• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*New* Official Rob Stage Discussion (Phase 4: Lylat Cruise)

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
That's okay, no need to be sry I under stand.
But I promise to every ROB on our boards......and not just for this......I'll prove my self as a Good ROB player and very Knowledgeable as well.
Mostly to you Sudai since your our Moderator. (that is if I already haven't)
<3 Sudai (no homo) :)

K, down to business what's the stage we're discussing next GW?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Thanks Sudai, sorry Mizu. I'll edit my OP with the week updates after I finish my campbell's soup and grilled cheese.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Alright pictochat huh.
Sadly, I could only find some of the pics.
First of all. DO NOT TAKE HERE. Kirby has his annoying little Down B glitch here. (unless it's considered stalling)

This is just the normal stage nothing to worry about or look out for here. There nothing special about it either....so just treat it as is it's FD. :)

HUMAN

There aren't really any ways to camp on the "human" portion of the stage....just chose one of the sides and hide behind it. wait, for your opponent to approach. ROB has 4 different part where ROB can Dtilt lock one this portion of the stage. I would hve say that a lot of movement on this portion should help move from far left to the far right if your having trouble w/ someone....it'll pretty much restart the whole process and they'll have to try to approach you all over again. Prettty much over abuse the hand and head by trying to get Dtilt locks, moving around a lot, and other quick way to rack damage.

The Tree

This stage in a way is sort of like BF .in how the platforms are. So just play this portion sort of
like you'd play on BF. These plat forms are probably more in ROB's fav. than the one on BF. Use them to your advantage by forcing your opponent on them and Platform Pressuring to get more damage. Nothing really important about this stage.
Gusty area

Start spamming ****....Gyros, Lasers :laser:, tilts. Though you maybe slowly being pushed of the stage don't be worried about it ROB's recovery is the ****. Make sure the opponent is more worried about being blown of stage than you, calm your self and let your opponent worry for you. Remember start spamming!

Minecart

Do not allow your opponent to get on the cart or throw you into the Cart. Instead use any of ROB's throws they're perfect for throwing your opponent into the mine cart. Lets take for example ROb's F-throw, if you F-throw they have about 2 choices DI up (into the cart) and airdodge, or just DI straight and get ready for ROB to come at them.

Fireballz (yum)

Stay on the ground! This portion is all about ground control. At this point it's a battle between you and your opponent to see who can get the other into the fire. If you get knocked into the fire ballz DI up and use Up B to get out safely. This is a stage ROB can very easily juggle other and very easily get juggled.

Blockz

Mr.Whale

Spring

Metal Beam

Boat

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
If you guys feel it's not important enough of a stage, I'll move on though.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
mmmmmm....It's not that important because no one really pays any attention to it. It's sort of like Yoshi.......not many people thinks Yoshi important so no noe pays any attention to him.
Poor Yoshi :(

+ it's not that important, and it's A LOT of work.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I see a lot of ROBs go with Frigate, Japes, and Rainbow Cruise, but I feel Lylat is just as good of an option, let's discuss it.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Lylat Criuse it is.....

Lylat is a wierd stage. Let's start.
If you decide to shoot your Gyro out, beware that you could lose it for a while or your opponent can easily pick it up. Pickin up your Gyro here can cost you some damage, this is because of the tilting of the stage. Keep your Gyro charge low so you can shoot your Gyro close by and quickly pick it up. A great time to get your Gyro is when your opponent decides to start "trying to abuse the plat forms" and ROB's blindspot. For some weird reason when I play this stage this works well: as soon as they get on one of the platforms quickly shoot out your Gyro then as soon as it land go DA to pick it up. Now for the tilting of the stage. This can **** w/ any character's recovery. For ROB the tilting of the stage is nuetral it can help him or mess w/ him. Recovery wise it can cost ROB some extra fuel or against A LOT of characters a STOCK, Because if the stage tilts away from ROB and it cost ROB some but during the time ROB is trying to recover many chracters can simply Walk Off into an Aerial to stage spike ROB.
One more hing I no it's good against these Characters:
Link (somewhat)
DK
Cpt Falcon
Falco (?)
Fox (?)
Wolf (?)
Lucas
Mario
Bowser
G&W (somewhat)
Zelda

Keep these Characters away from here:
MK (pretty much like every other stage lol)
Snake (if you don't believe me you'll figure out why)
Wario
Diddy knog
DDD

And I think that's everything I know. Feel free to add to this. :)

buenob

Smash Lord
as always mines on a platform are sex for snake, and the level actually makes it hard to see where he put them (but that's a john we should all be over by now)

i actually really like this stage for rob, and I would take MK here fairly confidentely... once you get used to the angles, your top ends up in awesome places, and I can pretty much guarantee that the opponent won't know _exactly_ where the gyro is going to go unless they main rob too...

we have a lot of trixie things to do with the ledges, more than some (but not as many as others).. i like doing 2x rising uairs to poke shields through the level if they're trying to edge me, and nair is sweet too...

rob doesn't really kill up much, and when he does it's with a beastly usmash, so the high blastzone doesn't hurt us too much, and the side zones feel to me like a safe balance between KO and gimping..

oh and that old trick of landing laglessly on moving platforms is a fun trick to pull out, i've used it to put me in an unexpected position for a gyro gimp before

TheMike

Smash Lord
Lylat isn't so good. But it isn't so bad, either.
Low plattforms and easier up/side kills is and advantage.
But the irregular ground is and disadvantage because sometimes you can't camp well.
At least it is more difficult for some characters to recover when ROB tries gimps.

6Mizu said:
Keep these Characters away from here:
[...]
Diddy Kong
Why? This is stage is so bad for Diddy. He can't use his bananas well because the stage will be turning low and high all the time. Irregular ground isn't good for him. Besides, the edge can give some problems for Diddy when he's recoverying with Up B.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Before I post on Lylat
I actually like Pictochat a lot, ROB's throws are amazing for throwing opponents into hazards. I feel like the lagless dair becomes a little more viable here because of the really high lower blast zone. This is a good level for camping, and once you get used to the hazards, ROB can abuse them fairly well. Plus, Upstate New York has some crazy stage lists, so this is actually an option for me lol.

@ Lylat
I personally love tourneys where this is a neutral, because I think this one gives ROB so many advantages when compared to the others (except maybe FD depending on matchup) Like Buenob mentioned, you can use the platform cancel here, which I feel gives ROB some good options, (Im actually really considering practicing this tech the more I think about it.) Although, keep in mind that the platforms occasionally count as still(as opposed to moving) so the platform cancel doesnt work...

Thin floor allows ROB to poke shields with Uair and get some surprise kills with nair. The platforms on this stage are all optimal height for u-tilt pressure, and theoretically i think that would make them viable for the usmash into shield>dtilt lock (although the stage tilting may interfere).

Gyro can be difficult to pick up at certain times because of the tilting, but I feel this hinders your opponent more than it does you, because you should have a better idea which slants make it harder to pick it up. And I second what buenob said about being able to predict the landing of the gyro, once you play the stage enough, you really get a feel for where its going, definitely more so than an opponent who doesn't have as much experience vs ROB on this stage.

High blast zone gives ROB a little more protection if his weak spot beneath him is being abused as he can survive much longer. If you're having trouble climbing onto the stage, you can fly underneath to the other side. Overall, it's much more likely that an opponent's recovery is going to get messed up by this stage than ROBs will. Just be careful, if you accidentally miss the ledge and go underneath, it can take a little bit of time to correct and re-grab the ledge, which gives ballsy opponents an opportunity to go for a stage spike.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Lylat is a stage that doesn't bother nor does it affect me when I play R.O.B.
Theonly thing that's annoting about this stage is for some weird reason ROB's blind spot is more affected by this stage. Maybe it's the tliting or the platforms......don't know why but it can get very annoying. :mad:

Top Bottom