• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I posted this over in the Isaac thread but I imagine it might also be appreciated here. Some of my wild ramblings.
Hmm… Do you think people would react well to that? We'd be having to pay full price for that extra character in the pass which would still be somewhat similar to the other DLC character...

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
We never brought it up but there are in fact more than 15 characters on this thing Nintendo teased could be the Arms rep you know. That one more being on the top left? We have to consider every possibility here. That said, yes, Biff's not amongst the 15 listed below him but if Sakurai has proven anything, he knows how to trick the Smash community sometimes. With that said, man I hope I'm wrong about this one lol

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
We never brought it up but there are in fact more than 15 characters on this thing Nintendo teased could be the Arms rep you know. That one more being on the top left?

We have to consider every possibility here. That said, yes, Biff's not amongst the 15 down below him but if Sakurai has proven anything, he knows how to trick the Smash community sometimes. With that said, man I hope I'm wrong about this one lol
Ahhh yes, all the people who would pay $5.99 for the one character they are least likely to recognize from ARMS, and the character that would least represent the home series. Maybe if we already had 3 other ARMS reps, but as-is, Biff's chances are 0%.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We never brought it up but there are in fact more than 15 characters on this thing Nintendo teased could be the Arms rep you know. That one more being on the top left?

We have to consider every possibility here. That said, yes, Biff's not amongst the 15 down below him but if Sakurai has proven anything, he knows how to trick the Smash community sometimes. With that said, man I hope I'm wrong about this one lol
There's a reason he's in the poll at the top.

Speaking of, surprised that Ribbon Girl only got two votes. Her thread's even quieter than the others https://smashboards.com/threads/star-of-the-stage-ribbon-girl-support-thread.503165/

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Hmm… Do you think people would react well to that? We'd be having to pay full price for that extra character in the pass which would still be somewhat similar to the other DLC character...
I doubt they'd react that well.....but at the same time it doesn't feel like it would be the first time something happened that Smash fans (or gaming fans in general) didn't like.

I mean I think people would react better to two Arms characters in this DLC pass than how people reacted to Sword and Shield's Dexit. I feel like that kind of sets the bar for fan outrage at the moment. (at least in terms of Nintendo)

We never brought it up but there are in fact more than 15 characters on this thing Nintendo teased could be the Arms rep you know. That one more being on the top left? We have to consider every possibility here. That said, yes, Biff's not amongst the 15 listed below him but if Sakurai has proven anything, he knows how to trick the Smash community sometimes. With that said, man I hope I'm wrong about this one lol

Does Biff even have the ability to stretch his arms to fight? I know Sakurai can make characters do whatever he wants when it comes to Smash Bros....but I think it would be awfully strange for him to pass up on all these characters who can actually use the "Arms" ability for a character that we don't even know if they're capable of it.

What "is" Biff anyway? Is he some kind of robot?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I doubt they'd react that well.....but at the same time it doesn't feel like it would be the first time something happened that Smash fans (or gaming fans in general) didn't like.

I mean I think people would react better to two Arms characters in this DLC pass than how people reacted to Sword and Shield's Dexit. I feel like that kind of sets the bar for fan outrage at the moment. (at least in terms of Nintendo)

Does Biff even have the ability to stretch his arms to fight? I know Sakurai can make characters do whatever he wants when it comes to Smash Bros....but I think it would be awfully strange for him to pass up on all these characters who can actually use the "Arms" ability for a character that we don't even know if they're capable of it.

What "is" Biff anyway? Is he some kind of robot?
Well on his model Biff does have spirals on his arms and in his eyes so that's a strong indication that he does. As for what he is, nobody knows.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
So, here's a fun question: Which move from an ARMS character do we think will have the least range? Obviously part of the fun of an ARMS characters is their, well, arms, and because of those we're all having fun imagining Fsmashes, tilts, aerials, and grabs from across the stage, but what moves won't have crazy range? Jab? Nair? Will all moves have above average range?
Depends on the character they choose. If it's Min Min (which I think is most likely) her kicks will obviously have a smaller range. Back/forward aerial could mimic her air kick while up tilt and up air would probably be the most natural fit for her ground kick.

But screw short ranged moves, what move do you think will have the biggest range? I can easily imagine a guided, chargeable neutral special that has an insane reach when fully charged. Imagine standing on the ledge and just bopping all those recoveries with annoying angles. How about a Palutena-esque up smash where instead of a light pillar it's an uppercut with a sweetspot at the top? And when thinking of down tilt, Dhalsim's low double punch immediately springs to mind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, here's a different topic that hasn't been brought up yet...

Once we get the ARMS fighter, do you think that the spirit battles' tracks will be replaced with actual music from ARMS?

The only reason why I'm hesitant to consider him a shoo-in is that he's not known to speak in the third person.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Once we get the ARMS fighter, do you think that the spirit battles' tracks will be replaced with actual music from ARMS?

The only reason why I'm hesitant to consider him a shoo-in is that he's not known to speak in the third person.
I hope so because the ARMS music is amazing.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Was super excited when this got announced. 2nd most hype DLC character after Byleth IMO. Nintendo is on a roll with these last 2 DLC characters.

Who I want: Twintelle, Dr. Coyle, or Master Mummy (he was my main in ARMS when I played it)

Who I think it will be: A new ARMS character for a sequel or a big expansion update OR Spring-Man & Ribbon Girl as an alt.

From a 1st party character perspective this game had seen the best set of newcomers since Brawl IMO. We're getting a good blend of classic Nintendo characters (King K.Rool, Wolf, Ridley, Daisy, Dark Samus) as well as new school Nintendo characters (Byleth, Inkling, Incineroar, Chrom, Isabelle, and now an ARMS rep). THIS is what I like about Smash Bros. seeing all eras of Nintendo IP coming together. Where as Smash 4 felt very 80% new characters and 20% classic characters.

I hope ARMS character isnt the last first party DLC character and we get maybe 2 more.
I Also want Dr. Coyle as well;

and I Still want Geno!!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of music though, do you think we're going to get any new remixes?

I'm thinking that the main theme will get a remix, the character's theme will be remixed and there'll be a new medley of ARMS themes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Depends on the character they choose. If it's Min Min (which I think is most likely) her kicks will obviously have a smaller range. Back/forward aerial could mimic her air kick while up tilt and up air would probably be the most natural fit for her ground kick.

But screw short ranged moves, what move do you think will have the biggest range? I can easily imagine a guided, chargeable neutral special that has an insane reach when fully charged. Imagine standing on the ledge and just bopping all those recoveries with annoying angles. How about a Palutena-esque up smash where instead of a light pillar it's an uppercut with a sweetspot at the top? And when thinking of down tilt, Dhalsim's low double punch immediately springs to mind.
The Dragon arms are the ones that primarily work best at range, due to firing a beam that always lasts the same amount of time.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

I'm thinking that the main theme will get a remix, the character's theme will be remixed and there'll be a new medley of ARMS themes.
How many more times can you remix the ARMS theme though? Considering every characters theme in ARMS is a version of the ARMS theme. ARMS theme will end up having more remixes/renditions than Jungle Hijinx. Lol I'll be perfectly fine with 1 remix and the rest be MP3 dumps.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

How about a remix, medley, and the rest are 1:1? Yusuke Takahama and Masafumi Takada could do wonders with them I think.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
There's a reason he's in the poll at the top.
I thought it was just as a joke...

I'm thinking the music will be treated the same was as Three Houses.

One remix of the main theme, with the original also there as another song, while every other song they bring is 1:1.

And just like with Three Houses, I honestly wouldn't mind because the soundtrack is more than fine enough as is to be Smash-worthy.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Hey, guys. If ARMS' rep ends up being a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation, what do you think the character would be called? ARMS League? ARMS Champions? ARMS?
I’d expect the name just to be their respective names. A collective name made more sense for Hero as they are mostly just blank slates so a generic name wouldn’t really misrepresent the character.
So, here's a fun question: Which move from an ARMS character do we think will have the least range? Obviously part of the fun of an ARMS characters is their, well, arms, and because of those we're all having fun imagining Fsmashes, tilts, aerials, and grabs from across the stage, but what moves won't have crazy range? Jab? Nair? Will all moves have above average range?
I don’t really know aside from all the obvious down attacks, i actually struggle to imagine an arms character lacking range.
Alright, so I've been wondering if this is possible, and I figured if anyone can give some valuable input it's the people in this thread.

I know many are saying that the ARMS character could be several of them as alts, and there's been some pushback because many don't feel that the characters could be done justice, personality and gameplay-wise, with just alts. So that got me thinking... Could we get them not as alts, but as Echo Fighters?

I know many will dismiss the idea immediately, I get it, people aren't expecting Echo Fighters period, nevermind 3 for a single character, but try to get past that and see if the idea works. I believe that Sakurai always tries to go above and beyond, and I think what I came up with is a good way to represent the characters while still being very much doable.

So, the four characters are the ones you'd expect: Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara. I agree that they're the ones that make most sense, they're all the closest to each other proportions-wise, and while others like Kid Cobra and Lola Pop could also be done with the Echo format, I think more than 4 is too much, and Ninjara and Min Min are the popular ones. They have different voices and animations (which isn't new, Inkling and Byleth do it), while sharing attacks.

Spring Man is the "default", but it's kind of like the Belmonts where they're all Echoes of each other. For example, everyone has kicks. The differences, besides in the animations, comes in the fact that everyone keeps their unique mechanics. Spring Man has his arms autocharge at high percentages (say, over 100%), Ribbon Girl has 4 jumps (and maybe double airdash, but I think that's quite an advanced mechanic to introduce with an Echo), Min Min has her dragon arm mechanic (by charging or by grabs, and it goes away when hit with enough knockback or another status effect like stunning), Ninjara can teleport while dashing (giving him more movement, especially while airborne, and more invincibility frames).

If that seems like too much, I could see Spring Man going without his mechanic, as it steps a little bit on Terry's toes and keeps him from being the simple, easiest-to-get-into of the bunch. I could also see Min Min going without her mechanic because her kick is already present in all the characters - and it's fitting that the two "default" characters be the main character and the most popular.

If arm switching is a mechanic, and I could see it being one, then they could all have their three default types. The only one I can think of that would pose an issue is the Dragon, because it's pretty complex - maybe that could be replaced with a multi-shot for balancing reasons anyway, as the other 3 have one as well.

So, one character has Terry's mechanic, one has extra jumps, one has better dashes, and one can store charge for attacks. That, plus Chrom-level animation changes at most. Suddenly doesn't sound like quite that much, does it?

Well, I dunno. Let me know what you think, if it's plausible for us to get something like this come June, if it would explain all the mystery around the character, and if this level of representation for each character would make you happy.
This would definitely be the best way to represent the characters. The only problem I have with squishing the characters into alts is that while it could be theoretically possible for all the characters to collectively use Min Min’s kicks and all Ribbon Girls abilities, I don’t think the same can be said for Ninjara. It would be weird to see Springman disappear in a puff of smoke for instance. I personally don’t really see DLC echoes as something that’s too likely though they very well could happen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d expect the name just to be their respective names. A collective name made more sense for Hero as they are mostly just blank slates so a generic name wouldn’t really misrepresent the character.

I don’t really know aside from all the obvious down attacks, i actually struggle to imagine an arms character lacking range.
This would definitely be the best way to represent the characters. The only problem I have with squishing the characters into alts is that while it could be theoretically possible for all the characters to collectively use Min Min’s kicks and all Ribbon Girls abilities, I don’t think the same can be said for Ninjara. It would be weird to see Springman disappear in a puff of smoke for instance. I personally don’t really see DLC echoes as something that’s too likely though they very well could happen.
If I recall Sakurai said no echoes for Pass 1 in the November 1, 2018 direct. He didn’t say that for Pass 2, however, which makes me think it’s possible, but they’ll be bundled with their “base” as a sort of package deal. No echoes of base game or pass 1 characters, it seems

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If I recall Sakurai said no echoes for Pass 1 in the November 1, 2018 direct. He didn’t say that for Pass 2, however, which makes me think it’s possible, but they’ll be bundled with their “base” as a sort of package deal. No echoes of base game or pass 1 characters, it seems
Unless they're released separately from Pass 2... but the odds of that probably aren't really good.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Maybe. Issue is that if you don't have the DLC, you don't get the songs. So I'd expect they'd only do it for those who have FP6. It would be a nice touch for sure,

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, assuming for a moment that Spring Man is set aside simply because "the players can already fight him anyway", that theoretically gives leeway to the 15 remaining fighters, right?

That is assuming there's remotely enough dev time for that.

On the other hand, they still said nothing about the packs coming with anything other than the fighter themselves, a stage and music (spirits and Mii costumes are a given), so I'll assume we aren't getting any Echoes.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
It could work, I suppose it depends when this character was first worked on. New characters always take about half a year to develop which is why several are worked on at a time. I’d expect a clone to take at least 1 or 2 months to develop. If they started developing the character in say October which is 8 months from June this year then it’s plausible. I always thought they started developing the characters in December but after writing this post it could have plausibly been done in October.

Staarih

Smash Master
I’m hoping Party Crashes make a comeback in the west as well, apparently Japan is having one next weekend:

The outcomes of these could be very different today compared to when they first began rolling.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I posted this over in the Isaac thread but I imagine it might also be appreciated here. Some of my wild ramblings.
actually I find it more likely that the reason why it is taking longer is dued to the fact they started to work on the new season pass after the first one ended (while the first one was in the plan even before the release of the game, so they started to work on that before or immediately after game's release; in fact, between game release and the first fighter pack 4 months passed, and in the same way between Byleth and ARMS character 4 months will pass, day more day less) ; another reason can be a possible delay dued to covid-19

I don't like your idea (no offense, of course) because I think that many many people in the world would consider it a strong waste of a slot; moreover I can't see any reason to absolutely include 2 ARMS characters in a time; moreover they called the fp#6 an ARMS character: your reasoning is that they didn't say us who exactly fp#6 will be because... fp#7 is an ARMS character too! it's inconsistent: they were talking about fp#6, the discretion is about fp#6, it shouldn't have nothing to do with fp#7

I too consider a little weird the fact they said us the series this character is taken from. Why did they do it? it's like we needed to know the series and we needed to know they were still working on smash. But we already knew they are keep on working on smash! and we didn't need to know the series of the next character, not if revealed this way. In fact I'm sure I'm not the only one who highly disliked that announcement: it ruined the hype, a character should always be revealed with the right dose of hype. We didn't need an announcement thrown away like that.

So, only rational conclusion that comes to my mind is, like you did, thinking that this kind of reveal and its phrasing hide a surprise for us. I'm in the team of "Hero/Koopalings style of character"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It could work, I suppose it depends when this character was first worked on. New characters always take about half a year to develop which is why several are worked on at a time. I’d expect a clone to take at least 1 or 2 months to develop. If they started developing the character in say October which is 8 months from June this year then it’s plausible. I always thought they started developing the characters in December but after writing this post it could have plausibly been done in October.
When did that tweet about Sakurai working on a mystery fighter happen late last year? October, November or December? I think it was shortly before the Terry full presentation. That or it was around TGA time

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
When did that tweet about Sakurai working on a mystery fighter happen late last year? October, November or December? I think it was shortly before the Terry full presentation
If it was shortly before the terry presentation it would have been very early November or late October.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I found the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet
It was in November, I doubt it was referring to Byleth. And yes, the irony that Spring Man is the associated image

would this be enough time to package an Echo with the fighter?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I found the tweet
It was in November, I doubt it was referring to Byleth. And yes, the irony that Spring Man is the associated image

So if it takes about 6 months to make a new fighter...and it's been 4 months since that interview...then by the time June comes around, it'll have been 8 months. The extra 2 months seem like a good enough time frame to make an Echo for that character.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So if it takes about 6 months to make a new fighter...and it's been 4 months since that interview...then by the time June comes around, it'll have been 8 months. The extra 2 months seem like a good enough time frame to make an Echo for that character.
Or a delay caused by a certain pandemic?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I found the tweet

Well ironically enough I completely forgot this existed. And yes it probably would be. 6 months for the base fighter and the content they come with and 2 months for the echo.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
https://youtu.be/yCD7KpBVRFI
Anyone remember that leak before the game came out? This is essentially how I’d imagine Spring Stadium to look in smash. I’m not sure whether they intended for the trampolines that were moved back to actually be functional but it’s doubtful that they made them actually functional.

When it comes to the actual character, the model looks pretty good imo and the idle does convey how I’d expect Springman to move. Just a little less... stiff?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sakurai's latest column mentions that Sakurai's team was recommended to be working at home, and since moving development hardware isn't so easy, work on the DLC is effectively on pause, or at the very least considerably slowed down.

https://sourcegaming.info/2020/03/23/sakurai-on-covid/
They said they’d be downloadable in June right? If the base fighter is already done or at least has the hardest parts out of the way, most of the Echo’s work is cut out for them

GolisoPower

Smash Master
https://youtu.be/yCD7KpBVRFI
Anyone remember that leak before the game came out? This is essentially how I’d imagine Spring Stadium to look in smash. I’m not sure whether they intended for the trampolines that were moved back to actually be functional but it’s doubtful that they made them actually functional.

When it comes to the actual character, the model looks pretty good imo and the idle does convey how I’d expect Springman to move. Just a little less... stiff?
Oh yeah, I remember that! That guy had too much time on his hands! XD

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They said they’d be downloadable in June right? If the base fighter is already done or at least has the hardest parts out of the way, most of the Echo’s work is cut out for them
I think 8 months of work on that one character is reasonable if you assume they had to take a few weeks off due to the pandemic, which could potentially trim down that 8 months into somewhere between 5 and 7 months, depending on how much time off they had.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I’m hoping Party Crashes make a comeback in the west as well, apparently Japan is having one next weekend:

The outcomes of these could be very different today compared to when they first began rolling.
The US is also having one. You'll see it when you boot up the game.
Or a delay caused by a certain pandemic?
This is the most likely answer.

Top Bottom