• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yes, but denying that some moves were based off of canon is silly. Some we know obviously doesn't exist(Triforce Smash), but we can trace many moves back to their origins or possible influences.
I know, and you're right. But I want proof. Peach has used a frying pan in other games, and "slapping" is something a "prissy" Princess would do. The fire thrower of course is going to have a megafireball attack for a FS. All these things fit into their character's personality and could have just been pulled from there.

Peach has a parosol in SMRPG?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yeah, a little thing called midterms, a programming project, and three assignments on top of another to turn in to one class on Monday are eating my time up.
My midterms hit me on the 10th and 11th. Already turned in my one paper, so that is a positive. I'm only haunted by my mathematics midterm considering I failed my first exam...

I know, and you're right. But I want proof. Peach has used a frying pan in other games, and "slapping" is something a "prissy" Princess would do. The fire thrower of course is going to have a megafireball attack for a FS. All these things fit into their character's personality and could have just been pulled from there.

Peach has a parosol in SMRPG?
Yes she does. If you need evidence of those specifically mentioned moves being derived from SMRPG, I can find you a video.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My future hubby right here. :love:

No joke, for the longest I thought I was the only one who thought that Ancient Light would've been a dope FS for Sonic.

Then you come along and **** those thoughts.

Sadly, it'll never happen as Super Sonic is Sonic's thing, you know? :urg:
Am I being accused of mind ****? And are you thanking me for it? :o

And I disagree on it being his "thing". His thing was always speed. It was pretty much a shout out to the Super Saiyans. Ancient Light was actually an increase on his Homing Attack, which was actually unique to him. I consider it one of his true abilities. IMO.

-----------------

@shortiecanbrawl: She first used her Parasol in Paper Mario(64), I believe. So it was influenced from that game. Note that this version later got used for Super Paper Mario.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
This thread suddenly got busy since I started watching TV and eating dinner so I got buried lol
Kumo and I were throwing around some ideas, a few pages back. But no, I'm not part of the back room if that's what you mean
So you don't have it saved? Oh well..you shall be part of it as of right now.

:phone:

OmegaXXII

I love Paper Mario 64, there should be a stage concerning those games, at least a theme would be nice considering if don't ever get Paper Mario.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I meant that Super Sonic is Sonic's signature "super" move/transformation. So Sakurai would probably want to keep Super Sonic as his FS as the two correlate to each other, if you get what I mean.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I meant that Super Sonic is Sonic's signature "super" move/transformation. So Sakurai would probably want to keep Super Sonic as his FS as the two correlate to each other, if you get what I mean.
Ah. I wouldn't call it that, since it wasn't unique to his design, but fair enough.

@Starphoenix: Ah, right. Thanks.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
My midterms hit me on the 10th and 11th. Already turned in my one paper, so that is a positive. I'm only haunted by my mathematics midterm considering I failed my first exam...

Yes she does. If you need evidence of those specifically mentioned moves being derived from SMRPG, I can find you a video.
No I've played through 95 percent of SMRPG over the course of the last two years, I just don't think you can say "they took slapping DIRECTLY from SMRPG" or something as basic as a big fireball, UNLESS the fireball is identicle. They may have been influenced, but I want proof, you know? BUT THIS IS A TANGENT. I still don't think moveset derivatives are proof enough that Paper Mario, Fawful, or Waluigi are getting in. If Toad and Junior haven't gotten in, why would you pick D grade characters over B grade? (Fawful and Waluigi, not Geno or Paper Mario. I hold them to higher standards then "less than satisfactory")

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No I've played through 95 percent of SMRPG over the course of the last two years, I just don't think you can say "they took slapping DIRECTLY from SMRPG" or something as basic as a big fireball, UNLESS the fireball is identicle. They may have been influenced, but I want proof, you know? BUT THIS IS A TANGENT. I still don't think moveset derivatives are proof enough that Paper Mario, Fawful, or Waluigi are getting in. If Toad and Junior haven't gotten in, why would you pick D grade characters over B grade? (Fawful and Waluigi, not Geno or Paper Mario. I hold them to higher standards then "less than satisfactory")
The way in which Peach slaps the enemy is very identical to Super Mario RPG. I noticed this right way on my first play through. Along with the pan and parasol, it was one of those things that made me go "huh", but nothing more. Still, you can watch this video.

http://youtu.be/UN0B_YADf-o

I have no idea where you are drawing that last part from... All I know is I was discussing Super Mario RPG affecting at least a couple of moves in the Super Smash Bros series.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Am I being accused of mind ****? And are you thanking me for it? :o

And I disagree on it being his "thing". His thing was always speed. It was pretty much a shout out to the Super Saiyans. Ancient Light was actually an increase on his Homing Attack, which was actually unique to him. I consider it one of his true abilities. IMO.

-----------------

@shortiecanbrawl: She first used her Parasol in Paper Mario(64), I believe. So it was influenced from that game. Note that this version later got used for Super Paper Mario.
Super Sonic was a given, but Ancient Light would've been cool. If Homing Attack can be charged in anyway, then it can be used...along with Yamcha's/my Bounce Attack idea :)

So you don't have it saved? Oh well..you shall be part of it as of right now.

No it's just around here
I thought you wanted me to post my MM moveset first?

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking lately:

The Mario series started with 2 reps for Smash Bros., Mario and Luigi. In Melee, Peach and Bowser were added, as well as Dr. Mario, bringing the total to 5. For Brawl, Dr. Mario was cut, reducing the number to 4.

The Zelda series only had Link in Smash Bros. When Melee came out, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, and Young Link were added, jacking the number up to 4. For Brawl, Young Link was (more or less) replaced with Toon Link, but the total remained at 4.

Pokemon had Pikachu and Jigglypuff in the first Smash Bros. For Melee, Pichu and Mewtwo were added, doubling the count to 4. For Brawl, the same two from Melee were removed, and 2 different reps took their place; Lucario and the Pokemon Trainer. The number of reps, however, remained at 4.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@y.toonlink: But of course. I expected Super Sonic, I just would've liked it with a game with less transformations. Wario Man, Giga Bowser, (you could somewhat count the Landmasters as them if you wanted), Beast Ganon, Volt Tackle. It didn't seem all that unique.

@swayne's gang: Technically, 5, since Sheik doesn't play anything like Zelda. Also, Toon Link isn't Young Link at all. Albeit, I agree he's basically a retooled version.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, I know. I was speaking in terms of roster slots.
Ah. Fair enough.

@King: Basically, what it does, is that you charge up, and attack everything on the screen one time(but you're invincible during the actual attack). As for how it could work, you'd attack every item and character for say, 20% of damage, but no knockback. (or more damage, like 50?) This would give Sonic the ability to pull off a kill, but not instantly. It'd require skill on the player to actually KO something. And it's take care of those pesky random items.(this includes character created items like Bombs, Turnips, etc.)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hmmm... A Tetris stage should take place in Red Square at twilight... Y'know, St. Basil's Cathedral in the background. Sunset... Stars twinkling... Blocks slowly falling in the background.

IT COULD BE VERY ATMOSPHERIC~

It would never happen though. U3U

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah man, I myself will be pretty busy once I hit school next semester, oh the hassle.

Try dealing with a man who's the opposite of charismatic. He somehow manages to give me emotional stress in some form when I talk to him where they lead into something else. One time was almost an emotional breakdown over something else that came afterward, the other was hysteria on a test I almost forgot.

OmegaXXII

Ah. Fair enough.

@King: Basically, what it does, is that you charge up, and attack everything on the screen one time(but you're invincible during the actual attack). As for how it could work, you'd attack every item and character for say, 20% of damage, but no knockback. (or more damage, like 50?) This would give Sonic the ability to pull off a kill, but not instantly. It'd require skill on the player to actually KO something. And it's take care of those pesky random items.(this includes character created items like Bombs, Turnips, etc.)
Whoa! I had no idea, so having skill is essential to mastering this? Nice touch, I like the idea in general, one idea I had was "super smashes" where it would be combo based chains dealing and tacking up damage, not necessarly a KO move like FS, but useful, think of it like a Lv.2 super attack on a meter and FS is Lv.3

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Whoa! I had no idea, so having skill is essential to mastering this? Nice touch, I like the idea in general, one idea I had was "super smashes" where it would be combo based chains dealing and tacking up damage, not necessarly a KO move like FS, but useful, think of it like a Lv.2 super attack on a meter and FS is Lv.3

That's why I like it general. Super Sonic is not very skillful to use, honestly. I mean, it takes some, but about as much as activating a "Kill all move". In other words, not much.

The thing is, Sonic actually DOES take skill to win with, especially without his Final Smash. This would provide him a fair outlet that still depends on you to win, and not a cheap mechanic.

Don't get me wrong, I do think a lot of FS's could be reworked in a similar way. Snake's wasn't an easy KO, although it was powerful. Meta Knight's isn't very good. The ones that require timing are somewhat skillful, but when they use OHK, it's not nearly as much as it could be.

Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Giga Bowser, those are very skillful and you won't win unless you play well.

As for super meters, I still want this series to be based around non-technical stuff. It's great for those kind of games, but I feel like it's too rewarding for players who prefer to play without items. That's one of the interesting things about this game. You can turn supers OFF.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Hey, go ahead and do so.

Who me? It's still incomplete, but I was gonna post it along with the rest of my blog.
I saw that I could go in the BR, is that because of you?

@y.toonlink: But of course. I expected Super Sonic, I just would've liked it with a game with less transformations. Wario Man, Giga Bowser, (you could somewhat count the Landmasters as them if you wanted), Beast Ganon, Volt Tackle. It didn't seem all that unique.

@swayne's gang: Technically, 5, since Sheik doesn't play anything like Zelda. Also, Toon Link isn't Young Link at all. Albeit, I agree he's basically a retooled version.
Well, it's either transformations or just a strong attack. Being a DBZ fan forever, I always like transformations :) If anything from SA2 Sonic should've used Sonic Wind in some way.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, it's either transformations or just a strong attack. Being a DBZ fan forever, I always like transformations :) If anything from SA2 Sonic should've used Sonic Wind in some way.
I was dissapointed that Sonic Wind wasn't used. His Forward B and Down B are rather similar. Why not use Sonic Wave and Sonic Storm(from Sonic Battle) instead? It'd give him a nice projectile. Plus, spacing. That alone would bump him up a bit in the tier, but it wouldn't give him any more kill moves. Which is good. Also... anybody dissapointed in his Forward Smash being a wind-up punch instead of some type of kick?(once again, Sonic Battle, his Arc Kick. He does kick at the opponent, sending them a bit away, but then moves a bit farther back himself due to how it works. I can't remember the name, and it's hard to explain)

OmegaXXII

That's why I like it general. Super Sonic is not very skillful to use, honestly. I mean, it takes some, but about as much as activating a "Kill all move". In other words, not much.

The thing is, Sonic actually DOES take skill to win with, especially without his Final Smash. This would provide him a fair outlet that still depends on you to win, and not a cheap mechanic.

Don't get me wrong, I do think a lot of FS's could be reworked in a similar way. Snake's wasn't an easy KO, although it was powerful. Meta Knight's isn't very good. The ones that require timing are somewhat skillful, but when they use OHK, it's not nearly as much as it could be.

Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Giga Bowser, those are very skillful and you won't win unless you play well.

As for super meters, I still want this series to be based around non-technical stuff. It's great for those kind of games, but I feel like it's too rewarding for players who prefer to play without items. That's one of the interesting things about this game. You can turn supers OFF.
Yeah man, that Sonic was good, but needs a balanced FS to go along with it, also a chargeable homing attack that actually targets it's opponents rather than blindly aim would be better.

The thing about MetaKnight's FS is that it required timing and for you to be close to an opponent which in the end didn't feel so rewarding because it didn't always KO unless the percentage was already high, but yeah, other Final
Smashes like Snake's could use a better suited one, (like REX) also his camping game was goid but his aerials game was horrible, overall good powerful character which I actually find ironic since Snake doesn't seem to feel "slow and heavy" in any of his games.

As for the Super Smash, yeah, having some technical moves would make it a little more appealing indeed (IMO) I guess as long as it doesn't breach the barrier of Smash and jumping the fence into Street Fighter territory which we don't really need, of course such stuff like tripping should either be removed completely or have a switch of sorts, this could essential be use during competative play (tourneys) without resorting to hacking a Wii-U, just like it's done yo Final Smashes; which is good because it's what makes Smash Smash different from other fighters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah man, that Sonic was good, but needs a balanced FS to go along with it, also a chargeable homing attack that actually targets it's opponents rather than blindly aim would be better.

The thing about MetaKnight's FS is that it required timing and for you to be close to an opponent which in the end didn't feel so rewarding because it didn't always KO unless the percentage was already high, but yeah, other Final
Smashes like Snake's could use a better suited one, (like REX) also his camping game was goid but his aerials game was horrible, overall good powerful character which I actually find ironic since Snake doesn't seem to feel "slow and heavy" in any of his games.

As for the Super Smash, yeah, having some technical moves would make it a little more appealing indeed (IMO) I guess as long as it doesn't breach the barrier of Smash and jumping the fence into Street Fighter territory which we don't really need, of course such stuff like tripping should either be removed completely or have a switch of sorts, this could essential be use during competative play (tourneys) without resorting to hacking a Wii-U, just like it's done yo Final Smashes; which is good because it's what makes Smash Smash different from other fighters.

I don't think I can add anything more to this post other than it's JUST THAT WIN.

But yes, that's why I loved L-Cancelling. It was technical, but not beyond difficult. And it wasn't easy for every character. I mean, let's take Wavedashing. Not everybody could benefit well from it, and it was much harder than it needed to be. That was too much. L-Cancel was something that didn't go overboard, but still closed the gap between skillful and skillless. That's why I liked it. I like competition, and having stuff that makes it competitive. As long as it's not needed to enjoy the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Name me a reason why you SHOULDN'T L-Cancel? Skill is not about who can do this or that, but how you use this and that. This is why I'm against L-Cancel and believe it should've been "auto" all along.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The way in which Peach slaps the enemy is very identical to Super Mario RPG. I noticed this right way on my first play through. Along with the pan and parasol, it was one of those things that made me go "huh", but nothing more. Still, you can watch this video.

http://youtu.be/UN0B_YADf-o

I have no idea where you are drawing that last part from... All I know is I was discussing Super Mario RPG affecting at least a couple of moves in the Super Smash Bros series.
I know, I've played it and I see the similarities (Pan shows up in this Peach cooking game I had on a weird Mario themed GB game).

The other stuff was aimed at ExcitedCaptainFalcon, not really you.

STARRRRRRRRRRR. I asked you a question a while back, about DK Jr. Well, Kuma could answer too. Anyone really. Where do you think DKJR fits in terms of series? How many "Donkey Kong" games has he actually shown up in, I mean, isn't he his own series? Also, how do you feel about him being picked as a retro? (Not a clone)

Also, I don't think I could not post this picture I just took. Someone needs to see it.

[COLLAPSE="IRL stuff, WHAAA?"]
[/COLLAPSE]

And it's all going to an Irish kid. LAME. None for meee.

Name me a reason why you SHOULDN'T L-Cancel? Skill is not about who can do this or that, but how you use this and that. This is why I'm against L-Cancel and believe it should've been "auto" all along.
EXACTLY. I know how to DO most things in BlazBlue, but I can't correctly use them AT ALL. It's not about breaking your fingers in order to pull off a simple task.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
L-Cancelling is lame.

Cancel lameness.

L-Cancel L-Cancelling?

Those do not look like potatoes, Shorts.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
STARRRRRRRRRRR. I asked you a question a while back, about DK Jr. Well, Kuma could answer too. Anyone really. Where do you think DKJR fits in terms of series? How many "Donkey Kong" games has he actually shown up in, I mean, isn't he his own series? Also, how do you feel about him being picked as a retro? (Not a clone)

Also, I don't think I could not post this picture I just took. Someone needs to see it.

[COLLAPSE="IRL stuff, WHAAA?"]
[/COLLAPSE]

And it's all going to an Irish kid. LAME. None for meee.
Hahaha, I actually get the reference for once. I'm not sure about Donkey Kong Jr. Nintendo has forgotten him, or has simply let him exist as the current Donkey Kong of today. As far as redundancy is concerned it cannot be any worse than having two Marios or Links. Mario Kart's roster exists thrives on such contradictions, so obviously Nintendo does not care. If he is unique I'm down for him, yet I can see many many many King K. Rool and Dixie Kong fans' having emotional breakdowns. In the end I do not feel he is as likely as other candidates, but it would be surprising.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Since Crankey is the original Donkey Kong (supposedly) AND is the current one's grandfather. DKJR is likely the current DK's father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom