• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
As far as new ideas go, how about we put Pichu on the backburner, and if we want a small, fast Poke-Powerhouse, how about instead we consider Victini?

Victini is the Victory Pokemon, plus he has access to SEVEN different legendary moves, two exclusive to him, in fact! Searing Shot, V-Create, Fusion Flare, Fusion Bolt, Blue Flare, Bolt Strike, and Glaciate. With such a wide array of powerful moves, I think he could be an awesome contender to be a Project M fighter!

Shin F.

Smash Master
Last edited:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
7 character total huh? I suppose 5 now with the inclusion of Mewtwo and Roy, who are awesome. I can definitely understand them not having any immediate intention on filling out the total 5 remaining character slots, that's a lot of work, and with each character requiring so much attention and so many hours, it would be foolish for them to make such a bold statement as to say they will deliver 5 new characters. Heck, with the possible exception of Pichu who already has moves and animations they can at least use as reference from Melee, any new character will basically be added from scratch, not only would they need to make the character and animations from their own designs with no SSB reference, but also come up with a decent moveset, also from scratch. I mean as far as what we're doing, yeah, playing around with a Ninten or Shadow the Hedgehog movelist is all fun, but we have no real idea how these movesets would work in gameplay, not only on their own, but in relation to the 41 other characters in the game.

Personally, I am holding out hope that they will attempt at least one or two more characters, but really, there's nothing to say that they won't decide that Mewtwo and Roy alone were enough of an undertaking (sorry Pichu fans!). I suppose for right now all we can do is hope, and keep our eyes peeled for any major update that may leak of a "New Challenger" on the rise!

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Or how about Leafeon?

Could be like a faster Ivysaur with not as much reach.
I love you for suggesting Leafeon since it is my literal favorite pokemon.

Ivysaur and leafeon don't mix though. Leafeon would end up having a playstyle much more similar to marth.

Read here from November of last year lol.

From here on out "Esque" shall be used to refer to "Similar to the character referenced's move" "X" shall refer to "no ideas"

I assume you just mean the B moves.

Vine whip would of been able to work....If Leafs could learn it.
For Up B as a replacement I would suggest using wolf's Up B as a base for "Aerial Ace"

Side B could stay razor leaf but I have a better idea for what to do with razor leaf. I'd turn Side B into something Marth/Roy Esque since Leafeon specializes in Blade attacks Via Leaf blade.

Down B would have to be something unique. Perhaps a short range (Like 1 character model short) razor leaf shot from both sides. Not sure how that would work in the air

Neutral B could remain as synthesis ---> Solarbeam or be changed into Energy ball. Leafeon wouldn't be getting charges from attacks though so I would rather change Synthesis to charge faster while weakening solar beams power and making it shoot straight forwards instead of a 45* angle.

The other things I have to mention.
Forward smash should be Link Esque, slashing twice, once with the blade on it's head and another with the blade on it's tail.

Neutral air would be Meta knight Esque.

This character could literally be built off of other characters :smirk:
Fair ---> Link
Bair --->Lucas. Tail would be slashing instead of kicking. No spike. Bucking could also be used but that's more of a horse's trait
Uair ----> X.
Dair ---> Considering Marth Esque but not sure.

Ftilt ---> Quick slash with Leaf blade from the head. Probably Marth Esque
Utilt ---> X
Dtilt ---> Falco Esque. Not as much launch power.
Jab ---> Two slashes with Headblade, third would be with the tail blade

Fsmash ----> as referenced above, Link Esque
Usmash ----> Backflip tail slash.
Dsmash ---> Spinning slash. Probably Squirtle Esque, but sends enemies horizontally.

...That's all I got.
Problem with marth's down air is that he can swing his sword downward really fast. Leafeon would have to do a full spin to get a slash that could match the ark.

Thinking about it though, that wouldn't be a problem. Pikachu spins all the time at really fast speeds too.

So Marth Uair and Dair covers that.

Now for the Utilt. Could be a headbutt, similar to that of what a bull would do. One that would launch people upward.

Throws are going to be a problem, A Pokemon like that couldn't grab. Doesn't have the vines to match the vine whip grab either.
Biting works, but how you throw them upwards without having the jaws like Charizard is quite hard to believe.

Uthrow Ike Esque (in a sense) Pull's down then just headbutts upward. Essentially the same thing.
FThrow Mario esque, full body spin.
Bthrow Pikachu esque. Except without all the spinning. Just pull then throw. Hard to explain though.
Dthrow Wolf Esque. Slashes with a tail instead though
Trust me though.

I intend to make a much more fleshed out description of Leafeon after Shadow and maybe some other characters.

....Also it will be much better than those ideas.

Funny. I said the same thing to the first person who suggested leafeon.

I love you for even considering making my favorite Pokemon

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see your Shadow moveset, one thing though, I'd like to see Shadow's normal special being Chaos Magic ... only issue is if Kirby copied it, he can't snap his fingers ...

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'd like to see your Shadow moveset, one thing though, I'd like to see Shadow's normal special being Chaos Magic ... only issue is if Kirby copied it, he can't snap his fingers ...
Kirby is a problem that I leave up to the PMBR.

If they were to even consider the movesets or ideas that I propose, they are the ones who know how to make the kirby hats work.

And I already had that as an idea. Unfortunately a move like that is hard to balance out. I'm not sure whether to make it have a slow start up but go through shields, or make it fast to set up combos.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is a problem that I leave up to the PMBR.

If they were to even consider the movesets or ideas that I propose, they are the ones who know how to make the kirby hats work.

And I already had that as an idea. Unfortunately a move like that is hard to balance out. I'm not sure whether to make it have a slow start up but go through shields, or make it fast to set up combos.
With the Sonic universe being all about speed, I could see Shadow being a sort of combo-master build, you'd have to reduce him in power but give him some major chainable attacks, with maybe one or two heavy hits that are harder to chain into, like a fully charged Chaos Spear for instance, since it would require a charge.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
With the Sonic universe being all about speed, I could see Shadow being a sort of combo-master build, you'd have to reduce him in power but give him some major chainable attacks, with maybe one or two heavy hits that are harder to chain into, like a fully charged Chaos Spear for instance, since it would require a charge.
I'll give you a quick spoiler.

Shadow in sonic battle iirc has an attack when he slides.

I'm either considering making his dash turn an attack in vein of squirtle, or potentially making it his side B.

If I made it side B it would also work as the air dash that he should get.

No more other than that. I have homework I really need to finish lol.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'll give you a quick spoiler.

Shadow in sonic battle iirc has an attack when he slides.

I'm either considering making his dash turn an attack in vein of squirtle, or potentially making it his side B.

If I made it side B it would also work as the air dash that he should get.

No more other than that. I have homework I really need to finish lol.
SDoom's Shadow PSA would be an excellent place to start, I think.

Actual showcase starts at 2:10

Admittedly, it's a bit OP both when using and fighting against it (speaking from experience, here), but it's a great base moveset.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Except for the overpowered taunt mechanic that Shadow set would basically be the way to go.
Even going so far to have an alt attack for a groundeddown specials, something I hope to see in Smash 4. I can dig.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Except for the overpowered taunt mechanic that Shadow set would basically be the way to go.
Even going so far to have an alt attack for a groundeddown specials, something I hope to see in Smash 4. I can dig.
Pretty sure he has a version in the download without those.
Hate to say it but I actually don't like it.

Some of it is fitting, but it all looks janky and overpowered to all hell.

His fighting needs to be revamped a bit in my personal opinion.

Not to be that guy, but I think if I could mod I could probably make something that might reach a healthier balance.

Expect the post tomorrow though. This homework is taking much longer than expected.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Looks kind of boring, to me. And I feel like any potential ideas for a Shadow moveset aren't going to get much farther than "Sonic, but with projectiles and whooshy nonsense".

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Why are we discussing Shadow again? Don't we have enough clones already with Snake and Mewtwo?

If we're going to be discussing Sonic characters in the first place, shouldn't Tails or Knuckles have a much higher priority AND be more unique than making a clone character of a literal clone character? I might be sounding a bit forward, but I'm certain this Shadow discussion has happened three or four times already, while nothing has come of the more important Sonic characters.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
So there's always discrepancies between various fanarts as to
A) What colors Ninten's shirt really is
B) Whether his hat face to his left, forward, or backward
and C) Mickey mouse eyes or Ness eyes

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman

I want this guy soooo badly, but was never even remotely related to a Nintendo game.
His franchise is defunct anyway, only having two games made worldwide, one in Japan. Dreamworks probably wouldn't care, but meh.
I doubt anyone besides me knows his name, or even the game he's from.

Bleck

Smash Master
As much as I love The Neverhood, Klayman would be a baffling choice for Smash Bros.

Malion

Smash Ace
Lol how about an Eevee that evolves on contact with items?
Fire flower= Flareon
Lightning= Jolteon
Unira= Vaporeon
Star Rod= Umbreon
Franklin Badge= Espeon
Freezie= Glaceon
Deku Nut= Leafeon

Award for least reasonable character goes to....

MLGF

Smash Lord
How about Mew?
We need a clone of a clone who already has its playable clone in the game.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Lol how about an Eevee that evolves on contact with items?
Fire flower= Flareon
Lightning= Jolteon
Unira= Vaporeon
Star Rod= Umbreon
Franklin Badge= Espeon
Freezie= Glaceon
Deku Nut= Leafeon

Award for least reasonable character goes to....
I'd say yes, but Leafeon and Glaceon are the only Eeveelutions in the game.

Malion

Smash Ace
I'd say yes, but Leafeon and Glaceon are the only Eeveelutions in the game.
Well they're just transformations. Surely the rules could be relaxed and thats the only issue... not the fact that they'd need 8 slots.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well they're just transformations. Surely the rules could be relaxed and thats the only issue... not the fact that they'd need 8 slots.
They wouldn't need 8 slots if done in the right way. Touching items would not be the ideal way, but a quick transformation during certain moves would probably work.

And I don't think transformations of a character count as the character.

Malion

Smash Ace
They wouldn't need 8 slots if done in the right way. Touching items would not be the ideal way, but a quick transformation during certain moves would probably work.

And I don't think transformations of a character count as the character.
Maybe eevee can only do A moves and grabs. All combininations of B (B, B>, B< etc) trigger a brief transformation.

Though i do think transformations count as characters. Dont Giga and Warioman have slots?

I also think touching items to evolve while not the best way. Would fit with eevee's character better... and it'd be funnier.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Speaking of pokes, what are thoughts on the Pokemon Trainer? I was thinking if he was added back he should have his body added over Snake as a Poke ball attack could be added that works akin to Snake's grenades, with them opening on a set timer. I feel that the 3 that could emerge could either be Chikorita( gen 2, gives ranged projectile options) Torchic( gen 3, gives a defensive shield) or Piplup( gen 4, could rush and set up traps?) Even his up and down specials would probably translate well with Snake's type of moves, due to his up special being him just flying back using a Starly or Driffloon and down special being him dropping either an Electrode( with nerfed knock back obviously) who detonates when the button is pressed again. Only other character who I would probably would also consider the body type of is Wario due to the Bike( obviously) and bite probably being turned into the Super Rod.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Maybe eevee can only do A moves and grabs. All combininations of B (B, B>, B< etc) trigger a brief transformation.

Though i do think transformations count as characters. Dont Giga and Warioman have slots?

I also think touching items to evolve while not the best way. Would fit with eevee's character better... and it'd be funnier.
Transformations count as character slots in-game, but I was referring to the eligibility of the other Eeveelutions. Eevee, Vaporeon, Flareon, etc aren't in the game and Leafeon and Glaceon don't count as those characters.

Malion

Smash Ace
Transformations count as character slots in-game, but I was referring to the eligibility of the other Eeveelutions. Eevee, Vaporeon, Flareon, etc aren't in the game and Leafeon and Glaceon don't count as those characters.
I suppose. For some reason i thought eevee was in the game. Lol

Shin F.

Smash Master
I suppose. For some reason i thought eevee was in the game. Lol
I did too, but I checked just to be sure. She's not, other than her name being mentioned in the Glaceon & Leafeon trophies.

She was a trophy in Melee, however, but I don't think that counts either. They specifically said they had to be in Brawl.

Malion

Smash Ace
I heard eevee was a pokeball pokemon in an early version of brawl but that might just be a rumour.

UberMario

Smash Master
Here is a somewhat funny suggestion, but due to how much Falco, Snake, Lucario, Zelda and Marth from their Brawl counterparts, if the Project M team manages to circumvent the character cap (possibly by using the BrawlEX system or something similar), they could just tweak the stats and speeds of the original characters, give them a new character model and they'd become Luigified clones of their Project M counterparts by default.

For example:

-Slippy could be a Falco clone that retains reflector kicking and is in general slower and floatier than Fox, Falco or Wolf, making him harder to pull the same tricks on that you can with the other spacies and not as quick to kill, but capable of his own shenanigans
-Sami could be a Snake clone which retains NIkita, the ability to have multiple grenades out at a time, multiple (but weaker) landmines out at a time and a modified version of Snake's Brawl FSmash which is faced forward instead of down at the feet
-Caeda could gain Marth's brawl moveset and properties, such as using the lance like a shortened sword, having a forward poke with Shield Breaker and other similar changes. If she used her lance, she could also have some of Marth's moves tweaked slightly to be longer-ranged, but not all.
-Knuckle Joe could gain Lucario's old aura ability and non-SF-based Brawl moveset with a smaller hitbox
-Isaac could be like Brawl Zelda, but more powerful and with down B producing a force which blocks projectiles and pushes players back, similar to his assist trophy.

In addition, theoretically Wario's bike could be revived by combining Wario's, Captain Falcon's and a Super Scope's Brawl behavior could be spliced to create Mach Rider, who spawns a bike using side B, shoots energy bullets with B, dismounts using down B (with grounded attacks like smashes working while riding the bike) and upB is the bike popping a wheelie. Similarly, Saki could be made pretty accurately just by splicing moves from Fox and Marth. Theoretically, even Brawl Meta-Knight would feel drastically different from Project M Meta-Knight if it was Brawl Meta-Knight's moveset and disjointed hitboxes with less kill potential and down B replaced with automatic gliding, though I can't imagine who would gain such a moveset other than Dark Meta-Knight or Galacta Knight (who are an alt palette and not present, respectively)

Just a thought.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Here is a somewhat funny suggestion, but due to how much Falco, Snake, Lucario, Zelda and Marth from their Brawl counterparts, if the Project M team manages to circumvent the character cap (possibly by using the BrawlEX system or something similar), they could just tweak the stats and speeds of the original characters, give them a new character model and they'd become Luigified clones of their Project M counterparts by default.

For example:

-Slippy could be a Falco clone that retains reflector kicking and is in general slower and floatier than Fox, Falco or Wolf, making him harder to pull the same tricks on that you can with the other spacies and not as quick to kill, but capable of his own shenanigans
-Sami could be a Snake clone which retains NIkita, the ability to have multiple grenades out at a time, multiple (but weaker) landmines out at a time and a modified version of Snake's Brawl FSmash which is faced forward instead of down at the feet
-Caeda could gain Marth's brawl moveset and properties, such as using the lance like a shortened sword, having a forward poke with Shield Breaker and other similar changes. If she used her lance, she could also have some of Marth's moves tweaked slightly to be longer-ranged, but not all.
-Knuckle Joe could gain Lucario's old aura ability and non-SF-based Brawl moveset with a smaller hitbox
-Isaac could be like Brawl Zelda, but more powerful and with down B producing a force which blocks projectiles and pushes players back, similar to his assist trophy.

In addition, theoretically Wario's bike could be revived by combining Wario's, Captain Falcon's and a Super Scope's Brawl behavior could be spliced to create Mach Rider, who spawns a bike using side B, shoots energy bullets with B, dismounts using down B (with grounded attacks like smashes working while riding the bike) and upB is the bike popping a wheelie. Similarly, Saki could be made pretty accurately just by splicing moves from Fox and Marth. Theoretically, even Brawl Meta-Knight would feel drastically different from Project M Meta-Knight if it was Brawl Meta-Knight's moveset and disjointed hitboxes with less kill potential and down B replaced with automatic gliding, though I can't imagine who would gain such a moveset other than Dark Meta-Knight or Galacta Knight (who are an alt palette and not present, respectively)

Just a thought.
The pain I feel when you suggest making Isaac a Zelda clone.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Looks kind of boring, to me. And I feel like any potential ideas for a Shadow moveset aren't going to get much farther than "Sonic, but with projectiles and whooshy nonsense".
I'm home now.

And I hope to change your mind when I finish with the shadow post.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Would you rather see a character as playable and as a clone or not-playable and still as an assist trophy? :lick:
I would rather see Isaac removed entirely than to see him with a moveset that doesn't suit him at all. Pit? Fine. I could deal with that. Ike? Sure. Zelda? That's like making Shadow a Mr. Game & Watch clone.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Would you rather see a character as playable and as a clone or not-playable and still as an assist trophy? :lick:
Oh yes. That is a brilliant idea. I mean the Ganondorf fans enjoyed playing a Captain Falcon clone so much. Why not do the same to the other 4 characters? We can make Ridley play like Bowser, Lyn play like Pit, Dark Samus play like Captain Falcon, and Black Shadow play like Donkey Kong. There is no way anyone could NOT like this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom