• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
This place has become a graveyard for horses you all have beaten to death.

You know that feeling when someone intentionally talks about a dead relative in your family and they have no idea what they are saying is causing an emotional uproar inside of you? That is what it feels like watching this horse being beaten to death and beyond.

Now go think about your lives.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
This place has become a graveyard for horses you all have beaten to death.

You know that feeling when someone intentionally talks about a dead relative in your family and they have no idea what they are saying is causing an emotional uproar inside of you? That is what it feels like watching this horse being beaten to death and beyond.

Now go think about your lives.
It's remarkable seeing even new people like Darkmask go through the motions we've seen a million times already.

The cycle will never cease...unless the PMBR announces another character.

Make it happen based PMBR.

Not that THAT desire isn't cyclical either. How many times have I told myself that within the past month :dizzy:

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It's remarkable seeing even new people like Darkmask go through the motions we've seen a million times already.

The cycle will never cease...unless the PMBR announces another character.

Make it happen based PMBR.

Not that THAT desire isn't cyclical either. How many times have I told myself that within the past month :dizzy:
Other than having a life filled with issues to attend to, why do you think I've been gone? I'd rather save myself the trouble of fighting Ridfirm Conley, armed with flame shield and salt sword.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hmmm, think it may actually be time to get a mod to lock this place? It really is going nowhere and I don't even think reviving the voting would help at this point.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
TBH I think there is going to be an announcement sometime soon. Even the PMBR seem a little restless giving little hints at what's to come recently on the boards and in the PM subreddit. It's been around half a year since the last update, and if we look back and see the time between updates of previous installments it's only a matter of time. Also, I don't know if any PMBR are attending college atm, but finals are finishing up and more time is opening up for students with summer just around the corner (you know, as long as they aren't working retail or are taking summer classes lol).

The problem is you get people freaking out about whatever we're pondering, and it puts us in a weird position where we're basically needing to draft PR statements and debate repeatedly over things we're still experimenting with and whatnot. It can actually detract a lot from development time, not to mention turn people off prematurely based on what they see vs. how it actually plays. Extensive debate can also be extremely tiring/draining, and honestly sucks a lot of time for morale. Morale for us basically = productivity. We already have plenty of debate amongst ourselves, trust me.

Talking openly about future balance/design tweaks also discourages people from making the best of the game as it is, as people will just be waiting for whatever's around the corner.

We have a lot of stuff planned here in the future. Most people will like it, some won't. Some will complain very, very loudly. The game will be better in the long run, but we need the ability to buckle-down and do our own stuff right now.

3.02 Should speak for itself anyways. You wanna know what's coming up in the future? A better Project M. :alakadoof:

Plus numerous PMBR members are around on Smashboards, and even out there in the tournament scene. We're generally available, even if we're fairly busy.
With this comment I have a strong feeling a controversial character may be announced in the next update. It could just be something as controversial as spacie nerfs or Zelda nerfs (pls god no, especially Zelda), but perhaps the rumors of Knuckles might actually be true. Or dare I even bring it up, Pichu.

This post is by no means an attempt to get this thread back on track, but just a friendly reminder we might not have to wait too much longer till we have some juicy new information.

Hmmm, think it may actually be time to get a mod to lock this place? It really is going nowhere and I don't even think reviving the voting would help at this point.
TBH I've thought of this on occasion as well, but I don't think it's necessary just yet, especially with news most likely incoming soon that might stir this place up again.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Maybe they can lock it, then open it up again when (if) the PMBR announces a new character.

I wouldn't mind.

Edit: even though JCOnyx made his well-made argument not to lock it.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Look at kirby. He was the character that was right above Pichu on the tier list and I've seen so many people say wonderful things about Project M Kirby. Some people think he is even overpowered now. That's because they buffed his bad tools which made his original tools stand out even more.

In all seriousness though, as I said, it's fine if you like Pichu, more power to you. Maybe they can remake him to be a high risk, high reward character in opposition to his high risk, low reward Melee gameplay, I don't know. I can't really say Pichu should not be in P:M, I just say I don't like him personally, that's all.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I would search every NOOK and cranny for something we haven't talked about, but whats the point?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
TBH I think there is going to be an announcement sometime soon. Even the PMBR seem a little restless giving little hints at what's to come recently on the boards and in the PM subreddit. It's been around half a year since the last update, and if we look back and see the time between updates of previous installments it's only a matter of time. Also, I don't know if any PMBR are attending college atm, but finals are finishing up and more time is opening up for students with summer just around the corner (you know, as long as they aren't working retail or are taking summer classes lol).

With this comment I have a strong feeling a controversial character may be announced in the next update. It could just be something as controversial as spacie nerfs or Zelda nerfs (pls god no, especially Zelda), but perhaps the rumors of Knuckles might actually be true. Or dare I even bring it up, Pichu.

This post is by no means an attempt to get this thread back on track, but just a friendly reminder we might not have to wait too much longer till we have some juicy new information.

TBH I've thought of this on occasion as well, but I don't think it's necessary just yet, especially with news most likely incoming soon that might stir this place up again.
Maybe they can lock it, then open it up again when (if) the PMBR announces a new character.

I wouldn't mind.

Edit: even though JCOnyx made his well-made argument not to lock it.
I would search every NOOK and cranny for something we haven't talked about, but whats the point?
I'M READY FOR ANYTHING!!!

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
The faster we're fallin' we're stoppin' and stallin' we're runnin' in circles again.

Sum-41? No?

I don't care what happens. A lock could be beneficiary.

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
you know what I just thought of. Okay so you know how in melee adventure mode they have the redeads. Well if they do the black shadow / ganondorf swap then a cool down B for ganondorf would be to summon a redead from the ground in front of him. Now that would be cool. (but almost impossible to code.)

This is one of the liveliest PM threads there is. Locking it would be bad. They should sticky it.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Agree with this. Locking this thread won't do it any justice. If some :079:smash player just now finds out about Pm's clone engine working and decides he wants to put his "awesome" idea for a character that totally hasn't been suggested already, where would he do so? With this thread locked he would be forced to invade other threads or create new pointless ones. He could go post it on YouTube or Reddit but if he had some common sense he would know that he'd have better success doing it here.

Although nobody who thinks shadow should be in has common sense.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Isaac, Ridley and Lyn are the most preferred characters. Other runners up include Sukapon, Skull Kid, Dark Samus, Ray, Sami/Andy, Saki, Dixie, Krystal, Ninten, Masked Man and just recently Slippy. At the sound of "Pichu" men arm themselves with flame shield and salt sword ready to battle to the death in a never ending gladiator style discussion so we tend to not talk about it.

Other things...
Ridfirm Conley
Alakadoof
Condor Nation
Skull Kid Hype
4/28 Blaze it
Ridley still 2 big
Link not stronk enough

Reasoning behind character choice is usually some order of the following:

- Moveset Potential
- Series Representation
- Popularity

So for me i find that Moveset Potential > Representation = Popularity

Of course this isn't everyone's order of importance or reasons for choosing a character but i think these are the most common around here.

Mother characters are starting to get some love so if another poll were to happen i wouldn't be surprised if Ninten/Masked Man moved up.
Slippy is being talked about as being added as a joke character.
Female Representation used to be a reason for including a character but it kinda died. #brosb4hos

Just recently we were talking about whether the thread should be locked temporarily or not because no one new showed up and there isn't much to talk about.

I made the suggestion to work on move set ideas because the only notable one i knew about as of now was the Ninten and Sukapon moveset. (I think there is a masked man, skull kid and ray moveset floating around somewhere)

So....I think that's about it.

tl;dr - don't talk about pichu and you should be ok

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I made the suggestion to work on move set ideas because the only notable one i knew about as of now was the Ninten moveset. (I think there is a masked man, skull kid and ray moveset floating around somewhere)
Might I direct you here.

Another for which the connection to Sukapon is more tenuous.
The idea expands upon how many character's ftilts and fsmashes, as well as Metaknight's dair, have different angled versions. If Sukapon is to be precision-based, having greater control of her attacks would be entirely appropriate, and the independent nature of her pieces would make complex variations of the same general move a breeze. On the other hand, too much freedom would actually dilute the original form of precision spacing as gameplay becomes simply "press towards opponent and hit A." Hence, more significant differences for the player to take into account when choosing between angles may be needed to reestablish thoughtful aim. Here I try to convey models of many such methods for differentiation.
This necessitated creative liscense of moves, so I had some fun with it. They're not intended to form a coherent moveset, so regard them only insofar as they exemplify the ideas, which could transplanted onto any moves to any degree.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Here's a fresh idea, every is arguing about Tails (sidekick) or Shadow (antihero), but how about we go for an actual Sonic Villain?

Metal Sonic!

A fast and powerful heavyweight, taking parts of what already makes Sonic powerful, like speed and combos, and adding weight and ranged ability to him?

NWRL

Smash Ace
Let's add Sigurd. He has a spear and a fetish for his sister.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Here's a fresh idea, every is arguing about Tails (sidekick) or Shadow (antihero), but how about we go for an actual Sonic Villain?

Metal Sonic!

A fast and powerful heavyweight, taking parts of what already makes Sonic powerful, like speed and combos, and adding weight and ranged ability to him?
Well he is a potential candidate.

But while he is significantly different than the likes of other metal characters like Metal mario I think he falls in the same line...

I think it would be cool if when Sonic got a metal box he turned into Metal sonic though. While not really even possible in the sonic universe I think it would be clever and sneaky.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Well he is a potential candidate.

But while he is significantly different than the likes of other metal characters like Metal mario I think he falls in the same line...

I think it would be cool if when Sonic got a metal box he turned into Metal sonic though. While not really even possible in the sonic universe I think it would be clever and sneaky.
I think Metal Sonic has a lot of potential.

He has an impenetrable energy shield, ability to fire energy blasts, overload his circuits for a large area blast at the cost of damaging himself, jet speed, hovering, flight, and even a copying ability.

Maybe he could use Kirby as a base, as funny as it is to consider, and he can copy his opponents. As a boon over Kirby, Metal would attack as a medium creature as opposed to a small one, meaning his melee attacks won't be as inhibited, but as a drawback vs. Kirby, Metal copies enemies without swallowing them, limiting the use of his Copycat ability.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Metal Sonic!

You lost me at fast and powerful heavyweight. A character shouldn't have both speed and knock back resistance as notable attributes.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
You lost me at fast and powerful heavyweight. A character shouldn't have both speed and knock back resistance as notable attributes.
Being fast and heavy can have major downsides, if you go too fast and are a fast faller, you could run yourself right off the edge before you realize it, and with your weight, not have the ability to recover. Besides, it's just a base concept, obviously if MS somehow made it into P:M he would be playtasted with speed and weight calibrated to make him fair.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
The issue with it is in comp. play. If somebody mains Metal and learns his movement, chances are they won't be SDing. But a player playing against Metal is at a disadvantage, because speedy characters are typically harder to combo and get finishers on. If you manage to get a hit after an hour of dash dancing and it does absolutely nothing, frustration will rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom