• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Ok, may as well post my mains since all the cool kids are doing it:

64: Pikachu, Mario
Melee: Mario, Marth
Brawl: Sonic

Brawl Secondaries: Mario, Olimar, PT

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Smashfests, Money Matches, and Tournaments will always make you better and faster than wifi ever will.

/real talk

Agreed.

This is why I hope to get my Wii working again and why I'm hoping to get more options in SSB4's Wi-Fi so you don't always have to fight 3 other people at once with items.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I'm 5'10
And I weigh 132 lbs... anyway as for mains

SSBB: Diddy Kong
Secondaries: Lucario,Wario
SSBM: Falco
Secondaries: Kirby,Pikachu
SSB: Kirby

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I didn't post my SSB and SSBM mains.

SSB64: Ness, Yoshi

SSBM: Pichu, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers

If I had to have a fourth main group in Brawl, it would probably be: ROB, Luigi, Ice Climbers.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma: Too long? I'm gonna guess that you made some total revamps in some movesets
Not exactly. I was going to go in depth with the different changes I had in mind, to explain why I want these changes. Movesets, I'm not quite sure what I'd do. Although, I may use Fox, Ness, and Mario as examples for the changes.

51V3

Smash Rookie
@51v3 Custom creation? I think from what I heard is that you can connect the 3DS with the Wii-U and transfer custom-made characters. I vote for it, cause I can make my comic dude from my comic series.
Oh okay, thank you muchly! :)

I'm sure I mis-read it, but that clears it up by about 100%. Thanks! So you can basically make ANY character, then? Like Chrono and Waluigi? If so, my vote is in as well! Still, I wonder how you'll be able to make their moveset(s)?

And here's my REAL mains for each game:

SSB64: -Combo Calamity Clan- Fox, Mario, Ness
SSBM: -Direct Impact Clan- Capt. Falcon, Dr. Mario, Ganon, Mr. G&W, Ness
SSBB: -The Outlaws Clan- Diddy Kong, Mr. G&W, Ness, Wario
(NOTE: All above clan names used above were used primarily by me and my friends.)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
TOO LATE. It closed. BD

I don't need a bunch'a homos looking at me anyhow.

I want to know more heights. ALL OF THEM. (I'm 5' 8", 160 lbs.
1.74m, 72kg
) I wish Nintendo would give official heights to more of their characters. :V I think Ridley would average out at around... 18 feet tall. :awesome:

TALLEST NEWCOMER?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm, I was looking around SF and I found quite a few interesting things about the support for FE in Smash.

It seems most people think Lyn should stay as an AT.
Still think Micaiah has a chance.

They also have a Smash poll, it ends in a few days, and so far based on about 450 votes (you can vote for more than one character) Marth and Lyn are the most popular, followed by Ike, followed by Hector and the FE8 lords, then Roy, then Chrome. With votes for Medeus to at least make an appearance (boss?). Interesting stuff.

Although I do wish they had BK and Caeda on it. :3

I also looked on the Japanese wiki for FE, Marth, Caeda, the Pegasus Sisters, Camus, Dragons, Roy, Ike, and Laguz have their own personal pages. :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder if they could find a way to put speed boost into sonic's new smash moveset

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Purpose: To update the Smash series based off of the current trend of fighting games while maintaining its unique appeal. The reason to update is to allow more diversity in playstyles while keeping the game rooted in its core design.

[COLLAPSE="Controls"]The control scheme has changed drastically from past titles to allow more character diversity and to increase the pace of the game. The changes will be presented in more step, but here is an overview.
Control Stick – Move
A, X, and Y – The three attack buttons
B – The special button
L – Block
R – Shield
Z – Jump
Grab is now strictly B+L. Tether grabs are done with Forward B+L.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Offense"]To update the Smash series, numerous changes were made to system to allow more offense in the game and to speed up matches to the point where 3 stock matches could take at max around 4 minutes.

The New Attack Buttons: Instead of having a single button for specials, the attacks have been spread to three buttons. For each button, is the following template for attack inputs:
Neutral, forward, down, up, NAir, and FAir. There is a downforward input for Y.
Each of these buttons correspond to strength with A, X, and Y being Light, Medium, and Heavy respectively. The purpose of this was to introduce chains to the game giving us true combos instead of constant DI reads. A sample input for a chain combo might be 5A> 6A > 5B > 8C for a launcher combo. Every character has trees to their chains so it’s your job to find what the trees are. Now onto DI.

DI, in my opinion, has been made more complicated than it needs to be. As such, I’m suggesting that strictly Smash DI remains so as to preserve Smash’s original mixup game. One major change though is that not every move will have DI properties. What moves do and don’t vary from character. A character with a strong mixup game may have numerous DI moves, but those with weak ones will have a small pool of mixup options. Again, this is to increase character diversity.

The next part on offense is the changes to specials. Specials are still done like they have been in the past with a new change. There are four versions of every special now. These correspond to Light, Medium, Heavy, and Smash Specials. The inputs are B, A+B, X+B, and Y+B. Each one will give you a different version of a special. However, this can be changed to where you have four separate specials on that directional input. For example, Fox could have Laser, Downward Laser, Sensor Bomb, and Gatling Gun respectively. To use your Y+B though, comes at a cost which is the next topic: The Smash Meter.

The Smash Meter, in simplest terms, is a super meter. The meter is broken into four parts. To use Smash Specials, you must use 25 Smash Points/one of your four parts to use it. There are some additional uses for the meter. You can use two bars to do a Quick Recovery. This technique stops whatever move you’re doing. This is used for extending combos and to get you out of a nasty situation if an unsafe move is blocked. For two bars as well, you can use your Super Smash attack which is essentially a much more balanced Final Smash. Mario’s would be a tamed version of his Mario Finale. The key thing about Super Smashes is that they can be blocked. They are not the broken supers in Brawl. The input for Super Smash attacks is QCF+B, assuming you’re facing the right.

At full meter, you have access to the Final Smash. These aren’t necessarily the moves from Brawl, but some will be for certain characters like Capt. Falcon’s Final Smash. These moves can only be activated when the opponent has taken a certain amount of damage and is on their last stock. These moves are instant kill moves and are more for flash than for practical use, but they are still viable options, but the usage of meter throughout matches makes them fairly unlikely to be seen at high level play. The input for Final Smashes is QCF+B, assuming you’re facing the right.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Defense"]
A common problem with Smash is that defensive options are either flat out dumb (Brawl) or are not adequate (previous Smash games). The following will attempt to address these issues.

Blocking has been, in the past, limited to a rather limited shield which breaks after a certain period of time. This would mean that someone with a good pressure string could use it over and over until the person got a shield break. So, to address this better, traditional blocking is implemented. Done by pressing the L button, you block all attacks facing you except for low attacks. To block those, hold down and block. Be warned that all aerials and select ground attacks require you to block high. The general rule is to block low while reacting to block high when needed.

Note that I said it blocks attacks facing you. This means that your back is defenseless. This introduces crossups, ambiguous or not, to the game which is another aspect of the mixup game. To turn around, just turn the stick in the intended direction. Another tip is to press the block button and put the stick in the direction you intend to block.

One thing about blocking is that you are subject to chip damage meaning you’ll take a small fraction of all damage you’d get otherwise. Shielding doesn’t have this issue.
Shielding no longer shrinks, but rather surrounds you constantly. The big change is that the shield simply gets weaker now instead of shrinking. Going in and out of shielding has been made instantaneous and every character can now jump out of shielding.

While defense in terms of attacks as been addressed, we haven’t gotten to grabs. The Grab Break, commonly knowing as teching, is a move done when two people grab at the same time or within a close span of each other. When it happens, both players bounce away from each other in stalemate. It’s a basic thing that I’m surprised has not been implemented. This also gives a reason to implement command grabs as those moves cannot be countered by teching.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Movement"]We all know Brawl is floaty and slow, and not all that fun compared to previous games. This tries to address this while adding in new mechanics and giving new flavor to old mechanics.

First up is the return of the infamous wavedash. Now, the input has been simplified. Now, by doing, Z+QCF or Z+QCB (note, this means you must press Z and then quickly do the motion), you can wavedash in either direction. This is fairly similar to the input for wavedashing in Tekken. I’d suggest something a little easier, but the game’s design doesn’t allow it.

Dash dancing returns as there is no pause while turning around. There is also no pause on stopping from running.

Momentum is now conserved just like in Melee. To add to this, you can now turn around in the air. This is done by doing a quick tap downward to the direction you want to face.

Next up is Air Dashing. This is pretty basic technique, but also very useful for characters like Jigglypuff. The input for this is to do 66 or 44 while in the air. It’s important to note that this will take away one of your jump stocks. This allows for better air mobility and some neat stuff I’m about to go into.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Canceling"]The big thing that will increase the pace of Smash is assorted cancels. These will take you out of the recovery of attacks to go into your next action.

Special canceling is the original canceling, discovered originally as a glitch in Street Fighter II. This is done by doing the input of the intended special just as you are about to land an attack with a normal. Some specials can cancel into other specials such as Marth’s Sword Dance. Note that not all special moves can be canceled into and not all normals can be canceled out of.

Jump Canceling – Like special canceling, except you cancel into a jump, either short or normal. One nasty example is to hit with Ness’ bat, short hop cancel, go immediately into Air Dash, and do what would be his FAir in current games. Obviously, this can help the ground game without hurting the aerial game.

Super Canceling – Like special cancelling but into supers. This can also be applied to Final Smashes.

Air Dash Canceling – Cancel from aerials into air dashes to follow up for more attacks. As I mentioned, this gets nasty with Jigglypuff and other multi-jump characters.

Dash Canceling - This is rather different from the other cancels. This requires you to run and then attack. What happens is that the momentum from the run is conserved into the movements of some of your attacks. This makes certain combos possible as a result.[/COLLAPSE]

And for those with similar heights. Damn, I've got at least 40-60 pounds on you guys. Muscle really does add to your weight.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
ok, i cave. Oasis, my shoe size is 10.5 :p

off topic: anybody else pissed off that the nba lockout is still existent

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think you're forgetting that simplicity is part of Smash's core design, Kuma.

...Although having tether grabs as side+grab would be neat and intuitive. Then those particular characters wouldn't have to resort to such laggy grabs all the time.

@Dr. Claw: Neat, we could swap shoes.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oasis let's me look at him :awesome:
Also, kumapants when I get home ill comment on what you've posted!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think you're forgetting that simplicity is part of Smash's core design, Kuma.

...Although having tether grabs as side+grab would be neat and intuitive. Then those particular characters wouldn't have to resort to such laggy grabs all the time.

@Dr. Claw: Neat, we could swap shoes.
Believe me, I could've made things more complex, but I tried to keep things simple. What I wanted to do was to have as low of an execution barrier as possible while increasing the number of options available.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh yeah I forgot to add my age
5'10 or 5'9
132 LBS

Your extraordinarily taller than me, yet you weigh a lot less. I'm not fat, so you must be uber thin

What does this have to do with smash, did I miss something?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm well I'm not sure about everything you think should happen Kuma, I must say that it would be interesting if we could air dash by double tapping (just like fast falling).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I thought so too. Assuming they went with the idea that Zelda must be Sheik and vice versa, it could very well be Impa.

Impa for Sm4sh?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
oh!! how old do sheikah get!! that could be Impa from way back!! a young Impa. after all, OoT Impa had white hair signifying her possible age.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Two attack buttons plus a throw are fine. We still have very elaborate movesets using those buttons as is. Not every button is required. I couldn't fully under the rest, so I can't comment on them, Kuma. But being simplistic is what makes Smash what it is. Being more technical makes it harder for all ages to get into it, or anyone who isn't great at games. It's a better learning ground for players that other Fighters can't provide by being way too damn complicated.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm, for all we know that may become Sheik's new design. :laugh:

But depending on how heavily SS and OOT connect in terms of story we may be seeing Zelda reps getting their designs based on not just on the most recent game in the series.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Two attack buttons plus a throw are fine. We still have very elaborate movesets using those buttons as is. Not every button is required. I couldn't fully under the rest, so I can't comment on them, Kuma. But being simplistic is what makes Smash what it is. Being more technical makes it harder for all ages to get into it, or anyone who isn't great at games. It's a better learning ground for players that other Fighters can't provide by being way too damn complicated.
This.
I also can't see someone using the Z button to jump.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
BTW guys, many are thinking Takamaru's already confirmed for SSB4 due this "Hirari Sakura Samurai"-game which is for 3DSWare. I don't think so much, since the game looks more like a prequel to the original, and doesn't even confirm itself of being a sequel to Nazo No Murasame Jo.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Weren't you the one advocating for pointless technical barriers like L-Canceling?

For elaborate movesets, I might as well show what happens when you translate the Smash normals to this new setup. I'll use Peach as an example.

5A: AAA
6A: FSmash Tennis Racket
2A: DTilt
8A: UTilt
j.A: NAir
j.6A: FAir

5X: FTilt
6X: FSmash Golf Club
2X: DSmash
8X: USmash
j.X: DAir
j.6X: UAir

5Y: New Move
6Y: FSmash Frying Pan
2Y: New Move
8Y: New Move
3Y: Universal Knockdown Attack
j.Y: BAir
j.6Y: New Move

For the most part, you'd be adding about 4-6 moves to veteran movesets. It's not as big of a change as you might think.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Woooooow, thats a weeeeebit too much kuma.

The cancelling system would be cool and add a huuuuge layer of depth to offense. And air dashing would help balance out characters like jiggs without making her broken like she was in melee. (although I think it should be specific to only some characters.)

Super gauge would be alot fun too play with too and I think casuals would like it alot as well as competetive players.

but, the blocking system and combo strings is a lil too much man. It would be way too much for casuals too have to block both high, and low, especially if you add the cancelling system, and the combo chain systems to the mix of pressure that needs to be blocked.

The way we block now works. Smash has always been more about avoiding having to block and managing how healthy you keep your shield. Thats why we have all the dodge commands. Besides, in a way we do have to block high low mix up by moving our shield around when its busted up.

The combo system also seems outta place. Like, I can't imagine a 6 year old remembering blazblue like combo strings. and it feels a little too...built in. Ya know what I mean? Take melee for example. Alot of the times your combo was based off of the opponents position. You just went with the momentum and kinda free styled on them to combo, predicting wear they'd be while there still in hitstun. I think thats more smash-ish.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thing is, a six year old doesn't have to do combos like that. They could just mess around and find out what does what on their own. If they're not going to compete in tournaments, it's not a problem in the long run. A six year old may be fine with doing the same two to three combos. And besides, I never never envisioned Smash combos to be very long. That's where the DI comes in. It's kind of a built in reset mechanic where you have to mixup your followup. The guaranteed part of a combo may only be somewhere between 4-6 attacks, but after that is where DI kicks in depending on the attacks used.

As for blocking, I think you're worrying too much about that as well. Casuals aren't brainless idiots, but they aren't geniuses either. Make a tutorial for this kind of stuff and it should be reasonably fine. That, and maybe include some sort of handicap, like autoblock but no meter usage or something like that. That way, people can learn how to block better.

No comments really on the shield thing. We're gonna differ on that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A lot of characters barely have any moves to begin with. It's a lot more than 6 moves. That's atleast 12 moves. Making even more for guys is a lot more difficult than you think. Especially guys like Falcon. Also, you'd have to give them all new moves for every direction on the air and the ground. Soooo, fX, dX, uX, smash uX, smash fX, smash dX, XXX(and XX, or no third attack), airX, DairX, UairX, BairX, FairX, and that's just the Xes. Apply that for Y as well. That's 28 new moves. Which is presuming you don't get a new attack for throws as well, making it 30. That's a whole lot more than you're saying. Frankly, you either go all out with both buttons, or don't bother. Only making a few moves makes it even MORE confusing for your past players, or new people.

The difference in technical fighters is that not every character shares all the same button commands.(Throws are often the only major exception, and that's it, and Simple Button Modes might have pressing L1 + L2 for a special or something)

Smash doesn't do this for a reason. Every character has the exact same commands so anybody can try out other characters. It has somewhat less depth, but that's because the depth is about the character traits, not the controls in general. Only slight exceptions is some may not have a second neutral A attack, or someone might have B moves that differentiate from others. But the basic controls are still the same. It makes it easier for people to try everyone.(and mastering one is still difficult regardless)

Also, L-Cancel is a technique that does not change the controls whatsoever. It can be done without a single different control scheme. Not the same case.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Dude, did you miss the template I posted. It's no where near what you're thinking.

On "technical fighters", in 2D fighters, everyone abides to the same template for normals and throws. The only differences are in additional normal inputs depending on the character and that the inputs and number of specials vary. You're thinking of 3D fighters where such a template is not present. I take it you don't play many other fighting games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have over 20 fighters at home.

Smash plays in a 2D plane for the most part.

And the problem is, your template is heavily lacking. Likewise, it's even more confusing than you think it is. If I want a Bair, I can only press one button, but I gotta press another for a Fair. Pushing one button is much easier to memorize and work with. It's not so much as more depth as just confusing for everyone. If everybody has a full moveset with all 3 buttons, then you can choose one style over another. This has a lot more depth, as it has a LOT more moves to choose from. But it's overall not that confusing. You know you can have a move regardless of which button.

Your controls heavily lack this option. And that's why it doesn't work all that well. It's too lacking and too confusing. The regular controls aren't lacking whatsoever, and don't confuse anyone at all.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wait... What?

What's so confusing about the BAir being on one button and FAir on another? Zoom out and stop looking in the context of Brawl and earlier games only. YOU are over complicating things. Here's an example in terms of SFIV, even though I know you hate SF. Sakura's j.MK could easily be her NAir in Brawl and earlier titles. Likewise, her j.HK would be her DAir. Think of it in terms of that and it's not that difficult to process.

It'd be like complaining why I can't do a light kick with the light punch button. It's pointless and stupid.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Wait... What?

What's so confusing about the BAir being on one button and FAir on another? Zoom out and stop looking in the context of Brawl and earlier games only. YOU are over complicating things. Here's an example in terms of SFIV, even though I know you hate SF. Sakura's j.MK could easily be her NAir in Brawl and earlier titles. Likewise, her j.HK would be her DAir. Think of it in terms of that and it's not that difficult to process.

It'd be like complaining why I can't do a light kick with the light punch button. It's pointless and stupid.
Here's a little insight for ya... Simplicity is one of the main points behind Smash's success. It makes it different from other fighters, like SF and MvC. If you take out the simplicity, it ultimately becomes less popular and the series doesn't last as long. Plus, why fix a system that isn't broken? People enjoy Smash just the way it is, and overall your system is...well, really confusing. I saw the controls, and I thought, "Wow, that's a lot of moves." Then I realized that the Specials weren't even there. So you have made things over-the-top complicated and given me a slight headache trying to figure out the controls.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What about characters that can't punch? Or can't kick? Smash doesn't work that way because it was designed to be simplistic. Pikachu kicks, but not punches at all. Why? He doesn't have good fists. Every character was made differently for a reason. They are NOT all humans/humanoids. Because of this, they do not work the same at all. And shouldn't.

Your ideal controls completely changes the gameplay. And it's confusing as hell because there's a ton more memorizing to do. My ideal controls do not change this. You can still work with one of 3 styles, and have a full character. All yours does is add a few moves and a ton of useless command directions. This isn't depth at all. This doesn't work in that type of game. If you need to add more moves, maybe a second special button would work. But we don't need a Light/Mid/Heavy command. Once again, you're just making it into a game it's not. It's very competitive without some insane set of controls.

You're not even understanding WHY the controls just don't work in the first place. With 1 main attack button, every character can be used with the same exact controls, but still be played completely differently. Yours is not the case. Now when I press, say Back and A while in the air, nothing happens. I have to press another button to do this. But in the regular controls, everybody is on equal grounds, the depth being the exact moves, and not fake depth with controls.

D

Deleted member

BTW guys, many are thinking Takamaru's already confirmed for SSB4 due this "Hirari Sakura Samurai"-game which is for 3DSWare. I don't think so much, since the game looks more like a prequel to the original, and doesn't even confirm itself of being a sequel to Nazo No Murasame Jo.
If it's a prequel to Nazo No Mursame Jo, then I would say he is likely.

Also, Day Ten of Create the SSB4 Roster is up with Medusa and Zelda along with a twist for the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom