• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
something something Miku desu YO.

anyway, I was actually thinking of buying Golden Sun off the Eshop to get a handle on what Isaac's all about.

chipz

Smash Apprentice
I thought pichu would be higher since its literally the only melee character missing in action (in a game with melee in its title).

people really wanted ridley in smash4 so im not surprised he gets so many votes

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I thought pichu would be higher since its literally the only melee character missing in action (in a game with melee in its title).

The "M" stopped standing for Melee a while ago.
Also pichu is useless and the roster slots don't need to be taken up by more poke-clones (that is if the dantarion finding a way to bypass the 7 slot limit thing is true).

Last edited:

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Also pichu is useless and the roster slots don't need to be taken up by more poke-clones (that is if the dantarion finding a way to bypass the 7 slot limit thing is true).
Just imagine if all of us could make our own potential characters...if he DOES manage to find a way beyond the 7 slot limit....

chipz

Smash Apprentice
implying that they wouldn't make him not useless?
which other poke clones are you referring to? they're all very different thus far

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
But what about Youn... Oh right! :4tlink:
Haha, I think I'm the only person on these boards that wants both Young Link and Pichu to come back. I'm pretty sure nobody agrees with me on that one. >: D

IDK, I miss Young Link. Every time I play Melee he's all I want to play, he's just so much fun. There's a tenacity to him that TL just doesn't have. I can't quite put my finger on it, but man, he's so fun.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
They're not trying to directly make this melee 2, otherwise Dr. Mario would be a character and not a costume. Plus bringing Young link back would be pointless because they actually gave some of Young links attributes to Toon Link(his fire spike for example). Pichu I guess they could make unique and good somehow but a character his size would probably have almost no good match ups, being that small means he has tiny reach so any sword character and characters with reach longer than Pichu's would be a nightmare for the lil guy. Overall I'm not interested in seeing Pichu back

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
>Beyond Muh Seven Slots

I understand the mentality behind this, i do, but think for a second - 7 extra characters is probably enough for the PMDT to have to worry about considering the balance of the game, BESIDES the overhauls required on the vanilla cast. adding characters indefinetly for years to come just seems like a balancing nightmare. also, remember the new characters' vocal assets have to replace something in the game already, hence some of the subspace bosses using roy and mewtwo's soundbits. and then on top of that there's the limit of the 2GB sd card, only so much will fit.
with the extra 7 characters, there's a potential roster total of 46. considering everything that's required, i think that's more than enough.

and with that, I'd like certain stars of various non-Pokemon GBA games that got unfairly snuffed in smash to have a chance to shine.

and god damn we have 7 pokemon already, smallerpikachu is a waste of an idea.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Lady Bow from paper mario would be awesome
image.jpg

image.jpg

She could have as many jumps as Kirby, could be 3D or paper like G&W, her down B could pull out the fan item (like how peach uses items!) shield breaks FTW! :3 what do you guys think? She's a sticker in brawl BTW

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Haha, I think I'm the only person on these boards that wants both Young Link and Pichu to come back. I'm pretty sure nobody agrees with me on that one. >: D

IDK, I miss Young Link. Every time I play Melee he's all I want to play, he's just so much fun. There's a tenacity to him that TL just doesn't have. I can't quite put my finger on it, but man, he's so fun.
The only reason I want them back is simply because I want them for the purpose of every Smash character being in the game, haha.
And 'cause I trust clones in the hands of the Project M team. They made Roy FUN! I imagine they could do the same with other clones.

Lady Bow from paper mario would be awesome
She could have as many jumps as Kirby, could be 3D or paper like G&W, her down B could pull out the fan item (like how peach uses items!) shield breaks FTW! :3 what do you guys think? She's a sticker in brawl BTW
As cool as she would be, I think she's too much of a minor character, she's only appeared in three games, twice as a minor cameo? I think, if they were to add any Paper Mario characters, it would HAVE to be Paper Mario himself, maybe he could have a standard special or taunt that cycles through his partners in the Paper Mario games who operate similarly to the Luma, all of whom change his standard special.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman

I'm still totally down to see the Pichu Bros should there be a spot open. They'd be a viable team together, but you'd still have the option to hold R and play as a lone pichu, serving as the intentionally underpowered joke character. /brokenrecord
Slippy would also be hilarious if they actually decide to add him. As another poster noted in one thread, sometimes characters can be fun because they're not the best.

On a more relevant note, I was thinking that Knuckles would look good in a Phantasy Star cosplay, of either Rolf or Chaz (Phantasy Star 2 and 4 respectively.
Rolf:

Chaz:

Failing that, a Gunstar Heroes or Streets of Rage costume would be boss:

Axel (Streets of Rage):

Gunstar Red:

Dino Domain

Smash Rookie
Were the results of this posted anywhere? I don't really feel like wading through 550+ posts of random banter and google search isn't helping.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
They're in the OP, but if you are too lazy, I'll go ahead and quickly find my post.

Alright, excuse the double post, but here are the last results for the year of 2014.

Results 12/3/14
553 unique voters
Character Total (+1, 0.5, -1, % Approval)

Top 5
Isaac: 264.5 (252, 49, 12, 96.17%)
Ridley: 192.5 (205, 53, 39, 86.87%)
Ganondorf / Black Shadow: 141.5 (168, 43, 48, 81.47%)
Lyn: 125.5 (136, 55, 38, 83.41%)
King K. Rool: 124.5 (111, 65, 19, 90.26%)

S-Tier (75+ total)
Dark Samus: 108 (108, 56, 28, 85.42%)
Skull Kid: 104 (83, 52, 5, 96.43%)
Sami: 101 (101, 34, 17, 88.82%)
Saki: 79 (67, 42, 9, 92.37%)
Ray: 78 (60, 38, 1, 98.99%)

A-Tier (30+ total)
Dixie: 63.5 (73, 53, 36, 77.78%)
Sukapon: 59 (63, 46, 27, 80.15%)
Masked Man: 58 (48, 38, 9, 90.53%)
Paper Mario: 56 (54, 52, 24, 81.54%)
Waluigi: 38 (63, 48, 49, 69.38%)
Andy: 36.5 (27, 39, 10, 86.84%)
Ninten: 32 (27, 28, 9, 85.94%)
Tom Nook: 31.5 (33, 33, 18, 78.57%)

B-Tier (10+ total)
Takamaru: 29 (17, 26, 1, 97.73%)
Goroh: 27.5 (20, 37, 11, 83.82%)
Lip: 26 (19, 18, 2, 94.87%)
Tetra: 21.5 (25, 27, 17, 75.36%)
Pichu: 17.5 (83 ,37, 84, 58.82%)
Ashley: 14.5 (8, 13, 0, 100.00%)
Micaiah: 12.5 (11, 9, 3, 86.96%)
Mach Rider: 11.5 (3, 17, 0, 100.00%)

C-Tier (0+ total)
Red: 7.5 (23, 9, 20, 61.54%)
Balloon Fighter: 7 (3, 12, 2, 88.24%)
Prince Sabure: 7 (4, 8, 1, 92.31%)
Slippy: 6.5 (7, 11, 6, 75.00%)
Hector: 6 (20, 26, 27, 63.01%)
Midna and Wolf Link: 6 (5, 4, 1, 90.00%)
Rawk Hawk: 5.5 (1, 13, 2, 87.50%)
Leon: 4.5 (3, 9, 3, 80.00%)
Primid: 3.5 (10, 9, 11, 63.33%)
Krystal: 3 (31, 44, 50, 60.00%)

D-Tier (0 and lower)
Young Link: -0.5 (8, 7, 12, 55.56%)
Toad: -2 (26, 28, 42, 56.25%)
Plusle and Minun: -3.5 (8, 7, 15, 50.00%)
Toon Zelda: -9.5 (8, 9, 22, 43.59%)

F-Tier (Bottom 5)
Gray Fox: -13 (6, 4, 21, 32.26%)
Liquid Snake: -13.5 (2, 5, 18, 28.00%)
Tails: -33 (25, 32, 74, 43.51%)
Knuckles: -40.5 (28, 21, 79, 38.28%)
Shadow: -61 (25, 16, 94, 30.37%)

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'm still totally down to see the Pichu Bros should there be a spot open. They'd be a viable team together, but you'd still have the option to hold R and play as a lone pichu, serving as the intentionally underpowered joke character. /brokenrecord
I'm having trouble seeing two Pichus doing very well, it'd be easy to confuse which Pichu you are, and I feel like since his moveset isn't designed from duet-play unlike Ice Climbers and Rosalina and Luma, it'd be a bit difficult to work with. Of course, with Project M in charge, they'd make it work. They're gods, they can make ANYTHING work.

I personally really want to see Pichu having something similar to Lucario/Lucas in terms of charging up: With every attack that Pichu does that harms himself, it builds up his electrical attacks, visually emitting a small electrical field, increasing his smash attack range and maybe power. Once it's fully charged, his down special could have a small electrical explosion, with devastating knockback, that you'd have to re-charge up again.

Of course, I'm no Pokémon expert, so that mechanic might not actually be canon...
Slippy would also be hilarious if they actually decide to add him. As another poster noted in one thread, sometimes characters can be fun because they're not the best.
I WOULD LOVE THIS. THIS WOULD MAKE ME HAPPY.
But he needs a huge jump. Maybe his moveset could be based on irritating your opponent: The blaster makes everyone trip, his up special summons a Nintendog, his side special would reverse the stage like Palkia, down special turns him invisible, and his taunts spawns thousands of activated smoke balls that lag your Wii.
Please don't take me seriously on this.
Please.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
The only reason I want them back is simply because I want them for the purpose of every Smash character being in the game, haha.
And 'cause I trust clones in the hands of the Project M team. They made Roy FUN! I imagine they could do the same with other clones.

As cool as she would be, I think she's too much of a minor character, she's only appeared in three games, twice as a minor cameo? I think, if they were to add any Paper Mario characters, it would HAVE to be Paper Mario himself, maybe he could have a standard special or taunt that cycles through his partners in the Paper Mario games who operate similarly to the Luma, all of whom change his standard special.
Paper Mario would be cool, only thing I don't like is that his hammer might be a clone of G&W's hammer

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Paper Mario would be cool, only thing I don't like is that his hammer might be a clone of G&W's hammer
Naw, I think it should be a Smash attack and a few standards, he has the perfect animations and everything! Have you ever seen Paper Mario punch, kick, or do anything like that? Maybe he should use his hammer for all standards.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Paper Mario would be the absolute greatest thing ever. I'd love the PMDT even more than forever.

Maybe one day...

Tetraplex

Smash Cadet
What's this? I haven't seen mention of Bandana Dee in a while!

Parasol recovery, spear-fighting up close and as a projectile! He'd be awesome!

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
So, I hosted a small scale tourney last night.
people were pretty hype to see Mewtwo and Roy again, and course at the prospect of more new characters. particularly (and Potentially) two of them.

So, now that Skull Kid was debunked as fake, is Sami really going to be a playable character in PM?
>now
we've known that for ages.

No one knows for sure in this thread. I suspect Warchamp7 was covering tracks though.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
1403621010356.jpg

I don't see any discussion of relevant leaks on this page

just Skullkid, who everyone knows now was fake at the time

Last edited:

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Do we seriously want three Links in the same game? While it'd be nice to have every Melee character in Project M, but at the same time we'll have too many clones, using up the Clone Engine Character slots.

:younglinkmelee: Where do I begin? Let's see... two Links with practically the same voice, from different Smash Bros. games. There doesn't appear to be enough obvious differences to warrant three Links. I personally prefer Toon Link, though. Notice how Dr. Mario is an alternate costume for Mario in Project M, rather than a separate character?

:pichumelee: I can see Pichu differing in some way further, like how Ganondorf has a new Neutral-B move. Looking up the moves it can learn on Bulbapedia, maybe give Pichu a new Side+B move? Pichu can't even learn Skull Bash in G/S/C. I'm thinking of Iron Tail or Wild Charge for a new Side+B move. Reversal could be a Down+B counter move like Marth's. Oh who am I to make suggestions? But still, it's a pre-evolution of Pikachu and that's probably one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't want Pichu.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Do we seriously want three Links in the same game? While it'd be nice to have every Melee character in Project M, but at the same time we'll have too many clones, using up the Clone Engine Character slots.

:younglinkmelee: Where do I begin? Let's see... two Links with practically the same voice, from different Smash Bros. games. There doesn't appear to be enough obvious differences to warrant three Links. I personally prefer Toon Link, though. Notice how Dr. Mario is an alternate costume for Mario in Project M, rather than a separate character?
I thought the same, especially since they gave Toon Link most of Young Link's moves. They would have to semi-clonify Toon Link and/or Young Link MUCH further for him to be any different. And, of course, the whole Mask Transformation think wouldn't be possible without taking up three whole slots.

:pichumelee: I can see Pichu differing in some way further, like how Ganondorf has a new Neutral-B move. Looking up the moves it can learn on Bulbapedia, maybe give Pichu a new Side+B move? Pichu can't even learn Skull Bash in G/S/C. I'm thinking of Iron Tail or Wild Charge for a new Side+B move. Reversal could be a Down+B counter move like Marth's. Oh who am I to make suggestions? But still, it's a pre-evolution of Pikachu and that's probably one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't want Pichu.
This guy's a good thinker.
I like this guy.
Did you hear my idea for Pichu earlier? I mentioned a charge-based suggestion akin to Lucas based on Pichu's self-damage, thought it might be a good change.

Last edited:

RoyMustang

Smash Rookie
1 Vote:
Ridley
Tetra (On her own, I don't want Toon Zelda to be a transformation or anything like that)
Isaac
Waluigi
Black Shadow/Ganon

1/2 Vote
Krystal
Dixie
Shadow
Liquid

Edit: Oops, I wasn't paying attention. Didn't see that it said voting closed. My bad.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I give you a thumbs up for 1/2 voting Liquid though. Poor guy only really got support early in the threads life, and I'll agree Sami is probably the better choice.

That mullet tho.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
So I have indeed picked up Golden Sun off of the Wii U Eshop.

Truth be told, the game just seems to be a collection of mechanics from other JRPGs that have been stuck together under an "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality. not saying it's bad, but it's a bit on the generic side, at least so far. As for the Djinn themselves, unless i'm mistaken, they seem to be just an equipable buff and major Psynergy attack that have to recover every now and then.

i can see this working on a potential Project M Isaac in a similar manner to the monado arts that Shulk has in Sm4sh. and even moreso like Samus' beam change in project M where it changes the effects a few of her moves.

also Isaac's standard attack animation is almost identical to link's first strike of his fsmash.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
So I have indeed picked up Golden Sun off of the Wii U Eshop.

Truth be told, the game just seems to be a collection of mechanics from other JRPGs that have been stuck together under an "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality. not saying it's bad, but it's a bit on the generic side, at least so far. As for the Djinn themselves, unless i'm mistaken, they seem to be just an equipable buff and major Psynergy attack that have to recover every now and then.

i can see this working on a potential Project M Isaac in a similar manner to the monado arts that Shulk has in Sm4sh. and even moreso like Samus' beam change in project M where it changes the effects a few of her moves.

also Isaac's standard attack animation is almost identical to link's first strike of his fsmash.
Golden Sun shines in exploration. Every region you visit has a distinct and charming culture, so the stakes for saving the world get higher with every area you visit. Golden Sun also has some of the best puzzles in any JRPG I've ever played. The combat and story are good and nothing more, but those parts of the game are the sugar on top. If Golden Sun had deeper characters and harder battles, I reckon it would be the best handheld RPG of its generation.

As for Isaac, I would appreciate multiple elemental states as a gimmick of his, but only if switching between them is not too intrusive. Olimar was built on this concept and he flopped hard.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Golden Sun shines in exploration. Every region you visit has a distinct and charming culture, so the stakes for saving the world get higher with every area you visit. Golden Sun also has some of the best puzzles in any JRPG I've ever played. The combat and story are good and nothing more, but those parts of the game are the sugar on top. If Golden Sun had deeper characters and harder battles, I reckon it would be the best handheld RPG of its generation.
I enjoyed it, and that's coming from someone TERRIBLE at RPG's!
As for Isaac, I would appreciate multiple elemental states as a gimmick of his, but only if switching between them is not too intrusive. Olimar was built on this concept and he flopped hard.
That would be an awesome gimmick! Though I disagree about the Olimar bit, I was always conscious of which Pikmin was selected. I wouldn't always cycle through them as you could with the down-special, but would always utilize each one properly as they were selected. He's my sweet main!

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Golden Sun shines in exploration. Every region you visit has a distinct and charming culture, so the stakes for saving the world get higher with every area you visit. Golden Sun also has some of the best puzzles in any JRPG I've ever played.
Again, most other JRPGs do these to the same or a just flat out better extent. I concede I'm only playing the first one right now, and it's not like I dislike it. it is just noticeably rather... plain, so far for a game of it's genre.

but we're talking like shulk or samus.
and as far as "elemental damage" goes in smash there's never been any actual effect from them in particular, they're purely cosmetic. even samus' ice attack cosmetics are only there to remind you her moves have changed some properties - it's not like all ice attacks in the game have the same effects (trajectory of knockback, a chance to freeze, ect.)

tapping b to have issac cycle through the 4 elements ala monado arts shulk to change the properties of some moves doesn't sound too far fetched, or "intrusive".

failing all this, a magic swordsman like robin seems doable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom