• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
ChronoBound, how popular were the Ice Climbers? PRE-confirmation? Do you know? I mean, maybe I've been underestimating them, but I thought they were relatively unknown? I guess it would be good to know how well the were received after they were confirmed anyway.

I really want to call you Charles Barkley.

D

Deleted member

ChronoBound said:
This place is pretty much the best. GameFAQs has a few bright bulbs, however, its mostly drowned out by the ocean of idiots. There is no other place that comes close to SmashBoards in terms of intelligent roster speculation. IGN is pretty much GameFAQs but worse. NSider has less profound idiots than GameFAQs and IGN, but no one that really stands out.
I like this place a lot. What separates this thread from the rest of the community is that it brings a community feel to it with interaction between each other and unlike other sections, we go into other topics frequently such as game play, stages, online, etc. Whereas GameFAQs and IGN are mostly character speculation that are filled with misinformation. I don't bother with IGN much since it's practically dead, but boy does that community suck. There are no valuable members in their and it's not really worth wasting my time on that forum.

GameFAQs is an interesting case. The bright people are very nice and enjoyable to have come on to talk and it's probably the place I post on the most frequently. But on the other hand, the quality is not so great among most members. This is probably one of the worst defense thread I have ever seen. Considering that it's coming from a Waluigi fan boy, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Nsider2 I don't really have much experience on, but they do seem to be pretty exclusives with people that post there. That probably is a big reason as to why they had a negative reaction towards my roster (whereas on Smashboards and GameFAQs, it was very favorable and considered among the better rosters). But again, I don't go on there often, so I'm not really a fair critic of it either, although I have noticed two standouts, Marcel/Emmy Altava and 50SENT. The former I'm neutral on and the latter I don't really like.

yani

Smash Lord
50Sent makes me laugh a lot. But I'm not sure if he's serious or not. He says Dr. Mario is a completely different person from Mario and Toon Sheik wouldn't be a clone of Sheik.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I am NOT impressed with 50sent. Everything I've seen him say sounds either pompus or just, wrong. People do seem to respect him their though. Then again, I haven't spent much time on that site. (Slow as ****)

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Is the YouTube community worth mentioning either? Personally, they seem to either be the more "casual" side. Of course, it is just videos...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't even want to hear of YouTube. There was some video of a guy suggesting characters from Trauma Center and Masked Dedede as King Dedede's "Sheik"? I think he had Pac-Man too. He was pretty COCKSURE of himself too.

D

Deleted member

Is the YouTube community worth mentioning either? Personally, they seem to either be the more "casual" side. Of course, it is just videos...

Yeah, the community seems to be pretty casual. They don't really go in depth in speculation and it really doesn't go beyond "here's my roster, critique it". I've been trying to break that trend with making an (admittedly terrible) video supporting Victini and after Top 20 Roster Candidates is over, make videos on other SSB4 stuffs again.

There are a lot of idiots on that site as well, thought considering that the whole of YouTube for the most part has a sucky community, this is no surprise. I'd say this is the 3rd largest SSB4 speculation place, behind Smash World Forums (2nd) and GameFAQs (1st). 4th is Nsider2 and 5th is IGN.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Youtube's crazy. But then again you really shouldn't be using it like that anyway.

Still I do have respect for the place, and what it once did for me...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Youtube can go both ways. I've seen a few "roster critiques" that got ugly..

Some Youtubers are good. The ones that aren't, though, are DUMBER THAN A WALL. About as thick as one too. Once on Youtube, somebody was SERIOUSLY saying to add Naruto and PETER GRIFFIN in Smash Bros. When asked if they were kidding, they replied, "No. I'm serious. Why would you think I was kidding?" :mad:
Then of course you have the ones that get rid of Jigglypuff... :glare:

D

Deleted member

Some Youtubers are good. The ones that aren't, though, are DUMBER THAN A WALL. About as thick as one too. Once on Youtube, somebody was SERIOUSLY saying to add Naruto and PETER GRIFFIN in Smash Bros. When asked if they were kidding, they replied, "No. I'm serious. Why would you think I was kidding?" :mad:
Then of course you have the ones that get rid of Jigglypuff... :glare:

Yeah, YouTube does seem to have no true medium. Those who do expose themselves are either really good (Hellsing920 is awesome, check out his Reaction & Reviews on movies) or flat-out terrible (Chris Chan). Thank god the latter finally got what he deserved.

WTF at Peter Griffin thought?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Serebii was too chicken **** to keep their SSB community. Literally, Ridley got them shut down. RIDLEY, THE LAMEST DEBATE TOPIC YOU CAN THINK OF! Those whimps, good riddence.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Serebii was too chicken **** to keep their SSB community. Literally, Ridley got them shut down. RIDLEY, THE LAMEST DEBATE TOPIC YOU CAN THINK OF! Those whimps, good riddence.
Pretty much.

The Serebii fourms are really only good for getting infomation and previews for the manga anyway. :3

D

Deleted member

Which is a shame. I was about to join that community when it shut down just for that section. Too bad groups aren't available as well, so a Smash 4 community cannot be formed.

It looks as our options for speculation are here, Nsider2, YouTube, GameFAQs, and IGN. Of those, Smashboards is good, Nsider2 is okayish, sometimes good on GameFAQs (but mostly bad), and IGN and YouTube absolutely drop the ball.

Edit: Forgot to mention this place. Looking decent so far, if a bit small.

yani

Smash Lord
Naruto and Peter? That's silly.

Are any of yall GAF members? I just got approved two days ago :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Naruto and Peter? That's silly.

Are any of yall GAF members? I just got approved two days ago :awesome:

I really want to join that site. Unfortunately, ones with a free-email address (Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) aren't allowed to join, so I have no idea.

But I know that ChronoBound is (under Snakey).

yani

Smash Lord
Do you have Verizion FIOS SSBF? I was able to use the Verizon e-mail they gave me. (college e-mails work too)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Do you have Verizion FIOS SSBF? I was able to use the Verizon e-mail they gave me. (college e-mails work too)

I didn't know Verizion had it's own cell phone network. :troll:
@Oasis: What did he expect? He made his gun click about 4 times. :awesome:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Back on topic. You see what I see and we don't need ANOTHER talking to.

I think the true definition of retro, and what Sakurai considers retro are definitely two different things. SO, despite that it can be argued that N64 is retro, I think we should just stick to the usual retro choices.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Back on topic. You see what I see and we don't need ANOTHER talking to.

I think the true definition of retro, and what Sakurai considers retro are definitely two different things. SO, despite that it can be argued that N64 is retro, I think we should just stick to the usual retro choices.
Not sure why one would even bother arguing for the N64 when it really doesn't offer any good choices to begin with. Unless you want to throw Saki and Ray in there?

And the pattern has been G&W + NES and NES + NES. So clearly Sakurai only thinks of NES as retro. :awesome:

ALSO, "Retro" is just a word we use to group those smaller series together. He said Ice Climbers were just for an NES representative. G&W, R.O.B, and Pit were probably independent from that idea.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
ChronoBound, how popular were the Ice Climbers? PRE-confirmation? Do you know? I mean, maybe I've been underestimating them, but I thought they were relatively unknown? I guess it would be good to know how well the were received after they were confirmed anyway.
The Ice Climbers were not a big pick at all, because, quite frankly, their game is garbage. Literally, go play it. After 5 minutes, you get the whole point of it, and you are done playing it.
I really want to call you Charles Barkley.
"This is a must win game for the Knicks" he says on the opening game of a 66 game season. :embarrass:
If we do get DLC it will probably be stuff like costumes and trophies. Maybe stages.

I don't see characters though.
Let us all hope you are wrong (and it is FREE!). I'm feeling lucky about it, especially since I won an online match of Tecmo Super Bowl online on a game ending hail mary (Montana to Rice of course). YEAH-YUH! Screw overtime, I'm going home. :awesome:

Edit: "Retro" usually refers to something at least 15-20 years old according to various dictionary definitions (and some retro things can arguably also be modern or modernized). So the early era of the N64 (1996, 1997) is arguably retro. Oddly, that means that a large period of the SNES era is also not "for sure" totally retro by all definitions. Just thinking about it makes me realize Nintendo hasn't actually been around too long... >.<

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm glad we do have Ice Climbers though. They're like proto-Super Mario Brothers. Then we could have Mach Rider which is proto-F-Zero. Unfortunately that "X" game couldn't really lend itself a character, BUT THAT IS PROTO-STAR FOX. They're not exactly predecessors, but Takamaru and Pit are intertwined with Zelda and Metroid.

"It is also the first video game programmed by Kazuaki Morita. He considered his work on Ice Climber to be a "warm-up" before becoming a main programmer on Super Mario Bros."

Totally basing that off of this little tidbit though. :awesome:

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, good thing I decided not to go to town on that thread.

Also, since someone brought up the Starmen thread, I figure I should post this one
I have to bring this up: I'm pretty sure that Sakurai never actually said that he'd base Takamaru's inclusion on the sales of the GBA port of his game (same for that part about Kid Icarus GBA doing well and getting Pit in SSB). No one else ever brought that up, and when I first saw that, I went through the old Brawl survey with the Wayback Machine and never saw anything like that. So unfortunately (because I want to see Takamaru in SSB), that information isn't reliable. All of the stuff written by xubelox is, though.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
How would Donbe & Hikari fight. What kind of moves could they use?

Also, Star, if we are going to do FF music in the future
I looked their game up when Chrono mentioned it - seems like Donbe is the muscle, with various weapons while Hikari can can control water, which would certainly make a unique fighting duo if Sakurai chooses to dig deep enough into Nintendo's repertoire.

On the other hand, SSB Fan makes a point that the duo system would work well for Chrome and Liz because of the new double team system in the new FE. And of course, people are so adamant that there be another FE character, so I don't see why that can't work out either. For those so bothered about a healer fighting, I bet Liz could work without any attacking hitboxes if Chrome does all the damaging.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Depends if its gonna be as good as the Wii U version, but if I got the money, probably yeah.

Also, isn't Takamaru getting an actual new game??

Which is a shame. I was about to join that community when it shut down just for that section. Too bad groups aren't available as well, so a Smash 4 community cannot be formed.

It looks as our options for speculation are here, Nsider2, YouTube, GameFAQs, and IGN. Of those, Smashboards is good, Nsider2 is okayish, sometimes good on GameFAQs (but mostly bad), and IGN and YouTube absolutely drop the ball.

Edit: Forgot to mention this place. Looking decent so far, if a bit small.
+ 1002 for the Respect Donkey Kong Gets thread.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
You know what would be pretty cool? We should have some kind of contest on here for who can design the best roster. Everyone could get 1 vote (not for their own so there wouldn't be a tie of everyone voting for their own) & people could explain their choices for inclusions in their roster and why they voted for who they did. However, a flame war over the inclusion of characters that one doesn't support is NOT at all what I'm going for.

I think it would be pretty awesome! :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Something kind of occurred to me, regarding the DLC stuff. Maybe there could be some DLC characters, who are completely optional to use; you won't normally face them at all in Solo mode, and are not usable in Adventure Mode. For some inputs...

Rosalina
Vaati
Dark Samus
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Deoxys
Poo
Matthew
Knuckles the Echidna
Chocobo

There could also be some DLC Event Matches, involving the characters mentioned above.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Depends if its gonna be as good as the Wii U version, but if I got the money, probably yeah.

Also, isn't Takamaru getting an actual new game??

+ 1002 for the Respect Donkey Kong Gets thread.

Sakura Samurai, you mean? Sadly it has been regarded as it's own game separated from continuum of Nazo No Murasame-jo. (-l^l-);

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom