• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I want to know what's up with GameFAQs and their hate of Roy. Its not like any other lord besides Chrome (another blue-haired lord with a similar build as Ike) has any chance of getting in. They also all seem to think Ike is not vulnerable at all to being cut.
Let's not forget their hatred for Toad as well. While it is understandable that he has many competitors, the annoying part is that a lot of those guys believe that characters like Waluigi and Rosalina actually stand a better chances than Toad. He also did very poorly on the roster poll (even Tingle did better for speaking outloud!).

Gamefaqs users are generally always sarcastic and never provide logic in their thoughts. Again, it is unfortunate that they are a big part of the Smash Bros. community.

yani_

Smash Ace
I agree. I've never been on GameFAQs(THANK JEEZUM), but after hearing some of the things you guys have posted about them, I'm starting to wonder about their thought processes. Roy is obviously the best choice, and if Chrome DOES get in, he'll probably replace Ike. Marth's not going anywhere. So in short, I have decided I hate GameFaqs.

:glare: Stupid GameFaqers...

:phone:
I hate it too. I made an account there just to troll :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The problem is that there are many characters that are more well-known within Smash Bros. than outside of it.

Marth, Roy, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and ROB are all more know for Smash Bros. than the actual games they appeared in (well in Japan, Marth and Ness are very well known due to how popular FE3 and Mother 2 were there). Heck, some characters like Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Jigglypuff are more notable as characters in Smash Bros. than they are in their actual series.

Also, despite being unknown to most players, these characters were very well-received by Smash fans.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Another thing I forgot to mention, what's up the EXP points that the Sm4sh bros characters can get while playing?

Are they seriously trying to turn this game series into an RPG? That could lead to SEVERE un-balanced characters...(e.g. Ganondorf, ATK = 999, DEF = 999, SPD = 999). I REALLY doubt it'll work like that, but still...it doesn't hurt to look at the issue from all sides here. And please don't say "That's impossible because they won't let anyone get to XXX amount of ATK/DEF/SPD!!!"; because none of us honestly know what the heck is going on here. They could take the EXP thing out entirely (which, imo, is probably for the best u.u).

EDIT: Rare was bought out by Microsoft, NOT Nintendo. There hasn't been any Rare characters to this point in time. How could Rare even program for Nintendo, if it isn't part of the company? o.o
Isn't Donkey Kong a Rare character?

I remember from the intro of DK Country

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@Chrono ROB and Ice Climbers, for example? Don't deny it, who knew about ROB? Barely anyone.
Well you could technically say that people knew of ROB from Mario Kart DS (one of the highest selling games for the DS), but before that he was barely known.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Well you could technically say that people knew of ROB from Mario Kart DS (one of the highest selling games for the DS), but before that he was barely known.
Ah, right. But still. Who knew who he was without asking at that time? Altho ROB was, and is, a hero to Nintendo, no one really remembered it. Ironic :facepalm:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem is that there are many characters that are more well-known within Smash Bros. than outside of it.

Marth, Roy, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and ROB are all more know for Smash Bros. than the actual games they appeared in (well in Japan, Marth and Ness are very well known due to how popular FE3 and Mother 2 were there). Heck, some characters like Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Jigglypuff are more notable as characters in Smash Bros. than they are in their actual series.
I only didn't know about Marth, Roy, Lucas, and that was it. I know about everybody else, because I recognize their series, which all had American releases. And I'm going to have to disagree. I knew all of those characters and loved them in the original series, not because of Smash. Smash doesn't make any characters well known unless they weren't released worldwide, THEN and only then does it promote them specifically. Also, I do believe I know about Lucas before Brawl. But that's because Mother 2 was known outside of Japan as Earthbound, and many Mother fans in general exist. What's the first Fire Emblem game to come out in America and who did it star?

Also, despite being unknown to most players, these characters were very well-received by Smash fans.
Not everybody liked Roy or knew who he was. I ask again: What playable Fire Emblem American game is he in?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No. Nintendo owns everything DK related. Rare just made the games.
There was an argument in the pre-Melee days that Rare's characters (including Diddy) could not get in since they were owned by Rare. This line of thinking made some people support Donkey Kong Junior's as Melee's Donkey Kong newcomer.

Its a shame that Rare got bought out. Banjo-Kazooie and Joanna Dark would have made some interesting fighters in Smash Bros.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
You know who'd been awesome? Crash Bandicoot.

Also, news to all HyperBlade members and others, if they are interested. I now have a Youtube Chatube up. It's a discussion of 3rd party characters... on Youtube! :awesome:
Plus the video is pretty awesome.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@asage He's just a true example of an unsung hero. He asked for no credit, so no one gave him any. Then he rode valiantly off into the blazing western sunset on his robotic horse, the wind blowing through his alloyed core. Then he found Mario Kart...

But anyway, @SSBF, I suggest adding Muddy Mole to that big poll/list of yours. He arguably has more supporters than some on there that do, such as Alice, Diskun, and Birdo. Just a suggestion.

yani_

Smash Ace
There was an argument in the pre-Melee days that Rare's characters (including Diddy) could not get in since they were owned by Rare. This line of thinking made some people support Donkey Kong Junior's as Melee's Donkey Kong newcomer.

Its a shame that Rare got bought out. Banjo-Kazooie and Joanna Dark would have made some interesting fighters in Smash Bros.
Yeah to my knowledge Rare designed DK's model in Melee and once the buyout occurred there was no time for Diddy ( might be wrong though).

It really is a shame Rare got bought out. I would've loved Banjo-Kazooie in smash.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@asage He's just a true example of an unsung hero. He asked for no credit, so no one gave him any. Then he rode valiantly off into the blazing western sunset on his robotic horse, the wind blowing through his alloyed core. Then he found Mario Kart...

Wow... That was... Beautiful, actually.

D

Deleted member

Let's not forget their hatred for Toad as well. While it is understandable that he has many competitors, the annoying part is that a lot of those guys believe that characters like Waluigi and Rosalina actually stand a better chances than Toad. He also did very poorly on the roster poll (even Tingle did better for speaking outloud!).

Gamefaqs users are generally always sarcastic and never provide logic in their thoughts. Again, it is unfortunate that they are a big part of the Smash Bros. community.
I don't really understand the hate on Toad at all either. The fact that they consider Waluigi and Rosalina better choices makes me wonder if they understand how much Sakurai takes into account importance to series. And the poor poll results was unfortunately something to be expected.

The bright side is that Victini (for supporters) has gained many supporters on GameFAQs, here, and even a few on Nsider2 and Youtube. Slowly but surely, it is being accepted as a serious candidate for SSB4 and it's starting to look as GameFAQs prefers Victini over Zoroark overall, especially with recent polls on that site favoring Victini. However, this is just one character. There are still more good choices that needs more support; most noticeably Roy and Toad. Vaztor71 also needs to get off the Ridley hate train as he's just saying the same thing over and over again.

@Opossum: Okay, I will. Here's the list now...
Super Mario Bros.
Bowser Jr.
Toad
Paper Mario
Waluigi
Rosalina
Daisy
Dr. Mario
Fawful
Birdo

Donkey Kong:
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong

Yoshi:
Kamek
Baby Mario & Baby Luigi

Wario:
Captain Syrup
Ashley
Mona
Jimmy T
9-Volt
Kat & Ana

The Legend of Zelda:
Young Link
Majora's Mask Young Link
Ghirahim
Tingle
Toon Zelda & Toon Sheik/Tetra
Vaati
Midna
Zant
Skull Kid
Wolf Link & Midna

Metroid:
Ridley
Dark Samus
Anthony Higgs

Kirby:
Bandanna Dee
Knuckle Joe
Dark Matter
Rick

Star Fox:
Krystal
Leon
Slippy

Pokemon:
Zoroark
Victini
Genesect
Meloetta
Keldeo
Mewtwo
Meowth
Pichu
Heracross
Deoxys
Plusle & Minun
Gardevior
Darkrai
Pokemon Ranger
2nd gen Pokemon Trainer
3rd gen Pokemon Trainer
4th gen Pokemon Trainer
5th gen Pokemon Trainer

F-zero:
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow

Mother:
Masked Man/Claus
Poo
Paula
Jeff
Ninten

Fire Emblem:
Roy
Krom
Lyn
Hector
Elliwood
Ephiram
Michaiah
Soren
Black Knight
Sigurd
Caeda
Leaf
Liz
My Unit

Kid Icarus:
Palutena
Medusa
Magnus

Pikmin:
Louie

New Series:
Little Mac
Isaac
Matthew
Saki Amamiya
Isa Jo
Starfy
Ray
Shulk
Kanan
Elza
Captain Rainbow
Tom Nook
Animal Crosser
K. K. Slider
Mii
Kalas
Alexandria Rovias
Chibi-Robo
Andy
Jiro
Jill Dozer

Retro:
Lip
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Duck Hunt Dog
Sheriff
Diskun
Balloon Fighter
Alice
Sukapon
Muddy Mole

Third-Party:
Mega Man
Proto Man
Bass
Zero
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Zack & Wiki
Phoenix Wright
Leon Kennedy
Chris Redfield
Jill Valentine
Viewtiful Joe
Geno
Mallow
Neku Sakuraba
Lloyd Irving
Cless Alvien
Marina Liteyears
Crono
Magus
Duke Nukem
Slime
Sora
Cloud
Chocobo
Moogle
Professor Layton
Ryu Haybausa
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Dr. Eggman
Grey Fox
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Goemon
Rayman
Travis Touchdown
Pac-Man
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Earthworm Jim

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@SSBF You'd probably know so more than I, since you compiled the list for that poll thing. Are there a good amount of Diskun supporters? Whenever I (rarely) see him brought up, the idea is usually shot down immediately.

D

Deleted member

@SSBF: I found out that Zoroark is being pitted by Lucario in B&W! Ooh, Zoroark's in a tight spot now!
I'm not sure how that's suppose to affect his chances by any means and I'm not sure what you're saying.

@Opossum: I'm just trying to comply a list of characters for my spin on McSnappleton's Top Roster Candidate (which basically has the person vote for their most wanted character). Basically contains characters I have seen suggested a few times.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Which is why I say the fanbase will eat almost anything up, so long as it's executed properly.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@SSBF I just recieved a poll result from my friend Dave, and I am totally shocked. The poll was "Who would you rather have on your team? Z or L?". Here is the results.
Zoroark: 8% <-- Holy S***!
Lucario: 92% <--- Holy Double S***!!

I was purely astounded, but I can't back up the poll. It was a manual Poll done in a Pokemon Fanclub in N.Y.. This can mean something. People still like Lucario (duh), but due to Zoroark's rating, this can effect his chances of appearence, if many people don't like him. Therefore, Victini has another 1-Up on Zoroark. I think it's awesome!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, to Shortie, I don't support Lip. I simply think she would be the most interest of the Japan-only retros. I did make a moveset for her though.

If there is a female character that I do support, its Dixie Kong. I might be convinced to get behind Palutena and Medusa depending on how they are in Kid Icarus Uprising.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Also, to Shortie, I don't support Lip. I simply think she would be the most interest of the Japan-only retros. I did make a moveset for her though.
Well you used to talk about her a **** load, so you could have fooled me.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@Shortie Lip... Now I remember that name somewhere... Isn't she from some puzzle game?

@SSBF My essay (forgot to tell you) is being postponed for now for some reasons I'm not getting into. But it'll be done, no worries ;)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well you used to talk about her a **** load, so you could have fooled me.
I have probably had a lot of discussion for almost every character that is being talked about for Smash 4.

I think its possible for even the OVAs to build up Palutena and Medusa's popularity.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
She's from Panel De Pon. She's this little fairy girl I think.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@Shortie Ah, now I remember, thanks! BTW I just noticed that the flower she's using... isn't that... Oh wow :facepalm: Lip's Stick.... I didn't know why it was called Lip's Stick for awhile now...

D

Deleted member

@SSBF I just recieved a poll result from my friend Dave, and I am totally shocked. The poll was "Who would you rather have on your team? Z or L?". Here is the results.
Zoroark: 8% <-- Holy S***!
Lucario: 92% <--- Holy Double S***!!

I was purely astounded, but I can't back up the poll. It was a manual Poll done in a Pokemon Fanclub in N.Y.. This can mean something. People still like Lucario (duh), but due to Zoroark's rating, this can effect his chances of appearence, if many people don't like him. Therefore, Victini has another 1-Up on Zoroark. I think it's awesome!
I expected Lucario to be preferred over Zoroark, but it is surprising how much Lucario is preferred. But I think a better question is if they prefer Zoroark or Victini on their team, although seeing as Zoroark is over used and Victini is under used, we probably know the answer.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Isn't it Krom vs Ike, not Krom vs Roy?

I think the biggest factor in this is whether or not FE13 has an international release, BUT that may be silly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...I knew about Lip well before the Lip's Stick too. I like my Japanese knowledge.

Anyway, as I said before, Lip could easily be a magician, something we need. Also, retro character spot, and she would've been in America if her game wasn't change into, I think it was a Kirby game.

@Oasis: Actually, I think that really is the key factor. An international release will get more hype for a character since they're more known due to that. Popularity requires knowledge. Worldwide releases increases knowledge. Basic math and all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Isn't it Krom vs Ike, not Krom vs Roy?

I think the biggest factor in this is whether or not FE13 has an international release, BUT that may be silly.
FE13 will almost certainly have an international release. Heck, it was absurd that FE12 was not internationally released.

To HyperFalcon, Panel de Pon was changed into Tetris Attack (which had characters from Yoshi's Island).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@SSBF Although that's true, there's good reason why, I think.
Victini is a Legendary PKMN, which not many ppl use neways (Dunno why...). Plus most ppl couldnt get access to Victini. I'll be finding out this newest Victini giveaway (Wi-Fi here, bud), and I'll be seeing who all gets him, and why.

@HyperFalcon Magician? I thought u were into Brian :awesome:

D

Deleted member

...I knew about Lip well before the Lip's Stick too. I like my Japanese knowledge.

Anyway, as I said before, Lip could easily be a magician, something we need. Also, retro character spot, and she would've been in America if her game wasn't change into, I think it was a Kirby game.

@Oasis: Actually, I think that really is the key factor. An international release will get more hype for a character since they're more known due to that. Popularity requires knowledge. Worldwide releases increases knowledge. Basic math and all.
It was Tetris Attack, a Yoshi game. It's too bad neither versions are likely to see a VC release due to NoA's unwillingness to put forth effort to solve licensing issues. If they can't be bothered to get Earthbound on the VC, I have little hope for the future of the service.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well yeah, FE12 not getting an international release was surely absurd because one would be CERTAIN that it WOULD be internationally released. Though I guess FE13 would play an important part in the 3DS's lineup of games. And it's not a remake.

Eugh, can't we just have Marth, Ike, Roy, and Krom to make everyone happy. Unless no one likes Krom after his game is released.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@ChronoBound: I forgot which one. Either way, she's awesome.

@Asage: Never can have too many Magicians! Also, I'm not into shota, man.

D

Deleted member

At least we got Castlevania Rondo of Blood and Ogre Battle 64, both of which are incredibly rare games outside of the service.
The Virtual Console certainly has a lot of fantastic games, but I really do think that Nintendo didn't really think about rationalizing games for the future so we wouldn't be stuck in this drought we may not get out of. Then again, being someone who forsaw the downfall of the VC, I'm still bitter about some of the ways they've approached the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom