• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Quick Up has a lot of potential as a move. I suppose that would be a better option.

I also thought that since 4th-D Slip is hard move to interpret in Smash, a Final Smash where he summons (which isn't a perfect verb in this situation) Ana and together they perform PK Beam, which is something talked about by Itoi and referenced in EB Zero's TV spot.
Did you see my sketches, by chance? I've got a pretty good 4th-S Slip interpretation sketched there as a recovery. Essentially, he would jump into a portal, which would then shrink down and be movable by the player, and then after a while he would jump back out at whatever location the player moved it to. And he could just use PK Beam himself. Ness and Lucas borrow moves from Paula and Kuma, no reason Ninten can't borrow Ana's.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Quick Up has a lot of potential as a move. I suppose that would be a better option.

I also thought that since 4th-D Slip is hard move to interpret in Smash, a Final Smash where he summons (which isn't a perfect verb in this situation) Ana and together they perform PK Beam, which is something talked about by Itoi and referenced in EB Zero's TV spot.
4th-D Slip isn't that hard to interpret. It's basically a teleport.

It could work like Mewtwo's, and also have its own unique properties.

Edit: Greninja'd

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Did you see my sketches, by chance? I've got a pretty good 4th-S Slip interpretation sketched there as a recovery. Essentially, he would jump into a portal, which would then shrink down and be movable by the player, and then after a while he would jump back out at whatever location the player moved it to. And he could just use PK Beam himself. Ness and Lucas borrow moves from Paula and Kuma, no reason Ninten can't borrow Ana's.
I have! And I think it's really awesome. I'm truthfully just throwing ideas out there.

And while yes, they do borrow moves, I've always thought it particularly cool that Itoi said Ninten can perform PK Beam while Ana performs it with him.

In truth your move set is flawless, I've just been replaying Mother and whenever I have an idea I dump it here just in case someone is interested.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
So then I would assume 4th-S Slip would cause Ninten to become helpless thereafter, since it effectly makes him invulnerable while in the closed portal? Or would Ninten still be vulnerable while the player moves the closed portal around? Like if it gets hit, it just pops him back out?

Also, do you envision that exiting the portal have a rocketing effect? Like Ness and Lucas have when hit with PK Thunder?

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
So then I would assume 4th-S Slip would cause Ninten to become helpless thereafter, since it effectly makes him invulnerable while in the closed portal? Or would Ninten still be vulnerable while the player moves the closed portal around? Like if it gets hit, it just pops him back out?

Also, do you envision that exiting the portal have a rocketing effect? Like Ness and Lucas have when hit with PK Thunder?
Obviously I can't speak for Shin, but I would see the best option be afterwards vulnerability. A rocket effect would make the move impossible to intercept, which I personally think is a little ridiculous. The move, as it sounds, is hard enough to follow from an opposing player's point of view. If someone is quick enough to get to 4th-D Slip's exit point, they ought to be rewarded, rather than hit in the face with a fast traveling pre-teen.

Edit: Also, maybe with Quick Up, rather than focusing PSI Energy like Lucas Ninten takes a long breath from his inhaler to prepare for the intense speed.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Obviously I can't speak for Shin, but I would see the best option be afterwards vulnerability. A rocket effect would make the move impossible to intercept, which I personally think is a little ridiculous. The move, as it sounds, is hard enough to follow from an opposing player's point of view. If someone is quick enough to get to 4th-D Slip's exit point, they ought to be rewarded, rather than hit in the face with a fast traveling pre-teen.

Edit: Also, maybe with Quick Up, rather than focusing PSI Energy like Lucas Ninten takes a long breath from his inhaler to prepare for the intense speed.
This is precisely what I was thinking regarding 4th-D Slip. He can't be hit while in the portal, but is vulnerable upon exit, either in fall or special fall. Perhaps the portal could have some slight knockback vulnerability so that its path can be manipulated slightly by enemies, but that's entirely optional.

As for Quick Up, it's a decent idea, but his asthma doesn't effect him unless he breathes in fumes or something so I don't think he would need to prepare for it.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Hey Shin, have you ever made a Waluigi moveset? It's Waluigi Time!
I made one, Shin made a Skull Kid moveset though, collaborating with other people.

Lemme find my moveset for WAAAA. I'll edit it into this post, hold up.

Edit: here you guys go.

I meant to post this yesterday but SmashBoards decided to update right as I hit Post Reply. Oh well.

View attachment 5490

So my Waluigi moveset's ready. Be warned, though--it all came to me in a dream induced by a crazy Mexican gypsy lady and her 1000-year-old libro de alucinaciones. Hope I ended up getting my severed monkey's head's worth--wrestling it out of an Egyptian mobster's grip is much harder than you think it is when you're only armed with a rope, a banana peel, a perfect D I C K Dastardly (spaces to avoid censoring) impression and a copy of the latest New York Times edition~

Overall philosophy behind Waluigi's playstyle

He'd basically be what Sakurai tried to do with vBrawl Wario: create one of the most trollish, wackiest, characters this side of Mr. Game & Watch, only with a lot of personality imbued into him. While he did succeed with his mission, it meant alienating many of Wario's signature abilities from his Wario Land, like basically all of his transformations (Fire Wario, Fat Wario, Zombie Wario)--any of which could've been implemented into his moveset a la Kirby having lots of his copy abilities in a single moveset. He also had his signature shoulder bash implemented weirdly as his side-smash, though I admit it fit his weirdness. All in all, Wario fans who liked doing those things were left in the dust with a character that sort of felt like Wario, but wasn't Wario.

Waluigi, though. Nobody knows who he is or what he does besides show up at sports and that he possesses a kickin' Mario Kart tune (Waluigi Pinball for life, baby) and a great remix of another game's tune (Destruction Dance is also fun dance time). He doesn't have his own game, so whatever we do with him can't misrepresent him no matter how crazy we get. He could be anything and nobody would have to be disappointed if he doesn't have Signature Attack X or Subtle Reference Y (but don't worry, I'll reference a few things). So after undergoing the gypsy's spell my mind ventured into whatever it wanted (bar anything the clone engine didn't permit--I held onto the Project M logo on my T-shirt to make sure the experience was grounded within actual possibility).

Something to keep in mind is that Waluigi moves kind of like Wario and G dubs in terms of the goal in his normal animations. Waluigi's body moves very fluidly, though--the difference is that instead of moving suddenly and sporadically he moves kind of like a spider. He's constantly flexing his arms and legs in very creepy ways. Like when he's walking it's a normal walk, but his "running" is just him taking very big steps. He'll still be janky though, as a lot of his creepiness comes from him suddenly extending his limbs. For added effect, most of his moves have him going "Waahh!" or "Waha!". Without further ado, my Waluigi moveset:

Specials

Eggplant Bomb (N-Special)

Waluigi throws an eggplant with a "Ha!". Where it lands and its trajectory depend on how long you hold B, similar to Snake's grenades. Unlike Snake's grenades, you can't move around while holding them. When it makes contact on the ground, the eggplant erupts into a purple vine covered in thorns for about one and a half seconds, leaving a hitbox that grows to the left and right of the impact point. Waluigi can only have two eggplants out at a time. If an eggplant hits someone instead of the ground it acts like Toon Link's bombs.

Waluigi Paddle (F-Special)

Waluigi swims through the air with high velocity going "Hrrrgh!" like his assist trophy yell. Think of it like R.O.B.'s side special when used on the ground, only it goes farther and the hitbox covers more since Waluigi's long body is horizontal during this move. It sends at a diagonally upward angle and can be cancelled on hit with anything except an air dodge.

Purple Power (D-Special)

Waluigi shoots purple fire (taken from the Darkness effect) out of his hands suddenly, with an assertive "Waa!". They're very powerful--lots of horizontal knockback. The flames don't have a lot of range and only last about half a second though, so early on they have to be used kind of like Squirtle's bubble, a gimping move. It becomes a reliable killing move at about 80% and higher.

Amethyst Rocket (U-Special)

Waluigi crouches and propels himself upward with the force of quickly extending all of his long gangly limbs, leaving purple fire in his wake. It's essentially a vertical version of Pikachu's Skull Bash, but it goes farther uncharged, can be angled left and right, and an opponent can't interrupt your recovery by being in your way since it knocks them away. If you charge it, you're only doing it to stall in the air like Diddy's U-Special, though charging it does mean more damage.

Normals

Jab: a 2-hit combo comprising of a snap of Waluigi's fingers followed by a far-reaching punch with the other hand. The snap emits purple fire in front of Waluigi, but there's a sweetspot on Waluigi's hands during the snap--connecting with it allows the opponent to be knocked into the punch's sweetspot, the fist, which allows the jab to send farther.

Dash Attack: Waluigi slides forward on one leg while stretching out with the other. Has good reach but little knockback.

F-Tilt: Waluigi thrusts a poking finger out suddenly after a few frames of him sticking out his head grinning--"Ha!". The head sticking out leaves him vulnerable and an easy target if you don't time the attack right, but it's worth it because the poke reaches very far since Waluigi's using his whole arm behind it, and it acts like a semi-spike.

D-Tilt: a quicker version of f-tilt but with half the range and it doesn't spike. He uses his leg instead.

U-Tilt: quickly waves his arm over his head. A good juggling move.

F-Smash: Waluigi brings his arms down hard, going "Hrrgh!". It's one of his few grounded disjointed attacks, so make good use of its range.

D-Smash: Waluigi gets on his head and he spins with his arms and legs stretched all the way out, covering his left and right admirably. "Waha!"

U-Smash: Waluigi extends his arms skyward, like Wario's u-tilt as a smash attack. "Wa!"

Grabs

Waluigi's long limbs mean he has a grab range rivaling King Dedede. With that in mind:

Pummel: Waluigi thrusts his knee into his captive, using the purple flames for an added effect.

F-Throw: Waluigi punches the opponent into a diagonal angle, so it's a good throw for combos.

B-Throw: Essentially Kirby's back throw. What's Waluigi without a wrestling move? "Wahaha!"

D-Throw: Waluigi does a ton of kicks to the opponent on the ground like what his assist trophy does, before releasing the opponent. Good for racking up damage. "Hrrgh!"

U-Throw: He tosses the opponent above him as he crouches, then quickly extends his whole body for a powerful headbutt. "Wa!". Like forward throw it's good for combos.

Aerials

N-air: Waluigi spins around with his limbs outstretched like Kirby. He has the most range of that kind of move.

F-Air: Essentially a vertical version of Captain Falcon's knee attack, and just as powerful. It has less range though, but if it's sweetspotted, you hear the same electricity sound and Waluigi gives his most enthusiastic "Waah!"

B-Air: a roundhouse kick like Lucas used to have, but not as powerful and has more range.

D-Air: Waluigi faces his body downward and dives down. Good for getting back to the ground quickly, it's like Zero Suit Samus' Brawl down aerial.

U-Air: swings his body above him like Mario's up aerial.

Obviously I made this moveset for fun, I don't expect anyone to like it or anyone to take it seriously, but I'd love if Waluigi was added in with similar wackiness. What do you guys think of this Waluigi? I think the character has a lot of malleability to be anyone the moveset creator wishes it could be.
Made this back in December. Ah, nostalgia.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I was actually thinking for WAAAluigi's Side Special, he could use his thorn whip from Strikers Charged, in a sweeping arc whip of thorns, also as a tether, so that between his floatiness, long limbs, and whip tether he's be one of the best side recovery characters, you can't keep Waluigi away! Side smash? TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME!

Also, for the side special whip, if used on the ground and charged, instead of whipping, Waluigi would send out a ground crawling burst of thorns that travel across the ground like Pikachu's Thundershock.

Also you forgot the most fun part! WALUIGI TAUNTS!

Up Taunt: "WAH!" Waluigi stomps his foot and goes WAAAAAAA ... you can hold hold the taunt button to make it last for as long as you want, annoy your friends with an endless WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (etc.)

Side Taunt: "It's Wauigi Time!" Luigi does a happy jig in a circle before he fist bumps the air, based on his Mario Party happy poses.

Down Taunt: "Wa-wa-WA!" Luigi wants you to suck it! Based on his Strikers victory pose.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about the Ninten moveset and came up with a unique idea for his inhaler taunt. Using the inhaler could activate an alternate dash animation that executes a different dash attack. After the dash attack is used he must use the inhaler again to get the dash animation/attack. The 2 different dash attacks wouldn't be better or worse to each other but could have different uses i.e. one is better as a combo starter and the other is better for tech chasing. The animation wouldn't change his stats at all but it would make him run differently. I thought the base run would look kinda like a jog while the inhaler run would look like a full on charge. As a gimmick it would be give him a bit of personality and be a creative addition to his moveset.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I was thinking about the Ninten moveset and came up with a unique idea for his inhaler taunt. Using the inhaler could activate an alternate dash animation that executes a different dash attack. After the dash attack is used he must use the inhaler again to get the dash animation/attack. The 2 different dash attacks wouldn't be better or worse to each other but could have different uses i.e. one is better as a combo starter and the other is better for tech chasing. The animation wouldn't change his stats at all but it would make him run differently. I thought the base run would look kinda like a jog while the inhaler run would look like a full on charge. As a gimmick it would be give him a bit of personality and be a creative addition to his moveset.
I like it. Especially now that it's in the right thread. :p

I definitely think his inhaler should do something. Your ideas pretty cool.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I was thinking about Slippy's chances... and hear me out now, I think he's highly likely.

Pros.
-An effective joke character that's not Pichu
-A good play on of how Project: M actually got started i.e. making your top tiers into joke tier.
-A generally interesting idea

Cons.
-A hated character by quite a bit of the fanbase
-Could be receive negative reactions
-He's Slippy :p

Alright well, there are my thoughts.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about Slippy's chances... and hear me out now, I think he's highly likely.

Pros.
-An effective joke character that's not Pichu
-A good play on of how Project: M actually got started i.e. making your top tiers into joke tier.
-A generally interesting idea

Cons.
-A hated character by quite a bit of the fanbase
-Could be receive negative reactions
-He's Slippy :p

Alright well, there are my thoughts.

I think slippy has a chance honestly. I think Krystal's chances are better but slippy does have a chance.

Side note: I think being "hated" or "liked" should stop being listed as cons and/or pros respectively. What's more important is how important the character is and what they can bring to the table.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I just don't want another freaking Spacie. If he's a Samus or Snake clone, fine, but if he's another Fox clone I'm not even sure if I'll bother updating to the new PM if he's the only addition. If he just ends up another Spacie, even a joke character making fun of them, then he's a waste of a slot.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I just don't want another freaking Spacie. If he's a Samus or Snake clone, fine, but if he's another Fox clone I'm not even sure if I'll bother updating to the new PM if he's the only addition. If he just ends up another Spacie, even a joke character making fun of them, then he's a waste of a slot.
To be fair, I'm sure there's people here who feel the exact same way about having another Earthbounder.

Anyway ...

TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME!

Shin F.

Smash Master
To be fair, I'm sure there's people here who feel the exact same way about having another Earthbounder.

Anyway ...

TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME!
And they're quite welcome to that opinion, but it's not about the character or the series they're from. It's about the moveset he would have. I just don't want another character with a base moveset that is already cloned. At least most other characters have their own unique moves. If Slippy's just a 3rd/4th character with the same exact moveset, he's a waste. If he's a clone of a character that doesn't have one, like Samus or Snake, then he's fine. I would be just as against another Marth clone, or another Link clone.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Just to share some thoughts about Dark Samus, i think it could be a good idea to use her SSB4 animations(at least three animations have been seen) because it could be a good start to have an idea on how some of her move could look with that "2D feel". Plus it looks straight badass.
As some ideas about her moveset that i shared some pages ago, more specifically her specials:

B – Scatter Shot:

DownB – Crystal Wall:

This one looks more like a counter, rather than a reflector, but how about a combination with reflector and counter properties? is that possible or fair?

And the third one could be either a taunt, or winning animation:

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Wolf is so far from a clone.
Honestly, I'd love another spacie, they seem to become more fun as the speed of my fingers increase.

5 spacies.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Wolf is so far from a clone.
Honestly, I'd love another spacie, they seem to become more fun as the speed of my fingers increase.

5 spacies.
Fox + Falco + Slippy would still be 3 characters with the same base moveset. More than 2 is too much. Part of what makes Smash awesome and unique is just how much personality each character has and how individual they are. If this goes on, the Fighting Alloys and the Primids are going to be less generic than the Spacie archetype. Having one or two characters with it is fine, but when you add too many, you make it overkill. It takes away from the uniqueness of every single character that has that moveset. The more characters who share the same moves, the more bland every single one of them are. Imagine if every Smash character was just a Spacie. It'd be boring and not even worth playing. The more characters you add with the same base moveset, the more bloated, unoriginal, and boring it becomes.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
TBH, I'd love to see the PM:BR put the Brawl Falco on someone (Leon?) and meleefy them.
Pipe dream, but I do feel there is room for one more potential spacie on the level of brilliance as Wolf.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
TBH, I'd love to see the PM:BR put the Brawl Falco on someone (Leon?) and meleefy them.
Pipe dream, but I do feel there is room for one more potential spacie on the level of brilliance as Wolf.
I just feel very strongly that the Spacies already have more characters using its fighting style than any others. It makes the style generic and bland when so many characters have it. Let other styles have some room to shine. (No pun intended.) [Slippy as Samus clone but with Shine as down B.]

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I count three spacies and two wannabes in the form of children with soulless black eyes.
Honestly, while some playstyles may be overdone, I just like how a few different properties can offer totally different playstyles.

Spacies are pretty unique in that regard.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I count three spacies and two wannabes in the form of children with soulless black eyes.
Honestly, while some playstyles may be overdone, I just like how a few different properties can offer totally different playstyles.

Spacies are pretty unique in that regard.
That is precisely why the other playstyles need to be explored more. Spacies have been explored more than any other playstyle, and yes, they do vary because of the little differences. Now let's see how other playstyles can become greatly different with just some small tweaks.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I understand your point. I think you value these five slots a lot more then I, as I really only want one character honestly, so these slots seem more valuable for you.

Meanwhile... well I just like how one can take a base an interpret it in such different ways. It's addicting to explore

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'd like a Pikachu clone, honestly :troll:

Naw but while I understand Pichu has his fans, I've desired to play a heavy, slow, but very powerful Pikachu for a very long time. Which is why when Melee came out and I saw that both Mario and Link got clones, I was hoping for a heavy Pikachu in that game since Pikachu was really nimble and quick in that game (and all the Smash games I guess).

But nah, we got a much lighter (Pikachu was ALREADY light), faster (Pikachu was ALREADY fast), weaker clone with only three or four good things and everything else was garbage. And it's because Melee that we'll never get to see Raichu in a Smash game.

But eh, other than that I'm fine with the clone distribution so far. I wouldn't mind a Samus clone, at least (Dark Samus doesn't sound bad, though I'd like her to be sort of a half-clone instead of a close clone like Falco or Roy).

Shin F.

Smash Master
I understand your point. I think you value these five slots a lot more then I, as I really only want one character honestly, so these slots seem more valuable for you.

Meanwhile... well I just like how one can take a base an interpret it in such different ways. It's addicting to explore
Yes, these five slots are supremely valuable. And sure, I get what you're saying, but you don't need a new character for every possible variation of the same moveset. Too much of a good thing can kill it.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Yes, these five slots are supremely valuable. And sure, I get what you're saying, but you don't need a new character for every possible variation of the same moveset. Too much of a good thing can kill it.
This. I honestly didn't mind Wolf, but I DID mind how that meant we still don't have a Star Fox character that doesn't play like Fox. I'll even take Slippy using the weapons from Star Fox Assault's foot missions, just stop limiting your imagination with this awesome sci-fi franchise, Sak.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I miss the good ol' Melee days when peeps appreciated 3 clones
I don't think anyone appreciated Dr. Mario.

He was a dumb choice for another Mario clone (why not Toad or another character who hung out with Mario? Why Mario in a different outfit?), and he rendered vanilla Mario obselete since he was just overall better for the most part.

Project M made the right move by fusing the two together.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
To clear something up, I don't mind if we get 3 variations of a single moveset like with Mario in Melee or Fox in Brawl.

But 3 should be the max.

I'd SEETHE if we got yet ANOTHER Fox variation. Give the clone treatment to other characters that have interesting bases like Samus or Snake or Sonic or other characters like them.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Just cooked up a fresh batch of ideas thanks to the lively discussion. Hopefully they strike well with you but if not....pfft

If Krystal makes it in with her staff moveset, she can have brawl falco's reflector kick as a :GCD::GCB: which would be the most unique shine and a hat tip to brawl players. The reflector kick would fit well with her if she's made to be more mobile all around than previous spacies.

Now let's see how other playstyles can become greatly different with just some small tweaks.
I'm not the most diehard of Ridley advocates but if he were in i would pull for him to be based off of donkey kong with emphasis on the air game with a possible aerial grab. I'm really curious to see what an aerial grab based game play style would be like and i think ridley fits that perfectly out of all the potential candidates.

Personally though, I'd love to see another character with a whip like weapon which is partially why I'm hoping for ninten and his awesome yoyo. Moveset could be like zss' combined with marth's slapped on a mother char. Idk about you guys but that sounds like a winning combination to me...

I'd like a Pikachu clone, honestly :troll:

Naw but while I understand Pichu has his fans, I've desired to play a heavy, slow, but very powerful Pikachu for a very long time. Which is why when Melee came out and I saw that both Mario and Link got clones, I was hoping for a heavy Pikachu in that game since Pikachu was really nimble and quick in that game (and all the Smash games I guess).

But nah, we got a much lighter (Pikachu was ALREADY light), faster (Pikachu was ALREADY fast), weaker clone with only three or four good things and everything else was garbage.

If pichu were to be added in I'd love to see his :GCD::GCB: be reminiscent of blanka's electric thunder move from the sf series. It would be like he's trying to do pika's thunder move but can't because he isn't strong enough to call it down from the sky however he is able to produce electricity around him in a sort of field like manner. It would come out almost instantaneously and be a good "get off me move". If it's made right it could be like pichu's very own shine that damages himself by 1% with each use but is also jump cancellable at any moment and can be prolonged for sustained damage increase at a standard rate of like 1%/second. How's that for glass cannon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom