• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Deva vids, REJOICE!!!!!

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
Fun match! No critiques from me.

Edit: Actually, just one. You used your bow at point blank, twice. :psycho:

Legan

Smash Lord
Fun match! No critiques from me.

Edit: Actually, just one. You used your bow at point blank, twice. :psycho:
Him using the bow that close is justified because he was using the quickdraw technique. It can catch the opponent off guard and can lead into combos.

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
Him using the bow that close is justified because he was using the quickdraw technique. It can catch the opponent off guard and can lead into combos.
2:46
- He doesn't jump here and his distance is entirely too short to be using the bow.

3:48
- He shot in the wrong direction :chuckle: but it wasn't a quick draw and Marth was on top of him anyway, ending in a pretty ugly setup even if everything had gone to plan. Why shoot at that range when you could do any other attack with more damage or knockback?

3:53
- He short hops towards Marth, getting straight into his range before he can land with the shot. Close enough to be grabbed, even. Any aerial would have pushed Marth back and persisted enough to prevent the grab.

Maybe he didn't mean to and got sloppy, which is perfectly natural and there's no fault there (just need practice). But the bow, from my limited experience, is a pretty predictable attack. Not to say that it isn't immensely useful, just that, on its own, it doesn't have a particularly glorifying quality.

But, I tend to over analyze little things. He's very good and it was fun to watch.

D

Deleted member

deva i have a question for you, how do you absolutely destroy the top tier characters T_T

especially that old video of you playing that green MK, that was amazing lol

Deva

Smash Lord
deva i have a question for you, how do you absolutely destroy the top tier characters T_T

especially that old video of you playing that green MK, that was amazing lol
I don't really destroy them. It's more like barely win, sometimes with a stock lead if I'm lucky. It's just spacing and mindgaming setups really. As far as the metaknight, We were all just getting used to our characters since it was our first time playing. I was surprised how well he was able to pick him up since I'd never seen the guy before and I usually know anyone in the area that's any good. He just couldn't figure out MK's kill moves. He kept coming after me when he hit me up so I just kept dairing, lol. I guess he didn't realize that's how I got 2 of the 3 kills on him each match.

Hyrus said:
- He doesn't jump here and his distance is entirely too short to be using the bow.
First off, theses are just friendly matches at like 4 in the morning, lol. So we were just messing around. Nothing worth analizing. Also, you shouldn't always jump since Link's jump frames are slow and the arrow would have been way too slow in reaching the target in this situation. Also, the distance was prolly perfect. Not too far, yet close enough where he couldn't attack without jumping. I just hoped he would stay in he shield a sec longer.

Hyrus said:
- He shot in the wrong direction but it wasn't a quick draw and Marth was on top of him anyway, ending in a pretty ugly setup even if everything had gone to plan. Why shoot at that range when you could do any other attack with more damage or knockback?

Again, we were just messing around. I was ahead by a stock so I was just jumping around pulling bombs and arrow canceling lol.

Hyrus said:
- He short hops towards Marth, getting straight into his range before he can land with the shot. Close enough to be grabbed, even. Any aerial would have pushed Marth back and persisted enough to prevent the grab.

Maybe he didn't mean to and got sloppy, which is perfectly natural and there's no fault there (just need practice). But the bow, from my limited experience, is a pretty predictable attack. Not to say that it isn't immensely useful, just that, on its own, it doesn't have a particularly glorifying quality.

But, I tend to over analyze little things. He's very good and it was fun to watch.

Again, I didn't post this earlier but I've let you know now that this was just messing around at 4 in the morning. Regardless though, for future reference, unless a video says something along the lines of "Tournament match" or "money match," it usually isn't very serious and doesn't need critiquing. It's usually just a friendly match to show people a players general playstyle.

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
First off, theses are just friendly matches at like 4 in the morning, lol. So we were just messing around. Nothing worth analyzing.
That's an awful lot of words for something you summed up quite nicely in your first sentences.

Also, you shouldn't always jump since Link's jump frames are slow and the arrow would have been way too slow in reaching the target in this situation.
Very true, though I was trying to refute Legan's claim that you were canceling to justify the close shots. You did a nice dodge afterwards, though.

We want more videos! :)

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610

- He shot in the wrong direction :chuckle: but it wasn't a quick draw and Marth was on top of him anyway, ending in a pretty ugly setup even if everything had gone to plan. Why shoot at that range when you could do any other attack with more damage or knockback?

in a match not everything goes as planned. Mistakes and misjudgments happen.

your critique of his fight can mean 2 possible things:

you are so much more practiced and knowledgeable about the game. Your skill is so fine tuned that you do not make mistakes or misjudgments.

or

you aren't nearly as good as him so you over analyze him to make yourself seem like you aren't THAT far behind.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Can we lay off the personal attacks? Last time I checked, both Deva and Hyrus made clarifications-- both of which do not need further input, especially input that's designed to weakly aim towards a person instead of the substance.

Since when does a mere observation call for so much hostility and defensiveness, especially from parties not involved in the argument? Hyrus made it plain that his substance was aimed at refuting a point raised by Legan, and Deva noted that this video-- nor any future videos-- are asking for a critique unless otherwise specified, statements which leave no room for comments along the lines of "wtf are you saying, you think you're better than him? Well screw you!#%%^&@ , etc."

Anyways, on to the important stuff-- the video itself. Entertaining, Deva! The match had me anxious all over; Link just feels so god****ed slow and heavy, even when he's not heavy (WTF with Marth KO'ing you at ~90-100? To hell with top tier toons).

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
I swear to god, all links (pun) to youtube vids on this forum fail on my internets. It doesn't play.

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
Honestly playing a marth in a game like brawl is not that difficult, just projectile spam and smash a lot, his approach got nerfed to hell with the slowed down game and his decreased range. With projectile spam hardly being punishable because of the lack of combos, and before anyone says that there are combos keep the fact in mind that you can air dodge out of any tumbling animation, just projectile spam till they get close and you'll be cool. Unless you're playing someone who has better projectile game than you... then lose

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Huh...it's pretty neat how well link can counterattack when people attack him while he's on the ground. Especially from behind him. Because of that, I've noticed that the less one rolls with link, the better. Because:

a.) His roll's friggin' SLOW,

b.)He can more likely counterattack if he dodges, and

c.)You can hop back and throw your 'rang instead of trying to roll around your opponent. This isn't a bad idea, because you can jump out of your opponent's attack, and, even if you're near the ledge, you can hookshot the ledge and either quickly hop back on stage, or mess around and do some ledge mindgames, which link isn't half bad at.

Juuust a tip, i find dodging instead of rolling to work very well, even if you're in a tight spot. Overall, when your opponent attacks you and you must avoid it somehow, Link is better off being stationary.

Not saying my link is better than yours, Deva. But I have worked hard on him, and i'm just throwin out my suggestions. ;)

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Great video. The Marth might not be the best, but that might be because of your very good spacing. I'm watching over some of your other videos. I think this will greatly contribute into developing the Link game for many other players. I just now saw the possible use of DAC for Link.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
its Link players like this that give me hope for the guy it was a great use of so many of his moves and new AT's that i actually felt like playing and maining Link once more Deva and as usual your Link is pretty beastly i hope he can improve even more so i can see more vids like that

Chamiso

Smash Cadet
rejoice?
ill rejoice when i hear some competitive smashers without the cockiness attached.
Actually Deva seems to be one of the least cocky ones on these boards compared to most of the others I've seen granted I've not been all over these boards to see all the competitive smashers so I can't say just how many aren't but yeah I've seen several that are. Legan also seems not to be cocky.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
That was pretty entertaining, few things though. Props on the Utilts, the sliding attacks, the edgeguarding, and the dodges. Like, that was pretty impressive, but I think your d-air edgeguarding might get punished by a Ness/Lucas player since that attack has massive priority, however if Ness hits you, his things loses distance and he can die, I do that to my brother a lot, also you can hit his ball with projectiles. Another thing, you died from Marth with like 76% damage prior to being hit by f-smash. I am thinking that you are not air dodging IMMEDIATELY after being hit, that mitigates a lot of the knockback. My brother was doing that for the longest time, and now that I am also doing it, I tend to live for a REALLY long time. Nice air game, I really like the connects you got. At some point I will find a TV and I will post some of my vids, but your new one is pretty impressive.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Actually Deva seems to be one of the least cocky ones on these boards compared to most of the others I've seen granted I've not been all over these boards to see all the competitive smashers so I can't say just how many aren't but yeah I've seen several that are. Legan also seems not to be cocky.
cocky =/= bad

I will also tell you that I am not cocky in the least.

Deva

Smash Lord
That was pretty entertaining, few things though. Props on the Utilts, the sliding attacks, the edgeguarding, and the dodges. Like, that was pretty impressive, but I think your d-air edgeguarding might get punished by a Ness/Lucas player since that attack has massive priority, however if Ness hits you, his things loses distance and he can die, I do that to my brother a lot, also you can hit his ball with projectiles. Another thing, you died from Marth with like 76% damage prior to being hit by f-smash. I am thinking that you are not air dodging IMMEDIATELY after being hit, that mitigates a lot of the knockback. My brother was doing that for the longest time, and now that I am also doing it, I tend to live for a REALLY long time. Nice air game, I really like the connects you got. At some point I will find a TV and I will post some of my vids, but your new one is pretty impressive.
Well, pretty sure that was a Marth in the video, not a Ness or Lucas, lol. Even then though, if you space the dair properly, you should be fine. At worst, you'll bounce off his up-b with your dair, which will still slow his momentum according to you so you still get a free kill. Overall, the dair edge guard shouldn't be used against everyone. On another note, it's been proven that air dodging does absolutely nothing to help with surviving Koing attacks. That's because air dodging in this game doesn't affect moentum. If anything, you just need to DI properly. Press up right before Marth hits and you'll live a lot longer, that's been proven. It was really late and I wasn't paying attention so I ended up DIng with the tipper lol, XD. Otherwise it wouldn't have killed me at that percent. If anything though, attacks like Pika's dair that move the character in a direction may actually help with survival at certain percents like if Pika was about to die off the top. Thanks for the input though.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
On another note, it's been proven that air dodging does absolutely nothing to help with surviving Koing attacks. That's because air dodging in this game doesn't affect moentum. If anything, you just need to DI properly. Press up right before Marth hits and you'll live a lot longer, that's been proven.
Well, perhaps I am also holding the control stick down, thus making me survive longer. However, I am not sure if the airdodge does not affect momentum, but I will try the other way. I wonder if it works like ledgeteching does in melee.

Deva

Smash Lord
Against the tipper, holding down is pretty much the worst possible DI. The correct DI would be straight up and a little towards Marth. The air dodge doesn't affect momentum or else we could still wave dash. All it does is get you out of the tumble animation which gives you a little more float on the way back to the stage. Still, wiggle canceling is faster anyways. You can go ahead and still do it though, it woudn't hurt anything. I still do it by habit since when the game came out everyone thought it did make you live longer, until it was proven otherwise. I'm a little confused on how ledge teching refers to this. Perhaps you can elaborate for me. You could smash DI into the ledge for a tech in melee, though, as far as I'm concerned, Smash DI doesn't exist in this game, just really good normal DI, maybe better than the smash DI in melee.

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Aurashade said:
I will also tell you that I am not cocky in the least.
But then ...
Aurashade said:
Also Deva, ****ing put me up as a teacher I can obliterate every ****ing student you have, you know I'm one of the best. In all seriousness.
Consider your hash settled.

Also Deva, did you make your own sig or did someone else do it? If you did, how'd you get Link's tunic blue (I'm a novice in Photoshop -- Color Balancing was a mess).

... Oh right this is a video thread. Er ... good work! It's always good when I see a new trick or two to add to my repertoire.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
But then ...
Consider your hash settled.

Also Deva, did you make your own sig or did someone else do it? If you did, how'd you get Link's tunic blue (I'm a novice in Photoshop -- Color Balancing was a mess).

... Oh right this is a video thread. Er ... good work! It's always good when I see a new trick or two to add to my repertoire.
Learn sarcasm.

Top Bottom