• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New mechanics you'd like to see. (No wavedashing and L cancelling discussion)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Interactive tagteam moves could be fun.

Each character would have a move that would require another character. The move would only be utilized if there were three or more players on the stage.

A press of the tagteam button would result in a character offering their hand like in a handshake while smiling. The other player would have to press the tagteam button as well while in the vicinity. This could be done in any match, does not have to be tag team.

Of course, when someone offers their hand you do not have to ally with them. You can smash, throw, hit, or jump off their head if you preferred.

Bowser or DK could throw their allied partner toward the opponent. Yoshi could throw the ally onto his back and move around fast while the ally can attack. Olimar could transfer his Pikmin to his ally for throwing purposes.

* Also a tagteam offer (holding out yer hand with a smile) could be used as a trick. Offer your hand and when a potential ally comes running in to team up, smack them.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I beg to differ, as I see fire/burning as the quintessential DOT effect. Igniting an enemy with a flame move and a bomb explosion seems like the best concept for dealing DOT, to me. Poison/curse/dark for amplifying damage makes sense, since the primary user of that effect will be Ganon (purple aura attacks) and Mewtwo (purple aura attacks). Lucario might have a weaker version of this effect or a unique aura effect due to the nature of his moves. Maybe even a weakened version of the burning effect.
Oh, didn't look at the examples for poison. I wouldn't call any of those moves poison, but curse/dark would be pretty accurate. For those characters,, moves increasing move damage would certainly work, but I would be interested in having them debuff the enemy instead, by nerfing their damage, for example. And for the fire effect, wouldn't it kinda overlap with the current poison effect (flowers) if it was DOT?

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Something I thought of.....what if pulling off a Power Shield acted like a small counter, by pushing the opponent back a ways in a short stun animation, instead of just avoiding damage? Or sent the attacker bouncing a little bit into the air from the backlash of the counter?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
1) Being able to drop through platforms while performing air moves - This really grew on me while playing PSA and made me realise just how much I wish I could do it in brawl. In fact, I even thought it was possible when I played brawl again shortly after.
.Platform Sharking would disappear, and I don't think that would be popular.

Swimming (underwater) is the only thing missing for me.
I hate the Water Bull**** in Brawl.

Here's how the Water Physics should work imo:

During the Wind Effect on PKMN 2, players' Falling Speed is decreased and their Jumping Power is increased.

In water, players should be slowed down by 30% in everything they do.

Air Speed, Falling Speed, attacks, specials, projectiles, dodging,
knockback/Launch Path, well everything.
You'd fall to your death (or recover) like if there was no water, only slower.

However, Knockback Distance remains the same.

If there was a stage partly in water (or with a raising/sinking Water Level), this would work great.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
.Platform Sharking would disappear, and I don't think that would be popular.
Platform sharking? That thing where they appear to cancel movement to stop on the platform mid-jump?
I don't see how that's needed when you can attack through a platform, if that's what I'm thinking of anyway.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Something I thought of.....what if pulling off a Power Shield acted like a small counter, by pushing the opponent back a ways in a short stun animation, instead of just avoiding damage? Or sent the attacker bouncing a little bit into the air from the backlash of the counter?
I always wanted to see perfect shielding have its own animation where the block character would have his shield only big enough to go around his hand, then use it to parry the incoming attack in the right spot and everything, that would look cool. But would take longer to implement in the game since it would need a unique animation for blocking most moves.

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice
Enhancing specials by 'smashing' the stick(Fox's laser would be more powerful and faster).

Another idea i had in mind is a light and heavy shield. a light shield has almost no starting and ending lag, and you have more options out of it. But the light shield only protects a part of your body, except the head. And the heavy shield is pretty much a normal shield with more startup.

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice
Get up specials sounds like a decent idea.

This thread is dead and that makes me sad.:glare:

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
I thought a unique idea, although not very probable in 1v1, would be for player to tech off of other players, say by chance in a 4 player match a smash attack throws you right into another player, instead of zooming past them to your death you could cancel your momentum by teching, then the person teched on would probably react similarly to a footstool. I think it would just be fun I don't see why it's not in regardless of how useful it is

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
what has really annoyed me in past games is when people grab the edge so you cant.

i would like to see a mechanic that would allow you to grab the person who is grabbing the ledge.

in teams, this could extend the ledge to help save a falling teammate,

1v1: the recovering person has a change to pull the person off the ledge, while at the same time the edgegaurder has a change to shake the recoverer off the ledge. damage would indicate which event happens e.i if recoverer has more damage, less change of pulling edgeguarder off ledge.
weight would also be involved. like dk hanging off of of olimar would most likely pull olimar off the ledge. where as lighter characters can climb up faster. same weight, could go either way.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
what has really annoyed me in past games is when people grab the edge so you cant.

i would like to see a mechanic that would allow you to grab the person who is grabbing the ledge.

in teams, this could extend the ledge to help save a falling teammate,

1v1: the recovering person has a change to pull the person off the ledge, while at the same time the edgegaurder has a change to shake the recoverer off the ledge. damage would indicate which event happens e.i if recoverer has more damage, less change of pulling edgeguarder off ledge.
weight would also be involved. like dk hanging off of of olimar would most likely pull olimar off the ledge. where as lighter characters can climb up faster. same weight, could go either way.
Very, very interesting. I wouldn't leave it chance though, just weight. In this way you compensate the usual bad recovery with opportunity. My only problem is that it could give lighter characters little reason to steal the edge, essentially making some already bad characters even worse.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Don't shoot me...

But I think controlled tripping would be neat. As in some sort of grapple attack that trips your opponent.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
1/grab breaking via two opponents grabbing at the same time thus instantly breaking a grab making escaping ic CG possible

2/for final smashes to require you charge them like smash attacks to activate the move

3/shields to reflect projectiles like in melee but only when you angle the shield to allow you to control the angle you send the projectile back (this is in brawl but impractical due to the way they bounce off shields)

4/i do like the idea of clinging to other opponnts when they are on the ledge and using weight but it should only decreease the amount of total time someone can stay clinging to the ledge

5/the ability to angle your airdodge like in melee but at the cost of your 2nd jump followed by being able to do reg brawl airdodges but it not allow you get the slide effect to wave dash(i dont have anything against wave dashing just that it is over empathized as a movement tool in melee so much so that its usually the prefered method to move around for most of the cast)

6/air grabs that follow with an automatic throw like how throws operated in subspace where you had to being holding a direction as you threw in order to get say a character to uthrow or else they would just throw forward

but if nothing else i'd want number 1 grab breaking or grab parrying just so that grabbing doesnt become such a powerful tool as it is already in brawl

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
Don't shoot me...

But I think controlled tripping would be neat. As in some sort of grapple attack that trips your opponent.
Some moves already have a chance to trip at low percents.

I want to be able to map short hop to X. I can never shorthop mid fight because nerves/focusing on other things

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me, or are most of these points just excuses to not have to play as well or work as hard?

Things I don't like so far:
short hop mapped to a button (if it is mapped to...lets say...X on a GCC, then those who short hop and full hop with Y are boned)
elemental ailments: why do we need these?
getting rid of edgehogging: Isai once said "Don't get hit." Follow that and edgehogging never effects your performance. Really though...you must recover XD
removing L-cancelling: L-cancelling adds a level of interaction to the game that is really rewarding. To give the short version.
removing wavedashing: Of all the techs to complain about, this is one of the worst to complain about. It is not THAT useful; it is mostly a movement tool.

Things I would like to add/remove:
I like the idea of powershielding having hitstun on a physical move, and I think it should reflect projectiles.
I would like the return of dash dancing from Melee. It hides movement.
I would like to remove the ability to do moves out of Up-B.
I would like to remove the ability to grab the ledge facing the wrong way (for most of the cast).
I would like to remove crouch cancelling, because why should I be punished for hitting you?
I would like to see a more balanced cast (so no more Fox only Final Destination, or characters that may be banned from tournaments).

As you could probably tell, I am a Melee player. I like watching high-level Brawl sometimes, and I could not be good at it. There are some mechanics that I just do not like from Brawl, and some mechanics in Melee.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
how bout getting combos charges a meter that when full, you can initiate the final smash, but you have to use it quick, cuz it wont stay for long.

grizby2

Smash Lord
how bout getting combos charges a meter that when full, you can initiate the final smash, but you have to use it quick, cuz it wont stay for long.
that would favor quick-hitting characters waaaay too much. and its not like activating a final smash takes a horribly long button sequence, you'd just press B when you know you're gonna get it :ohwell:.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
then each character has a different meter.
also staleness can factor in so if you continually do auto jab aganst a wall, it wont build up.

and it decreases over time with out any hits getting in. also powershielding will build it up

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Frankly if the final smashes are as unbalanced as Brawl's NO. And even if they don't end up like that it's a bad idea, HEY I KNOW WHAT WOULD MAKE OUR FINAL SMASH IDEA UNIQUE? RIPPING OFF OTHER FIGHTING GAME'S IDEAS OF METERS FOR SUPERS! How original! I know!

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Not exactly a mechanic, but does Melee Ganondorf count? :p
Well at the risk of derailing this thread... What? Is it impossible for them to expand on Brawl Ganondorf's moveset without making him as slow and whatever as brawl-dorf? -_-

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf's moveset needs to be scrapped entirely and replaced with something unique and badass, with an emphasis on sorcery. The purple aura could form the visual basis for his moves just fine - but he deserves more than clone status. After his horrifying Brawl outing, the time is right, IMO. One of his moves could even be a sword move of sorts, like he forms a sword out of purple vapor, strikes with it, then lets it dissipate. I don't think he should have a sword-based moveset, he should have a focus on magic.

But that's neither here nor there.

I love the idea of tag-team mode, but I can't help but imagine that everyone would just choose Captain Falcon for that sweet, sweet finisher. To encourage variation, maybe you can only tag out while you're on the ground. The "character cycling" mechanic between stocks also sounds like a sweet, sweet idea. I'd like both of these implemented in Special Battles.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Ganondorf's moveset needs to be scrapped entirely and replaced with something unique and badass, with an emphasis on sorcery. The purple aura could form the visual basis for his moves just fine - but he deserves more than clone status. After his horrifying Brawl outing, the time is right, IMO. One of his moves could even be a sword move of sorts, like he forms a sword out of purple vapor, strikes with it, then lets it dissipate. I don't think he should have a sword-based moveset, he should have a focus on magic.

But that's neither here nor there.

I love the idea of tag-team mode, but I can't help but imagine that everyone would just choose Captain Falcon for that sweet, sweet finisher. To encourage variation, maybe you can only tag out while you're on the ground. The "character cycling" mechanic between stocks also sounds like a sweet, sweet idea. I'd like both of these implemented in Special Battles.
Sure... As long as he keeps Flame Choke :D

mimgrim

Smash Hero

Yes... No. You don't just change a chacter who has been in 2 Smash game moveset like that. The slowing down of him from Melee was bad enough as is, enough to send him from mid tier to the least viable character in the game. But what about the players who are comfortable with what his current playstyle and the like? If you want to unclone him only change Specials, which don't have a major affect on his playstyle, aside from Up Special. This is something people totally disregard when saying about uncloning Ganondorf. ._.

But sheesh it is funny how something said as a joke gets taken so seriously. :/

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
Yes... No. You don't just change a chacter who has been in 2 Smash game moveset like that. The slowing down of him from Melee was bad enough as is, enough to send him from mid tier to the least viable character in the game. But what about the players who are comfortable with what his current playstyle and the like? If you want to unclone him only change Specials, which don't have a major affect on his playstyle, aside from Up Special. This is something people totally disregard when saying about uncloning Ganondorf. ._.

But sheesh it is funny how something said as a joke gets taken so seriously. :/
Bowser's getting an overhaul. :p

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
So far as we know he has a single move change and his stance has changed, and perhaps a bit faster. Doubt it is going to affect his playstyle that much.
From memory I believe we have seen at least 3 move changes, (A dash attack a forward smash and an aerial) and also increased speed. Bowser's changes will make him more or less change his style from slow hulking brute to just... Brute XD

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see the possibility to cancel a charging smash attack. That would lead to some interesting mindgames opportunities.

D

Deleted member

Air Dashes would be a nice change from the Air Dodge, or even an adaptation.

Rapid Cancels, Jump Cancels and Dash Cancels.

And... I'd say better flow with moves so they combo better, ergo, cancellable moves.

Hm... Oh, and some characters with Aerial Smash attacks would be neat (Ridley).

Adding a 3rd attack button seems like a bad idea at this point to me... Instead, just have two jump buttons, one for SH and one for normal jump I guess.

Varg Foad

Smash Cadet
Blocking and grabbing in the air would make aerials battles more intense. I used to dream about a stage which would be an eternal fall without platforms, so you can only hit with specials and aerials.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
A tactical move for each character that can only be used once per match. (or maybe once per stock)

Varg Foad

Smash Cadet
When the character is grabing a ledge, pressing A make him attack while getting on stage. Why pressing Z doesn't make him grab in the same way ? It could punish players who just wait near the edge while blocking.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Shield parrying

Basically, when two people shield at the same time, they go into a mini-clash, and whoever wins will deal damage equal to what they've parried with. This does mean that if the winner used a shield, there's no damage dealt. Basically it's useless in combat, because you can only shield parry with shields.

Air taunts

Taunt in the air. Yeah, there's no actual effect to it, it's just for funzies (not to be confused with Fonzie).

Footstool taunt

Instead of bouncing off a player, if you hit the taunt button at the right time, it will perform a special taunt that just acts like a regular footstool jump. Like, if Luigi would footstool taunt, he would tap dance on top of his opponent's head briefly. Great for bonus mode if it's returning, but not really useful otherwise.

Taunt clash

When two people taunt in close proximity at the same time, they will enter a taunt battle. They just do the same taunts they would do, except they do it at the same time. It doesn't even give bonus points for bonus mode, so I don't even know why I mentioned this one.

Taunt taunting

Taunt while taunting. Useful if you didn't like the current taunt.

Booing

Like in real life, but this time it's in-game, so your friends won't know who did it. Useful if you want to express your distaste for your friend's scrub-like behavior and cheap moves.

Top Bottom