• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Aldereguia

Smash Cadet
i'm just saying they are new stuff that wasn't in the game originally. and if u wanna get into stances stuff, they did add samus ice form. so saying new stuff wont be added because they are not developers is a bit insulting, when they have shown what they can do. and if they had the time to be working full time on this stuff it'd be even better. anyway, point is, i don't want a boring character.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Behold! The Ridley Wars! Episode I: The Phantom Alder-something!

...We still haven't gotten out of the boring negotiation scene. :\

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
i'm just saying they are new stuff that wasn't in the game originally. and if u wanna get into stances stuff, they did add samus ice form. so saying new stuff wont be added because they are not developers is a bit insulting, when they have shown what they can do. and if they had the time to be working full time on this stuff it'd be even better. anyway, point is, i don't want a boring character.
Samus' Side Taunt changes some of her attacks. Shulk's stances thing changes his attributes. I am talking about more complicated stuff. There are enough limitations that get in the way. I know they are really good at this, but they don't know everything about SSBB's coding, they can't do something outside of PSA limits. They can't create unique characters like Rosalina or give transformation final smashes or just any completly unique final smashes. They have limits to what they can do. Brawl's developers had only file size limits. They can't do anything. But what they did while under those limits is still impressive.
No one wants those.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
>episode 1
>EPISODE 1

to make this star wars analogy appropriate, we would probably be at the end of the new trilogy by now.
What analogy? I remember going to the theater and seeing Ridley and Issac have a heated debate over the ethics of the White Knights and the Flamers on a molten pillar in the middle of "indescript-underground-volcano-topia" quite vividly.

In other news, is there a Kaepora Gaebora trophy?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In other news, is there a Kaepora Gaebora trophy?
No. But if he would be playable, his final smash would be a very long information dump that ends with question "Did you understood any of this?" with 2 answers for it - "No." and "Um...not really". Then he repeats until you turn off the game because pause button is disabled and timer for the match stops.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That is just exaggerated version of Marth's tipper mechanic ("hit or miss" instead of "hit properly with high damage and knockback or hit with average damage and knockback"), but with a single projectile. Interesting - yes, unique - no. I mean something like Ice Climbers, Zelda/Shiek, Lucario, Rosalina, etc. Something that obviously can't be done with limits they have (Lucario's aura gimmick can't be properly replicated, only in the way they did with PM Lucario, no damage increase or something like that).

Will this thread be kept open once Project M will add 5 more characters or what?

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Will this thread be kept open once Project M will add 5 more characters or what?
Well considering at that point this thread would have no purpose whatsoever, I see no reason to keep it open. What would we even talk about? How salty we are X didn't get in?

I'm pretty sure it will be closed once there are no clone slots left or the PMDT publicly announce that they will not be adding anymore characters.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros
I'd consider both an inability to attack up-close and the ability to allow attacks to pass right through her to be unique mechanics, but if you mean strictly that which works outside of the Smash standards:
Lucario's on-hit-cancels are a completely original ability, as well as gaining XP from hitting opponents which can then be spent on super-versions of any of his specials.
Olimar's Pikmin budding may have been in Brawl, but it had no effect and only became a proper mechanic in PM.
I'd consider Solar Beam to count if Shulk's stuff does, considering that Ivysaur can gain charge from a B-move (that also heals), from sweetspotting some normals (which also heals her and puts a flower on the apponent), and even pummeling (which also heal).
And on the topic of Lucario, there has yet to be an implementation of a Rage mechanic in Smash that didn't suck, something which I believe is appropriate and possible for Ridley.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros
I'd consider both an inability to attack up-close and the ability to allow attacks to pass right through her to be unique mechanics, but if you mean strictly that which works outside of the Smash standards:
Lucario's on-hit-cancels are a completely original ability, as well as gaining XP from hitting opponents which can then be spent on super-versions of any of his specials.
Olimar's Pikmin budding may have been in Brawl, but it had no effect and only became a proper mechanic in PM.
I'd consider Solar Beam to count if Shulk's stuff does, considering that Ivysaur can gain charge from a B-move (that also heals), from sweetspotting some normals (which also heals her and puts a flower on the apponent), and even pummeling (which also heal).
And on the topic of Lucario, there has yet to be an implementation of a Rage mechanic in Smash that didn't suck, something which I believe is appropriate and possible for Ridley.
What is the difference between vbrawl Olimar and PM Olimar? Never noticed it.
That is basically same thing as Lucario's XP gimmick, but can be charged and only 1 attack can be used by building up the energy for Solar Beam.
I should probably pay more attention to PM characters...That is something unique then i guess, but what else can be done then?
As a mechanic, it could work for Ridley, but i don't think it should be his main thing. For your post on Ridley, i disagree with few things like his size (Bowser should remain the biggest one), tail (it should be invincible like any other weapon in this game or else it will not only ignore one of the main parts of Ridley, but will also turn him into a punching bag considering how long it is and Charizard has invincible tail too, so, why should Ridley have it vulnerable?), but i agree with things like weight and him being better in the air than on the ground.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
That is just exaggerated version of Marth's tipper mechanic ("hit or miss" instead of "hit properly with high damage and knockback or hit with average damage and knockback"), but with a single projectile. Interesting - yes, unique - no. I mean something like Ice Climbers, Zelda/Shiek, Lucario, Rosalina, etc. Something that obviously can't be done with limits they have (Lucario's aura gimmick can't be properly replicated, only in the way they did with PM Lucario, no damage increase or something like that).

I personally don't see adding "unique" characters as a priority. I think that's a mandate for a workload that's way too much for a team that's doing this in their own free time and don't have access to the development tools that Sakurai would have. All they really need to add is something fresh, and that can easily be achieved by even creating clones.

Once PM is done adding characters (...that's probably way too far off), there's no point in having this thread.

HotNTasty

Smash Apprentice
My Votes are for

+1
Takamaru
Balloon Fighter
Saki
Lip
Skapon

+.5
Isaac
Ridley
Dixie
Black Shadow/New Ganondorf
Andy
Sami

-1 Lyn
I feel like this is a great opportunity to give some series that don't have strong chances of seeing a playable Smash Rep anytime soon, meanwhile fire emblem has gotten quite a bit of love in sm4sh (not unjustifiably). Also as noted in the OP, fire emblem already has a clone engine spot dedicated to it via Roy and she isn't even the main character of her game, something that has denied eligibility for many other characters.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I've been wondering, if two characters from the same series make it in the top five after the final results are tallied, will both of those characters be added?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I've been wondering, if two characters from the same series make it in the top five after the final results are tallied, will both of those characters be added?
This poll has no impact on which characters are added. It's just here for fan input.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Probably unnecessary. By the way things sound, we probably won't even get 5 new characters.
Yeah, it's best to not take even the current possibilities for granted. PMDT are dedicated, but assuming Mewtwo's 700 hours is about how long every single one would take, 700 * 5 = 3500 hours for five characters. That's insane by any standards, and they don't have many animators to divide the load amongst. Making actual clones cuts down that time a bit, but you can't just expect that much from someone who's not getting paid and then suggest they switch to another system so they can do even more.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's best to not take even the current possibilities for granted. PMDT are dedicated, but assuming Mewtwo's 700 hours is about how long every single one would take, 700 * 5 = 3500 hours for five characters. That's insane by any standards, and they don't have many animators to divide the load amongst. Making actual clones cuts down that time a bit, but you can't just expect that much from someone who's not getting paid and then suggest they switch to another system so they can do even more.
Not to take away from the effort put forth for Mewtwo and Roy; that time frame of 700~ hours is a bit outdated now that animations are able to be imported/exported from Maya - before most things had to be done directly in BrawlBox. Your main point still stands, of course (and the fact that any new characters would have to be completely designed from scratch most likely increases the production time past that figure anyway, outside of Pichu I suppose), but this does make things a bit easier on the PMDT compared to over a year ago.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
PMDT are dedicated, but assuming Mewtwo's 700 hours is about how long every single one would take, 700 * 5 = 3500 hours for five characters. That's insane by any standards, and they don't have many animators to divide the load amongst.
first off, if we are being realistic, taking into account their own time they can spend on it, and what they've already exhausted on the new features of the eventual incoming 3.5 release (animations, skins, stages, game modes ect), i'd estimate that they'd still have had enough time to implement 1, or remotely possibly 2, characters, since last release, depending on how they are built. i at least don't think it's too optimistic to be hoping for 1 new character come the release.

swapping to brawlex would be an idiotic idea though. Personal time of the PMDT aside, just adding characters ad infinum to a game that is at least trying to focus on competitive balance would be nothing but a vicious circle of trying to keep everything in said balance. the 7 slots they want to/are working with is for the best, really. also i hear brawlex is still kind of buggy.

also, 700 hours was mewtwo's ANIMATIONS alone. the rest of it took longer. roy's animation work was at least alluded to being significantly less thanks to his cloney nature.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
also, 700 hours was mewtwo's ANIMATIONS alone. the rest of it took longer. roy's animation work was at least alluded to being significantly less thanks to his cloney nature.
That is why (semi-)clones are better for Project M. Doesn't means it will be worth it in all cases.
Coding stuff doesn't takes too much time. Testing it does however.
we need Skull Kid aka Majora!!!!
You are Gannon-banned for last part of your post. Skull Kid you are talking about is just a Skull Kid that wears Majora's Mask. Those 2 are separate beings.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, that is something good to know. I don't think its bad news tbh. We will get other kind of content worth of discussion too, so, it isn't all that bad.

Xyn

Smash Cadet
With all the focus on balance it was always pretty unlikely that 3.5 would have new chars.

My guess is the priority is to stabilize the present meta before trying to introduce a new one.
Yess. I think they mainly focused on the gameplay for 3.5, so that in 4.0 there are only a few changes to do.
Therefore we will get in 4.0 something big and that would be at least 2 characters.....in one year.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not sure if it's a good time to vote, but here are my votes anyway :p
  • Skull Kid
  • Takamaru
  • Dark Samus
  • Masked Man
  • Black Shadow
    • Will get Ganondorf's moveset (hovering too!) while Ganon will obtain a new moveset based on his sword and magic

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I really like all changes i saw, but i still wish there are stages with gimmicks left because its not fun without those. Anyway, if version 4.0 will have new characters, i doubt we will get it before November of next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom