• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New mechanics you'd like to see. (No wavedashing and L cancelling discussion)

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I guess I should be less specific. I'd like Final Smashes to more difficult to perform, and better balanced, in order to make them tournement viable.

For instance:
If each was just a single move like Mario or Samus.
If they turned up on a condition, like all players are on 150%+
If they required time to activate, so players needed to choose their moment carefully

Thoughts?

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about universal, this is something I'd like to see be a unique attribute of a character, like Marina Liteyears. SHAKE SHAKE
Someone else knows about Mischief Makers?? Haha, I do agree with you on that one.

I had some really simple ideas for new mechanics that I've posted a couple times, but this is a better thread for that kind of thing.
My first idea was to give better hit properties to attacks in certain conditions. The two conditions could be either hitting an opponent while they're in the middle of an attack, or hitting an opponent while their back is turned to you.
The second idea I had was a tag team combo mechanic. I would guess that if you were playing a tag battle mode, you could press one of the taunt buttons to swap out(instantly?)for a character assigned to that taunt button. If done correctly, you could, for example, Z.S.Samus stun > Tag in C.Falcon > KNEE OF JUSTICE
My third idea is giving certain attacks undodgeable properties. We already have attacks like Lucario's side B and Bowser's side B that can be unblockable, so I was thinking that attacks like Marth's Up-B or Mario's Up-B could be undodgeable from the air.

That's all for now, I think.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I guess I should be less specific. I'd like Final Smashes to more difficult to perform, and better balanced, in order to make them tournement viable.

For instance:
If each was just a single move like Mario or Samus.
If they turned up on a condition, like all players are on 150%+
If they required time to activate, so players needed to choose their moment carefully

Thoughts?
It will never be accepted outside of friendlies and /novelty/ tournaments, just for "lulz" or a fundraiser. Have you even heard of wobbling? A singular free kill move will go way beyond that. Even if the Final Smash only showed up on ridiculous percentages, what is the point? The intensity and volatility of the match is already running high, and if it you acquire the Final Smash by Smash Ball, it will always be a random affair. Even if the point of the Final Smash was to reward a singular player for surviving so long or playing well, that would just be serving only to prevent the other player from an opportunity at come back and besides, the reward for surviving and playing well should not be little treats like a Final Smash but winning the match.

I am beginning to suspect you are ignorant of what a tournament is. In the case of Smash, it is more than not having enough controller ports for everyone who wants to play smash. People play in tournaments because they want to prove they are skilled. Competitive players don't care for anything that would change the outcome of the game that doesn't involve a player's skill. This is the very reason why Brawl is not taken seriously at large.

At the end of the day, you're either going to make a move that is either:
  • not viable (such as taking too long to charge)
  • introduced randomly, forcing players to deal with things outside of their control
  • introduced with bias, putting the game too far in one player's favor
  • so good that it gets banned for being a single button WOMBO COMBO.
Z.S.Samus stun > Tag in C.Falcon > KNEE OF JUSTICE
That is the best justification I have seen for a tag-team mode so far. I am not a fan of tag team mode as a major way to play competitively though.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Melee's AT work perfectly fine and do not "look completely stupid". There is nothing difficult about any of the AT's to perform what so ever. Put in the work and you should have it down by an afternoon.

No they don't. And yes having characters randomly slide across the ground looks ****ing stupid. I can do a few of them pretty well it's not a problem for me just as an objective opinion on game design it's all a cluster****.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Let's see, I had a few of my own:

GENERAL:
-Chargeable aerials
-Two types of Airdodges, mapped to different shoulder buttons.
-Air grabs (that work on air dodges, to put an end to its scum :) )
-Platform dropping a'la PSASBR sounds good, but just that.
-Taunt switching (instead of Down+B for switcheable characters)
-Air switching (for all switcheable characters, including Samus and Pokemon Trainer)
-Instead of a horrible swimming mechanic for water, I prefer an infinite double-jump mechanic in low-gravity.
-Melee Tethering, executed as easily as in brawl (no dodge+Z, why not just plain Z?)
-A party system, like in SSE. You select up to 3 characters, and they'll switch out everytime you're KOd.

CHARACTER SPECIFIC:
-Samus: Needs air-charging.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I am beginning to suspect you are ignorant of what a tournament is.
Simmer down, homie. We don't wanna start flame-slinging, now. I'm well aware of the purpose of a tournament.

Perhaps I should be even less specific. Most fighting games utilise super-moves. I would like Final Smashes to be balanced, useful, and require skill to the point that they could be used in tournaments. Obviously, there's no logical reason this couldn't happen. Do you have any suggestions about how super-moves could be correctly implemented in Smash Bros.?

Vkrm

Smash Lord
No they don't. And yes having characters randomly slide across the ground looks ****ing stupid. I can do a few of them pretty well it's not a problem for me just as an objective opinion on game design it's all a cluster****.
There's no reason to debate about how it looks, it positively impacts the metagame. All this commotion over WD but nobody says **** about Dacus.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Ahaha, I thought the OP said no discussing wave dashing. I am glad we went longer than I thought we would without it getting brought up.

I'd like to see a mechanic where a character's recovery let them grip on to the stage and crawl around it, especially on the underside, but doing so for too long would put the character in special fall. For more information on what I am talking about, look at squirrels.

Evil-Guy

Smash Journeyman
They should have mechanisms that make it so that there are new changes every time, when compared to other video games such as brawl, where a what was a rock is now not and is a ever changing in fluid motion that is dependent, to and maybe, on the triggers of such that would cause the mechanism to activate...
I think they should add new poses and the interaction with the environment and how the environment changes them! Like Olimar! :bee: That is a mechanism....right?????

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
They should have mechanisms that make it so that there are new changes every time, when compared to other video games such as brawl, where a what was a rock is now not and is a ever changing in fluid motion that is dependent, to and maybe, on the triggers of such that would cause the mechanism to activate...
I think they should add new poses and the interaction with the environment and how the environment changes them! Like Olimar! :bee: That is a mechanism....right?????
Do you mean a stage evolves, and is even different between matches? You may have to elaborate further...

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
There's no reason to debate about how it looks, it positively impacts the metagame. All this commotion over WD but nobody says **** about Dacus.
Wavedash is more well known and as an intentional mechanic making it look good is key.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Underwater and aerial battles. Underwater battles would consist of increased jump height, lowered gravity, reduced knockback, lessened speed, and the ability to jump indefinitely. Aerial battles would feature the inability to use grounded moves or perform ground actions, and take away jumps. Vertical positioning would be based on how strongly the joystick is held down. Maybe that sounds stupid, I dunno. I think that sort of thing could work somehow.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
4th Taunt, Wavedashing so the Melee elitists shut up, unique attacks for when you're teetering on the edge (My idea is Villager's bowling ball may be this, even though it's probably just a DSmash), sour/sweetspots on hurtboxes (HEADSHOT!), Fsmashes out of dash.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
...aerial battles... Vertical positioning would be based on how strongly the joystick is held down.
You mean like controlling your relative fall speed while falling? That sounds pretty fun, actually. If that is the case I'd like to see the characters fall out of the sky for several minutes and you can see that they are gradually moving closer to the Earth. They could begin at the Karman line, burn through atmospheric entry, pass through clouds and meteors and eventually splat on the ground.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has been said already:
Air Dashes
Rolls getting replaced with back dash
Aerial Smashes
Swimming underwater, maybe?
Attacks with hit boxes far in the z axis that can hit people out of dodges/techs in exchange for really low priority
Shield can be easily aimed via c-stick
Universal wall jump
Final Smashes made more like traditional supers

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
You mean like controlling your relative fall speed while falling? That sounds pretty fun, actually. If that is the case I'd like to see the characters fall out of the sky for several minutes and you can see that they are gradually moving closer to the Earth. They could begin at the Karman line, burn through atmospheric entry, pass through clouds and meteors and eventually splat on the ground.
Yeah. Some aspects of the game would have to be adjusted of course. Freefall would probably be removed (or maybe just wear off after a certain amount of time/when hit), but it'd be interesting to see a battle consisting of entirely aerial actions.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Yeah. Some aspects of the game would have to be adjusted of course. Freefall would probably be removed (or maybe just wear off after a certain amount of time/when hit), but it'd be interesting to see a battle consisting of entirely aerial actions.
Haha, yeah, a character in freefall the whole time wouldn't be fun at all.

Senario

Smash Ace
Lets see, lower landing lag across the board without the need to press the button (I prefer to press the button but if it really bothers people this change would be good), One airdoge that isn't directional per time in the air (as in you have to touch the ground between air dodges). Grabbing somebody while they are in mid air assuming you are in range/facing the right way. (excption being link and Samus who should have the side of the stage grab with their hookshot type grab instead).

That is about it...other than removing a whole bunch of stuff in brawl such as low hitstun, unlimited amounts of airdodges, floatyness, certain characters being able to chain grab instead of the whole cast (almost the whole cast anyway.). Ect ect.

See? Not about wavedashing or implementing L canceling again :p.

TreK

Is "that guy"
^ I think you just broke the thread.
No cookies for you today.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Elemental effects:
-Burning/flame effect causes you to take 1% damage every half second or so
From things like: PK Fire, bomb detonations, Falcon Punch, Din's Fire, Flare Blade

-Freezing/cold effect slows down your movement speeds and increases attack lag
From things like: FLUDD, Surf, Blizzard, Ice Climber ice pieces

-Dark/poison/curse causes you to take more damage from incoming attacks
From things like: Wizard Kick, Wario fart, Luigi final smash, Mewtwo's glowing attacks

-Lightning/shock effects that have a lot of hitstun
From things like: PK Thunder, Lightning Jolt, Screw Attack

-Wind effect that increases character floatiness and makes jumps higher
From things like: Gale boomerang, Phantasm, Reflect

-Earth/heavy effect that deals lots of shield damage and shield stun, and increases dizzy time of the enemy if used to break a shield
From things like: DK Headbutt, Rock Smash, Pound, Ike forward smash

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
What about character elementals?Like if Mario has fire attacks and fire stickers enhance his abilities. Here's what I've got so far:

Aura Type: Lucario
Dark Type: Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Wolf, White Pikmin
Electric Type: Pikachu, Samus, Yellow Pikmin
Flame Type: Mario, Bowser, Fox, Captain Falcon, Roy, Charizard, Red Pikmin
Freezing Type: Ice Climbers
Grass Type: Ivysaur, Villager
Paralyze Type: Zero Suit Samus, Dr. Mario
Slash Type: Link, Marth, Ike, Meta Knight, Pit, Toon Link, Young Link, Sheik
Water Type: Squirtle, Blue Pikmin
Energy Type: Falco, R.O.B., Luigi, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer
Magic Type: Peach, Zelda, Jigglypuff
Explosion Type: Snake, Diddy Kong
PK Type: Ness, Lucas
Bite Type: Kirby, Wario, King Dedede, Purple Pikmin
Spin Type: Sonic

Olimar's type depends on his Pikmin, as they get enchanced instead. I'd also enjoy it if Mario and/or Luigi's footstool jumps did damage in homage to their roots :)

grizby2

Smash Lord
to prevent players from grabbing the ledge simply because the opponenet grabbed it themselves for an un-honorable kill, make it so we can grab the legs of those who are grabbing the ledge! :awesome:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
An armor/defense system. Each character would have their own flinch and launch threshold, affected by the knockback and/or damage of the opponent's attack. Bowser would have complete super armor against Meta Knight's jab, whereas Ganondorf's jab would send Jigglypuff flying a bit.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Elemental effects:
From things like: PK Fire, bomb detonations, Falcon Punch, Din's Fire, Flare Blade

-Poison/curse causes you to take more damage from incoming attacks
From things like: Wizard Kick, Wario fart, Luigi final smash, Mewtwo's glowing attacks

-Earth/heavy effect that deals heavy shield damage and shield stun
I actually like the idea of status effects for Smash.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Elemental effects:

I like these, but I'd switch the effects of flames and the effects of poison. Poison, after all, is the essence of something dealing DOT, while burns make the flesh very tender and vulnerable. And personally, I would get rid of the wind status effect,since it doesn't really make much sense, and moves with wind are already pretty unique.

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice
Push blocking, i guess. press a button when in shield and sends the opponent away from you. costs about 20% though.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Elemental effects:

Olimar would be so OP with all of this, aside from the Wind Effect. xD He would be da bestes alimite giver due to all his Pikmin. lol

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Olimar would be so OP with all of this, aside from the Wind Effect. xD He would be da bestes alimite giver due to all his Pikmin. lol
Being able to inflict any status at random is really not as great as knowing exactly what you will get and using that properly. Keep in mind that I want these things to last 3-5 seconds TOPS, there won't be any 30 second ailments or anything.

Some won't be status effects, per se, but just elemental effects, like Rock Smash and DK's head smash dealing unusual amounts of shield damage. And lightning does greater hitstun than an attack of that strength normally would, without applying a buff or debuff.

Wind would be the really unique one, allowing you to (as Link) change your own aerial characteristics, which would help with the recovery issue. Wind effects should be applied to anybody in the area, such as: boomerang applies it to the enemy if it hits them, and applies it to Link and people near him when he catches it. G&W sort of has what I am looking for in his up-aerial. Phantasm would apply the floatiness/boosted jump to Fox/Falco when they use it, and apply it to enemies when they are struck. Mewtwo's Reflect wind effect will only affect enemies. You can use Wind to make enemies fly further and die earlier by following up with a finisher. Long list, but this is what I had in mind.

I like these, but I'd switch the effects of flames and the effects of poison. Poison, after all, is the essence of something dealing DOT, while burns make the flesh very tender and vulnerable. And personally, I would get rid of the wind status effect,since it doesn't really make much sense, and moves with wind are already pretty unique.
I beg to differ, as I see fire/burning as the quintessential DOT effect. Igniting an enemy with a flame move and a bomb explosion seems like the best concept for dealing DOT, to me. Poison/curse/dark for amplifying damage makes sense, since the primary user of that effect will be Ganon (purple aura attacks) and Mewtwo (purple aura attacks). Lucario might have a weaker version of this effect or a unique aura effect due to the nature of his moves. Maybe even a weakened version of the burning effect.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Being able to inflict any status at random is really not as great as knowing exactly what you will get and using that properly. Keep in mind that I want these things to last 3-5 seconds TOPS, there won't be any 30 second ailments or anything.

Some won't be status effects, per se, but just elemental effects, like Rock Smash and DK's head smash dealing unusual amounts of shield damage. And lightning does greater hitstun than an attack of that strength normally would, without applying a buff or debuff.
Even so, lasting 3-5 seconds would still give Olimar quite a bit of power. The Fire and Posion effects will allow Olimar to rack damage even faster then he does, heck the Water and Lighting effect van be used for this. Olimar could just throw a blue Pikmin onto them to slow them down for a couple of seconds. Olimar could throw a yellow Pikmin and stun them with that throw to get in and attack easier. And purple would allow him to get through shields faster. But still even if he gets the Pikmin randomly, the fact that he would have access to so many different elements would amek element affects OP for him. o.o

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Even so, lasting 3-5 seconds would still give Olimar quite a bit of power. The Fire and Posion effects will allow Olimar to rack damage even faster then he does, heck the Water and Lighting effect van be used for this. Olimar could just throw a blue Pikmin onto them to slow them down for a couple of seconds. Olimar could throw a yellow Pikmin and stun them with that throw to get in and attack easier. And purple would allow him to get through shields faster. But still even if he gets the Pikmin randomly, the fact that he would have access to so many different elements would amek element affects OP for him. o.o
It would be simple to just nerf his damage and launch power and other attack properties to compensate for his access to most of the elements.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I love the idea of tag team mode and multi character stock matches.
Please Sakurai, make it happen.

Top Bottom