• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yes, its surprising we never got Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, EarthBound, and Donkey Kong 64. They should have used WiiWare and the VC to hold Wii owners over in software droughts.

Its absurd how the Wii is the console market leader yet had a droughts similar to the GameCube and Nintendo 64. I would venture to say that the GameCube had better third-party games than the Wii did.

The lack of hype for the Wii U compared to the Wii also shows how many fans have been burned by the Wii. However, I will commend the Wii for making 2-D platformers mainstream again.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
*strums harp*

la-la-laa
Wise in your own eyes, yet blind to all in your many words you stand to fall.
Too much thought in what ought not while never seeking what should be sought.
la-la-laa
Folly your name and ignorance thy crest with seeds of hatred upon thy breast.
A man caught in the vexation of many a season, so is your rage against all reason.
Try as you might you will never avail, and in every debate you are destined to fail.

*strums harp*

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
@SSBF change Jiro to Dillon... apparently, that's the character's name.

... star... google search can't find what those lyrics are from... is it zelda's or something?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
^^^I'm hyped for rolling western and if it does well we may very well see dillon in ssb4 granted he can bring something unique

:phone:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yes, its surprising we never got Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, EarthBound, and Donkey Kong 64. They should have used WiiWare and the VC to hold Wii owners over in software droughts.

Its absurd how the Wii is the console market leader yet had a droughts similar to the GameCube and Nintendo 64. I would venture to say that the GameCube had better third-party games than the Wii did.

The lack of hype for the Wii U compared to the Wii also shows how many fans have been burned by the Wii. However, I will commend the Wii for making 2-D platformers mainstream again.
Not having those fours titles is almost a travesty worthy of insurrection of the most vitriol form.

D

Deleted member

Supposedly, there are legal issues for Tetris Attack and Earthbound and Star Fox didn't get release due to "emulation issues". Rare did say that Nintendo had the full right to release DK64 on the VC, so I'm surprised they didn't do so. Either way, the fact we never saw those is due to laziness and not to inability to do so.

There were a few quality titles on the VC and WiiWare this year, so they weren't completely forgotten, but they were much more underwhelming in comparison to past years and will continue to get worse.

For third-party support on the Wii, I think Gamecube had better multi-platform support and Wii did better in exclusives if you ask me and I really do think Wii had better support then the Gamecube. However, Nintendo has not had a platform with great third-party support since the SNES, which hopefully the Wii-U provides.

I think a big reason as to why the Wii-U did not have as much hype is because of how poorly the Wii-U was introduced at E3 2011. If it had a great introduction, perhaps we would be seeing lots of hype for it.

Thunder_slash

Smash Cadet
Hello again people.

One thing Chrono, Wii has more 3rd party games than Gamecube in all genres (e.g. Call of Duty, PES, Rayman (If you ask, I'm talking about Origins), etc.), so don´t think Wii has worst 3rd parties than Gamecube.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
... star... google search can't find what those lyrics are from... is it zelda's or something?
I made them up off of the top of my head. That is why you shall not find them beyond this board. They are like glistening jewels I have shared with you all from the depths of my literary, and rhyming, trove in my mind. ;)

As you can see I am in QUITE the jovial mood at this moment. lol

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I made them up off of the top of my head. That is why you shall not find them beyond this board. They are like glistening jewels I have shared with you all from the depths of my literary, and rhyming, trove in my mind. ;)

As you can see I am in QUITE the jovial mood at this moment. lol
Do Free Bird.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Chrome should not even have a fanbase. He is practically a leaner Ike that ran out of hair gel.

Its hilarious how people think lords other than Roy have a practical chance. Heck, if you even bring up Roy's Japanese popularity they go "la la la can't hear you, he's the worst lord, la la la."
Agreed. Although I didn't know they didn't like Roy on Gamefaqs? Not that I'm surprised. :rolleyes:

GameFAQ's is ********.
This is sig worthy. :laugh:

Lucario over a 3rd Gen rep? Ike over Hector, who'd be more unique?
Well Lucario does have a very large fanbase.

As for Ike, he can use Axes like Hector technically, so...

FE13 will almost certainly have an international release. Heck, it was absurd that FE12 was not internationally released.
I want them to release it so bad! :(

At least the translation blog is moving at a good pace.

@Chrono: Which reminds me, they are/were running a small FE Smash poll, if you didn't see, it has some interesting results.

*strums harp*

la-la-laa
Wise in your own eyes, yet blind to all in your many words you stand to fall.
Too much thought in what ought not while never seeking what should be sought.
la-la-laa
Folly your name and ignorance thy crest with seeds of hatred upon thy breast.
A man caught in the vexation of many a season, so is your rage against all reason.
Try as you might you will never avail, and in every debate you are destined to fail.

*strums harp*
For writing that all by yourself, you get my post of the day. ;)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well Lucario does have a very large fanbase.

As for Ike, he can use Axes like Hector technically, so...
Lucario's not very special anyway. He was shoehorned in when they had many good 3rd Gen reps first. Now, if we got a 3rd and 4th gen rep, that would've been fine.

And Ike used a sword in Brawl, so that means little.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Who else here thinks Magma Flows would be a great track to fight with?
Just wonderin', since I don't recall anyone posting Kirby music ideas?

(Sorry that this is off-topic) :p

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I FINALLY CAUGHT UP. YES.

Anyway, here's some responses to the last 10+ pages:
-That AT thing got responses. Cool; I thought about Pokemon having an AT but generally went "since there's pokeballs, what's the point?". However, since you guys brought up having an acctual non-pokemon character doing something crazy like that snap guy, I think a pokemon series AT could work with enough creativity and effort.

There was an argument in the pre-Melee days that Rare's characters (including Diddy) could not get in since they were owned by Rare. This line of thinking made some people support Donkey Kong Junior's as Melee's Donkey Kong newcomer.

Its a shame that Rare got bought out. Banjo-Kazooie and Joanna Dark would have made some interesting fighters in Smash Bros.
I agree 100% on the Bear and Bird. If the rumor about Rare wanting to do a 3DS game is true, and a good game comes out of it (regardless of it involving Banjo, Joanna or whoever's good), then speculation can be reborn.

You know who'd been awesome? Crash Bandicoot.
One of my all-time favorite characters? AGREED; hopefully he wouldn't have had a moveset that's just spin, slide and bodyslam.

Hello again people.

One thing Chrono, Wii has more 3rd party games than Gamecube in all genres (e.g. Call of Duty, PES, Rayman (If you ask, I'm talking about Origins), etc.), so don´t think Wii has worst 3rd parties than Gamecube.
Yea, it did have more, but most of it was just developers taking advantage of the system's...uniqueness as they filled it with shovelware. From a quality standpoint I think it is worse, but its a different story quantity-wise. CoD was the worst on the Wii, but hopefully Origins does well and boosts Rayman's approval.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Lucario's not very special anyway. He was shoehorned in when they had many good 3rd Gen reps first. Now, if we got a 3rd and 4th gen rep, that would've been fine.

And Ike used a sword in Brawl, so that means little.
While I won't go all Steam with this, Lucario was and still retains a lot of his popularity within the Pokemon community. And from what I've seen Lucario's popularity exceeds all 3rd, 4th, and 5th Gen Pokemon, except for the 3rd and 5th Gen version mascots. The only difference now is that the 4th Gen is outdated.

Ike was based on his FE9 incarnation in Brawl. He uses axes in FE10 which was in development at the same time as Brawl so, while I can't say it'll happen for sure, chances are he'll be based on his FE10 incarnation so it's just another option for him similar to the spoon, if he returns of course. Giving him his axe, makes more sense than Eruption IMO.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I won't go all Steam with this, Lucario was and still retains a lot of his popularity within the Pokemon community. And from what I've seen Lucario's popularity exceeds all 3rd, 4th, and 5th Gen Pokemon, except for the 3rd and 5th Gen version mascots. The only difference now is that the 4th Gen is outdated.
I could care less about a character that should've never been in Brawl before a 3rd Gen Rep. He was still shoehorned in to advertise the 4th Gen, when the 3rd Gen deserved Rep just as much. It was also popular as hell. And more original.

Ike was based on his FE9 incarnation in Brawl. He uses axes in FE10 which was in development at the same time as Brawl so, while I can't say it'll happen for sure, chances are he'll be based on his FE10 incarnation so it's just another option for him similar to the spoon, if he returns of course. Giving him his axe, makes more sense than Eruption IMO.
If FE10 wasn't done before Brawl, it made no sense to give him a weapon people wouldn't recognize him with. I would've liked the axe, but the sword makes more sense logically. I agree with Sakurai's decision. Would've preferred Hector regardless.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I could care less about a character that should've never been in Brawl before a 3rd Gen Rep. He was still shoehorned in to advertise the 4th Gen, when the 3rd Gen deserved Rep just as much. It was also popular as hell. And more original.

If FE10 wasn't done before Brawl, it made no sense to give him a weapon people wouldn't recognize him with. I would've liked the axe, but the sword makes more sense logically. I agree with Sakurai's decision. Would've preferred Hector regardless.
Lucario's popular, that's my only point. Anyway I, just as much as anyone else, would like to see a 3rd Gen rep. My vote goes to Deoxys. :cool:

Yep, I agree with you and Sakurai. My only point was that he could get it for SSB4 if he returns. Eruption, IMO, is too Roy-ish, and it would be an easy way to de-clone Roy while making Ike more realistic to his own series.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, if you meant Ike Version 2 with an Axe... I'd rather have Hector for new rep, imo.

And popularity isn't a good enough reason for me to skip an entire generation. Because people who like him is entirely subjective(hint: I hate almost all of 4th gen, except Pachirisu and new Ghost Pokemon). Getting one from each generation(regardless of choice) is an objective way to do it, since it's fair rep.

Anyway, Ike isn't really a clone, unless you mean pretty much a revamp Roy. He practically has two moves in common with Marth(Counter, and Eruption isn't much different from Shield Breaker in general), and sword users generally have similar A moves, so that doesn't count. Their Final Smashes are barely similar.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh, if you meant Ike Version 2 with an Axe... I'd rather have Hector for new rep, imo.

And popularity isn't a good enough reason for me to skip an entire generation. Because people who like him is entirely subjective(hint: I hate almost all of 4th gen, except Pachirisu and new Ghost Pokemon). Getting one from each generation(regardless of choice) is an objective way to do it, since it's fair rep.

Anyway, Ike isn't really a clone, unless you mean pretty much a revamp Roy. He practically has two moves in common with Marth(Counter, and Eruption isn't much different from Shield Breaker in general), and sword users generally have similar A moves, so that doesn't count. Their Final Smashes are barely similar.
Well I repect your opinon. Hector was a much better lord, IMO, than Eliwood, maybe Lyn.

I can see why you hate Lucario though, there are way too many fanboys. :laugh:

But Pachirisu? Sorry but I think that's a little weird. :p

Also I never said Ike was a clone. I said I would like Ike to be more realistic to his games, and Eruption could go to Roy to help de-clone him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well I repect your opinon. Hector was a much better lord, IMO, than Eliwood, maybe Lyn.
Lyn would've worked too. IMO, my only FE characters in Brawl would've been Lyn and Hector.

I can see why you hate Lucario though, there are way too many fanboys. :laugh:
I just don't find the character interesting, really.

But Pachirisu? Sorry but I think that's a little weird. :p
Pick Up. Reasonable moveset. Cute. I could go on.

Also I never said Ike was a clone. I said I would like Ike to be more realistic to his games, and Eruption could go to Roy to help de-clone him.
Oh. Well, they needed a heavy swordsman to replace Roy... I hope he gets an Axe, while Roy takes over Ike's moveset, and we get one more new character.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I actually think popularity is one of the best reasons to skip over a generation. If everyone hates generation 5 Pokemon minus a small faction but everyone loved a new 6th gen pokemon, assuming equal moveset potential in a game based on fan service, it makes more sense from a business and social viewpoint to put in gen6 poke X over gen5 poke y.

IMO

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Too bad Generation 3 was not hated. Also Generation 5 is popular as hell. Thus, my point still stands.

Lucario was shoehorned in.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I actually think popularity is one of the best reasons to skip over a generation. If everyone hates generation 5 Pokemon minus a small faction but everyone loved a new 6th gen pokemon, assuming equal moveset potential in a game based on fan service, it makes more sense from a business and social viewpoint to put in gen6 poke X over gen5 poke y.

IMO

Well that makes sense in my opinion. And ironically that's a similar situation to the 3rd and 4th Gens.

Both were great games, but I've seen a lot more praise go towards the 4th Gen Pokemon in terms of design and originality than the 3rd Gen Pokemon.

I haven't heard much just yet about comparisons between the 4th and 5th Gen Pokemon, but like I said Lucario so far has them beat except for the version mascots. And the war's still going on so it's still early to know what'll happen with the legacy of the 5th Gen and the Pokemon who represent it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Chronobound brought this up the other day, but I am just going to drop the pic.

Miyamoto sent Sakurai a pre-release copy of Super Mario 3D Land with a letter. Why does Sakurai not want us to see it? Hmm... Must be something secretive concerning Super Smash Bros... After all EVERYTHING he does is a clue about Super Smash Bros. Why else is he such good friends with Kojima? Trolls of a club stick together.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@hyper
You missed my point -_-
I was trying to say that popularity is important, not saying that any generation was actually hated.

Assuming --- isn't just referring to a biased sample and people generally do prefer gen4 over gen3 it is better in almost all aspects to go with popular opinion and please the most people.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not. Every Generation was immensely popular.

But I'm being a realist here. 4th Gen didn't deserve rep before 3rd, that's all.

Gen 4 was still good, but there wasn't enough new and original Pokemon. A good chunk was just giving old ones evolutions, especially ones that didn't need it anyway.(plus, no Jynx? Seriously?!)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
disfunkshunal;13655054 Assuming --- isn't just referring to a biased sample and people generally do prefer gen4 over gen3 it is better in almost all aspects to go with popular opinion and please the most people. [size=1 said:
I wasn't talking about the games, I ment the designs of the Pokemon.

But seeing as I can't really prove this, just yet, seeing as it's my own personal experiences. I don't blame ya for taking my opinons with a grain of salt.

Also I'm wondering if I should add that Mario pic to the backroom.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
People seem to forget there are Pokéballs for a reason. That contains a large portion of the "representation".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Doesn't count for playable rep. 3rd Gen was shafted there. 1st Gen has 7 playable characters throughout the games.(Pokemon Trainer himself being included) 2nd and 4th have 1 each. We still need a 3rd Gen playable rep. Trainer doesn't count either, as that's his 1st Gen design as is. Nor is he using 3rd Pokemon. There is no 3rd Gen playable rep to date.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Good point Star.

But seeing as Pichu was shafted and wasn't even planned for Brawl at all, I do doubt Sakurai cares about Gen representation at all.

The 3rd Gen may also fall into this, but seeing as it can't be proven by the leftover data, I won't get into that.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Doesn't count for playable rep. 3rd Gen was shafted there. 1st Gen has 7 playable characters throughout the games.(Pokemon Trainer himself being included) 2nd and 4th have 1 each. We still need a 3rd Gen playable rep. Trainer doesn't count either, as that's his 1st Gen design as is. Nor is he using 3rd Pokemon. There is no 3rd Gen playable rep to date.
We don't need anything. There is no rule stating there has to be a playable representative for every generation. Heck, there is barely even a legitimate pattern.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pikachu (Pichu model swap)
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Doexys
Victini

GAME. OVER.

I honestly wouldn't even care if there wasn't a pokemon newcomer (unlikely obviously). There are too many to choose from. I don't see anything special in legendary pokemon anymore.
Shut up. Not even funny.

Pokemon is one of the FEW things I actually look forward to in terms of characters. I am most definitely not the only one.

yani_

Smash Ace
I do doubt Sakurai cares about Gen representation at all.
This. Specific Gen representation seems like such a pain now. I honestly wouldn't even care if there wasn't a pokemon newcomer (unlikely obviously). There are too many to choose from. I don't see anything special in legendary pokemon anymore.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We don't need anything. There is no rule stating there has to be a playable representative for every generation. Heck, there is barely even a legitimate pattern.
Horsecrap. Every Gen deserves playable rep. Also, Minun & Plusle were planned. All Generations were meant to be repped.

The whole pattern has been add one new Gen, and one 1st Gen. That hasn't changed in all 3 games.

SSB64 added Pikachu as the latest Gen, then Jigglypuff as another 1st Gen. Melee added Pichu as the latest Gen, being 3rd, and another 1st Gen in Mewtwo. Brawl added Lucario at the latest Gen, and Pokemon Trainer as 1st Gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom