• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New mechanics you'd like to see. (No wavedashing and L cancelling discussion)

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Samus' could be Morph Ball Boost.
Falco's could be a Swan Dive while firing off his blaster 2 or 3 times in a quick fashion.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Pikachu's Dash B could be Iron Tail, where he converts his tail to metal and reverses directions without turning around, sending his tail straight into enemies. That would fix the problem of not having Iron Tail.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Friend throwing: like a normal grab, but performed on teammates and does no damage, possibly in the air too (like ice climbers)

Only real problem I see is Captain Falcon f-air out of a throw

Riskbreaker

Smash Rookie
Style Selects, similar to CvS2's Groove system

Different styles affect certain normals and smashes, and possibly Final smashes.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
As an Olimar main myself it seems to me you have little idea over how much control you can(and must) have over your Pikmin in a match, both in terms of order and type. Brawl is already a fairly defensive/punish game which hews greatly to his playstyle. You will be killing hundreds of the little fellas through-out a match, farming them down, and setting up the right Pikmin for the right move is what their play-style is all about. YES, it matters, whether or not you use your up+air with a yellow or a blue; yes it matters whether or not you stick your opponent with a white Pikmin over a red, and it definitely matters whether or not you grab your opponent with a sneaky purple pikmin for a good throw finish. If your Olimar is about anything OTHER than keeping tabs on your Pikmin, and ordering them in-between pivot grabs, spaced f-airs, etc., you are going to be a fairly unsuccessful Olimar player. Every Pikmin has its own advantages with different moves, whether it be angles, health, or range(watch out for my blue grab!) What's great about his options isn't that they're exactly random, it's that you're population control, and that what move you're about to do with what Pikmin is something you should've already been thinking of six pikmin before that. When you're edge-guarding with Olimar, you're not just edgeguarding, you're choosing who and what to edge-guard with(great time to throw some at your enemy you don't want!) So it'd be really appreciated if you didn't start throwing out presumptions on what a player is worried about and what his character is capable of in a match, otherwise you look kinda like a *******.
This /really/ makes competitive brawl sound so much more boring than I remember.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Replace fast-falling with "diving," and include one or more diving "attacks."
Grab-release, if the opponent grabs right when they release (maybe a 5-10 frame window?) ends up in your opponent grabbing you.
While on the ledge, an option to strengthen your grip on the ledge (2 hands instead of one) at the expense of some of your off-the-ledge options.
Leaping far forwards or backwards (with an ability to do some aerials, maybe "leap attacks" instead) to replace SHFFLing.

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
Sorry if this has been said already:
Air Dashes
Rolls getting replaced with back dash
Aerial Smashes
Swimming underwater, maybe?
Attacks with hit boxes far in the z axis that can hit people out of dodges/techs in exchange for really low priority
Shield can be easily aimed via c-stick
Universal wall jump
Final Smashes made more like traditional supers
Id love for Shield + Direction to be a mix between the current roll and the Wavedash, or basically MvC dash, so you can back away whuile still facing the opponent. If that was the case Id guess the roll COULD be kept but in Barrell Roll-style (L or R twice quickly)

Also the third button just for tilts is intriguing.

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice
Wall Clinging, when you are next to a wall, you can press the grab button to hold onto the wall for a period of time.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Counter Hits: If you interrupt an opponents attack with your own, special properties will be added to attack you hit them with I,E. Increased Hit-Stun or Knock-back. A lot of fighting games already have a Counter-Hit mechanic, I'm actually surprised that it doesn't already exist in some form in SSB.

Air-Dashes: This has already been stated many times before, but this is just plain gold. Though, I would say that this mechanic should not be universal, it should be something that's restricted to characters like Link and Captain Falcon.

Wall-Run: This would be a great ability to give characters that can already Cling to walls.

Projectile Invisibility and Super Armor: I think that these speak for themselves. There's no reason that certain characters shouldn't have something akin to these.

Being able to initiate a surprise attack during a Dodge Roll that, while being about as hard hitting as a Smash Attack, leaves you vulnerable for a short amount of time.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my hat.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I guess I should be less specific. I'd like Final Smashes to more difficult to perform, and better balanced, in order to make them tournement viable.

For instance:
If each was just a single move like Mario or Samus.
If they turned up on a condition, like all players are on 150%+
If they required time to activate, so players needed to choose their moment carefully

Thoughts?
Final Smashes are fun, therefore competitive players will never want Final Smashes in their tourneys, they hate supermoves, they hate stage hazards, they hate flashy things, in short, they hate everything that makes the game enjoyable and love everything that makes the game annoying.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
ridley and naruto plx

I actually have a small list:

-Olimar's White Pikmin should do actual poison damage with the poison effect from Pikmin 2 (the purple-ish clouds)
-Luigi should have his scuttle technique (I imagine you'd hold 'X' to activate it, in a fashion similar to Peach's float ability)
-Kirby's dash attack should be Burning (like in Melee, except this time Kirby doesn't descend when it's used near a ledge and he goes off the stage)

All I can think of right now.

We have Dash Attacks.

So why not Dash B?
As cool as it seems, it would interfere with the games mechanics since there are already side inputs it would just default into the dash B, and using Side be would be impossible without walking. You would still be able to link aerials into side specials sure and I honestly wouldn't a dash B, but people who went into smash not being able to do tilts might, and that would cause an accessibility issue.

The way I see it each smash introduced a great deal of new mechanics. Melee gave us a lot of new combat mechanics, while Brawl gave use movement mechanics. I'm sure we will get some of both with Smash 4.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I would love the ability to control the distance your roll goes. Like, if you hold left while rolling right you would go a shorter distance in a shorter time, if you hold right while rolling right it would take longer but you would go further, and if you don't hold anything it will be normal.

Final Smashes are fun, therefore competitive players will never want Final Smashes in their tourneys, they hate supermoves, they hate stage hazards, they hate flashy things, in short, they hate everything that makes the game enjoyable and love everything that makes the game annoying.
You. I'm annoyed by you.

So by your definition, people playing the game they want to play means it's boring? You really need to stop speaking for people and find your own definition of fun.

This is coming from a Street fighter III: Third Strike, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Marvel vs Capcom , Tekken Tag Tournament, BlazeBlue, Persona 4 Arena player. All games which are flashy and contain super moves, so that crack you make at what we like in competitive smash is bs.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
water mechanics:
a new moveset when swiming in water, like water attacks, water specials, and water grabs
drowning is still a possibility.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
The ones that I thought of (and my mindset is mostly utilizing the default controls for the Nintendo GameCube (GCN) controller):

-Team Assignment Other Than By Color: Probably my most desperately wanted mechanic. If you're doing Team Battles, there should be an option other than "Red Team", "Blue Team", and "Green Team", so that you can use other palette swaps and costumes on the same team. Maybe "Alpha/Beta/Gamma Team" or "A/B/C Team"? As someone who often has to resort to playing Smash solo, I typically engage in Team Battles as solo Free-for-All Matches are not very fun with 2+ computer players (they tend to devolve into "2+-vs.-1 matches", or "all the computer players vs the human!"), and it would be nice to see more color options other than just red/blue/green all the time. The "Red/Blue/Green" Teams would be the default option, although you could change Teams to be sorted by letter instead.
-Breakable armor (more of a visual mechanic): for characters it can apply to, such as Meta Knight, Captain Falcon, and Link
-Bonuses: These need to return, even if just for aesthetic effect at the end of a match; I don't mind if there isn't a Bonus Mode.
-4th taunt button: it's there, so why not?
-4th victory pose: 3-4 is fine for me
-Applicable wall jump/wall cling: all characters who can do it in their own games should be able to do it in the Super Smash Bros. series
-Kirby "Copy Ability release" aside from Taunt: a way to release Kirby's current Copy Ability without Taunting. You know, sometimes I want to taunt with the Kirby hat on! At worst, if everyone receives 4 Taunts, make Kirby's "4th Taunt" perform this function.
-Enhanced tether for Zero Suit Samus (ZSS), Ivysaur, and Pikmin&Olimar: What I mean is, if you try to grab in mid-air with these characters, the action becomes their tether. As in, if you're using Ivysaur with a GCN Controller, either "Up-B" (Up Special) or "Z in mid-air" (mid-air 'grab') both yield the result of "Vine Whip". ZSS's mid-air grab would probably depend on directional input, with the default being her Side Special. I hate the redundancy of it, but it helps a little when you're switching characters (to alleviate the "MID-AIR Z = TETHER; UP-B = EXTRA JUMP" mentality that doesn't necessarily apply to all characters....).
-Stage Hopping: The stage you're fighting on transitions to another one in the same Universe on occasion (somewhat similar to the Castle Siege mechanic). For example, you could transition from Peach's Castle (SSB64) to Princess Peach's Castle below (SSB Melee).
-Coin Usage (more of a menu mechanic): I'd like to have more to do with them when I'm offline... On second thought, these would be great for collecting CDs, Trophies, and Stickers (and even unlockable characters/stages, if you're that lazy), so that you're not left at the behest of the game's RNG/randomization. If you don't want to do a Challenge (moreso the more difficult ones), you can instead opt to pay for what you want to unlock in the form of Coins. This way, you're not given an outright free pass like with the Golden Hammers, and you still have to put some form of effort in to unlock stuff. Random elements should be easier to purchase (for example, although I'm not keeping track of specific Stickers, I've been at "685/700 Stickers collected" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for weeks/months now, and I'd hate to have to do a match specifically dedicated to collecting Stickers like I did with the CDs and the CD Factory. Due to the Stickers' randomness, I'm not even sure how long that would take). Coin collecting should be like how it was in Brawl (you get a decent amount of Coins for pretty much doing anything :p).
-Home Stage Advantage: An option (that can be turned on or off) that provides certain characters with advantages when playing on certain stages. For example, if Mario was fighting on a stage hailing from his own "Super Mario" Universe (like Delfino Plaza), he would receive a 30% damage multiplier (resulting in 1.3x) to all of his attacks. For stages specific to the Super Smash Bros. franchise (like Battlefield and Final Destination) or without an actual playable combatant (like Hanenbow in Brawl), no character receives a bonus.
-Co-Op Classic Mode: IIRC, this was the only 1-Player Mode that lacked a Co-Op function. I don't know why, since it seems entirely feasible.
-Toggleable Stage Hazards: Although Masahiro Sakurai stated that he likely wouldn't be including this, I really see no valid reason for this. I mean, that is hardly the sole defining feature of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, and I've seen people asking for this mechanic in the Super Smash Bros. series well before PSASBR even existed. Moreover, it would be nice to have some more visual variety when watching tournament matches aside from seeing Final Destination or Battlefield 100 times in a row during some gameplay sessions. -.-
-Tripping/Pratfalls: As an option that can be turned on or off, not something that is annoyingly ALWAYS ON.
-"Mystery Effects" mechanic: Similar to Special Brawl, a mode that randomizes what effects will be present prior to each match (for example, one match could be "Giant Metal Brawl with Light Gravity", while the very next match could be "Curry Bunny Hood Brawl with Fixed Camera").
-More Specific Item Toggle: As in, you can specifically toggle whether you want Crates, Barrels, and Capsules, be they regular or Rolling. Also, you can specifically toggle what Pokemon and Assist Trophies that you want to appear (so I can kick that Nintendog Assist Trophy to the curb and finally engage in matches chock full of only legendary Pokemon :p).
-Picking Custom Stages That Are Included In Stage Randomizer: Brawl practically had this down perfectly, except I hated the "all-or-nothing" approach in regards to Custom Stages (as in, either all the Custom Stages can be included in the stage randomizer, or none of them can be). I would like to select which specific Custom Stages can be included as well.
-"Party Stock/Party System"/"Tag Team": The thing people are mentioning where if you get KO'd, you switch out to a predetermined character selected before the match. Subspace Emissary (SSE) kind of had this, where you chose x amount of characters, and you went down the list as you got KO'd. Aside from an entire mode featuring this kind of gameplay, I would love it if this feature were fixed for Co-Op Adventure Mode play as well.
--For instance, Co-Op SSE had Player 1 pick 2 characters, and Player 2 pick 2 characters. Both players start out with the first fighter that they picked, but whoever gets the "3rd" character depends on whoever gets KO'd first during the mode. It needs to be fixed so that if you get KO'd, you continue only with characters that you picked, not those that your partner picked. For scenarios where only 5 characters are allowed, Player 1 should get to pick, although if both players are on their respective second stocks, the last fighter goes to whoever gets KO'd first (alternatively, it could be fixed so that if you're doing Co-Op, both players pick the same amount of characters so that you don't have this problem - similar to how Co-Op All-Star Mode grants you an extra Heart Container).
-Extensive Button Mapping options
-Utility Button: In place of an extra attack button, certain characters could have an extra button to help with those little cumbersome actions - particularly, ridding Kirby of his Copy Ability (without having to resort to Taunting) or switching between Power Suit Samus and Zero Suit Samus. For example, with a GCN Controller with the X Button mapped as "Jump", the "Y Button" could be the Utility Button.
-Pokemon Type Advantages/Disadvantages: Although I hate how imbalanced it is in practice (Ivysaur having to contend with a myriad of fiery attacks), I really liked the concept. Maybe Pikachu could be weaker to Earth/Ground attacks, Lucario succumbs to fiery attacks, Mewtwo falls prey to "Darkness" attacks, Squirtle is susceptible to Electric attacks, and Jigglypuff is victim to pretty much every attack in the game. :p...is victim to swords (Steel-based) and poison and..stuff.

Other than that, aerial throws and underwater battling, like others have said, as well as a "3rd-attack-button move" (I mean, if you're keeping "short hop" and "standard jump" on the same button, there's little reason to have two jump buttons). Also, there could be an option to map "short hop" to another button.

Every smash game adds some new mechanics to the already solid formula of gameplay, the question is what would you like to see become a possible mechanic in Smash 4?

I myself have a small wishlist, which only grew upon playing PSA and seeing some interesting things going on there that would have worked better in a smash game, they are as follows.

1) Being able to drop through platforms while performing air moves - This really grew on me while playing PSA and made me realise just how much I wish I could do it in brawl. In fact, I even thought it was possible when I played brawl again shortly after.

2) Platform dropping while laying down - Once again this was a mechanic in PSA that stayed glued to my mind while playing brawl again afterwards.

3) Three attack buttons - I would love to see a fresh class of moves present in a smash game, as much as I love smashes, tilts and specials, with a 3rd attack button you could open up a whole new bunch of options. Perhaps remove the delay needed to perform a tilt by assigning smash attacks to the 3rd button, and tilting on the 3rd button would allow for even heavier hitting tilt moves that only just fall short of being as powerful as uncharged smash moves.

Any other fresh ideas?
These seem interesting...

Very very minor thing, but I would like to see an air turn mechanic. As in, being able to turn around while mobile in the air (yes I know B-reversal exists).

I would also like to see Final Smashes be implemented into character movesets but as in a lesser form.
I agree with the "air-turn mechanic", and I'd like to see how subdued integration of Final Smashes in actual movesets would work out...

While charging a Smash attack, you can do a full turn (like Falcon Punch in Brawl) and use the fully charged Smash in the complete opposite direction.
This.

Momentum: Gives stun armor to heavy weights if they are running full speed

Example: Would allow Bowser to run through a few weak projectiles
This.

Air grabs just popped into my head, I'd love to see a universal one that could perhaps allow for the 4 way throws mid-air.
This.

I would like to see a versus option where you can choose multiple characters as opposed to one. For example, if you are playing a 3 stock match you could choose to lead with Pikachu while having Fox and Samus on reserve. The only way to switch between characters is to get KO-d, so if Pikachu is knocked out then the player would spawn as the next character in their lineup, in this case it would be Fox.

Utilizing this would allow for a stronger focus on counter-play in the competitive scene while allowing casual players to mess around more often.
This.

Let's see, I had a few of my own:

GENERAL:
-Chargeable aerials
-Two types of Airdodges, mapped to different shoulder buttons.
-Air grabs (that work on air dodges, to put an end to its scum :) )
-Platform dropping a'la PSASBR sounds good, but just that.
-Taunt switching (instead of Down+B for switcheable characters)
-Air switching (for all switcheable characters, including Samus and Pokemon Trainer)
-Instead of a horrible swimming mechanic for water, I prefer an infinite double-jump mechanic in low-gravity.
-Melee Tethering, executed as easily as in brawl (no dodge+Z, why not just plain Z?)
-A party system, like in SSE. You select up to 3 characters, and they'll switch out everytime you're KOd.

CHARACTER SPECIFIC:
-Samus: Needs air-charging.
Chargeable aerials could be interesting, and Power Suit Samus definitely needs air-charging. I don't mind having to switch Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon with Down Special, although I wish Samus had a different/easier way to switch between Power Suit and Zero Suit forms... I've been able to manage with the Star Fox Taunts and the Metal Gear codecs, but I've never been able to switch Samus's form while taunting.. :(

8 way item toss.
This.

Elemental effects:
-Burning/flame effect causes you to take 1% damage every half second or so
From things like: PK Fire, bomb detonations, Falcon Punch, Din's Fire, Flare Blade

-Freezing/cold effect slows down your movement speeds and increases attack lag
From things like: FLUDD, Surf, Blizzard, Ice Climber ice pieces

-Dark/poison/curse causes you to take more damage from incoming attacks
From things like: Wizard Kick, Wario fart, Luigi final smash, Mewtwo's glowing attacks

-Lightning/shock effects that have a lot of hitstun
From things like: PK Thunder, Lightning Jolt, Screw Attack

-Wind effect that increases character floatiness and makes jumps higher
From things like: Gale boomerang, Phantasm, Reflect

-Earth/heavy effect that deals lots of shield damage and shield stun, and increases dizzy time of the enemy if used to break a shield
From things like: DK Headbutt, Rock Smash, Pound, Ike forward smash
More debilitating statuses could be interesting...

I'd also enjoy it if Mario and/or Luigi's footstool jumps did damage in homage to their roots :)
This! (Along with Link being able to fire a Sword Beam whenever he's at 0% damage (usually at the start of the match or whenever he's respawning. If he has taken damage during a stock but subsequently heals to 0% damage, the effect returns as long as he's at 0% damage).

to prevent players from grabbing the ledge simply because the opponenet grabbed it themselves for an un-honorable kill, make it so we can grab the legs of those who are grabbing the ledge! :awesome:
XD

I like these, but I'd switch the effects of flames and the effects of poison. Poison, after all, is the essence of something dealing DOT, while burns make the flesh very tender and vulnerable. And personally, I would get rid of the wind status effect,since it doesn't really make much sense, and moves with wind are already pretty unique.
I beg to differ, as I see fire/burning as the quintessential DOT effect. Igniting an enemy with a flame move and a bomb explosion seems like the best concept for dealing DOT, to me. Poison/curse/dark for amplifying damage makes sense, since the primary user of that effect will be Ganon (purple aura attacks) and Mewtwo (purple aura attacks). Lucario might have a weaker version of this effect or a unique aura effect due to the nature of his moves. Maybe even a weakened version of the burning effect.
Maybe the burn effect could be steady/constant (say, 4% every 2 seconds) while the poison effect amplifies (every 2 seconds) for its duration (starts out at 1% every 2 seconds, then 3%, 5%, 7% until the status wears off, which I imagine would be less than 15-30 seconds)...

what has really annoyed me in past games is when people grab the edge so you cant.

i would like to see a mechanic that would allow you to grab the person who is grabbing the ledge.

in teams, this could extend the ledge to help save a falling teammate,

1v1: the recovering person has a change to pull the person off the ledge, while at the same time the edgegaurder has a change to shake the recoverer off the ledge. damage would indicate which event happens e.i if recoverer has more damage, less change of pulling edgeguarder off ledge.
weight would also be involved. like dk hanging off of of olimar would most likely pull olimar off the ledge. where as lighter characters can climb up faster. same weight, could go either way.
This could be interesting (and a nice way to get revenge on edge-hoggers :p).

Blocking and grabbing in the air would make aerials battles more intense. I used to dream about a stage which would be an eternal fall without platforms, so you can only hit with specials and aerials.
This; I love the concept in theory, although I'm somewhat hesitant in theory. Someone said that there was a Metroid boss battle that was similar to this idea, being just one long fall..

XD

Honestly I would like a way to activate the Crowd Cheering in play for fun. Only could be used once or twice per match though.
This could be nice (for some reason, the Brawl crowd seems to cheer for people way less than the SSB64 or Melee crowds, IMO).

Item stealing: grab an opponent to attempt to wrestle the item away from your opponent. Priority goes to heavier character (or it could be whoever button mashes faster XD)
LOL; this would be hilarious to watch unfold. XD I think I'd prefer 'person who button-mashes faster'...

Not really a mechanic, but I't be great if you could set the appear-chance of a specific item, the same way you can with the music in Brawl:
So you mean the "Low, Medium, High" rarity setting in general, as well as with specific items? That would be interesting... (I would love to see that menu screen, though XD)

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
splitting side specials into froward and backward specials
might as well do the same for attacks. a back tilt, a back smash.

if this keeps up, there would be no reason to turn around and this game would be no different than any other fighting game.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
might as well do the same for attacks. a back tilt, a back smash.

if this keeps up, there would be no reason to turn around and this game would be no different than any other fighting game.
Except that it would still be different than other fighting games.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I'd actually dig a mechanic where speedy characters like Sonic and CF get more knockback on their air attacks the faster they're moving. It'd help Sonic's chasing game immensely.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I remember hearing a few people talk about a third attack button in another thread. I would be really interested in that. Though I wounder what it would be exactly. I'm thinking something along the lines of a "Heavy" attack. Like with Mario, his regular attacks can be A, where he punches and kicks. But if you hit the "Heavy" Attack Button, he uses his Hammer. I would like to see something like that in Smash, but I understand is others don't.

Or how about a fifth Special attack? where you have to input A+B to use it? That could be cool too.

Also, Super Armor, it would be cool to see heavier characters have these. Or even if Smash attacks had these.

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice
Man, i remember this topic lol

maybe when you tech, you bounce up. kinda create depth instead of just guaranteed tech chases lol

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Swimming Underwater. (Press Down and you will fight underwater with light physics until you jump out)
Charge Smash Attacks Longer.

That's pretty much it. Then i would be totally satisfied.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Well, for those wanting cancels from dashes into tilts and smashes, its been confirmed that there is pivot cancelling which with a proper practice should accomplish the goal and it appears you can act out of a foxtrot as shown by the sonic trailer.

Top Bottom