• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I will in November or something. I forget the date. Nolan knows more. Maybe I come sooner cause something Project M related is happening?

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Zac is coming down twice in the coming moons.
Once for GP Albuquerque where we will have an amazing sweep where I will take first and zac will take last.
Twice to deliver my 5 dollars for a bet he loses in 3 years.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I know this is CRAZY, but I actually want to talk about smash on here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IPJ7n0RlOc

This match, I think, is very interesting. Not only is it a relatively unknown player putting chillindude in his place (chillindude is great and one of the best foxes, I'm just joking), but this guy looks like Azen with his fsmashes. It's like he's a pretty average player (I'm sure he's not, but it looks like it) besides his option covering with fsmash, which is just fantastic. He spaces it perfectly almost every time in tons of different scenarios, getting to the point where chillin is terrified of recovering and makes mistakes.

Anyways, random smash video for the day. I might continue on this.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
This is a prime example, as Sam and I discussed earlier today, of how little the Marth meta-game has evolved in the last 4 years. Why did PP win this matchup? Because M2K is so predictable in his marth dittos. He does the same thing over and over, even when it's not working. PP is the kind of player that takes advantage of this.
This was a blow up. However, I partially attribute this to a defeatist m2k. As we all saw at Apex, M2K is a LOT more creative when he is riding the hype train, from previous matches or the crowd or whatever. It seems, though, once he starts to get blown up he has serious trouble coming back.

Great vid Sam! Marth is very interesting to explore right now because he's stagnating SO much. Hopefully a newer player like the Moon or someone will help his metagame evolve and see Marth start placing well in tournaments again.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
This is a prime example, as Sam and I discussed earlier today, of how little the Marth meta-game has evolved in the last 4 years. Why did PP win this matchup? Because M2K is so predictable in his marth dittos. He does the same thing over and over, even when it's not working. PP is the kind of player that takes advantage of this.
This was a blow up. However, I partially attribute this to a defeatist m2k. As we all saw at Apex, M2K is a LOT more creative when he is riding the hype train, from previous matches or the crowd or whatever. It seems, though, once he starts to get blown up he has serious trouble coming back.

Great vid Sam! Marth is very interesting to explore right now because he's stagnating SO much. Hopefully a newer player like the Moon or someone will help his metagame evolve and see Marth start placing well in tournaments again.
the thing though about marth is that there really isn't thing new with the character. i've compared marth to the ryu of smash as he's effective but everyone knows how to fight against him. when the new melee tech has stopped marth will only be as effective as the player using him, just like ryu.

my little snl skit for the day.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
Valid point. There is no new technology for marth being developed (or at least not in great quantities). However, MU metagame should still be evolving as other characters metagames evolve. Marth players do the same things against falco as they did 4 years ago, but falco playstyle has completely changed since then.

Perhaps marth is going down in usage because he can't keep up with the current metagame, with new tech from spacies and sheik. But I think that marth can still be a good character, there just isn't anyone who's being innovative with him. Sure, m2k has done wonders for marth's abilities off stage, but what about the rest of the game on the stage? Really, most people still look like Ken on stage.

In the end, maybe this is because 4 years ago they really did delve as far into Marth's on stage metagame as could be expected. But I think we need that new Marth that's going to come in and change the marth metagame for the better.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually mildly interested in this, just because I want to stay in practice. I'm not convinced very many people will be there though. Also, if it's going to be like 20 people, it really doesn't need to be a 2 day event.

If I don't have much homework that weekend, and it looks like people will actually be there, I might go. If other people from Abq don't go, I might actually win money.

greenblattsam

Smash Cadet
I'm actually mildly interested in this, just because I want to stay in practice. I'm not convinced very many people will be there though. Also, if it's going to be like 20 people, it really doesn't need to be a 2 day event.

If I don't have much homework that weekend, and it looks like people will actually be there, I might go. If other people from Abq don't go, I might actually win money.
I would be down to go as well. If you want dude, we can totally make this a thing.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
I would be down to go as well. If you want dude, we can totally make this a thing.
That sounds pretty fun actually, but I'm not sure if there will be enough people at this tournament for it to be worth traveling to. If there is going to be a decent amount of local talent there, then I'm down (pending me checking my schedule to make sure I won't have boatloads of homework).

greenblattsam

Smash Cadet
That sounds pretty fun actually, but I'm not sure if there will be enough people at this tournament for it to be worth traveling to. If there is going to be a decent amount of local talent there, then I'm down (pending me checking my schedule to make sure I won't have boatloads of homework).
Those are my thoughts exactly.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
I crossposted this on the NM-ISM forums, which is the Albuquerque FGC's version of SWF since no one uses SRK anymore.

There's an upcoming anime convention with fighting games. Brawl has a full-fledged tournament, while Melee is a casual event. We could coordinate with the sponsors to host everything in between the spectrum, including Project: M.

Summary:

Name - Sabaku Con 2013
Date - Friday, April 12 - Sunday, April 14
Time - Doors open at 10 a.m. Different games are on different days.
Place - Crowne Plaza Hotel [1901 University Blvd NE / Albuquerque, NM 87102 / (505) 884-2500]
Cost - You need to register for a badge. An all-weekend pass is $40, but individual days cost only $25.
The schedule doesn't explain if each game has a separate entry fee. Maybe the badge covers everything.
Website - Click here, damn it. It's got everything you need! :happysheep:

Anime conventions can be risky business, but the sponsor (AZHP Gaming) seems legit.
Still, the prizes probably aren't worth the cost. Is this worth our time? What do you think?

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
The FGC seems to think it's a waste of time. I would say let's go but like, it's 25 bucks just to get in the door. Especially since there's not even a melee tournament. Idk... might be better off just hosting a fest that weekend.
If everyone else is down though, hell, I'll go.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Sounds good. You guys have a facebook group for the area? That's how most people organize stuff these days :X

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
I'm moving to Santa Fe, New Mexico. What's the smash scene like?
Hey Wretched, I think there are at least one or two smashers in Santa Fe, but they're not too active. Good news is that Sante Fe is only about an hour away and our scene is a bit better. If you play melee we have two or three very high caliber players and a few others that are getting there. As far as Brawl goes, we have a few good players here too but the scene is pretty dead. Tekkie and Napos would know better, but I don't think too much happens, but I'm sure if you're really adamant you could definitely get some decent players together.
Our biggest scene, currently, is probably Project M, we have a few good players in it and a lot of newer players getting into smash just from that game.
So I suppose it all depends on what you play. Any big events that go down definitely have facebook events, but usually we just hold fests or whatever, and the occasional tournament. Like I said, though, if you've got the spirit, we could probably start doing a lot more stuff around here. Ever since Melee got into evo, the scene is a bit more alive. Add me on fb too:
www.facebook.com/wraith55

Napos

Smash Ace
I am off on fridays and.......i WILL be attending. Taking number 1 at the Brawl tournament.

So count me in, and Sliraobe God, sorry for not answering texts, been sooooo f'in busy my main man.

If they need help with brawl just holla.

Looking at you Tekkie.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Hey New Mexico,

Utah's hosting a pretty big tourney coming up in May and we'd love to see you out there. There is a $150 pot bonus guaranteed to both Melee and Brawl (If we get 32 registered, that is bumped up to $250 and only goes up from there with more entrants). Also, M2K just confirmed he's coming today, and I'm sure other notable players will be there as well. We'd love to see you come out for this. It's a huge convention with other tournaments such as LoL, MVC, SF, etc and other events as well. Should be a lot of fun.

It's May 10-12, but the smash tournaments will be held on that Saturday, the 11th. There's more info here:

http://www.saltfest.org/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Top Bottom