocks, Time, Bonus, etc. just aren't a part of the other games, and that's what separates the two. It needs absolutely nothing different gameplay-wise than it already is. There are things that can be used more. We've had Air Throws before with Captain Falcon as is. That'd addable, sure. But meters just start to throw away what made it unique. And a lot of other crap does too.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

[COLLAPSE="S_R"]

Hopefully everyone can make out each one. If you cannot just ask me and I'll list which ones are which. The picture is fuzzy due to uploading. I may upload each icon individually down the road.[/COLLAPSE]
Is that a trend I set? :troll:

The... 7th, 11th, 20th through 23rd, 26th, and 30th stages I don't recognize. :I

Probably should have put NAMES. BD

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
...Oh, and I like how you skipped my first question in the last post. Guess you couldn't come up with a counter argument on that one.
Actually, it was too dumb to even answer :troll: I never said SSB is better than SF, and that's because SSB's made more mistakes in their games. SSB64, my guess is that the graphics sucked. Melee Wasn't too perfect. People whined about Adventure mode. And finally Brawl, which made Adventure mode mistakes as well, as well as terrible Wi-Fi. To all three, they had some character cravings and bad movesets for some. Gannondorf M>Gannondorf B for example.

So, therefore, no, I agree with you there. Also, people recognize the characters more, like Mario and Sonic, then Ryu or... who else is there? Gimmie a hand :troll:

On a different note, all I wanna see in Sm4sh is Victini playable. Nothing more, really. With SSBF gone, it's hard to get people to support him. But I'm chuggin' along, I suppose. I got 5 members on Facebook, now. And soon there is to be a Youtube alliance. Next'll be Serebii. Once again, if you have a Facebook, like Victini, and wanna support him for Sm4sh, join the Victini Alliance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's Ganondorf, man...

And wow, did anyone even SAY SSB was better than Street Fighter? No, wait, no they didn't. Best we've got is that people preferred it more, but not actually say which one was better.

They're two different kind of fighting games, anyway. Most of the traditional fighters are simply character VS character. SSB takes stages heavily into account, as well as items, and programmed randomness. It's part of what makes it different. If people can't accept it's not a traditional fighter, go play one instead. The formula is not going to change to be like the other traditional fighters no matter how much you wish to. It's different because it's meant to be that way.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

[COLLAPSE="S_R"]

I gotta agree with Oasis, I can see some but not all. If you could list them for us (except for the Past Stages) that would help.

EDIT: I think I can see Dragon's Altar. :bee:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sorry ^^ Idk why I put two "N"s in there. Maybe... N is controling my MIND to put more Ns in there. Or maybe I just need to spell it right :awesome:

I'm gone for now.

~Like a whisper, I am gone as soon as I'm heard.~
I blame the first Zelda game, pretty much one of the best versions ever made. No gimmicks, just pure wholesome gameplay.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

[COLLAPSE="S_R"]

Hey, pretty neat!

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, this recent talk of Adventure mode has me thinking...

What would be the best possible design for Adventure mode? A linear setting, like in Melee, a map style, like in Brawl, or maybe branched paths, like... say, Puzzle Bubble 2? (Really can't think of any other example...)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Not really sure how you mean "map style." It was still linear, just you could go back and retry levels. Which was alright I GUESS. But to build off that, I would suggest adding another element to that. The passing of time of sorts? Each... "turn" would be like a day. You could only move one space a day. You could move "backward," and you'll miss an event that happens elsewhere during the day, but maybe something different will happen in the space you went back to. Like maybe you get someone to join your team that you otherwise would not have had access to.

Mainly, I see a story mode having a much larger presence for the 3DS version. And for that, I think branching paths are a must. There's a lot of replay value to them, which is what you're looking for in a handheld. Sure, it's kind of a cheap way to force replay value, but it works well enough.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Well... y'know. Brawl had a map style.

But yeah, 3DS or Wii 2, Branching paths would be awesome.

...and Alex Kidd as an AT btw. *shot*

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Well... y'know. Brawl had a map style.

But yeah, 3DS or Wii 2, Branching paths would be awesome.

...and Alex Kidd as an AT btw. *shot*
I think it should be a cross between the Adventure Modes. Brawl's style, but real Nintendo places, enemies, and bosses. Like how the Subspace Bomb Factory ALMOST was. :smirk:

Skyleaf

Smash Cadet
On a different note, all I wanna see in Sm4sh is Victini playable. Nothing more, really. With SSBF gone, it's hard to get people to support him. But I'm chuggin' along, I suppose. I got 5 members on Facebook, now. And soon there is to be a Youtube alliance. Next'll be Serebii. Once again, if you have a Facebook, like Victini, and wanna support him for Sm4sh, join the Victini Alliance.
I have a Facebook. If I thought Victini had more of a chance, I would like it and join. But unfortunately I don't. Zoroark, in my own opinion, has the best chance from what I can gather. I just feel it. (And I like Zoroark way more.)

But don't get me wrong, if Victini gets in, I'll DEFINITELY be happy. He's a neat little guy.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Wait why/ when did SSBF leave?

The Impa VS Sheik debate, I suppose. I'm sad that the matter was even brought up..

He was WEAK, basically.
Neyt!

In otherwords, your answer is WRONG, which is WEAK.

Impa VS Sheik debate. He had his last straw and skedaddled.
Skedaddled... Haven't heard that word in awhile XD

Yeah, I might be joining him if the ******** conversations start up again. It's not worth my time. I'm adding SSB to SF in that catagory, too.

I have a Facebook. If I thought Victini had more of a chance, I would like it and join. But unfortunately I don't. Zoroark, in my own opinion, has the best chance from what I can gather. I just feel it. (And I like Zoroark way more.)

But don't get me wrong, if Victini gets in, I'll DEFINITELY be happy. He's a neat little guy.
Zoroark lovers. I must destory their reasoning XD jking

But seriously, this logic is why most people vote for Zoroark (Not calling you out): What they know. Me and SSBF *sniff* knew about Victini's triumph against Zoroark.

I'll be making an essay soon once I get free time. For now.

~Like a bat, I fly to the darkness..~

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Zoroark or Victini. Either one is fine with me just as long as we keep the current roster and get Mewtwo back.

Which reminds me, I need to add some Victini when I update my next Youtube video.

D

Deleted member

I would prefer Zoroark, only because it's the closest thing to Entei I'll ever get.

I used to find appeal in Victini, but I lost it over time. Victini's movie didn't help it's case for me either.

But both would pale in comparison in terms of my excitedness level to Krokorok, which would make me a happy camper.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
I have no problem having Victini, but I like Zoroark better. Maybe is cause im more use to Zoroak since I seen his/her movie, battled against it in the game without having to buy or download anything, etc

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
N is probably the best character ever in Pokemon. What does the letter N look like? Why, none other than a Z on it's side. And Zoroark starts with a Z. Not to mention N has Zoroark hair. Probably also helps that he has a Zoroark too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom