• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Friend Finder Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
I really like this feature, I must say.

1st post too! Haha, what a nub.

I think a general lobby would be appreciated too.

Mac_Master92

Smash Rookie
Hmm seems to be acting up for me. When I first loaded it, it said I needed flash player 8. I have that installed. Now I reloaded it again and its saying "Now connecting you to the SWF friend finder service."

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
you need to click 'Update' on the bottom right corner.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I love it. Great job Kirby King! We lubs you!

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
If a general chat room is what you seek, may I suggest our long-standing chat room. ;) (Also accessible via your favorite IRC client.)
Heh, I JUST realised that as soon as I clicked post.

You know sometimes when you don't want it to be posted and try to click stop on your browser? Well, I done that. Straight after the page refreshed, I JUST realised I didn't need to go through that hassle and I could have just edited it. But I gave up and 20 hours later, I'm just posting a reply.

Whew.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I had an issue last night where when I closed the window without logging out first, it treated me as being logged in and wouldnt let me open the program anymore saying I was already logged in.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
How do you change the background & text colors? mine is white on light gray and nearly impossible to read on my macbook... i tried the preferences link but nothing happened...

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I had an issue last night where when I closed the window without logging out first, it treated me as being logged in and wouldnt let me open the program anymore saying I was already logged in.
This will happen if you quit the Friend Finder and the client doesn't properly communicate that to the server. The server will eventually notice that your connection has timed out (this should only take a few minutes) and you'll be able to reconnect. To avoid this problem, make sure you quit the Friend Finder by using the "quit" link at the bottom of the screen.

How do you change the background & text colors? mine is white on light gray and nearly impossible to read on my macbook... i tried the preferences link but nothing happened...
It sounds like you're still loading some of the files from the old Friend Finder. When you have the Friend Finder open, do a hard refresh (shift+ctrl+R, or shift+apple+R should do it). Everything should become much more elegant and readable.

People who are having connection issues: try to see what happens when you change the browser you're using, or the computer, if you can. Also make sure that outgoing connections are not being blocked by a firewall.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
um this is something aib does and i think its really useful..
when You open a chat with someone have their fcode pop up with the chat. Like chat someone and the next to the chat window has their fcode and everything.
oh and another idea is a button next to the chat window thatll been lets say Green. if you click it it will turn Orange. then on the other persons screen it turns yellow. if they see the yellow buttont hen it means your challenging them to a game. if they click the yellow both of your buttons turn red and both of you are set to away. that way you wont have to keep changing ur status instead the button colors indicate challenges and playing etc etc. this will only pop up with the chatbox when you chat someone

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
What about a Wii version, that specificly states that you are using the Wii browser, and dosn't use flash 8?
Wii support is unlikely for technical reasons, since the version of Flash that comes with the Wii doesn't support a certain function that the client requires. It would probably be possible with a full-featured Flash client (as opposed to this one, which is primarily written in JavaScript) but I don't have any plans to do that. Sorry.

um this is something aib does and i think its really useful..
when You open a chat with someone have their fcode pop up with the chat. Like chat someone and the next to the chat window has their fcode and everything.
oh and another idea is a button next to the chat window thatll been lets say Green. if you click it it will turn Orange. then on the other persons screen it turns yellow. if they see the yellow buttont hen it means your challenging them to a game. if they click the yellow both of your buttons turn red and both of you are set to away. that way you wont have to keep changing ur status instead the button colors indicate challenges and playing etc etc. this will only pop up with the chatbox when you chat someone
I think your concerns have already been met. You can send someone a challenge, which will open up a special chat box that shows friend codes beneath everyone's names. The only catch is that you'll only see another person's friend code after you have both accepted the challenge (you don't need to accept challenges you send out, obviously). The process is detailed in the FAQ, but basically you click on the userbox of the person you want to challenge, and then click "Send a challenge". In addition, whenever you accept a challenge (or someone accepts a challenge you have sent), your status is automatically switched to "Brawling," and your name is moved to that part of the userlist. If you've only been using private chats to send challenges, I could understand your confusion though. :)

Strange, only 2 people in it atm. Any reason?
It's a little later than you posted, but I see many more than two people on right now. Can you, or are you still only seeing two people? (If the latter, please send a bug report.)

M.K

Level 55
Hmm, yeah, I'm sure many more people are online, yet only 2 come up! Am I doing something wrong? All I did was click Friend Finder under the "Connect" tab!

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Hmm, yeah, I'm sure many more people are online, yet only 2 come up! Am I doing something wrong? All I did was click Friend Finder under the "Connect" tab!
That's really weird, and I'm not sure why that started happening. In any event, for some reason it seems the list of users who were already online was getting dropped somewhere between the server and the client (the server activity showed the information being sent, but when I watched the data the client was receiving, it never showed up). So that explains why no one was online when you might have connected, whenever you connected, and you only saw other people as they joined. (Since the scripts have barely changed since release, and everything seemed fine when it was released, can anyone clue me in as to when this might have started happening?)

In any event, I still can't figure out why the original bug was happening, but I came up with a workaround that should be entirely transparent and let you see everyone who's online. Thanks to you guys for bringing it to my attention.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Ya know what's funny? Whenever SWF gets something new, AiB guys rant and rave about how SWF is copying them, but I haven't seen anything about this there.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
That's really weird, and I'm not sure why that started happening. In any event, for some reason it seems the list of users who were already online was getting dropped somewhere between the server and the client (the server activity showed the information being sent, but when I watched the data the client was receiving, it never showed up). So that explains why no one was online when you might have connected, whenever you connected, and you only saw other people as they joined. (Since the scripts have barely changed since release, and everything seemed fine when it was released, can anyone clue me in as to when this might have started happening?)

In any event, I still can't figure out why the original bug was happening, but I came up with a workaround that should be entirely transparent and let you see everyone who's online. Thanks to you guys for bringing it to my attention.
It was back woring fine again around 11 last night. What ever you did worked.

M.K

Level 55

Thank you, it works very well now!

I have a few suggestions, however, that may be great to add in the future:

1. Would it be possible to make the tab on the "Start" Bar flash whenever you have a message/invite/challenge?

2. Can you add the Metal Gear Solid Victory Theme music whenever someone challenges you? I really like that :chuckle:

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Thank you, it works very well now!

I have a few suggestions, however, that may be great to add in the future:

1. Would it be possible to make the tab on the "Start" Bar flash whenever you have a message/invite/challenge?

2. Can you add the Metal Gear Solid Victory Theme music whenever someone challenges you? I really like that :chuckle:
1. That's not possible, not without creating a desktop version anyway. There's a user who's working on that, but I don't know when it might be ready.

2. It's a very outside possibility. There is a sound that plays when you get new messages, though, but I don't know if it's loud enough?

slay

Smash Rookie
hi all ,
guys i need help .....Everytime i start swf friend finder
it comes this message:Now connecting to the SWF Friend Finder service.
after 30secs :This is taking longer than it should. Make sure you have a working Internet connection, and that the Friend Finder service is currently running. You can also try reloading.

I have installed flash player 8 .
I use internet explorer 7.
Firewall off.

plz help me i want to brawl online...:crying:

newtech

Smash Rookie
Players games

I first loaded it, it said I needed flash player 8. I have that installed. Now I reloaded it again

M.K

Level 55
Kirby King, you have done a TON for this site, but would you consider adding just a BIT more depth to the signature "cut-off", I mean, look at my banner, it's just a fraction of an inch too big... and it looks dumb.
PLEASE consider it :D

Great job on the Friend Finder, anyways. It is so much easier to find people to play with now!

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
I know this will sound crazy, but I will say it anyway

You sure you want to read this?

What if, just maybe, you could make FF on WiiWare? or possibly even on A Wii Channel??

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
About the friend finder, I love it, but one thing that can be approved in my opinion is the volume level and sound preferences. If there are any I have yet to see them. Maybe for the next release, turn the sounds up in volume. Because in order to hear them I have to turn my volume WAY up. and I sometimes have something else running. so if someone signs off AIM its like a thousand times louder than friend finder I've noticed. So just the sound volume could be turned up just a bit =]

EDIT: One more suggestion, is that maybe when we get new chat messages to make the minimized window flash like the way AIM's does. That way we can listen to music while waiting for a challenge and not have to keep checking.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Wow, I LOVE the new friend finder. Its much easier to actually communicate with people you play against, and the overall format is more pleasing. Very nice work.

Equus

Smash Cadet
I just checked out the new friend finder and I'm really impressed! My biggest gripe with the last version was that when friend finder was on, it almost completely stopped the forums from loading. It's not nearly as bad now. ^_^

Just an FYI to some: If you have the Flashblock Add-On for Firefox, you have to disable it or the friend finder won't load.

Solid Rage94

Smash Cadet
This is weird i load it up and then it says
"Not logged in
You are not currently logged in to Smash Boards. Make sure you are logged in and try again."​

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The new friend finder is a f*cking work of art.

My hat is off to whoever put this puppy together.

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
I think it's awesome! It's pretty much impossible to get a Wi Fi match started without using a friend and finding one was always hard so this is awesome.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom