• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Well you are playing an RPG from 2001, there have been a lot of RPGs since then so that's probably why you're not impressed as you expected to be.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Well you are playing an RPG from 2001, there have been a lot of RPGs since then so that's probably why you're not impressed as you expected to be.
no, i'm actually keeping it in context and comparing it to games that had come out before that. comparing it to games that had released after golden sun is of course, unfair, so far. it's not doing anything inherently wrong but it's not exactly stellar just yet.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Unfortunately not until the next character is "announced". As in a trailer, blog post, or something within those lines. Not the leaks.

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
Lady Bow could be a Meta Knight clone quck slapping with her fan, also Young Link would definitely be worth a while character, but only if he was completely redone. I posted a move set that is true to YL, but so different than the original it would make him worth using.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
tapping b to have issac cycle through the 4 elements ala monado arts shulk to change the properties of some moves doesn't sound too far fetched, or "intrusive".
Some distinct moves like growth would need to be creatively stretched between elements, then. For example:

Earth=Vine (standard)
Fire=Fume
Wind=Torando
Water=Ice Pillar

I have faith that the PMDT would pull Isaac off well, I'm more bummed out by Olimar :p

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
Apparently, I got my butt sended here cause I was talking about " something I can't talk about because of certain reasons, but is related to PM. ", along with my opinion. Jeez.:glare:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I want Tingle in Project M.
Apparently, I got my butt sended here cause I was talking about " something I can't talk about because of certain reasons, but is related to PM. ", along with my opinion. Jeez.:glare:
Rule's are rules, no leak talk allowed, I'm honestly surprised this thread is still up, we've been a bit more than subtle about certain leaks... But most of it is speculation anyway.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Welcome to Smashboards, the most organized forum this side of Nintendo.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx

Seriously though, Tingle does have some potential, but most players would probably just be turned off by his inclusion. Here is something unique that could be given to him. I'm thinking Snake base, UpB can be ballon trip, DownB he can plant a bomb flower idk, but the one I'm wanting to explain would be SideB. Rupee toss!

Using SideB Tingle would toss a rupee towards the opponent. It always starts as a green rupee which does the least amount of damage and knockback, but if you pummel a grabbed opponent, you steal his rupees >:D

Sort of like Wario's pummel in a way, but this has a benefit. Each pummel changes the rupee that pops over the opponents head. From Zelda cannon, this would go Green -> Blue -> Yellow -> Red -> Purple -> Orange -> Silver. Each one could have unique qualities, or they could simply just get stronger and stronger the more times you pummel an opponent! Beware though, if you die you lose half of your current rupees so you don't want to overextend going for those grabs all the time and get punished.

... Don't mind me I just needed some Clone Engine Character brain food. It's been a while lol.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Lol even if Tingle got in and was good I wouldn't play him. I decide who I play based on if I like them or not and the way Tingle looks isn't helping him one bit XD

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
1421736673479.png

wait, so you got sent here, to a thread where it's very likely that you can't talk about the very same thing anyway?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord

Arteen

Smash Lord
So I have indeed picked up Golden Sun off of the Wii U Eshop.

Truth be told, the game just seems to be a collection of mechanics from other JRPGs that have been stuck together under an "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality. not saying it's bad, but it's a bit on the generic side, at least so far. As for the Djinn themselves, unless i'm mistaken, they seem to be just an equipable buff and major Psynergy attack that have to recover every now and then.

i can see this working on a potential Project M Isaac in a similar manner to the monado arts that Shulk has in Sm4sh. and even moreso like Samus' beam change in project M where it changes the effects a few of her moves.

also Isaac's standard attack animation is almost identical to link's first strike of his fsmash.
I loved Golden Sun, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. It certainly has its faults.

Personally my favorite aspect of Golden Sun is the psynergy puzzles. The characters have a lot of unique abilities at their disposal and its fun using those abilities to explore the world and solve puzzles. While the characters and story are bland, I do love the setting a lot as well.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Does anyone they'd actually work on Saki? I've been kinda losing hope for him. There are, like, NO finished PSA's for him anywhere. And most of the other clone engine characters do. So I assume that he's near impossible to work with?

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
From what I heard, projectiles are hard
Yeah see, it's things like that that worry me, considering they'd pick him in the first place. He can be based off of ZSS sure but if they use lets's say toon link, they can replace the arrow with one of Saki's bullets from his assist trophy? But obviously rework it to shoot fast like the assist. I don't know, it's just an idea

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion whether a PSA works depends on who works on it, their knowledge of the character they're working on and their creativity. Look at the Ridley PSA made by BaganSmashbros for example. So if you want to see Saki, the right person just has to come along

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Yeah see, it's things like that that worry me, considering they'd pick him in the first place. He can be based off of ZSS sure but if they use lets's say toon link, they can replace the arrow with one of Saki's bullets from his assist trophy? But obviously rework it to shoot fast like the assist. I don't know, it's just an idea
I'm not sure, sorry

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
In my opinion whether a PSA works depends on who works on it, their knowledge of the character they're working on and their creativity. Look at the Ridley PSA made by BaganSmashbros for example. So if you want to see Saki, the right person just has to come along
Yeah, but then again there are so many character' PSAs and Saki only has one unfinished one. So it just goes to show how many people know or care about him. And I actually even asked on Brawl Vault on the request boards if someone would do it
Update PSA Request for Saki Amamiya
So im sure what youre saying is Nothing's impossible but PSAs take a lot of work and I don't think I'm likely to find anyone who will do all of that for me.

Last edited:

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
I want Tingle in Project M.

Rule's are rules, no leak talk allowed, I'm honestly surprised this thread is still up, we've been a bit more than subtle about certain leaks... But most of it is speculation anyway.
phew....

The only... "Zelda?" character I'd be cool with at this point is probably Volga.
Actually that'd be hard AF to make but sounds interesting. A midspeed character with a spear...
meh. I'll live witout it.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
to be the wet blanket, yes. projectiles are hard, and people tend to forget how limiting the clone engine is. not to say they can't do some great stuff with it, but there are certain restrictions that have to be minded.

oh, on another note, we usually get a new video preview on the first of April, don't we? here's hoping for some lyn and knuckles news.

don't you even chastise me for that.
we've been blueballed on this info for months and the video's all over youtube.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
phew....

The only... "Zelda?" character I'd be cool with at this point is probably Volga.
Actually that'd be hard AF to make but sounds interesting. A midspeed character with a spear...
meh. I'll live witout it.
Volga would be awesome! Yeah, I feel like there aren't very many characters that could translate well from the Zelda series to Smash, Volga would probably be one of the few. I could only see Tingle and Midna, and Tingle would still have a tricky moveset to figure out... Other than his obvious Up-Special, and perhaps the same Down-Special as Link.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Well the thing is with Smash Bros and representing series is that it's more important to get the main cast (depending on the series). The Mario series for example already has its main cast in smash, being Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach. Anyone else after that is just extra tbh. The LoZ series is in the same boat, Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are the main cast while all the other characters are extra, although some extra's are more important than others though

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Well the thing is with Smash Bros and representing series is that it's more important to get the main cast (depending on the series). The Mario series for example already has its main cast in smash, being Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach. Anyone else after that is just extra tbh. The LoZ series is in the same boat, Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are the main cast while all the other characters are extra, although some extra's are more important than others though
That's definitely true for Smash Bros. and Smash Bros. Melee... Though I feel like that rule has somewhat pooped as the years go by...

:4wiifit::rosalina::4lucario::4greninja::ivysaur::wolf:

I'm exaggerating a bit for some of those characters...

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
That's definitely true for Smash Bros. and Smash Bros. Melee... Though I feel like that rule has somewhat pooped as the years go by...

:4wiifit::rosalina::4lucario::4greninja::ivysaur::wolf:

I'm exaggerating a bit for some of those characters...
Lol well in the case of Wii fit and Pokemon they don't really have a main cast per say, Wii fit because it's an exercise game and Pokemon because it's a creature driven series not a character one.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, who else in the mainline Mario games is "main cast" at this point if not Rosalina and Jr.? Playable roles mean a lot unless you're a rankless Toad. (Captain Toad for Smash 6.)

Wolf is a pretty major player in the Starfox games, and Lucario is the face of the newer generations. So yeah.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I mean, who else in the mainline Mario games is "main cast" at this point if not Rosalina and Jr.? Playable roles mean a lot unless you're a rankless Toad. (Captain Toad for Smash 6.)

Wolf is a pretty major player in the Starfox games, and Lucario is the face of the newer generations. So yeah.
This is true, although imo Rosalina is only part of the main cast because she was so well received in Mario Galaxy that they decided to put her everywhere now lol. Daisy and Waluigi could've been part of the main cast too if they were received as well as Rosalina was. Lucario does rep the 4th gen and Greninja reps the 6th gen so they make sense

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is true, although imo Rosalina is only part of the main cast because she was so well received in Mario Galaxy that they decided to put her everywhere now lol. Daisy and Waluigi could've been part of the main cast too if they were received as well as Rosalina was. Lucario does rep the 4th gen and Greninja reps the 6th gen so they make sense
I mean, Daisy and Waluigi *couldve*, but Diddy Kong couldve also been DK Jr. in the original DKC instead. Rosalina won the "newest most important Mario character lottery". It's a fact that she's now very important to the main Mario series. And as the developers seem to like her as much as fans do, will likely keep appearing.

And I actually meant Lucario is more important than just the Gen 4 mascot; that would put him at the same level of importance as Zoroark; he's kind of the face of newer Pokemon. My cousins who are 10-15 all grew up playing games with him, and he's probably as big as Mewtwo/Charizard was to people who played R/B/Y to kids like that.

But yeah...clone engine and stuff. (Seriously can't wait for April 1st.)

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I mean, Daisy and Waluigi *couldve*, but Diddy Kong couldve also been DK Jr. in the original DKC instead. Rosalina won the "newest most important Mario character lottery". It's a fact that she's now very important to the main Mario series. And as the developers seem to like her as much as fans do, will likely keep appearing.

And I actually meant Lucario is more important than just the Gen 4 mascot; that would put him at the same level of importance as Zoroark; he's kind of the face of newer Pokemon. My cousins who are 10-15 all grew up playing games with him, and he's probably as big as Mewtwo/Charizard was to people who played R/B/Y to kids like that.

But yeah...clone engine and stuff. (Seriously can't wait for April 1st.)
I like that perspective, didn't think about it like that!

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
Well Nintendo has covered all of their bases at this point and added every major... "Protagonist". And I use that loosely because, for the most part, Brawl had a good showing from pretty much every series within it. So I'm pretty satisfied at this point.
Because of that, less popular choices can now be made.
That being said: There are characters that I would like. Am I going to hope? Yes. Am I going to whine? Little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom