• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Practical Water "techs"?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I've been hitting myself over the head for this one. I think I've discovered a few new tricks Peach can perform using existing techs we've known about for months, and have simply never thought to use in these situations. I discovered it on accident, and when I killed my opponent and realized what I had done, I was dumbfounded that I had never thought of it before and ran to AIM to tell Edrees, who was equally surprised.

I checked with a couple other Peaches and they had never thought of it either, so I'll bring it up here in a thread.

Now, those of us who play on Jungle Japes a lot know that the best thing about water and Peach is that the water refreshes Peach's jumps and float. Fall in the water and when Japes sweeps you off you can jump out and float right back, and even if your opponent makes you fall back in, you get the float right back. We know this because it's vital to keep from dying.

Pirate Ship is generally not considered a spectacular Peach stage, because Peach's lack of a spike makes killing people off of the bottom impossible thanks to the water. Several people in EWA counterpick it on me for that reason (plus, uneven terrain makes me sometimes fail autocancels).

I was fighting my Lucario rival, and pulled this off on accident. Just like Jungle Japes, the water refreshes your float when you fall in to it. And it seems...You can groundfloat/instafloat underwater, or on the water's surface, with only the upper half of Peach's body sticking out. You can perform all of your aerials normally, and you'll hit the water (getting your float back after the splash lag) immediately upon releasing.

This initially just seems like a cool novelty, but it actually has very significant practical usage. When Peach falls in the water, any smart player with a Spike will be chasing after her trying to spike her through it. You can groundfloat and back up and they'll miss. More importantly- you can fair people while you are both in the water.

On Pirate ship, this usually equates to a kill. If you're facing away from the stage, the walls are really close, and if you're facing towards the stage, they'll get stagespiked off of the pirate ship, even if they don't touch the instant-kill zone underneath the boat. I haven't tested it but I believe that if they survive the stagespike, you can just float over and fair them as they float back up and they'll get spiked again.

This all happened to me by accident- my Lucario rival was trying to Dair me while I was in the water and I floated out of his way. He fell in the water, and I faired him into the boat, stagespiking him.

This works on Delfino, too. No stagespiking, but you can avoid spikes and fair/bair/dair people while they're in the water.

Edrees and I will do some testing after work and see if we can find any other techs using water groundfloats. I was thinking Peach might have a Dair infinite if you release dair before it finishes so that the water cancels it, then rinse and repeat. (I'm posting from work, hence my inability to test things right now)

Anyway, some of you may already know this, but if you didn't, it should significantly improve your performance on any stage with water (Delfino and Pirate Ship and Japes). :) I just wanted to share it.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Good finding. I'm playing around this in training mode ATM. If anything interesting comes up I'll post right away.

Well, apparently, Dair to Nair combos always work if you keep floating (I tried this on Samus)

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Does landing in water refresh initial boosts on specials, like the boost you get when you use Toad the first time after landing?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Peach might have a Dair infinite
Oh my...

And just a note on the Jungle Japes thing, just be aware of the KOing klaptraps, it's not safe to be in the water there.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Oh my...

And just a note on the Jungle Japes thing, just be aware of the KOing klaptraps, it's not safe to be in the water there.
The Klaptrap comes by on a ten second interval. Watch for it, then drop in behind it and just keep the time in mind and you're safe. Also, the Klaptrap STOPS jumping once it reaches the last platform, so you're safe to use it for recovery there. However, I'd never use it offensively on Japes, more as a quick escape method if I feel threatened (drop to water and let yourself be swept away). But I don't recommend it.

This is more of a tech for an extra offensive move on Delfino and Pirate Ship :)

JuniorMints

Smash Cadet
Klaptraps come every 10sec to 15secs youll know when to get away from there or not.

Good stuff praxis!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
O.o !!!!!
i now have something else to play with on Delfino. now my friends will hate me even more when we go to that stage. great find Praxis :laugh:

Gea

Smash Master
Klaps are every 10 seconds. at xx:x7 seconds it is between the right platform and the middle jumping, and at xx:x5 seconds it is on the left side/middle platform jumping.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Alrighty, just, just be aware of the insta-spiking crocodiles before you go off baiting spikes.

Anyway, I actually got to play against a Ness today, and really, this is FUN.

"HA. PREPARE TO DIE PEACH!" *dives into dair*
*Peach scoots away and fairs* :chuckle:

As long as this doesn't become common knowledge, it shouldn't be as obvious as it already is.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
OMG YES! I haven't had the chance to play another match since discovering it sadly :( I'm so happy it's practical and working! It struck me that the opponent will be paralyzed when he misses a dair because you backed up as he splashes in the water, giving you plenty of time to land the hit so you don't even have to rush :D

What was his reaction?? I know a Ness that always CP's pirate ship too.

Also, did it spike? :)

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It was on Delfino, so no spiking. But I managed to pull of like 3 fairs. @_@
People are REALLY eager to spike these days. And now that this is realized, Peach OWNS the water.

Thing is, this is only working because it's new and nobody expects this yet - otherwise, it's VERY obvious. People will learn not to follow.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
It was on Delfino, so no spiking. But I managed to pull of like 3 fairs. @_@
People are REALLY eager to spike these days. And now that this is realized, Peach OWNS the water.

Thing is, this is only working because it's new and nobody expects this yet - otherwise, it's VERY obvious. People will learn not to follow.

So? That means we'll never get spiked in the water. We still win. :)

So what should we call this tech?

Waterfloating?

Jesusfloating?

Jesuswalking?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
You know, it struck me that this makes Pirate Ship into the perfect Falco/Wolf counterpick (outside of Rainbow Cruise)!

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
So? That means we'll never get spiked in the water. We still win. :)

So what should we call this tech?

Waterfloating?

Jesusfloating?

Jesuswalking?
Lol.

It's just instafloating but on the water's level. Does it really need a name?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Instafloating on the ground is called groundfloating, so yes. Even if it's a blatantly obvious one like "waterfloating". But Jesuswalking sounds awesome.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Oh guys, I did a bit more testing. It seems that when you drop the float you INSTANTLY splash in the water- even if you just pressed up-B while floating, the umbrella never comes out and you splash.

When you start up the float there is a moment's delay, and Peach will turn around to face the direction you were holding. Since you need to be holding down to start the float, hold diagonally down and to the right to start the float facing right, and diagonally down and to the left to switch to facing left when you start the float.

Looks like Dairs while in the water become very interesting, since the instant you release the float, you splash, so if you don't finish the Dair your opponent doesn't get significant knockback and you can follow with another attack. I don't think you can infinite them in this manner but it's still cool.

Top Bottom