• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528

I tried to please EVERYONE with this roster. The only place I may have messed up, would be Toon/Young and Ghirahim. But other than that, I think I did WELL.
Nice, the only thing I don't like is Starfy or Saki not being on there other then that it's fine actually it's great.

Hah... if asage was here he'd be ticked about Victini not being on that roster

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You better not think Skyworld is coming back then, Star.
If it does so what? Not like there has not been redundancy before with stage types in a game. Besides, both stages will operate differently than each other. Not too big an issue.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

I tried to please EVERYONE with this roster. The only place I may have messed up, would be Toon/Young and Ghirahim. But other than that, I think I did WELL.
Looking good. My only major gripes would be the inclusion of Mona and TWO new Kid Icarus characters. I still doubt even the inclusion of one new Kid Icarus character, MUCH LESS two of them. While you're choices weren't bad, I think two is a bit excessive.

Also, I really doubt we'll see ANY new Wario characters. Other than that, though, it looks quite reasonable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only thing bothering me SLIGHTLY is Roy over Chrome, and Sheik over Impa. I really want Impa. And having 8 playable Pokemon makes me want Impa as the extra Zelda character extra badly. But overall deffinatly a 9/10.

Oh and I don't want Miis either, but yeah...

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I don't mean to change the subject I just wanted to know how you guys feel about this, how would you guys feel if Groose was an assist trophy in this game? I mean he's a pretty popular character from what I've seen so why not

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If it does so what? Not like there has not been redundancy before with stage types in a game. Besides, both stages will operate differently than each other. Not too big an issue.
Well if it does, I'm gonna, I'M GONNA. WHY, I'M GONNA MOIDALIZE YA. Not really. I loves ya, ya joiyk.

Stages more than anything should provide variety, but I guess with Skyloft and (an updated, probably) Skyword, then it just can't be helped.

Unless the only Kid Icarus stage is Underworld. 8D

Groose would be better as a STAGE CAMEO, whereas Ghirahim would be better as the Assist Trophy. I guess.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@shortiie: Okay roster, but 7 playable 1st gen Pokemon? Yeah, no. Replace Mewtwo with Deoxys. Also, needs the third parties back with MegaMan atleast. They're part of Smash now and aren't going to be one-offs either. There's also quite a lot of retro choices possible too, but eh. Would rather Bowser Jr. before Toad myself. Comes with the option of two playable characters.(Shadow Mario being added), making him a better choice by that alone. That, and he wouldn't be a clone either.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@shortiie: Okay roster, but 7 playable 1st gen Pokemon? Yeah, no. Replace Mewtwo with Deoxys. Also, needs the third parties back with MegaMan atleast. They're part of Smash now and aren't going to be one-offs either. There's also quite a lot of retro choices possible too, but eh. Would rather Bowser Jr. before Toad myself. Comes with the option of two playable characters.(Shadow Mario being added), making him a better choice by that alone. That, and he wouldn't be a clone either.
No to Deoxys, no to your gripe about too many pokemanz. No to your Megaman. (I'm not going to even pretend like I have a clue what third parties will be chosen) None of the characters, besides KINDA Takamaru are retro, no to Junior because people want Toad (The point of this roster was to make the majority happy). No to Shadow Mario.

@Spydr, people WANT both. And I will definitely keep Mona. I could lose Palutena, or Medusa, but not both.

I still think there is a definite chance of us seing both Mona and MedPal. IF, I was going to change out one, it would be Palutena, for that dreadful man Ghirahim.

MAKE, Tingle an AT, please. Not Groose. Oasis has the RIGHT idea. I also HATE Toad/Junior supporters who PUT DOWN Mona. It will be the death of one of yalls!

D

Deleted member

What I like:
Toad
King K. Rool
Palutena
Takamaru
Mewtwo
Little Mac
Ridley
Roy
Isaac

No Nintendo characters are cut with the exception of Toon Link.

Neutral:
Young Link (either him or Toon Link is fine)
Dixie Kong (seems bland to me, but I like her and she is important)
Medusa (need to see more of her)
Samurai Goroh
Krystal (indifferent)
Mii (not interesting, but they are highly deserving)

What I don't like:
Mona (doubtful of a second Wario rep and if one happened, I'd much prefer Captain Syrup or Orbulon)
Zoroark (bump to neutral if Illusion ability is included and not butchered)
Shulk (I don't understand the appeal at all for him in SSB4)

I've seen better, but this roster fulfills my expectations, so I'm happy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YESSSSSSSSSSS. I'm serious. He doesn't NEED to come back. The 1st Gen is overrepped enough. Deoxys is a perfectly fine choice anyway. And a popular Legendary too. In fact, it's the only 3rd Gen Legendary I really see here being wanted as a character. Perfect choice. Since Pokemon Trainer will most likely being using 1st Gen again, skipping one single Gen is pointless completely. If every Gen but it are going to be in, it's just a kick in the face to anyone who like the R/S/E games. No reason to kick those fans' faces in. Just rep 'em all, or keep it to 3 1st Gen(slots) and 1 5th Gen like normal. I'm fine with that too. But don't skip one for no good reason.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Agreed. I've NEVER understood it myself... I've just been to afraid to say it.
Shulk and Elza/Kanan are the ONLY small franchise characters I like. Never understood the interest in ANY of the others.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well if it does, I'm gonna, I'M GONNA. WHY, I'M GONNA MOIDALIZE YA. Not really. I loves ya, ya joiyk.

Stages more than anything should provide variety, but I guess with Skyloft and (an updated, probably) Skyword, then it just can't be helped.

Unless the only Kid Icarus stage is Underworld. 8D

Groose would be better as a STAGE CAMEO, whereas Ghirahim would be better as the Assist Trophy. I guess.
Well truth is you can have variety even with existing stage types. Plus I have a feeling the new Kid Icarus stage will be an underworld based stage.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
YESSSSSSSSSSS. I'm serious. He doesn't NEED to come back. The 1st Gen is overrepped enough. Deoxys is a perfectly fine choice anyway. And a popular Legendary too. In fact, it's the only 3rd Gen Legendary I really see here being wanted as a character. Perfect choice. Since Pokemon Trainer will most likely being using 1st Gen again, skipping one single Gen is pointless completely. If every Gen but it are going to be in, it's just a kick in the face to anyone who like the R/S/E games. No reason to kick those fans' faces in. Just rep 'em all, or keep it to 3 1st Gen(slots) and 1 5th Gen like normal. I'm fine with that too. But don't skip one for no good reason.
Have you ever thought that there might be a reason why Sakurai overrepped the first generation? If it's happend in all three Smash games, it can happen again.

I also don't think Deoxys is as popular as you think he is... he WAS popular. Not to mention we probably won't be seeing third-gen remakes anytime soon. If skipping a generation is a kick in the face, then Sakurai kicked everyone's faces in Brawl. There wasn't a backlash to Deoxys not being in the game, so I doubt Sakurai will be afraid to kick people in the face again.

Shulk and Elza/Kanan are the ONLY small franchise characters I like. Never understood the interest in ANY of the others.
The others are more familiar to people.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yeah, not like people want Mewtwo to come back or anything... Oh yeah, where is the outcry for Deoxys again?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Deoxys could be made interesting, but yeah... Brawl was his biggest chance. If the game is going to have 60 characters I'd be fine with it however.

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Anyway, anyone got some new stage concepts to share?
I'm working on one, I'll hurry and finish it up so I can post it in a little while. ;)

I could actually live with that, you did do well. Although my only complain is no Saki...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Saki instead of Mii, Impa instead of Sheik and I'd be extremely satisfied.

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Protip: If you make a roster, you have to be sure you're not completely happy with it in the end. You're not going to get everyone you want.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Have you ever thought that there might be a reason why Sakurai overrepped the first generation? If it's happend in all three Smash games, it can happen again.

I also don't think Deoxys is as popular as you think he is... he WAS popular. Not to mention we probably won't be seeing third-gen remakes anytime soon. If skipping a generation is a kick in the face, then Sakurai kicked everyone's faces in Brawl. There wasn't a backlash to Deoxys not being in the game, so I doubt Sakurai will be afraid to kick people in the face again.
It's not an acceptable practice to skip Gen 3 again. Likewise, 4 slots dedicated to 1st Gen has yet to happen. It'll most likely keep at 3, and just be a 5th gen rep. You want to know how he overrepped it? By adding one new Generation, and one new 1st Gen. He replaced Mewtwo to keep the slots at 4(as in main character picture). No reason it won't happen again. If Trainer is gonna change, it'll be 3rd Gen, or should be. Some of us actually care about fair representation. Lucario didn't even really deserve his spot either, as he was shoehorned in. Generations need to be in order. It's also why I say Genesect should be in. He's more unique anyway. We've never had an insect in general, making him a cooler choice, and not yet another darkness-based character. He's both unique, has moves that are new, is well known and has quite the fanbase too.

Also, Deoxys is still popular.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
- Mii
- Sheik
- Mona
- Zoroarok (Or however you spell his name)
- Young Link

+ Saki
+ Impa
+ Capt. Syrup
+ Toon Link
+ Ghirahim (His absence makes me furious! Outraged! Sick with anger!)

On another note, why don't we list some "wild card" picks. The ones that will just surprise everyone. Note, they don't have to be WTF? or Retro, it can be whoever really. I'll start with some:
Kumatora, Jill Dozer, Tom Nook, Jiro, and Muddy Mole

D

Deleted member

Protip: If you make a roster, you have to be sure you're not completely happy with it in the end. You're not going to get everyone you want.
If you mean your dream roster, then I agree with you. But if you mean just a roster that satisfies you in the minimal sense, then I disagree. I for one would be satisfied with this.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad/Bowser Jr./Paper Mario

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool/Dixie Kong

Yoshi

Wario

Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf

Samus
Ridley

Kirby
King Dedede
Meta-Knight

Fox
Falco

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario/Mewtwo/Victini

Captain Falcon

Ness

Marth
Ike/Roy

Pit

Olimar

Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Takamaru/Lip/Duck Hunt Dog

Little Mac
Isaac/Saki/Starfy/Ray
@KumaOso: Geno, Captain Syrup, Knuckle Joe, Bisharp, Scrafty, Diskun, and Chibi-Robo.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
It's not an acceptable practice to skip Gen 3 again. Likewise, 4 slots dedicated to 1st Gen has yet to happen. It'll most likely keep at 3, and just be a 5th gen rep. You want to know how he overrepped it? By adding one new Generation, and one new 1st Gen. He replaced Mewtwo to keep the slots at 4(as in main character picture). No reason it won't happen again. If Trainer is gonna change, it'll be 3rd Gen, or should be. Some of us actually care about fair representation. Lucario didn't even really deserve his spot either, as he was shoehorned in. Generations need to be in order. It's also why I say Genesect should be in. He's more unique anyway. We've never had an insect in general, making him a cooler choice, and not yet another darkness-based character. He's both unique, has moves that are new, is well known and has quite the fanbase too.

Also, Deoxys is still popular.
If it's not an acceptable practice then why did Sakurai do it? What is stopping him from doing it again? And I know what a slot is... :awesome: How do you know that's why Mewtwo was cut though? It could have been due to time constraints as well. And if Sakurai had his way, there would be four first-generation reps and one fourth-generation rep in the game with no third or second reps. That is close to what people expect for SSB4. If it was possible in Brawl I don't see why it couldn't happen in SSB4...

If the Trainer changes, wouldn't it make more sense to make it second-gen or fifth-gen, since one was the most recent generation and the other was the most recent remake? And again, Deoxys is definitely not as popular as he once was. He really can't compare to Mewtwo in terms of popularity. He had his chance in Brawl, but his time is up. I'd like to see some "fair representation" too, but sadly, I'm not deciding the roster of this game. And neither are you. SAKURAI is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If it's not an acceptable practice then why did Sakurai do it? What is stopping him from doing it again? And I know what a slot is... :awesome: How do you know that's why Mewtwo was cut though? It could have been due to time constraints as well. And if Sakurai had his way, there would be four first-generation reps and one fourth-generation rep in the game with no third or second reps. That is close to what people expect for SSB4. If it was possible in Brawl I don't see why it couldn't happen in SSB4...
We know he was cut because of time constraints. That's rather obvious. Why was Mewtwo not in over Jigglypuff? Clearly he's not nearly as important. If anything, if we have enough space, we'll get everyone(including Pichu) and a 3rd and 5th Gen. That works for me. It's a bit big, but there's no reason not to include everyone completely.

If the Trainer changes, wouldn't it make more sense to make it second-gen or fifth-gen, since one was the most recent generation and the other was the most recent remake? I'd like to see some "fair representation" too, but sadly, I'm not deciding the roster of this game. And neither are you. SAKURAI is.
No. We got a 2nd Gen character with Pichu. If he's going to change, he should be 3rd Gen instead. We already have 3 great 5th Gen choices. Victini, Zoroark, Genosect. The only Gens left to rep are 3rd and 5th, and the only ones that need any new characters. 1st Gen has a total of 7. It's pretty much more than finished. If the pattern is kept, however, we'll see Trainer replaced with yet another 1st Gen, a 5th Gen rep, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu. I prefer 5 slots, with 1 Gen each, as that's completely fair and unbiased regardless.(who is chosen besides Pikachu and Lucario is unknown, although Pichu could stay for 2nd Gen, but eh)

D

Deleted member

Would someone mind providing me with that character list? That has the Forbidden 7 data in it
- Mewtwo
- Roy
- Dr. Mario
- Dixie Kong (planned to be with Diddy)
- Toon Zelda
- Toon Sheik (with Toon Zelda)
- maybe Plusle & Minun.

yani_

Smash Ace
@SSBF Thanks but I mean like the full list, numbered with all of the characters data too, the coding I guess you could say

but are you sure she was planned with Diddy?

D

Deleted member

@SSBF Thanks but I mean like the full list, numbered with all of the characters data too, the coding I guess you could say

but are you sure she was planned with Diddy?
She was definitely planned with Diddy, but dropped due to technical issues.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
We know he was cut because of time constraints. That's rather obvious. Why was Mewtwo not in over Jigglypuff? Clearly he's not nearly as important. If anything, if we have enough space, we'll get everyone(including Pichu) and a 3rd and 5th Gen. That works for me. It's a bit big, but there's no reason not to include everyone completely.
Because Jigglypuff was one of the Original 12 Smashers, and for that matter was important to SMASH by having some nostalgic worth, which I'm sure Sakurai realized. Soooo basically you are saying we will see something like this?

-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Pichu
-Mewtwo
-Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle)
-Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur)
-Pokemon Trainer (Charizard)
-Lucario
-Zoroark/Victini/Genesect
-Deoxys/3rd-generation Trainer

No. We got a 2nd Gen character with Pichu. If he's going to change, he should be 3rd Gen instead. We already have 3 great 5th Gen choices. Victini, Zoroark, Genosect. The only Gens left to rep are 3rd and 5th, and the only ones that need any new characters. 1st Gen has a total of 7. It's pretty much more than finished. If the pattern is kept, however, we'll see Trainer replaced with yet another 1st Gen, a 5th Gen rep, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu. I prefer 5 slots, with 1 Gen each, as that's completely fair and unbiased regardless.(who is chosen besides Pikachu and Lucario is unknown, although Pichu could stay for 2nd Gen, but eh)
While that may be ideal to some, it really does not matter what you and I prefer. Simply because we are not designing the roster. SAKURAI is. And he obviously doesn't have a problem with leaving out a generation here and there, OR "overrepping" the first-generation.

Also, beware of patterns... we've only had two sequels.

I can't find any good reads on this, do you have any sources by any chance? (I'm not doubting you, just curious) :)
I wish I had a link... I know I read Sakurai's comments on it somewhere.

But you can also see evidence of it in the game. Look at Diddy's Down-B animation. It looks as if he was originally supposed to be reaching back to someone (Dixie) to tag them and switch places, just like in the DKC games. Not to mention the move itself looks half-bakd. The developers clearly took the banana peel item and slapped it on to his Down-B move hoping it would look like it was meant to be that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom