• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not over actual Sheik? Wanna see a Legend of Sheik game soon then... :/

Besides, can't argue that this doesn't look a million times better? ^^

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
IMO, I think you guys need to sort out your priorities. I'm all for wanting, say, Tom Nook, but if there was nothing that could be given that was both faithful and would bring something new to the table, I would willingly say no to his inclusion. Take away that this is a crossover game and including characters that contribute little to nothing new to the game is like adding more and more shotos in Street Fighter.
Maybe you need to get your priorities straight.

One of Sakurai's requirements was that the character had to make people want to play the game. There is a correlation between this, popularity, and, my favorite, good characters. When we talk about characters like Ridley, Little Mac and the rest, we want them in because we like them. Sometimes, it's what they bring to the table. But a lof of times, it's because they are cool and awesome.

Besides, adding characters just because they bring something new to the table actually gets boring. What ends up happening is you have a bunch of gimmicky characters based around some single idea and not enough of the normal guys. It's a game of 30 Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainers and, like, Link, Mario, Pikachu, Kirby and Donkey Kong.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Toad is still boring.

And I don't agree with SmashChu, but I won't agree with Kuma either since he mentioned Tom Nook.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Oasis that looks about right.

Diddy, that's because they stole the model from SS where as the other was built from the ground up >_>

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And it still looks better right? :D
Besides, they literally put 2 characters together with that Toon Sheik, and they used it on the wrong one to. I'd be more impressed with Toon Sheik over Sheik.

You know, Impa over Sheik as an actual character replacement isn't the flashiest addition either, but cool for relevance.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
^^^lol that's why it looks better. And yea I know that's not the flashiest addition I used to be really into the Psa scene.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Everyone who wants newer characters in cares about relevance.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well, there's no need for her since someone already serves the purpose she would most likely serve

Not that I'd care one way or the other if Impa were to make it in, anyway, I'm neutral towards her

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Not sure why you don't like "Add them because they are likable." Any insight?
That IS more important, but it can't be ignored that this is a fighting game, where different fighting styles (not the kind Kuma gets into) is what really adds to the game. Unfortunately I would still dismiss Junior and Krystal, because they fail the GOOD CHARACTER part, BUTBUT MAYBE ISAAC CAN COME AND PLAY...

I may just be trying to justify not adding Toad, because he is boring, but he really is boring so I can't really be blamed.

D

Deleted member

Irrelevant.
I hate Olimar's playstyle, but enjoy his appearances in Pikmin.

EDIT: I have yet to play a Dr. Mario game, yet I mained Dr. Mario in Melee.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I think Impa would also be fun to play as.

But you also care about relevance or atleast you use it as a point of why impa>sheik. Metal's point was that he wants genesect because he likes him and he would still support him of he were a gen 1 rather than the most recent and relevant gen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, there's a difference between all the Impa versions. You saw it yourself with Fat, cow lifting Impa. So of coarse I choose her most recent role, in which I like her most.

If she where to reappear with a new design with similar abilities, I wouldn't mind her look being updated in the next Smash.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
That's not point, my point is you make a relevance an important issue and implied metal does too for supporting genesect when that's not the case.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I've only played one Starfy game, but I enjoyed it so much that I support Starfy more than ANYONE else. I support Paper Mario because of ALL of the games, not just the most recent. Which is why each Special in my Paper Mario moveset comes from a different Paper Mario game.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
MY goal isn't to help. My goal is to DESTROY!!!

Also, I need Smash Wii U to be competitive, have Toon Link be high tier again, and have Toon Link be the funnest character to play again. That way, I get the best of both worlds in competitive smash... :cool: Yes, I am connected to Toon Link like a fetus to its' mother's umbilical cord! :awesome: :cool: :chuckle:

Also (in terms of Pokémon themselves) 1st Gen > 2nd Gen > 5th Gen > 3rd Gen (barely behind 5th Gen) > 4th Gen. Seriously, the 4th Generation of Pokémon had some uglies! :facepalm:
Yeah but they also had Luxray. :D

Also, when I think about it, Lucas' playstyle really fits me in any case, so i guess it's kinda both?

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
@Oasis

I don't think Toad would boring. He is a fun guy afterall. :troll:

Mario characters are generally uninteresting for the most part though I see Toad having potential with his abilities and well physical appearance. ;)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm sorry, I can't even finish reading that post because it makes me so sleepy. You've been supporting Toad's boringness for too long, it seems. Rubbed off on you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I like her for her role, her seemingly being fun to play as, and the fact finally a more relevant character would be in Smash. And I make a point about it because Impa in fact IS more deserving. Plus, she can be her own character easily, whereas Sheik can not. That, and there are problems with Zelda / Sheik as it is already. So, I'm pretty sure its a good idea.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So...if all of this is subjective...why are you all arguing?

I do think though, that the character themselves take priority over their playstyle.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Are you even reading my posts? I'm not saying sheik should be in over impa, I'm not saying explain your position, I'm not even saying relevance can't be important, I was just saying your statement "everyone who wants newer characters in cares about relevance" while true for you, is an inaccurate generalization.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do think that having lots of appearances and good potential for moves, as well as importance and recognision from the actual game series is very important. Therefore I do believe in priority, and relevance, as its very important to series as Zelda, Fire Emblem and just about any series with a frequently changing cast.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I like her for her role, her seemingly being fun to play as, and the fact finally a more relevant character would be in Smash. And I make a point about it because Impa in fact IS more deserving. Plus, she can be her own character easily, whereas Sheik can not. That, and there are problems with Zelda / Sheik as it is already. So, I'm pretty sure its a good idea.

Um... FINALLY more relevant? Ike, Lucario, and Olimar. That is all.
If Impa can be her own character, I don't care. But replacing Sheik, THAT'S where I have a problem with her.

D

Deleted member

What problems are there?! The fact that Zelda sucks herself? That's not Sheik's fault, it's Zelda's (and Sakurai's). Sakurai just needs to make her not suck.
And removing Sheik for the purpose of another move isn't going to help.
And replacing Sheik with another character soley on relevance isn't going to help Zelda either.

Quit focusing on others. Focus on ZELDA for a change, and figure out how to make her better with what she has.

Besides, Tingle's more deserving than Impa anyway. Multiple appearances? Check. Cameos and references in games he doesn't physically appear in? Check. His own set of games? Check.
What does Impa have again? Multiple appearances. You know who ELSE has multiple appearances? Skull Kid. And he was a villain (unwilling, but still) in one.

plokoon9619

Smash Cadet
Its not about the new Impa being in SS, shes had only what? One appearance for the skinny tree Impa. Now fat Impa is more deserving with her multiple 5 appearances (She was also the old witch Impa).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've posted ideas for Zelda before. First of all, making her not be the extreme 'counter part' of what Sheik lacks, and vise versa. She is bad cause she is slow and "powerful", because Sheik is fast and "weak". We know how that worked out...

And with a new relevant character, I meant a Zelda character. One that might become staple to the series from now.

plokoon9619

Smash Cadet
I've posted ideas for Zelda before. First of all, making her not be the extreme 'counter part' of what Sheik lacks, and vise versa. She is bad cause she is slow and "powerful", because Sheik is fast and "weak". We know how that worked out...

And with a new relevant character, I meant a Zelda character. One that might become staple to the series from now.

Yes you mean Fat Impa. The powerful, mother figure to Zelda.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Impa isn't gonna get in if it means her replacing an established character

/discussion

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Worth a try though. lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This established character has problems going for her though.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Everyday i come on now I see arguments about Impa/Sheik. GIVE IT A BREAK!!!!!!!!!! I'm not usually one to shout but this is SERIOUSLY GETTING ON MY NERVES! PLEASE!!???

Please, no more.... :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Obstination vs dedication.

It's like you guys are thinking no characters will be cut, or have been cut throughout the Smash series.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
At one point they were.

Wake me up when some real info comes in for this game. I've spent plenty of time in this thread during the highs and lows but honestly the thread doesn't usually stay terribad for this long.

So I'm taking my leave from here until something solid comes. I'll still pop in the backroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom