• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Olimar Match-up Thread - Preventing Extinction

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda noobish, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I've been playing against a couple of high level Marth's though, and I feel I've gotten his game down well. I'm not sure how good this is, but the Marth's I play against (two to be exact) are consitent finalists in Gamestop tournaments in Florida.

Stages

Luigi's Mansion should be our go to counterpick in my opinion. Marth gets destroyed there. Our f-smash really hurts from behind those walls, and grabs can be comboed into so many things it's not even funny.

Lylat is another great stage. Just about the only time I feel safe with Marth above my head is when he's on Lylat. Usmash spam works wonders if you can you get him in the air. Small spaces though make it easier to get pressured off the ledge, and I don't like how tether works on Lylat. Sometimes it's buggy

MU
fair is awesome against Marth, but not if you're actually in the air. I find a sh fair to be very good if placed well enough.

Don't fight marth in the air, you will lose. Best chance is to DI, Whistle, Air dodge back to the ground.

Marth is good at pressuring us off the edge, and even better at keeping us there. Don't let it happen. If it does I find that a purple toss is a good way to ensure a safe landing. if tether is possible, go for it, remember that up-b also has a small hop to it, and can be used to put you on the ledge if need be. If you tether, watch out. dtilt can poke you off the edge and set you in the perfect range for a Spike. Don't play mindgames with tether, get on the stage pronto. Depending on how they are trying to keep you off, you should play your recovery different ways. I find that the hopping up and then leading strait into a nair for landing is the safest way. sometimes attack recovery is needed.

Marth is extremely susceptible to Shield Grabs, almost to the point where even if you get predictable you can still beat him with it. Dancing Blade is the best moment as they can't respond to it, but your timing needs to be good.

Shutterstepping is godly here, abuse it.

pikmin toss should be standard, but nowhere near our usual spam rate. I tend to chuck a pikmin in between throws if I know they'll land too far away for a proper combo.

Blue backthrow will KO at around 100% if you're near enough to the edge.

Marth is ludicrously offensive, and doesn't have many defensive techniques. I find that camping as Olimar won't work well against him. Marth has way too many ways to punish us. Instead play highly aggressive and most of all be careful.

I'd avoid the whistle unless you know exactly when you need it. Tips are very precarious range to be in, and Marth will sometimes release their attack earlier or later than you'd expect, just for your whistle to get punished horrendously.

I feel the MU is -1 like everyone says, but if you pressure well enough I find it can be manageable.

Let me know if my information is at all stupid or unmeritable; I'm unsure of my own skill level, these are just personal views I have playing against people I feel are highly skilled.

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
something that may help (or might be annoying) in the diddy matchup is that olimar can pick up nana's that are on the edge with instant return. when theres a nana on the edge and you instant return and airdodge afterwords (its maybe 3 frames of airdodge before you shield) you instantly grab it (you don't trip :o) ... you can also ofcourse instant throw it immediatly which is pretty cool.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Sadly, no. I actually have an available ride there and back, it's just too much money that I'm not able to spend.

williamwsharp

Smash Cadet
Damn, i got the same situation almost, **** money :(

But a friend of mine good brawler from here is going, im expecting him to do good.

In the mean time i guess all i have left to do is play and get some replays.

Rift

Smash Rookie
I don't mean to bump, but is this going to be continued? It seems like it can be a goldmine of information for new players (such as myself).
Also, is the stuff like the Pikachu matchup up-to-date? It's from a year ago, but I don't know how much the meta game has changed since then...

Sync.

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind helping a revamp of the MUs if you guys need it. I have lots of knowledge about certain MUs with Olimar if you guys want my help.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Perhaps sometime this summer. Don't know how busy I'll be or how available people will be to discuss it, but maybe we can do some on an informal basis to lay a foundation for the ones that haven't been done.

I was thinking that it might also be nice to compile videos of top players playing these match-ups.

BTW. Sync, which match-ups do you know about? You can post what you know in here for now so we have it when it comes up. =P

Sync.

Smash Champion
Okay, I know the Diddy, Snake, MK, Toon Link, Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Wario, Game and Watch, Peach, Sonic, Sheik or Zelda MUs really well if you guys want to ask me about them. Everything else ask other peeps

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Kay. If you're offering information, I'd like to hear what you know about all of them.

Tacket

The Innovator
Olimar MU for everyone

Spam Pikimin throw, grab them into dthrow into usmash into uair if they get too close, if you need to retreat, pivot grab them into dthrow into usmash into uair.

Rinse and repeat.

Congratulations you've mastered every Olimar MU ever

HAcoreRD

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Absolutely no mention of Fair, Usmash OoS, or SGC. Gonna have to call sketch on that one. :p

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Olimar MU for everyone

Spam Pikimin throw, grab them into dthrow into usmash into uair if they get too close, if you need to retreat, pivot grab them into dthrow into usmash into uair.

Rinse and repeat.

Congratulations you've mastered every Olimar MU ever

HAcoreRD
Ahahahahaha...no.

Rift

Smash Rookie
Anyone have info on the ICs matchup? One of my friends plays ICs sometimes, and I get grabbed by him pretty consistently. Even though he doesn't always complete the chaingrab, it'll be pretty bad if i get grabbed by someone who CAN always complete it.

Citrus!

Smash Rookie
hey guys just wondering, with his match ups I dont think Oli should be 2nd best in the game. Is he that high because mk got banned? It's been a looooong time since I've been in the game so I'd like to know

STEM

Smash Cadet
Olimar made the biggest jump in this edition of the tier list, moving up six spots to claim second. His recent tournament results are probably the biggest determinant of his rise: when monetary success over the period since tier list v6 is corrected for popularity, Olimar is the best performing character in the game. The results for APEX had four Olimars in the top 16, those being Nietono at second place, RichBrown at 9th and dabuz and Brood at 13th. All four of these players are consistent tournament threats, be it at a regional or (inter)national level.

Olimar has the third best unweighted and fourth best weighted matchup spread. His four (arguably) disadvantaged matchups are Meta Knight, Marth, Falco and Ice Climbers and these are not as bad as they were perceived to be roughly six months ago:

-While MK is common, he is beatable. Stage lists shifting to the APEX 10 or even smaller Japanese selection make Olimar’s life easier, as he no longer has to worry about Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar. He actually does well on other counterpick stages, not in the least part because they can affect the colors he pulls.

-Marth is a relatively rare character at top level play in the US and Japan, and can be argued to be even.

-Falco has some solid counters of his own to worry about with Ice Climbers and Pikachu and as a result is not as dominant as he was before.

-Recent results make the matchup with ICs seem significantly closer to even than the matchup spread’s current -2. This is mostly due to advancements in Olimar's metagame in both the US and Japan: Pikmin management, followups, spacing and overall stage control make it so that Olimar doesn't get shut down as hard as he used to.

Olimar goes even with or has the advantage against the rest of the cast, making him an extremely strong solo main, with results to back it up.
From the BBR Tier list thread

Noa.

Smash Master
I'm bored and I'll just throw in this here since it's the only matchup I know lol.

Peach

-STAGES-
"Best" starters for Oli: Lylat, Final Destination
"Worst" starters for Oli: Smashville, Yoshi's Island
"Best" counterpicks for Oli: Halberd, Delfino
"Worst" counterpicks for Oli: Peach will probably go neutral. Recently I have found Castle Siege to be less than satisfactory in comparison to the other counterpicks. But just ban Smashville instead.

Notable "move beats move" situations:

Our fair is faster than Peach's fair and will beat it in most situations. However if you jump forward to fair Peach and she decides to do a retreating fair instead she will evade your fair and you will get hit by her fair. In those cases you can just punish her landing with a grab.

Our uair juggles Peach very well and her dair won't help her much.

Opponent's primary tools:
How we can deal with opponent's primary tools:

The easiest way to simplify this is to go by this rule. When Peach is in the air, attack her in the air. When Peach is trying to approach on the ground, just stop her with c stick and grab. If Peach is trying to bait you into the air with a good float, just punish her landing.

Summary:

It's not a hard matchup, you just need to keep up with Peach and that may take a little while to get used to. Just avoid the laggy moves cause she'll punish you hard. Don't sit in your shield too much cause she can pressure that to hell.

Other notes:

Purple toss is amazing. Do it all the time.

Usmash OoS helps punish a lot of Peach's moves.

Jab and nair are also good options OoS or when she is very close.

Whistle intelligently to get back on stage.

Read my writeup in this thread, which is located in the first post. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=269590
That should tell you everything you need. hoorah

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
can someone give tips on the mk matchup with olimar
the basics to start is that when he by you, dont jump. most characters jump is really safe, not him unless specific situations arize, and in those you are going to fast fall after the short hop. do your best not to give up ground, and remember he has low gravity so upsmash kills quick. he also has slightly longer tumble i think so its ok to juggle a little bit.

STEM

Smash Cadet
Anyone know the pikachu matchup? I know it's really in our favor but I always have no clue how to fight my friend who mains pikachu. I usually get 1 or 2 stocked, usually gimped for one of my stocks.

Noa.

Smash Master
Ok so our pikmin toss completely destroys any attempt that pikachu will make at camping. So you force Pika to approach. He can't approach on the ground cause our grab and fsmash beat all his options. His fair and dair are easy to pivot grab. If he's quick attack canceling an usmash or fsmash will beat that easily. All of his other random mixup options can be beat by pivot grab. He's somewhat easy to juggle with uair. You can't do much against his recovery. Against you he's a mediocore kind of edgeguarder. You just need to be smart and creative with your recovery and you'll be fine. While both of you are onstage avoid being in the air too much, cause those are opportunities for Pika to approach. Also during your match, keep in mind that it is incredibly hard for Pika to kill us, and we can kill him incredibly easily. Abuse that fact.

All that's left is thunder spiking. You need to SDI dsmash every time or else you will easily be killed by thunder. Hold up on your control stick and keep pressing up on your c stick until your out. When dsmash does get you it's much easier to avoid the thunder with airdodge than whistle.

Pikachu is an easy matchup. As long as you don't make any mistakes, Pika will have a very hard time getting in.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I am not sure either but if you go to training mode and 1/4 speed just up b and hold straight down do it can cancel. You will see that he first extends his hitbox vertically and then horizontally right after. The hitbox seems to only show to extend after Pikachu finishes a quick attack. So if he does both inputs of up b it is two times his hitbox extends, once after the first input of quick attack and once after the second input of quick attack.

Basically just line yourself up with Pikachu directly horizontal or vertical And you will hit him.

:phone:

Noa.

Smash Master
Ok so in the Falco matchup was it ever confirmed that our nair beats phantasm. Utilt and nair have similar characteristics but I'm not sure. If it does though, I'm thinking that while you're short hop tossing against Falco you can mix it up with short hop nairs so that makes your camping a bit safer against phantasm. Even if you just throw it out randomly the Falco might phantasm a bit more sparingly. Just a though. Mixing up between tosses and nair would help us camp against Falco. This is dependent on the fact that nair beats phantasm of course.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Read that whole post assuming your first sentence was confirming it rather than asking.

I am pretty sure falco is invincible during a section of the phantasm.

Not positive. I'll have to ask ryker in the morning.

:phone:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm pretty sure he isn't invincible anywhere during Phantasm.
IIRC, his hurtbox just jumps a good distance during parts of the move.

I could be wrong, though. Might be best to ask an actual Falco.

Noa.

Smash Master
I remember that when Richbrown told everyone that utilt beats phantasm, someone else mentioned that nair should too. Oh but I can't remember if it actually does.

Top Bottom