• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Anyone put any thought into new assist trophies? Considering if, say, Isaac were made playable, who would take his place as a trophy?

My vote goes to Chibi Robo. I think he's too obscure to be a playable character (yes, more obscure than Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and ROB), but deserves honorary representation as an assist.
This has been discussed, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say Felix or someone would replace Isaac. Either that or they would completely be rid of the trophy altogether.

Though it would be cool to see obscure characters get at the very least assist trophies.

Edit: Shedinja'd

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It hasn't affected their choice in costumes, stages, or music at all.
...-Solbliminal begins to realize-
ooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOMG!!!

Shin!!! you are totally right!! FFFFFF!!! I would flip my lid if we got some really left field Indie Game stages and music like stuff from Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet and such. That would be insane! Maybe it is a pipe dream, but it is a gorgeous pipe dream that will likely never happen in an official version of Smash. Plz...PMBR, I will collect my tears in a jar if I have to. Make it happen!!!

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
They're only concerned about that for playable characters, as far as I can tell. It hasn't affected their choice in costumes, stages, or music at all.
PMBR seems to be backtracking on costume rules too. Original rule was that characters could only have costumes that were from their own game series.

Then we got Koopa Troopa Squirtle and all hell broke loose

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
PMBR seems to be backtracking on costume rules too. Original rule was that characters could only have costumes that were from their own game series.

But Koopa Squirt Squirt was way before Alt's were announced.
And it's only a recolor.

Shin F.

Smash Master
And it's only a recolor.
And it was a recolor suggestion that made Nano tell us "no outside references," so it being just a recolor is no excuse. I stand by what I said before - this rule makes no sense because they already broke it.

Not quite the same thing we're talking about, here. The rule for characters we're talking about is the one that says a character must be in Brawl to be considered. This is not a rule for costumes, stages or music. Or if it is, it's one they break a lot. Things like the Light Suit, Sigurd, Skyloft, Dracula's Castle, and the Skyward Sword Theme aren't in Brawl, but they were fine for putting into PM.

They do have the "rule" that a character's costumes can't reference something outside their series of origin, but that's fairly different.

All that said, it's possible that Assist Trophy replacements can be characters that weren't in Brawl.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
And it's only a recolor.
We have proof of a PMBR member admitting it's a Koopa Troopa reference though. Which is out of the mon' universe, and supposedly against the rules

EDIT: Shin that was the rule i was referencing, I wasn't clear enough

Last edited:

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
Anyone put any thought into new assist trophies? Considering if, say, Isaac were made playable, who would take his place as a trophy?

My vote goes to Chibi Robo. I think he's too obscure to be a playable character (yes, more obscure than Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and ROB), but deserves honorary representation as an assist.
"Leave it to me!"
But I would be so happy if Alfonzo took the place of playable characters that were assist trophies in brawl. Even if he did the same moves as them and was just a model swap, I think it would be a perfect fit.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Missed 10 pages.

I'm gonna play the "guess what I missed game"

"+1 muh villains"
"-1 all sanic reps"
"-1 all pokemon"
"+1 jimmy because quirky"
"+1 to rep that doesn't appear in brawl"

someone tell me how accurate is this list.

Last edited:

Ginge

Smash Ace
Well, maybe their justification is that:

A palette swap to match a different game ≠ an alt costume from a different game.

So maybe they'd be okay recoloring Charizard to have Ridley colors. But making a Charizard *Alt Costume* that looked like Ridley would be a no-go.

Missed 10 pages.

I'm gonna play the "guess what I missed game"

"+1 muh villains"
"-1 all sanic reps"
"-1 all pokemon"
"+1 jimmy because quirky"
"+1 to rep that doesn't appear in brawl"

someone tell me how accurate is this list.
The problem with asking something like this is that I barely remember what happened 2 pages ago. I log in once or twice a day and read the page or two I missed. Pretty sure I actually may have seen a +1 to sonic reps, though, oddly enough. And I don't think the "rep that doesn't appear in brawl" got a vote. Just a "Is _____ okay for clone engine" and a lot of "Why isn't ______ listed on the front page?"

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well, maybe their justification is that:

A palette swap to match a different game ≠ an alt costume from a different game.

So maybe they'd be okay recoloring Charizard to have Ridley colors. But making a Charizard *Alt Costume* that looked like Ridley would be a no-go.
Like I said, they made it clear that it applies to all references outside their series, even recolors. It was when we were talking about a palette swap that they gave the rule. In particular, a Mewtwo recolor to reference Giygas in Earthbound Zero. No costume, no model edits - just a recolor. They said it wouldn't happen because it references another series, and Nanobuds even said the Koopa Troopa recolor was just a coincidence when I brought it up. Of course, looking back at their blogpost that Arc found shows that it wasn't a coincidence. They had broken this rule before they even made it.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
The most recent results were actually pretty recent, but we've reached the next voter mark and are preparing for another update real soon.

I'm on mobile, so finding the results will take a bit. I'll edit it into this post when I do.

June 15th were the last results.
Is this the most up-to-date listing? If yes, then any notes on how Takamaru's faring?

Ginge

Smash Ace
Like I said, they made it clear that it applies to all references outside their series, even recolors. It was when we were talking about a palette swap that they gave the rule. In particular, a Mewtwo recolor to reference Giygas in Earthbound Zero. No costume, no model edits - just a recolor. They said it wouldn't happen because it references another series, and Nanobuds even said the Koopa Troopa recolor was just a coincidence when I brought it up. Of course, looking back at their blogpost that Arc found shows that it wasn't a coincidence. They had broken this rule before they even made it.
Oh right.... I vaguely recall that coming up months back in discussion....

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
So i just read the OP.......no Primid....... Ive been gone for a day or two and i see that no one has been repping my boy Primid. Even tho it is kind of weird since it didn't say nun about Primid being in the Sanic class or anything like that ........weird

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
So i just read the OP.......no Primid....... Ive been gone for a day or two and i see that no one has been repping my boy Primid. Even tho it is kind of weird since it didn't say nun about Primid being in the Sanic class or anything like that ........weird
Characters only get put in to the OP if they have gotten 10 votes total, which is something I doubt Primid has.
Also, I don't think they have updated it yet

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
Characters only get put in to the OP if they have gotten 10 votes total, which is something I doubt Primid has.
Also, I don't think they have updated it yet
I am actually pretty sure Primid has more than 10 votes and anyway I was looking back in the pages (like 1st page) and a lot of people used up all there votes in one post...... Poor them

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
"Leave it to me!"
But I would be so happy if Alfonzo took the place of playable characters that were assist trophies in brawl. Even if he did the same moves as them and was just a model swap, I think it would be a perfect fit.
They actually removed Alfonzo from the train, and conductor Tink. They weren't there at all during the stream.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly, he does and he will be in the next update whenever Anti Guy has the time to do so. (We already have it fully ready - it's just waiting to go up now.)
*Sees that Anti Guy is viewing thread*

*repeatedly refreshes the OP expectantly*

Last edited:

Ginge

Smash Ace
Most of the people who vote stop by the thread to vote, maybe stick around for a few pages, then leave to never be seen again. So it makes sense for them to use all of their votes in one post Super_Primid. Still others figured they knew all the possible candidates that they'd fully support and would be hyped for. Sure they may kick themselves later, but it's whatever. I used all five of my full votes in one post, but I don't regret any of my choices and still stand by them.

Besides, even if half votes "don't count as much", they're still listed. So it's shown in the rankings that they have positive support. So even if the score for a character you like is lower than it could be, honestly, 1/2 vs 1 isn't going to make a huge difference.

The only downside from this is that characters, movesets, etc proposed NOW (such as your Primid suggestion or any of the other newer entries) will always suffer from lack of being even considered to the people voting hundreds of pages ago. So it's not so much feeling bad for the voters, but instead the characters that show up late and get pity 1/2s from everyone ("Sure, why not? +1/2 to Condor" type posts).

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Most of the people who vote stop by the thread to vote, maybe stick around for a few pages, then leave to never be seen again. So it makes sense for them to use all of their votes in one post Super_Primid. Still others figured they knew all the possible candidates that they'd fully support and would be hyped for. Sure they may kick themselves later, but it's whatever. I used all five of my full votes in one post, but I don't regret any of my choices and still stand by them.

Besides, even if half votes "don't count as much", they're still listed. So it's shown in the rankings that they have positive support. So even if the score for a character you like is lower than it could be, honestly, 1/2 vs 1 isn't going to make a huge difference.

The only downside from this is that characters, movesets, etc proposed NOW (such as your Primid suggestion or any of the other newer entries) will always suffer from lack of being even considered to the people voting hundreds of pages ago. So it's not so much feeling bad for the voters, but instead the characters that show up late and get pity 1/2s from everyone ("Sure, why not? +1/2 to Condor" type posts).
You dont pity vote for Condor
We all know everyone secretly deep down wants him

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Solbliminal, wtf is that picture...It's like Amy Rose and Krystal fused together :crazy:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Solbliminal, wtf is that picture...It's like Amy Rose and Krystal fused together :crazy:
Funny, but the character is actually better than both of them. #ShotsFired

It is the main character of Freedom Planet, Sash Lilac, and it is an Easter Egg. After making so many save files as Lilac, she will make this death stare at you on the save file portrait.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Funny, but the character is actually better than both of them. #ShotsFired

It is the main character of Freedom Planet, Sash Lilac, and it is an Easter Egg. After making so many save files as Lilac, she will make this death stare at you on the save file portrait.
Looking at the game right now and it looks nice. I'm going to try the demo :)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Looking at the game right now and it looks nice. I'm going to try the demo :)
#CompletelyUnintentionallyAdvertisedThisGame

Lets stay relevant to the topic of the thread though. Feel free to private message me if you would like to talk more about it.

Malion

Smash Ace
When we say 10 votes do we mean 10 whole votes or just votes from 10 people?

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
'Is mach rider a candidate? I'm trying to remmber if the trophy I'm thinking about is only in melee

Shin F.

Smash Master
Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Since he was deconfirmed today, and I prefer him as a katana user over Lyn personally, +1/2 to Takamaru.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
My 1/2 to Takamaru still stands right? I want to give him a full vote so bad, why did I jump the gun and give Ridley a full? =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom