• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought it was confirmed that we were getting only twenty-six playable characters in Fortune Street, ruling out Geno altogether.
First party characters are often chosen first due to easier licensing. That also is a good point too.

I also heard about the new Mario & Sonic game. They announced 20 characters. What I find odd is that Waluigi is playable before Toad.(and so is Bowser Jr.) Makes you wonder if the "deserving" argument really holds much water. No Diddy so far either. Or Rouge.

The Geno fan base, as much as I hate to say it, will likely be dead by the time the SSB4 is out. I'll still continue to want him in if I move on to SSB5, but I can't really say there's much going for him with Geno scoring a 27.91% on Create The SSB4 Roster.
That's the GameFAQs fanbase, though. That, and frankly, if we're getting one SE rep, there's a lot of other choices besides a Mario character. I can understand that.

D

Deleted member

@Hyper Falcon: True, but Geno has lost a lot of fans on other sites as well. You don't see people requesting Geno much on here anymore (aside from a few supporters), support for Geno on All is Brawl and Nsider2 seems to be almost completely dead, and Youtube has lost a lot of Geno support as well.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Actually in the official E3 Melee reveal trailer Sheik was shown before Zelda. So at the time it was only Sheik and Link.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@SSBF: I'm saying that it's not severely low, nothing more.

@Starphoenix: Which is why I think the whole "deserving" argument is a load of bullcrap.(interestingly enough, the swear word version of that is considered a real word with my spell check. Huh.) Also, that's because Sheik looks more reasonable as a fighter, being a ninja, where Zelda has never fought canonically. Whether or not Sheik was indefinitely going to be in Brawl, all we saw was that they just have happened to make a TP Concept Art.

Same with importance as well. Popularity is really the only factor we often see be taken into account. The rest? Not tellable.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Hyper Falcon: True, but Geno has lost a lot of fans on other sites as well. You don't see people requesting Geno much on here anymore (aside from a few supporters), support for Geno on All is Brawl and Nsider2 seems to be almost completely dead, and Youtube has lost a lot of Geno support as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ghirahim goes that path too. He's not as memorable as Ganondorf, after all.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well it all boils down to whether or not there is a poll before he starts making the roster. The fact of the matter is that Sakurai will probably not forget the extreme support Geno had last go around, and seeing how he seems to simply add the characters who SHOULD have been in the previous game, playing catchup would be in Geno's favor. HOWEVER! I do understand that Square hates him and that there is almost no way he could make it in over Slime or Chocobo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Since when did Square hate Geno? If that's true, he wouldn't have been allowed to have a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Where is this?

And he probably has a better chance over the other two. If it's going to a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest character, it will more likely be a recurring boss/main character. Slime's... not likely. Chocobo has to combat Moogle in comparison.

yani_

Smash Ace
Well it all boils down to whether or not there is a poll before he starts making the roster. The fact of the matter is that Sakurai will probably not forget the extreme support Geno had last go around, and seeing how he seems to simply add the characters who SHOULD have been in the previous game, playing catchup would be in Geno's favor. HOWEVER! I do understand that Square hates him and that there is almost no way he could make it in over Slime or Chocobo.
This. I'm sure a lot of the geno fans are just inactive right now because all in all there's not too much to discuss. I think popularity is going to play a bigger role this time around because *MOST* of the franchises have the essentials. I'm sure Nintendo and Square could work something out. Maybe let Geno rep Mario and give square another slot for their own franchise too? *puts on flame shield*

D

Deleted member

This. I'm sure a lot of the geno fans are just inactive right now because all in all there's not too much to discuss. I think popularity is going to play a bigger role this time around because *MOST* of the franchises have the essentials. I'm sure Nintendo and Square could work something out. Maybe let Geno rep Mario and give square another slot for their own franchise too? *puts on flame shield*
I think a better way to have Geno in (assuming he is playable, which I doubt) is that he represents Square Enix and a fifth Mario rep (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario being most likely) get in. Or we could have six Mario slots with Geno and Toad/Bowser Jr./Paper Mario being the two newcomers.

I also noticed a paradox. Geno has to compete with not only Mario reps, but also Square Enix reps.

yani_

Smash Ace
I think a better way to have Geno in (assuming he is playable, which I doubt) is that he represents Square Enix and a fifth Mario rep (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario being most likely) get in. Or we could have six Mario slots with Geno and Toad/Bowser Jr./Paper Mario being the two newcomers.

I also noticed a paradox. Geno has to compete with not only Mario reps, but also Square Enix reps.
I'd be much more happy with that, but I'm not too sure if Square would do that. What icon would he have anyway? :O

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd be much more happy with that, but I'm not too sure if Square would do that. What icon would he have anyway? :O
Probably the sword in the middle of the Super Mario RPG Logo. I can't remember his name offhand.

With that said, Geno for Sm4sh.

Hoots

Can Be Combative

I completely agree. I have always viewed Geno as a Mario rep instead of a SE rep. However, with the bull**** of the legal system, this isn't the case. I personally believe that he should be added along with an additional Mario rep, but with the fact that Sakurai and the Japanese worship DQ so much, and that Slime is essentially one half of Square's mascot, he is more likely as much as it makes me ****in' weep to say it. My bet would be Slime/Chocobo and Paper Mario/Bowser Jr/Toad make it in. I wish I could be excited about ANY of those choices... I guess Paper Mario is pretty cool.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course he's a Mario Rep. He's still a third party character regardless.

It doesn't mean we can't have him and a regular SE rep. Unlike other characters like Simon Belmont, Geno is still part of the Mario series.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
...Since when did Square hate Geno? If that's true, he wouldn't have been allowed to have a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Where is this?

And he probably has a better chance over the other two. If it's going to a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest character, it will more likely be a recurring boss/main character. Slime's... not likely. Chocobo has to combat Moogle in comparison.
Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have a much greater chance of appearing than Geno. Those are the two series Japanese fans care the most about and are requesting. SquareEnix does not hate Geno, but very few probably even know he exists nor care that he does. As for thinking that Slime (Rocket) or Chocobo (Final Fantasy Fables) would make it in is not that absurd. Especially Chocobo who received quite a few votes in the Melee polls, and has still had a relatively steady fanbase. Either way it does not really matter, but I think you are now over estimating Geno's standing, especially compared to more prominent series.

I will give you that. There is nothing saying we cannot have both. It only depends upon how Nintendo and SquareEnix decide to do things.

Personally I never cared for Geno that much. I always preferred Mallow. Something about that cloud, cupcake, frog thing always appealed to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have a much greater chance of appearing than Geno. Those are the two series Japanese fans care the most about and are requesting. SquareEnix does not hate Geno, but very few probably even know he exists nor care that he does. As for thinking that Slime (Rocket) or Chocobo (Final Fantasy Fables) would make it in is not that absurd. Especially Chocobo who received quite a few votes in the Melee polls, and has still had a relatively steady fanbase. Either way it does not really matter, but I think you are now over estimating Geno's standing, especially compared to more prominent series.
That's what I was thinking, honestly. Now if only they gave their other IP's a bit of love. And actually, he has just as much of a fair chance as most characters anyway. If they can get SE's permission, a regular and Mario rep are both available.

I will give you that. There is nothing saying we cannot have both. It only depends upon how Nintendo and SquareEnix decide to do things.

Personally I never cared for Geno that much. I always preferred Mallow. Something about that cloud, cupcake, frog thing always appealed to me.
Right. I actually like Mallow more, but Geno, well, he wins overall in popularity. I like my clerics.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That's what I was thinking, honestly. Now if only they gave their other IP's a bit of love. And actually, he has just as much of a fair chance as most characters anyway. If they can get SE's permission, a regular and Mario rep are both available.
He could he could not. Third party characters are such a dynamic situation there is no saying what will happen.

Right. I actually like Mallow more, but Geno, well, he wins overall in popularity. I like my clerics.
I guess the problem for me is Geno, despite the fanaticism, was a very dry character to me. In terms of the game he was not all that stand out to me. That is just me though. Being a fan of almost all of SquareEnix's properties it does not really affect me which series is in as long as one is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He could he could not. Third party characters are such a dynamic situation there is no saying what will happen.
Wait, when did I say one will definitely happen? :p

I guess the problem for me is Geno, despite the fanaticism, was a very dry character to me. In terms of the game he was not all that stand out to me. That is just me though. Being a fan of almost all of SquareEnix's properties it does not really affect me which series is in as long as one is.
He was more interesting than Mario. :p And, you know, the main plot guy. Also, I thought he was interesting myself.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Who's that dude from Dragon Quest that looks just like Trunks in Dragon Ball GT? I think he'd be a cool character if he ever made it in

:phone:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wait, when did I say one will definitely happen? :p
POINT IS it is a fluid situation so there is no way of definitely saying one thing will or will not happen. Which in turn means Geno could get in over other SE characters. Tis all.

He was more interesting than Mario. :p And, you know, the main plot guy. Also, I thought he was interesting myself.
Kind of easy to beat out a character that rarely talks, if ever.

Who's that dude from Dragon Quest that looks just like Trunks in Dragon Ball GT? I think he'd be a cool character if he ever made it in

:phone:
Think you are talking about Terry or Angelo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
POINT IS it is a fluid situation so there is no way of definitely saying one thing will or will not happen. Which in turn means Geno could get in over other SE characters. Tis all.
Ah.

Kind of easy to beat out a character that rarely talks, if ever.
Not true. Personality still exists for Silent Protagonists. Look at Red VS Ash. You can tell who's more interesting in the end. Okay, bad example, but then it's... Ash.

Anyway, words =/= personality. They do help, though. Mario has little due to not much characterization in general.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not true. Personality still exists for Silent Protagonists. Look at Red VS Ash. You can tell who's more interesting in the end. Okay, bad example, but then it's... Ash.

Anyway, words =/= personality. They do help, though. Mario has little due to not much characterization in general.
Oh believe me I know. I am a huge RPG buff and know how the silent hero has more personality than people give him credit for. :p

My statement was kind of like what you said at the end. Mario has little character development in general, so him being turned into a silent RPG protagonist does not add much to that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh believe me I know. I am a huge RPG buff and know how the silent hero has more personality than people give him credit for. :p

My statement was kind of like what you said at the end. Mario has little character development in general, so him being turned into a silent RPG protagonist does not add much to that.
Yeah, i know. Just saying.

Anyway, I find it kind of sad that nearly every other notable characters has more personality than Mario in his series.(even Donkey Kong, despite not being part of the Mario series, since they spun off from the Donkey Kong game itself) Anyway, I'm not sure who has more, Link or Mario?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I liked him up to Advanced. After Battle Frontier, he really became stale. He finally won another league(variation), and could become a true master by becoming a Frontier Brain. That would've been great, and spoke well for his character.

...But they kept the Status Quo. I also happened to like May, so that's part of my reason. Atleast Black and White is pretty good, although I miss Brock.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ash was good only in the first few seasons and the Lucario movie IMO. Red has always been good, and not just in the manga. :awesome:

As for Geno, this is how I see it:

Most likely Mario reps/Dr. Mario > Waluigi > Other Mario characters >> Geno

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Oh yeah someone brought something interesting over at Gamefaqs a few months ago... what do you guys think of a Hotel Dusk rep? I don't think it's a very well known Nintendo game but I heard it was pretty good.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah someone brought something interesting over at Gamefaqs a few months ago... what do you guys think of a Hotel Dusk rep? I don't think it's a very well known Nintendo game but I heard it was pretty good.
Just doesn't interest me.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Seems like quite a lot of people are divided on Skyward Sword right now. Strangely enough this game has better European reviews than those from America. It is interesting to me considering how Europe receives the Operation Rainfall trifecta and the US has so far seen none of those titles.

D

Deleted member

Seems like quite a lot of people are divided on Skyward Sword right now. Strangely enough this game has better European reviews than those from America. It is interesting to me considering how Europe receives the Operation Rainfall trifecta and the US has so far seen none of those titles.
That's something I've noticed. Check out GameFAQs and you will see that one half thinks it's the best Zelda game ever and the other are let down. Though with high expectations and the Wii drought, you can't really satisfy anyone.

I think the better European reviews has to deal with American being bitter over not getting the three Wii RPGs.

However, Ghirahim seems to be viewed in a mostly positive manner and in the threads I have done on IGN and GameFAQs, Ghirahim seems to have increased in support.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well maybe even if Skyward Sword itself performs rather tepidly perhaps Ghirahim might still be received favorably.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i want to move to europe... jeez, france has free health care and they get to play the rainfall games?

hmmm... does anyone know where the rainfall name comes from?

D

Deleted member

Well maybe even if Skyward Sword itself performs rather tepidly perhaps Ghirahim might still be received favorably.
I think it'll sell better then Majora's Mask. I'm expecting around 4-6 million in sales. Not that it means much.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As do I. Being Zelda, that'll do it alone.

I think the problem with MM is that you couldn't take your time.

Notably, I love the nostalgia this game brings. Owl Statues are back!(the save things)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I have no doubt it will still sell well. Let's be honest it is not as though most average consumers adhere to game "reviews" before deciding upon their purchase. Especially not those that have the title "Legend of Zelda".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Now, Sonic on the other hand...

Yeah, that's true. I actually facepalm at people who take reviews to heart. Rent the game(or something less legal) and find out for yourself. Not even playthroughs will do it for you.

I mean, I loved Sonic 2006 and thought Sonic Unleashed was mediocre.(oddly enough, I'm not the only one) But that doesn't mean people shouldn't try either game.

Shorthand version: Reviews are too biased to be accurate to how you should feel.

Likewise, at another forum, there's a person who never has played Sonic 2006, but says it sucks only because most of the reviews do. I mean, he's not completely off in a way, but it ain't his opinion he's saying, since how can you a good one without playing the game? Misinformed. It's the same as if I were to tell someone Sonic 2006 was perfect so they'd play it. Which is why word of mouth isn't always the best way to form an opinion of. Atleast, when you can find out firsthand how true what someone else said is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom