• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
Is it really too much trouble to check that a character is in the game first?

Am I the only one who still does that?

Giygas can't be chosen. He's not in the game. If he were, I'd have already half-voted him as a Mewtwo clone. As it is, I still want him as a Mewtwo alt.
By the way, I think Ninten would be a good idea in PM.

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
Also, I think there's a pretty good reason why PM hasn't been heard from in a few months. They could be preparing for E3.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Also, I think there's a pretty good reason why PM hasn't been heard from in a few months. They could be preparing for E3.
The thing is, Nintendo would most likely make a big showing of Sm4sh at E3, meaning that Project M wouldn't want to be seen as competition by announcing something big at that time.

So I actually expect it before (April, May) or after E3 (July and later).

Shin F.

Smash Master
The thing is, Nintendo would most likely make a big showing of Sm4sh at E3, meaning that Project M wouldn't want to be seen as competition by announcing something big at that time.

I'm personally hoping for before. If it's after, we may end up getting Sm4sh newcomers revealed that won't be eligible for Clone Engine any more.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally hoping for before. If it's after, we may end up getting Sm4sh newcomers revealed that won't be eligible for Clone Engine any more.
Under that logic, they probably won't announce anything short of adding Pichu (since he's a Melee alum) until after E3. Why go through all the trouble of starting to add a character from scratch when there's a chance he'll be announced for SM4SH and they'll have to trash all that work, since they've said outright they will not be back-porting characters from the new game into PM as to not step on Nintendo's heels?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Under that logic, they probably won't announce anything short of adding Pichu (since he's a Melee alum) until after E3. Why go through all the trouble of starting to add a character from scratch when there's a chance he'll be announced for SM4SH and they'll have to trash all that work, since they've said outright they will not be back-porting characters from the new game into PM as to not step on Nintendo's heels?
They've also said that if they start working on a character and that character is announced, they're not going to stop working on them. Hence why it would be better (for us) if characters were announced before Sm4sh has a chance to reveal them.

Last edited:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
I believe the PMBR said that if they announce a character and it then got announced for Smash 4, then they will keep on course with the character. But yeah, I'm not too sure what the PMBR will do, 3.0 is close to 4 months old.

NINJA'D BY SHIN. Thanks a lot buddy… >.>

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815

Okay, I suppose that would make sense.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
They've also said that if they start working on a character and that character is announced, they're not going to stop working on them.
I believe the PMBR said that if they announce a character and it then got announced for Smash 4, then they will keep on course with the character. But yeah, I'm not too sure what the PMBR will do, 3.0 is close to 4 months old.

NINJA'D BY SHIN. Thanks a lot buddy… >.>
I'm going to start posting the rules on each page if this nonsense of not reading them continues. I mean, is it really that hard to read the guidelines PMBR gave about additional characters? Or for that matter the guidelines set up on the first page of this thread? Just look at how many times people have said something along the lines of "I haven't seen Batman being discussed. He is the biggest badass and has infinity potential." and it should be clear they are only looking at the votes and not the rules.

For future reference, and quote me when needed:

"Do not vote for any character that does not appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl in any way, shape, or form. This is an established rule by the Project M Back Room Developers to prevent a CEASE & DESIST NOTICE for using characters that are not licensed in the original and final, official content of the game. Characters that are licensed within the final version of the game are less likely to provoke a CEASE & DESIST, as the licenses for said characters are provided in game.

Characters that appear in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, after the PMBR has started development on a confirmed character, they will proceed to develop the character regardless of the announcement. Otherwise, any eligible character that has been announced beforehand will be immediately disqualified."

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Hey, what's the best Isaac moveset? I admit I don't know much about him other than that hand thing he does as an Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hey, what's the best Isaac moveset? I admit I don't know much about him other than that hand thing he does as an Assist Trophy.
Isaac fights with Earth based magic. I can't claim that any moveset here is better than one another, but the general idea I've heard the most praise from is a character with very consistent ground game, but poor air game. I'm sure Shin F. will fill you in on all the details though.

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
Isaac fights with Earth based magic. I can't claim that any moveset here is better than one another, but the general idea I've heard the most praise from is a character with very consistent ground game, but poor air game. I'm sure Shin F. will fill you in on all the details though.
That sounds kind of like a magic version of Little Mac in SM4SH.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I'd definitely like to see more info on him, seems Golden Sun is in dire need of a true representative in the Smash roster, I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if Sm4sh included him, seems like he is to Brawl what Pit was to Melee.

Also he has a pretty awesome costume alt as well!

Shin F.

Smash Master
Isaac would use his sword for his normals and Venus Psynergy ("Earth Magic") for his specials. Things to do with dirt and plants are ideal. Earthquakes, stone spikes from the ground, vines with thorns on them

Here's a couple of videos with all the Psynergy in the first two games. Anything you see done by Isaac or Felix is very likely to be Venus Psynergy, which is what Isaac would use.
I'd definitely like to see more info on him, seems Golden Sun is in dire need of a true representative in the Smash roster, I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if Sm4sh included him, seems like he is to Brawl what Pit was to Melee.

I could see Isaac dressing up as his son.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman

That is Isaac's son, Matthew. So Isaac's alt costume would be this instead:

This is his older self from the third game in the series, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Edit: Oh, did I just get like, double ninja'd?

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap! Just watched the video, Issac looks so awesome, why is he not already a Smash character? He looks absolutely epic!

Not only that, from the first video alone, I could suggest a moveset based all around three stage charging moves, low-power to high-power based on the charge, to represent the three tiers of spells that most of his moves seem to have!

This is a banner I can get behind!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
From the way things are currently looking, only Ridley, Dixie and( maybe) Isaac are at risk.

However all the newcomers have caught pretty much everyone off guard( except Little Mac), so I can see the point.

Maybe next week we may get something since it's the anniversary of the debut of Turbo Mode.....

Shin F.

Smash Master
From the way things are currently looking, only Ridley, Dixie and( maybe) Isaac are at risk.

However all the newcomers have caught pretty much everyone off guard( except Little Mac), so I can see the point.

Maybe next week we may get something since it's the anniversary of the debut of Turbo Mode.....
Isaac is the one I'm worried about :/ At least with Ridley and Dixie, we have other characters from those series to fall back on, but Isaac is the only eligible Golden Sun character.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Isaac is the one I'm worried about :/ At least with Ridley and Dixie, we have other characters from those series to fall back on, but Isaac is the only eligible Golden Sun character.
I wouldn't be too worried. Considering the rising popularity of the character Shulk, how Ninten as the first Earthbound character never became playable, and how Golden Sun received its third title, I say it is highly unlikely we will see Isaac.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I wouldn't be too worried. Considering the rising popularity of the character Shulk, how Ninten as the first Earthbound character never became playable, and how Golden Sun received its third title, I say it is highly unlikely we will see Isaac.
Shulk I see as likely (I want him, even), but Ninten I don't see as likely for Smash 4. Masked Man is more popular and as Rosalina showed us, popularity can be a big deal even if they don't have the long history. Isaac was very popular during the Brawl era, and he already has a very powerful assist trophy (arguably the best in the game). I find it extremely likely that he could be upgraded to a full-fledged fighter like Little Mac.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Sakurai has already had three chances to put forgettable JRPG protagonists in Smash Bros and something tells me that if he finally decides to make one playable it's probably gonna be the one owned by Nintendo.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Sakurai has already had three chances to put forgettable JRPG protagonists in Smash Bros and something tells me that if he finally decides to make one playable it's probably gonna be the one owned by Nintendo.
Forgettable is a matter of perspective. Just because some people don't like JRPGs doesn't mean they're "forgettable" to others.

FYI, they're both owned by Nintendo. Camelot and Monolith Soft are both second party developers for them now, same as Game Freak.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
To expand a bit on my idea, Isaac's moves would be based on his Psynergy of Earth and Plant Matter, and most of his moves would charge in three stages, all attacks can be launched immediately, but charging will make the end result of the attacks larger, more damaging, or faster. For instance:

Up Special: Rockfall, Isaac summons a boulder under his feet that propels him into the air, the boulder itself acts as something of a platform, like a reverse Sonic Spring, instead of it immediately dropping, it carries Isaac into the air, and then will fall under its own weight as a projectile. Isaac can actually jump off the boulder too, if he has any jumps remaining (if he double jumps and then uses it, he cannot leap off the boulder, although it will fall faster than he does). Charges in three stages, Rockfall only has a single boulder, Rockslide rockets Isaac up higher and includes a few additional boulders at the side (not additional projectiles, just makes the core boulder 'bigger'), and Avalanche which launches Isaac up the highest, and has several additional boulders increasing the attack's overall size. As said, despite its appearence being of several boulders, it will always count as a single object.

Down Special: Quake, Isaac slams into the ground and causes a ripple effect that damages and launches opponents. When used in the air, it will quickly rocket Isaac towards the earth, and the damaging aspect will not take effect until he hits a platform. Can be cancelled. 3 stage charge, Quake has a simple ripple, low damage and launch, Earthquake is a larger ripple, whereas Quake Sphere created the largest earth ripple, with a smaller, second ripple right behind it.

Normal attacks would be based on physical moves used by Isaac, including Skull Splitter, Ragnarok, Odyssey, Sabre Dance, and Annihilation, only instead of a giant sword, it would use the general idea with Isaac's own sword instead.

Grabs would be based off Isaac's out of battle moves, such as Move, Grind, Tremor, and Scoop, for instance.

Bleck

Smash Master
Forgettable is a matter of perspective.
like I'm sure somebody has written a ten-page essay for why this guy who has a sword and cares about friendship or whatever is totally different from all the rest but the only reasonable response to it and anything resembling it is going to continue to be a resounding "ugh"

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I have no idea what I'm talking about because JRPGs are all exactly the same. I've probably never even played them. If you don't look at things the way that I do and go "ugh" at the thought of them, you're being unreasonably stupid.
This drivel is all I'm getting out of your post. I can't recall the cliche "Power of Friendship" thing playing any role in either Xenoblade or Golden Sun. So they use swords. So what? So does Link, so does Marth, so does Pit and Meta Knight and more.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I feel like there should be another thread for random character discussion for characters that have no chance of getting in...

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Not in the game. (Unless she's under a different name that I don't know about - that's happened before :p)
There's a Cackletta sticker. and Bowletta's practically the same character. Just her possessing Bowser.

EDIT: Then again, maybe She'd be better as a Bowser Alt.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Shulk I see as likely (I want him, even), but Ninten I don't see as likely for Smash 4. Masked Man is more popular and as Rosalina showed us, popularity can be a big deal even if they don't have the long history. Isaac was very popular during the Brawl era, and he already has a very powerful assist trophy (arguably the best in the game). I find it extremely likely that he could be upgraded to a full-fledged fighter like Little Mac.
What I was getting at is the fact that Sakurai has overlooked a lot main characters, rather they be from the same series, or one of their own. Ninten being the first Earthbound character got overlooked in favor of Ness, even if Ninten came first. Characters like Hector, Lyn, and Eliwood also got overlooked as choices for Smash. And the most obvious, Isaac, got overlooked for Brawl in favor of his Assist Trophy status. If Sakurai is going to include a character, he will have his own reason for doing so, such as taking a gamble on a character's popularity like he did with Roy.

With the knowledge that Shulk is becoming increasingly more popular than characters like Isaac, it would be beyond stupid for Sakurai to overlook him, unless he sees the character to be virtually impossible to play in the Smash Bros. format. And considering I saw a picture of the Monado on his Twitter, I think he is considering it in some form. Isaac on the other hand, is pretty far past his time of popularity. Not to mention a lot of confirmed characters have games up to a reasonable time frame before this Smash's release. If we get anyone, it would likely end up being Matthew. And I'm pretty sure Golden Sun fans would not appreciate that.

Though I could be completely wrong... these are just my thoughts.

Shin F.

Smash Master
What I was getting at is the fact that Sakurai has overlooked a lot main characters, rather they be from the same series, or one of their own. Ninten being the first Earthbound character got overlooked in favor of Ness, even if Ninten came first. Characters like Hector, Lyn, and Eliwood also got overlooked as choices for Smash. And the most obvious, Isaac, got overlooked for Brawl in favor of his Assist Trophy status. If Sakurai is going to include a character, he will have his own reason for doing so, such as taking a gamble on a character's popularity like he did with Roy.
Ness was also a great deal more popular than Ninten, since Earthbound is the more popular game. And remember, Roy wasn't picked with Sakurai gambling on his popularity, he was chosen to promote the new Fire Emblem game. The fact that Isaac was an Assist Trophy shows that Sakurai is aware of him and may have greatly considered him, especially since he made him arguably the most powerful one.

With the knowledge that Shulk is becoming increasingly more popular than characters like Isaac, it would be beyond stupid for Sakurai to overlook him, unless he sees the character to be virtually impossible to play in the Smash Bros. format. And considering I saw a picture of the Monado on his Twitter, I think he is considering it in some form. Isaac on the other hand, is pretty far past his time of popularity. Not to mention a lot of confirmed characters have games up to a reasonable time frame before this Smash's release. If we get anyone, it would likely end up being Matthew. And I'm pretty sure Golden Sun fans would not appreciate that.
This almost looks like a possible comparison between Pit and Isaac back in the day. Pit (Isaac), who hadn't been in a relevant game for years vs Isaac (Shulk), who was at what was pretty much the height of his popularity. The older character was chosen over the more recent one, and that character went on to have a revival in the form of one of the best games of this generation. Isaac's situation is less extreme, but he could easily be the Pit of this game.

Don't forget, either, that Sakurai has said just because it was on his twitter doesn't mean it's Smash-related. He actually gets annoyed when people assume that. Not that I think Shulk is unlikely, because I do think he's very likely, but the picture has nothing to do with it. Further, it's not a competition between Shulk and Isaac. We could easily have both, which is what I'm hoping for.

Regarding Matthew, Dark Dawn is not nearly as acclaimed as the first games were, and I don't see him as having the star power to beat out his father like Ness beat out Ninten. Felix might, but not Matthew. I would hope Matthew isn't chosen as more than an Assist.

Anyways, this is pretty off-topic since we're talking about Smash 4. It's probably best to take it elsewhere if we want to debate more.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Hey Shin, I had an idea for Isaac's Side Special, tell me what you think:

Side Special: Thorn, Isaac launches out with a thorny vine that will grabs an opponent and pull them in, before exploding outwards in a flurry of brambles, similar to a sort of tether version of C. Falcon/Ganondorf's grab and explosion. Vine can also be used to tether to edges. Can be charged in three stages, Thorn is a single short-range vine, Briar is a medium-ranged vine that whips out, as well as a small burst of vines from Isaac's hand, similar to Wolf's mechanic of doing damage when pulling out his blaster, Nettle is longest range, and does the most damage on grab and bramble explosion.

Also an idea for normal Special:

Special: Gaia, Isaac starts charging an aura of Earth energy around himself, a quick tap uses Gaia, which is a very short-range burst of dirt and stone, a mid charge unleashes Mother Gaia, which increases the radius and power of the aura, and Grand Gaia is a fully charged version (similar to how the FE charge up their Specials), it creates an explosive aura of rock and dirt and boulders that has a high knockback.

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Man, I gotta play Golden Sun again so I can get ideas for a moveset to try and contribute. Maybe Up smash raises rock spires on both sides of him?

But until I can get the time to play GS again, new signature says hello.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ness was also a great deal more popular than Ninten, since Earthbound is the more popular game. And remember, Roy wasn't picked with Sakurai gambling on his popularity, he was chosen to promote the new Fire Emblem game. The fact that Isaac was an Assist Trophy shows that Sakurai is aware of him and may have greatly considered him, especially since he made him arguably the most powerful one.

This almost looks like a possible comparison between Pit and Isaac back in the day. Pit (Isaac), who hadn't been in a relevant game for years vs Isaac (Shulk), who was at what was pretty much the height of his popularity. The older character was chosen over the more recent one, and that character went on to have a revival in the form of one of the best games of this generation. Isaac's situation is less extreme, but he could easily be the Pit of this game.

Don't forget, either, that Sakurai has said just because it was on his twitter doesn't mean it's Smash-related. He actually gets annoyed when people assume that. Not that I think Shulk is unlikely, because I do think he's very likely, but the picture has nothing to do with it. Further, it's not a competition between Shulk and Isaac. We could easily have both, which is what I'm hoping for.

Regarding Matthew, Dark Dawn is not nearly as acclaimed as the first games were, and I don't see him as having the star power to beat out his father like Ness beat out Ninten. Felix might, but not Matthew. I would hope Matthew isn't chosen as more than an Assist.

Anyways, this is pretty off-topic since we're talking about Smash 4. It's probably best to take it elsewhere if we want to debate more.
I was just giving my 2-cents. Take my words with a grain of salt, as I have a completely different view of how Sakurai selects things. And while I sincerely hope Golden Sun does not get overlooked, I could see the same thing happening to Golden Sun that happened to Custom Robo. The first 2 games do good then the last few bomb, compared to the originals. So their chances do somewhat decline.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey Shin, I had an idea for Isaac's Side Special, tell me what you think:

Side Special: Thorn, Isaac launches out with a thorny vine that will grabs an opponent and pull them in, before exploding outwards in a flurry of brambles, similar to a sort of tether version of C. Falcon/Ganondorf's grab and explosion. Vine can also be used to tether to edges. Can be charged in three stages, Thorn is a single short-range vine, Briar is a medium-ranged vine that whips out, as well as a small burst of vines from Isaac's hand, similar to Wolf's mechanic of doing damage when pulling out his blaster, Nettle is longest range, and does the most damage on grab and bramble explosion.

Also an idea for normal Special:

Special: Gaia, Isaac starts charging an aura of Earth energy around himself, a quick tap uses Gaia, which is a very short-range burst of dirt and stone, a mid charge unleashes Mother Gaia, which increases the radius and power of the aura, and Grand Gaia is a fully charged version (similar to how the FE charge up their Specials), it creates an explosive aura of rock and dirt and boulders that has a high knockback.
I like it a lot! Fantastic side special idea. I believe there's actually a PSA that uses Gaia like that as Isaac's down-b, so great job coming up with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom