• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
For all of those folks with new +1s and either have an itch for a new kind of swordsman, are curious and open minded enough to read someone else's musing, or are just bored, I urge you to read my finally completed Takamaru concept move set. It also comes with a bonus Lyn move set and a "why samurai/katana users are hype" preface by the wise @ManlySpirit.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
For all of those folks with new +1s and either have an itch for a new kind of swordsman, are curious and open minded enough to read someone else's musing, or are just bored, I urge you to read my finally completed Takamaru concept move set. It also comes with a bonus Lyn move set and a "why samurai/katana users are hype" preface by the wise @ManlySpirit.
See, THIS time you at least presented (or at least linked) an idea of yours as to how he could work and why that'd be cool, not just tell people to vote for him because samurai.

You have learned, bksbestbwoy-san.

Last edited:

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
I know it may sound crazy, but I'm putting my fourth full vote on the Elite Beat Agents. They could work like a mixture between Ice climbers and captain falcon. Maybe....something like that. With more dancing.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
See, THIS time you at least presented (or at least linked) an idea of yours as to how he could work and why that'd be cool, not just tell people to vote for him because samurai.

You have learned, bksbestbwoy-san.
Haha, thanks. I would have done a full quote here, but I imagined a wall of TL;DR is unappetizing versus a nice link for everyone.

I know it may sound crazy, but I'm putting my fourth full vote on the Elite Beat Agents. They could work like a mixture between Ice climbers and captain falcon. Maybe....something like that. With more dancing.
Whoa, actually if this is possible, I'd throw down an easy 1/2 vote on them, especially if they had Elite Beat Divas as alts a la Male Robin/Female Robin.

Last edited:

muleet

Smash Apprentice
+0.5 to Waluigi.
It may seem superficial, but I'd like to see a FFA with Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi, their outfits are making them nice-looking in group, and SSB can be played up to 4 character, so it fits. Besides Luigi has the best wavedash, Wario the best aerial mobility, Mario is one of the easiest and balanced character, so I'd like to see in what category Waluigi could be "the best".
And he's so weird, and ugly, I like that.
Edit : He's purple too, so Project M needs him.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I doubt anyone cares, but I've edited my post again to make better sense of my moveset suggestions for Ridley.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So, if the character leak happens to be true... does that mean Sukapon's back on the table?
...I'm not sure what you are trying to say. What made you think Sukapon was ever off the table to begin with?

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
The OP said in her CONS section that she has a good chance in being in Smash 4. Rightfully so, She's the ultimate fighting robot, unlike that other scrub, whatshisname

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The OP said in her CONS section that she has a good chance in being in Smash 4. Rightfully so, She's the ultimate fighting robot, unlike that other scrub, whatshisname
If I were you, I would take any CON on the OP that states "has a good chance of being in Smash 4" with a grain of salt. Mostly because it is a matter of opinion, unless there is evidence to back it up. And if Takamaru is any indication, Sukapon's chances are actually pretty damn slim. Regardless, if you believe the character has a chance of being in Smash 4, you can always use your vote on another character if the one you voted on turns out to be confirmed in Smash 4.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
I think people are overlooking an important feature: Project M's color scheme.

Obviously Black Shadow, Ridley, and Waluigi are going to be added (#1 each).

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I think people are overlooking an important feature: Project M's color scheme.

Obviously Black Shadow, Ridley, and Waluigi are going to be added (#1 each).
With Mewtwo and Roy this holds up so far.

DFollert

Smash Rookie
+1:
Waluigi: I know not many people like him, but well... I tend to like underappreciated characters.
Ridley: We need another Metroid character.
King K. Rool: I was a fan of the Country series, also we need more villains.
Ganondorf/Black Shadow: I really like this idea, another F-Zero character and a well made Ganondorf(I hope).

+1/2:
Isaac: Great game.
Pigma(from Star Fox): I know no one knows him, Star Fox's traitor and Wolf's partner. No one will ever vote for him but i wanted to do it anyways.
Pichu: Seems like an easy addition,I don't see why not.

-1:
Lyn: We have enough Fire Emblem characters, with the addition of Roy, I don't see why would we need any other.
Dark Samus: I prefer a boss of the classic game rather than a Clone/Dark version of the principal character. I know she has a good background and was the boss of 2 great games but I don't think she is the right choice.
Ninten: I know there are awesome characters here, but I think Lucas and Ness are enough, if you want more characters from Earthbound, I prefer them to be villains since that's what Brawl lacks.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus: If we were to add Ridley or Dark Samus, I prefer Ridley by far,
That's not really a good reason to downvote a character. If you prefer Ridley, then vote for Ridley and don't vote for Dark Samus. If you truly are not comfortable with Dark Samus in P:M, however, then you are more than welcome to downvote her. Just change your reason for downvoting her with on that reflects your opinion.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
With the introduction of Shulk to the Smash 4 roster, its theorized the leaked full roster is real. Thus many characters people really want might not be getting their chance to shine

Its happening guys
PM's gonna shine bright if the top voted clone characters get added

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
+1 for Tails
I'd love to see him make the cut as an additional Sonic rep.
+1/2 for Pichu
Personal favorite of mine in Melee. He's adorable and easy to clone from Pikachu
-1 Cutom Robo
Seems out of place.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
With the introduction of Shulk to the Smash 4 roster, its theorized the leaked full roster is real.
All-Star mode is locked. So, its not full roster and it was never said to be such.

Anyway:
+1
Ridley: We need another Metroid character and he is here since 80's. Only in case he isn't in SSB4.
King K.Rool: DK needs its villain first.
Ganondorf remake/Black Shadow: After seeing Hairdorf, i think Falcondork sucks and needs to be reworked to be closer to what he is while still keeping physical attacks that don't use sword(s). And since some like Ganondorf's PM moveset, it must be still present. Also, Ganondorf is Falcondork again in SSB4, so, does it makes remade Ganondorf more likely or what?

Every Sonic character present in the list: Keep 2nd/3rd/4th reps of 3rd party franchises out of any kind of SSB game, official or not. They are guests, nothing more, so, you can keep those franchises with only 1 character and it will be enough. More than 1 will be overrepresenting those franchises. It is NINTENDO All-Star fighting game, not "Sonic and those Nintendo guys". 3rd party characters are just extra characters.

Last edited:

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
+1
Skull Kid: A major character from a great Zelda game, one of my personal favourites.
Ridley: Because his fans deserve to see him playable, even if it's not in an official game. Plus, Metroid is extremely under-represented.
Black Shadow/Ganondorf: Ganondorf deserves better than being a Falcon clone. Plus, a new F-Zero character on top of that is a nice bonus.

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
Hello I've been lurking this forum ever since I started PM a few months ago and thought I'd start being a part of the community.

--EDITED VOTE--

+1 Isaac: Isaac has a lot of potential. Believe it or not, Isaac can be seen as a heavy melee fighter or a long ranged defensive character similar to Link. People say 'another swordsman is bad' but people who have played Goldensun know that Isaac can carry a mace or an axe as well. I think Isaac being a Link clone for most of his attacks but has DK's special moves (if that is possible). Wielding a mace would be similar to Dedede even. Over all he is unique and has a variety of movesets he can borrow from. For people screaming Hector is a great choice, I think Isaac can fill his role with a giant axe thus fulfilling your need to axe people questions.

+1 Dark Samus: Metroid really deserves a new rep. Sadly, no space pirate model exists so that's out of the question. Dark Samus could play similarly to Snake I believe; leaving Phazon puddles around and lobbing blue goop explosives. Dark Samus can move similarly to mewtwo and over all feel very different from Samus while still borrowing a lot of animations from her as well as Snake and or Mewtwo.

+1/2 Ninten: Ninten shows some potential to be very different from the other two Psy-kids. He is still a third rep and is still asthetically similar and background wise. I'd prefer a villain from the series but Ninten is perfectly fine. I don't feel he is worth a +1. He is still the third rep and will still have a similar visual style as the other two kids, otherwise, a perfectly acceptable choice.

-1: Sanic The Hadgehag characters: Knuckles, Tails, Shadow and whoever else that could be possible just don't have enough personality. Sanic barely does. Almost all of his moves involve him using a spindash already. What unique abilities could tails or knuckles possibly bring? Perhaps Shadow should be a mix between Sanic and Mewtwo but we have enough Psychics/telekinetics/whatevers. What would Tails' B-moves be? How about Knuckles? Notice it's hard to think of unique abilities for these characters unlike Isaac or Dark Samus or well, many others.

Thank you for reading, I hope to get to know all of you over time!

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Hello I've been lurking this forum ever since I started PM a few months ago and thought I'd start being a part of the community.
I haven't been active in a while because of back to school preparations but I wanted to give you a big welcome from the clone engine community! :colorful: :colorful: :colorful:

-1 Cutom Robo
Seems out of place.
I don't think this is a very good reason to -1 a character, we have dinosaurs (Yoshi) and robots (R.O.B) in Smash. How can Ray (assuming you're referring to Ray since he's the only Custom Robo representative being voted for) not fit? He's a humanoid robot which is another way of saying he's a robot that looks human (similar to Megaman in Sm4sh), it's not like he doesn't have arms and legs limiting him to fight so is there a reason you think he's out of place? If characters similar to him are confirmed in the new Smash I don't see why he would be out of place in your eyes.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
+1
Ridley:Come on this guy needs to be in something rather smash 4 or project M.He's one of if not the best boss in nintendo history
Issac:The fact that golden sun has no reps is ridiculous so i hope project m can help.
Dixie:Just perfer her over k roil
+1/2
Toad/Rosalina: If there has to be another mario character one of these two
Takamaru:Badass samurai enough said
Zoroark:A cool pokemon that would never be in smash

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
anyone else here want to make choices based on limiting the amount of work the PMBR would have to put into making CE characters? roy has his shared animations, yet is still leagues apart from marth (i know he still took a fair amount of time to make tho). I just don't like the fact that some of the neat and somewhat wild movesets people are dreaming up are pretty much confirmed for being nightmarish to work on, and would take forever and a day to implement.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
anyone else here want to make choices based on limiting the amount of work the PMBR would have to put into making CE characters? roy has his shared animations, yet is still leagues apart from marth (i know he still took a fair amount of time to make tho). I just don't like the fact that some of the neat and somewhat wild movesets people are dreaming up are pretty much confirmed for being nightmarish to work on, and would take forever and a day to implement.
Yes.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Sure.

Dark Samus hype!

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
Yeah, thats why characters like dark Samus and Isaac wouldn't be too hard to work on. Isaac could easily borrow from Link and other Fire Emblem characters. a heavy Isaac could take from Ike while a lighter Isaac may feel similar to a Link-Marth hybrid. :colorful:

Shin F.

Smash Master
exactly.

dark samus, sami, lyn, knuckles (the first sonic rival) and isaac all seem like optimal choices for me.
I don't really see Lyn and Isaac as good "Clone" candidates. Excellent characters, yes, but only as their own character. Just because there are other sword users that might provide a base doesn't mean much when you consider the different styles they bring. Wielding a katana is very different from wielding the western-styled swords the other characters use and would require their own animations, which is where most of the time in constructing a new character goes. Isaac is typically shown using a sword more in line with what the others use, but you wouldn't really be able to do him justice without implementing his Psynergy, which is bound to be fairly complex.

There was a list someone made in this thread of the easiest to the hardest characters to create based on how clone-like they would be, and cmart agreed with the list. I'm going to see if I can find it.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I don't really see Lyn and Isaac as good "Clone" candidates. Excellent characters, yes, but only as their own character. Just because there are other sword users that might provide a base doesn't mean much when you consider the different styles they bring. Wielding a katana is very different from wielding the western-styled swords the other characters use and would require their own animations, which is where most of the time in constructing a new character goes. Isaac is typically shown using a sword more in line with what the others use, but you wouldn't really be able to do him justice without implementing his Psynergy, which is bound to be fairly complex.

There was a list someone made in this thread of the easiest to the hardest characters to create based on how clone-like the would be, and cmart agreed with the list for the most part. I'm going to see if I can find it.
I agree. Plus, Link should not deserve to be cloned. He already has Toon Link as a pseudoclone.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I found it. Turns out, it was our very own JCOnyx.
List of possible Clone Engine candidates based on ease of creation:

- Dark Samus
- Ninten
- Shadow (If he remains extremely similar to Sonic, meaning no projectiles like guns or chaos magic)
- Knuckles
- Pichu (Based on Roy's implementation, I'm positive her workload would be a little more then people are estimating)
- Telda

- Micaiah (Because of her using Tomes, I've decided that her animations would most likely have to deviate some from Zelda's)
- Claus/Masked Man
- Liquid Snake (Can much more closely resemble Snake, animation wise compared to Sami/Andy. Would still require a pretty elaborate model to be made though)
- Bowser Jr. (hasn't moved because of peoples want to give him the paint stick, which would require more than just giving him Bowser's moveset, but could be a tier lower if they decided to do just that)
- Hector

- Sami/Andy (Their animations would probably have to be tweaked more so than Liquid due to their different body sizes and proportions)
- Tetra (It depends on how they'd want to make this character. She could be one rank higher if she had an extremely similar moveset like Tink or Shiek, but I don't see that happening)
- Lip (Would require a creative moveset, could be a challenge. Could possibly play more like Lucas or Ness to lessen the workload)
- Lyn (She could be more of a challenge if they decide to incorporate her iaido style swordplay. Even if they make the model from scratch, they have a decent base to follow)
- Samurai Goroh (Would require a creative moveset, could be a challenge. Even if they make the model from scratch, they have a decent base to follow)
- Waluigi (Would require a creative moveset, could be a challenge. Even if they make the model from scratch, they have a decent base to follow)

- Tails (Flight animations and balancing a speedy character who can possibly float cancel, definitely a challenge)
- Black Shadow/Ganondorf (Even though they'd just have to create a model for Black Shadow, creating Dorfs sword moveset would be a challenge. This also implies that they are working on two characters at once, which is a pain)
- Krystal (First ever staff user, would be a challenge since they have no animations to base hers off of)
- Toad (Would require a creative moveset, could be a challenge. Just porting him over Mario would look extremely awkward, as his arms are tiny and all of the punching moves would be off because of this. Would require a lot of new animations then people are estimating)
- Tom Nook (Would require a creative moveset, could be a challenge. Animations would have to be made from scratch, but aren't as difficult as some of the higher tiers)
- Kamek (Would require a creative moveset, could be a challenge. Animations would have to be made from scratch, but aren't as difficult as some of the higher tiers)
- Saki (Possibly much more of a challenge, but could potentially resemble Pit more so than I originally thought)

- Dixie (The hair would be quite a challenge, especially involving grabs and pummels. Animating it wouldn't be easy either)
- Skull Kid (Would require a creative moveset, and his animations could potentially be extremely difficult. They could just make them look bat**** crazy though and it would work for the character)
- Ridley (Animating winged character's is never easy, and creating a suitable model with fluid animations would be a challenge. The workload could be a little less if they try to make him resemble Charizard as closely as possible, but the same could be said about the opposite)

- Mach Rider (Possible projectiles, bike riding, and whip/tethers would be a challenge)
- Sukapon (Even if the model would be simple, creating such a unique moveset would be a challenge. Also, unorthodox hit-boxes and has no real base to work from. All animations would be made from scratch, even if they base some of his moves off of other characters)
- Pokemon Trainer/Red (Would require a very creative moveset, and even though balancing isn't being brought up as much, a character who can possibly throw out random pokemon via pokeballs would be a nightmare. Because of people's varying concepts, wanting pokemon to appear for certain attacks, among other things, animating all of this could be extremely challenging)
- Paper Mario (Since people seem to want his moveset have his party members come in to help him, I've decided to place him here because of all the extra modeling work that would require or if that's even possible to begin with, he's basically in the same boat as Pokemon Trainer/Red)
- Boo (A character that is always floating... I expect this would be extremely challenging)
- King K. Rool (With his only possible base being DDD, and even that is far stretched, he would be extremely challenging)
- Issac (Moveset would require a lot of creativity, his psyenergy would be a challenge)

- Pulse & Minun (See Ice Climbers)

*new change list 11/27*
- New tiers added
- Micaiah bumped up 1 tier due to the possibilities of her tomes creating more challenges in animating her attacks.
- Sami/Andy, Tetra, Lip, Lyn, Goroh, and Waluigi have moved to the new Light Orange tier because of their deceptive difficulty, could potentially be Yellow or Orange.
- Skull Kid, Dixie, and Ridley has been moved to the new Dark Orange tier because of their deceptive difficulty, could potentially be Orange or Red.
- Saki moved down 2 tiers due to possibilities of more closely resembling Pit and taking balancing out of the equation
- Pulse & Minun have a tier of difficulty all to themselves

*old change list 11/26*
- Black Shadow/Ganondorf moved up 1 tier due to possible challenges creating a decent sword moveset for Dorf

Please note that characters within each tier are not in any particular order.
Thanks for being receptive to feedback. I would agree with this list now, without any meaningful objections.
So - if you want a list of the easiest possible Clone candidates to the hardest (from around page 100), there it is, with a PMBR who agrees with it to show that it's at least somewhat accurate.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
You make a good point. I can see them doing one or maybe two more unique characters, max, but that's about it.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Wielding a katana is very different from wielding the western-styled swords the other characters use and would require their own animations

absolutley. but lyndis very easily lends herself to using attacks that don't utilize her sword. she could easily steal several tilts and airials from other characters.

note that i do believe there should still be unique moves and animations for clone engine characters, but if they have the assets, it's a no-brainer to re-use them to save some time for some of them. isaac with some sword attacks taken from link but some specials for his psynergy made from scratch sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom