• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Not meaning to put the Mario newcomers topic back on spot on this thread, but the newest information for Super Mario 3D Land has been leaked as well with the intro. What I find most interesting in this intro is the fact that it is not only Mario who goes on the adventure to rescuing Peach, but also three other Toads (yes 3 - Red Toad, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad). Could this be hinting multi-player in Mario 3D Land and a good step up for Toad's chances in Smash?

The video is in the link below, but NOTE: SPOILERS are there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z344McHkUXY&feature=player_embedded

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Not meaning to put the Mario newcomers topcic back on spot on this thread, but the newest information for Super Mario 3D Land has been leaked as well with the intro. What I find most interesting in this intro is the fact that it is not only Mario who goes on the adventure to rescuing Peach, but also three other Toads (yes 3 - Red Toad, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad). Could this be hinting multi-player and a good step up for Toad's chances?

The video is in the link below, but NOTE: SPOILERS are there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z344McHkUXY&feature=player_embedded
Oh, that's interesting... Maybe I'd better look into a moveset for him :awesome:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
My opinion is clear: You can't defeat the classic gods T_T
Super Mario Galaxy did, Skyward Sword can too. I've already heard several tracks from the game, and the OST is going to be phenomenal.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Super Mario Galaxy did, Skyward Sword can too. I've already heard several tracks from the game, and the OST is going to be phenomenal.
I understand what your saying, but the remix of OoT VS Skyward Sword? We'll see...
As for SMG, that was a terrible game. I don't get why everyone thinks it's a good game. If they're relating it to SM64, then I'll go ahead and "Lol" for ya. But personally, though, so don't get too worked up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Being "defeated" is subjective, though. I didn't think Galaxy was better than Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Bros. 1. I thought Twilight Princess was meh compared to Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. Popularity doesn't say much.

Especially when popularity may be due to just being new.

Either way, I doubt they're going to beat Majora's Mask any time soon. As long as they keep trying to copy OoT/ALttP's formula, it'll never work. It needs to be completely original, but not have pointless gimmicks. Those hurt the game itself, especially when they make it harder or don't work well.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Being "defeated" is subjective, though. I didn't think Galaxy was better than Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Bros. 1. I thought Twilight Princess was meh compared to Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. Popularity doesn't say much.

Especially when popularity may be due to just being new.

Either way, I doubt they're going to beat Majora's Mask any time soon. As long as they keep trying to copy OoT/ALttP's formula, it'll never work. It needs to be completely original, but not have pointless gimmicks. Those hurt the game itself, especially when they make it harder or don't work well.
Time continues in game, but only progresses to the next day when you sleep. Go figure -_-

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
While I love Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, those games are overrated. I always preferred the SNES installments.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Time continues in game, but only progresses to the next day when you sleep. Go figure -_-
Er, what? Whatever you said went over my head.

Either way, just being new isn't enough. It takes a bit of originality as well. The Zelda DS games did a great job on originality, unfortunately, trying to play the game can be a real pain due to the controls being more of a chore than an innovation. Plus, touch screen wear out after a while. And hand craps do happen too. It felt lacking in what makes a game good, challenge and accessibility.

^ Never saw a problem with them. Fine controls, really. OoT only suffered from poor characterization.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No way, I much prefer Mario 64 over anything the SNES had to offer (almost). N64 had some gems. Much more than the Wii and GC so far. I think the WiiU is going to be the next "N64" in terms of MEGAAWESOME games. Well 3DS as well. I can already tell I'll LOVE Mario 3DS. I wonder if Bowser Jr. is going to be in it? I would find that odd.

Skyward Sword
Mario 3DS
Kid Icarus Uprising
Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS
The Eventual Metroid installment
Pokemon 3DS

It should be a good next few years in terms of Nintendo stuff. VERY GOOD.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
For those interested, Nitsuma just stated via Twitter that Zero's alternate costume is "blue"... The insinuation is that it is going to be X. The MvC3 forums are going absolutely bonkers.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OMG Oasis was right, I see him now too!

...Maybe I'm going insane

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
For those interested, Nitsuma just stated via Twitter that Zero's alternate costume is "blue"... The insinuation is that it is going to be X. The MvC3 forums are going absolutely bonkers.
What's this for?

UMvC?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
For those interested, Nitsuma just stated via Twitter that Zero's alternate model is "blue"... The insinuation is that it is going to be X. The MvC3 forums are going absolutely bonkers.
1. This shouldn't be in this thread. :glare:

2. WTF Capcom! How much are you going to troll us? First, Zero's new win quote, then the X style costumes of which that have been removed, and now this?

3. We wanted MM Zero as a alternate costume, not X. :facepalm:

4. Stop trolling DLC Capcom.

5. Please announce what we think you're going to announce at the New York Comic Con next week.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WTF, now Megaman is nothing except an alternate costume?

My goodness, they REALLY hate him, don't they?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yes it can be in this thread. If Capcom doesn't feel their own main mascot is worthy of a playable role how do you think they will approach Super Smash Bros?

Btw, Nitsuma also stated Phoenix Wright wouldn't be playable or shown, not sure which, at NYCC.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You mean Phoenix Wright?
No.

I ment Frank West. :cool:

I could care less about Phoenix other then how he fights. To me he's just a joke character right now.

That and what looks like possible MMX DLC trolling.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Joke character? The guy can K.O. freaking Thor at over kill with four bars, no assists, and no X-factor. That's LETHAL Joke Character to me.

I wanna see Tom Nook do that kind of damage in the next Smash.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
To be honest that is probably what Seth meant about possibly having some Megaman news... Zero costume...

Lol Tom Nook. He would throw furniture at you and force you into bankruptcy.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Joke character? The guy can K.O. freaking Thor at over kill with four bars, no assists, and no X-factor. That's LETHAL Joke Character to me.
I saw that and I do agree. But the idea of having him fight does come off as a joke to me. So that's why I said I was at least interested to see how he could fight.

So overall with the Capcom side's new characters I can say I'm really only happy with Frank and Phoenix getting in.

Also I do believe that I brought up why MM wasn't in yesterday in my disscusion with Toise, and I do believe it has also been said that Capcom developers have agreed that MM would be the best Capcom choice for Smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ono was the only one that said that. Megaman is the most logical one, but the question of how to make him unique without resorting to robot master abilities still remains.

To a degree, you could argue the same for Ryu, but while Mario may be the Smash equivalent of a Shoto, the two have a lot differing between each other to make them unique. Ryu's got juggling potential, horizontal recovery via Tatsu, and a hard knockback with his Donkey Kick. Mario's got what's essentially Akuma's air fireball, the ability to reflect projectiles and edgeguard abilities.

I'd still pick Chun-Li over both of them though.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Amaterasu, Mega Man Volnutt, and Zero. If any of those three made it to SSB4, I'd cry my eyes out.
An for Mega Man swapping abilities? I got an idea. Like PKMN trainer swapping Pokemon, he'd switch between whatever abilities he has. Normally, I'd say to leave all of them, but he has a bunch, so I'd leave it towards the most popular abilities. I don't play Mega Man, so anyone have abilities THAT WOULD FIT SSB4?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ono was the only one that said that. Megaman is the most logical one, but the question of how to make him unique without resorting to robot master abilities still remains.

To a degree, you could argue the same for Ryu, but while Mario may be the Smash equivalent of a Shoto, the two have a lot differing between each other to make them unique. Ryu's got juggling potential, horizontal recovery via Tatsu, and a hard knockback with his Donkey Kick. Mario's got what's essentially Akuma's air fireball, the ability to reflect projectiles and edgeguard abilities.

Difference is people are not asking for Ryu, but Megaman. During the post-Smash 64 days Sakurai acknowledged Megaman was a popular request. Although he did not elaborate any further on that comment it shows that people are asking for the Blue Bomber, and that has not ceased since.

Nothing remotely concrete, and this barely belongs here, but Sakurai says (in response to a fan asking for Rockman / Mega Man) that he gets lots of overseas demand. He doesn’t say anything else on the subject, though.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn147.html

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Difference is people are not asking for Ryu, but Megaman. During the Melee days Sakurai acknowledged Megaman was a popular request. Although he did not elaborate any further on that comment it shows that people are asking for the Blue Bomber, and that has not ceased since.
If what I hear of this one to be the final game is true (highly doubt), then he'd leave the surprises for the final game. SSB 64? Obviously, he knew the game was to go far, so why not leave the real gold, as you might call it, in the last one? Just a thought...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Actually Inafune also stated he'd want MM in Smash. Although not that that matters any more. :awesome:

Also I guess you have a point their about Ryu and Mario. I guess he's somewhat already in Smash thanks to Mario and Luigi. :laugh:

If we can't get MM, I'd personally want Mike Haggar. :cool:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If Inafune was still in charge I would be prancing around calling Megaman a lock, sadly, he is not anymore. While individuals within the company such as Ono have expressed opinions, they do not hold that same weight.

Megaman is a character I have wanted for a long time. I have gone through these cycles of being rather excited at the prospect of him being playable, to being rather apathetical towards him. It is a strange support I have for him. Honestly I just feel I am burned out on third party discussion. The recent Square Enix flame wars at Gamefaqs has really killed any desire I have to go in depth on that subject.

D

Deleted member

@KumaOso: They could perhaps make a compromise (assuming Mega Man is in MVc3 and/or SSB4) Have the team create an entire move set from scratch and have the Robot Master ability be put as the B button, which you earn from defeating opponents (which you can switch with a taunt button). Unlike Kirby's copy ability, it does not go away once you get KO.

Or for a better example, look at shinhed-echi's move set.

:phone:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Inafune was still in charge I would be prancing around calling Megaman a lock, sadly, he is not anymore. While individuals within the company such as Ono have expressed opinions, they do not hold that same weight.

Megaman is a character I have wanted for a long time. I have gone through these cycles of being rather excited at the prospect of him being playable, to being rather apathetical towards him. It is a strange support I have for him. Honestly I just feel I am burned out on third party discussions. The recent flame wars over Square Enix characters on Gamefaqs has really killed any desire I have to go in depth on that subject.
Let's just say that choosing one Square-Enix series is hard, and leave it at that.

As for MegaMan, most deserving Capcom character as is. He's their true mascot.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2011/03...-producer-like-to-see-in-the-next-smash-bros/

Bison is fine too. Just not the overused Ryu. Hype gets annoying sometimes.(mind you, I don't hate Ryu, and prefer Akuma to him as a character, but Bison is a great choice too)

^ I did. I think the Final Smash was a bit too powerful, though.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
At least someone saw it ^^' But yeah, I don't know what else I can use for an FS. I don't wanna use Link and Toon Link's. Any thoughts?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At least someone saw it ^^' But yeah, I don't know what else I can use for an FS. I don't wanna use Link and Toon Link's. Any thoughts?
Temporarily turns into Fierce Deity Link? Use a powerful move based upon his transformations? Giant Young Link(Giant's Mask). Summon the moon on one character? Something like PK Starstorm, but harder to dodge. Oh, and it moves SLOWWWWWWWWLLY.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Oh. Well, I was hoping for something a little more than that, but whatever.

I could see there being some kind of interview after KI is done going just a bit more in-depth on Sakurai's early concepts and ideas in mind for Smash 4. Obviously, not too much, though, just stuff like what he envisions for the game and more hypothetical ideas like how he might show off the interconnectivity between the 2 versions.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Was up people! I'm gonna be gone for a while; I probably won't come back until E3 2012; I might stop briefly during February but until
then i won't be on here any longer, so basically I will be gone as of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom