• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Since the voting would be moving on to us, does anyone else think it would be reasonable to allow people who voted to re-cast their votes one time? Or would that be too much?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Since the voting would be moving on to us, does anyone else think it would be reasonable to allow people who voted to re-cast their votes one time? Or would that be too much?
That'd be pretty hard to keep track of, I'd imagine.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Seeing how the votes from regular visitors tally up might be worth seeing. (Says the guy who has been doing nothing but lurk here for at least a fortnight)
Y'know seeing what the people who really care and hang around to talk about it constantly want. Though I don't think that that should really count for anything and it might be hard to tell who exactly fits that bill when there are neophytes around who'd want to put theirs down too even if they maybe won't be here for long.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
At first, I thought that allowing people to re-cast their votes would be a huge hassle, but Shin makes a good point. Not a lot of people would be interested in doing so. However, it conflicts with Anti Guy's rule and I don't want to continue tallying votes for his thread if we don't continue to follow the guidelines he set up. If people make a full vote, it should be for someone they really want into the game period.

I wouldn't mind changing someones vote if they provide a really good reason for doing so though. Not just, "I totally forgot this character exists. Change this votes to this person pleez."

Also, I've messaged Anti Guy and he is willing to provide us with his spreadsheet so we can continue counting votes. I'll send a group message out to those who expressed interests in doing so very soon.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
This doesn't need to be a voting thread, it can continue a discussion thread, as said in the title.

As for Game Modes, if you really want to discuss that, it should be in another thread.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Good enough, considering Shadow doesn't need more than just 1 projectile to begin with. Save the speedy run and gun tactics to Ray.

The only instances of which I've seen him physically use fire are somersaulting with the flame ring from SA2, attacking with ignited air skates, and his burning barrier in the Shadow the Hedgehog game.

Otherwise, I can't think of any other instances myself.
Well Shadow's Hover Shoes have fire spouting out of them through the rockets, so I thought it would be interesting to add them as a damaging ability!

Also for whoever asked, I said Smash as his normal attacks, his non-special. I thought they were called Smashes for some reason ...

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, the more I question my initial assumption that Sukapon couldn't use ripped animations. The only custom animations truly essential to her are Tondekee/Konnan Irahen and Sukapon Roll, and the only major cosmetic ones are twirling idle/walk and flapping jump/fall. Actually, I'm thinking it could work out quite well, since not having limbs gives her a lot of leeway for what characters' bones she could fit over.

In terms of personality and attack style, Peach would be a perfect fit for Sukapon to be completely cloned from, except for specials. Luigi and Olimar are also good matches, and Zamus, Wario, or Kirby might be workable.

I've done a few mockups to see how it could work without changing proportions. Changed scale, though, excluding maybe Peach.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
We're free to discuss whatever we want now about characters and such right?

Ok I'mma go ahead and babble on about Pichu for a little bit.

:pichumelee:Pichu:pichumelee:

Ah yes, the little rascal from Melee that everyone loves to hate.
^Also this is top tier Alt costume potential^

Crippled heavily by its weight and fall speed. It's falling speed is just fast enough to be chain grabbed and is light enough to be sent out of stage relatively easy. It has rather lackluster range and it's grab has quite the end lag to end them all if you catch my drift. This makes getting close and personal with Pichu a relatively dangerous task. However, when Pichu gets in, Pichu gets in. Range aside, Pichu rocks a moveset similar to that of Pikachu; which is relatively solid. However, what lies in the differences of their moves is what makes them different. (Albeit Pichu's differences were not great enough in melee to make him worth playing)
It's not that his good traits weren't good enough, but the fact that its bad traits were bad enough to where it was a really glaring problem.
Crippled by a long inherent amount of hitstun, a relatively low weight, bad tech rolls, bad rolling dodge, relatively predictable Ledge roll, short wavedash, and HORRIBLE grab range. And who can forget his notorious self damaging mechanic.

But Pichu isn't without good traits either. Sporting surprisingly devastating power, this little rodent actually packs quite the punch. It loves to get greedy though I assure you that. Pichu's able to chaingrab fast fallers and set up pretty solid combos when it gets the chance. It's got a small body size but a shield that covers him enough to make him less susceptible to shield stabbing. Pichu's small stature also helps it avoid grabs from some of the taller cast. His Uair launches enemies at a consistent rate into the air regardless of crouch cancelling so it's great for getting bowser off of the ground. (Along with anyone else.) His moves have extremely short endlag so they are really dangerous for SHFFL shenanigans.

I really think there is a lot of potential here if we correct some of the flaws that Pichu had and change him up a bit more.

:pichumelee:Now for what could be changed:pichumelee:
We should focus first on the really crippling traits that can be changed reasonably.

1. Pichu's weight being able to be changed is debatable. It can't be greater than Pikachu's but it definitely can be increased. This is assuming it wouldn't mess with his endlag (I don't think they are related?)
  2. Pichu's wavedash more than likely can be increased to make him slide a bit more. This could make Wavedash into Dtilt a much more solid option, but range would still make that a dangerous tactic. But everyone can benefit from having a better wavedash.
  3. Pichu's grab range is abysmal. Might as well be nonexistent. This is because of his relatively short arms, along with his running grab which is slow, predictable, doesn't cover much ground, and takes forever to end. I would suggest that it be changed to a bit of a lunge in vein of a tackle (attack) to replace the grab. It's something that can cover better ground, still work as a grab, and potentially be able to be acted out of quicker while evading attacks that are REALLY low on the ground.
  4. Roll range, Ledge roll range, and hitstun could all be adjusted to better reach a balance that doesn't get him killed at the sight of a captain Falcon. Not godmode, but just reasonable enough to be able to complement his needs.
  5. Range is a problem that can't really be tackled without changing a lot, Helping his approach might better suit him to make him something of a "close and personal" type fighter.
  6. Self damage needs to stay but be reworked to provide an incentive not to overabuse the tools that a revamped Pichu will have at hand. Who knows though? someone might learn a crazy playstyle and be the only person that does damage to themselves. (I'm implying that the opponent won't be able to even land a hit. :smirk:)

:pichumelee:With that being said, let's move into the improvements of existing moves or changes to other moves.:pichumelee:
-------------------

@OrangeSodaGuy had a great idea in this post which gave out some sexy suggestions.
Make sure to read the hyperlinked post before reading along.

• It was suggested that Pichu's recovery ability "Agility" be changed from 2 travels like Pikachu's to be unique in it's own way by sporting 3 travels while being shorter than Pikachu's recovery. I agree with this suggestion, because a light character like Pichu should not be easy to gimp to balance out the low KO percentages. I would propose that Agility off of this idea is also a bit modified as well.
  • It should retain it's endlag from Melee when falling from the air. However, this should also apply when you hit the ground with Pichu while using agility as well. Essentially Pichu would be able to act almost instantly out of an agility onto the floor to quickly respond to a new situation. Similar to how ZSS can dash right out of her blaster shot.
  • The damage dealt to Pichu should be modified to deal 1% per agility. Agility should not get the ability to use quick attack cancel.

Moving onto Thunder Jolt. While I think it being able to paralyze would be really good, I also think it might be a bit too powerful since it travels across the stage and can go under it as well. Perhaps just make it travel faster and coming out quicker would be a better solution. It's damage should also be changed to 1% dealt to Pichu.

Pichu's down special is not very good. It doesn't have that kill power because they wanted to make it different from Pikachu's. While I think the discharge idea was good as well I'm not so sure that I'm fond of how it works.

Discharge would definitely be the down special. I was thinking something more along the lines of Naryu's love without the reflecting properties. Not as powerful as it nor sporting invincibility to make it a get out of jail free card, but a relatively safe way to assist in Pichu's options.
  • It would have a range that is a little smaller than the range that thunderbolt when it hits Pichu connects. electricity would emerge and surround Pichu, not unlike Ness's PSI magnet. These shocks would flinch the enemy away the same way a jab would.
  • It should also have a way to "release" the discharge in a sense. While the move is being used if the normal attack button is pressed, it should create a shockwave that goes out a little bit farther than the initial discharge but be sporting a good amount of power. However, using this move would not be without a cost of 10% damage. The closest parallel to this move that I can draw would be Lucas' Neutral special after it's fully charged.
  • It should keep the momentum that Pichu had when the move is used and be land cancellable as well. End lag on it when it's used normally should not be so fast that pichu can grab the enemy out of it, but be fast enough to where he can escape an enemy attack right after it.

Moving into other ways to improve his moveset.

1. His Uair is perfect the way it is. It requires no changes
  2. His Fair is great for SHFFL grab shenanigans so on top of a potentially improved grab reach, this move would be very good to stay.
  3. His Dair is also a really good and useful move. I think it would be criminal to make it a pretty good spike as well, but it would definitely assist with using the move onstage, but also for off stage KO's. It's something that Pichu could benefit heavily from, but does it really fit? I think so.
  4. Bair should probably be left as it is since it makes for a good turn around aerial approach option that Fair can't fill.
  5. Nair is fine as it is, However, The length of the move could be shortened so it could reasonably be used twice in one short hop, not unlike Marth's infamous double Fair off of one short hop. This would make it even more dangerous, something that I think Pichu will definitely need if he makes it into project M.

Let's talk about skull bash now.
First off, let's just change it to Volt Charge. It differentiates it from Pikachu's skull bash, justifies the self damage, and definitely justifies it being more powerful.
I actually have no idea's on how to improve it, so I'll come back to this later.

Pichu's smash attacks are completely fine.

Pichu's tilts could use work but I'm not entirely sure what should be changed about them. I'll also revisit this later.

I think that covers everything.

--------------------------------

:pichumelee:Whew! that was a lot of typing!:pichumelee:
Hopefully some people might of looked over this and said, "This might actually be fun to play as!" I could hope but who knows.

I guess I'll post some Pichu matches to build up more hype.

Pichu vs Shiek
Only the first round.
Pichu vs Fox/Falco

Other than that, I don't really think I have anything else to say. All I have to say is that I hope you choose the Pichu side.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
There is always the option of making Pichu purposely bad again to respect his original purpose. I always thought it was pretty fun trying to beat Giga Bowser or some other strong character with the underdog of the group.

Great post tho.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
There is always the option of making Pichu purposely bad again to respect his original purpose. I always thought it was pretty fun trying to beat Giga Bowser or some other strong character with the underdog of the group.

Great post tho.
I don't think that the "original" purpose of Pichu respects what Project M aspires to achieve.

And even still it comes down to the player too since not every character clicks with them as much as others. (Different playstyles and all)

Despite the fact that Pichu is the lowest character on the Tier list and the worst character in Melee, it's more likely that I would be able to beat other players using Pichu over other characters like Yoshi, Zelda, Game & Watch, etc...

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
The more I think about it, the more I question my initial assumption that Sukapon couldn't use ripped animations. The only custom animations truly essential to her are Tondekee/Konnan Irahen and Sukapon Roll, and the only major cosmetic ones are twirling idle/walk and flapping jump/fall. Actually, I'm thinking it could work out quite well, since not having limbs gives her a lot of leeway for what characters' bones she could fit over.

In terms of personality and attack style, Peach would be a perfect fit for Sukapon to be completely cloned from, except for specials. Luigi and Olimar are also good matches, and Zamus, Wario, or Kirby might be workable.

I've done a few mockups to see how it could work without changing proportions. Changed scale, though, excluding maybe Peach.

Yep, this is pretty much what I've been saying all along. You don't need to make up a lot of new animations. Its body fits the proportions of most characters, and it's not really a "disjointed hitbox" at all except for some special attacks (tondekee + konnan irahen)... and special attacks tend to be ranged anyways.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Ninten He could rely more on his bat and other weapons, using PSI moves like Shield or Hypnosis. Would likely be cloned from Ness, if not Lucas.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ninten He could rely more on his bat and other weapons, using PSI moves like Shield or Hypnosis. Would likely be cloned from Ness, if not Lucas.
Thank you for giving me a reason to post these again :D
Here they are, finally scanned them and put them together. They're a bit rough because I rushed them, but I hope you guys like them as much as when I described them with just words. I'm open to suggestions, even if I probably won't draw them out (too much time :p)

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman

This. I can even see the reveal trailer being similar to the beginning of Super Mario Sunishine, with Mario on trial and whatnot, but idk if PMBR would ever do this, lul.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

This. I can even see the reveal trailer being similar to the beginning of Super Mario Sunishine, with Mario on trial and whatnot.

According to the rules and conditions as laid out by PMBR in the Clone Engine Blog Post, characters who haven't appeared in Brawl are ineligible for the Clone Engine! Phoenix Wright is not eligible!

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman

Crippled heavily by its weight and fall speed. It's falling speed is just fast enough to be chain grabbed and is light enough to be sent out of stage relatively easy. It has rather lackluster range and it's grab has quite the end lag to end them all if you catch my drift. This makes getting close and personal with Pichu a relatively dangerous task. However, when Pichu gets in, Pichu gets in. Range aside, Pichu rocks a moveset similar to that of Pikachu; which is relatively solid. However, what lies in the differences of their moves is what makes them different. (Albeit Pichu's differences were not great enough in melee to make him worth playing)
It's not that his good traits weren't good enough, but the fact that its bad traits were bad enough to where it was a really glaring problem.
Crippled by a long inherent amount of hitstun, a relatively low weight, bad tech rolls, bad rolling dodge, relatively predictable Ledge roll, short wavedash, and HORRIBLE grab range. And who can forget his notorious self damaging mechanic.

But Pichu isn't without good traits either. Sporting surprisingly devastating power, this little rodent actually packs quite the punch. It loves to get greedy though I assure you that. Pichu's able to chaingrab fast fallers and set up pretty solid combos when it gets the chance. It's got a small body size but a shield that covers him enough to make him less susceptible to shield stabbing. Pichu's small stature also helps it avoid grabs from some of the taller cast. His Uair launches enemies at a consistent rate into the air regardless of crouch cancelling so it's great for getting bowser off of the ground. (Along with anyone else.) His moves have extremely short endlag so they are really dangerous for SHFFL shenanigans.

I really think there is a lot of potential here if we correct some of the flaws that Pichu had and change him up a bit more.

We should focus first on the really crippling traits that can be changed reasonably.

1. Pichu's weight being able to be changed is debatable. It can't be greater than Pikachu's but it definitely can be increased. This is assuming it wouldn't mess with his endlag (I don't think they are related?)
  2. Pichu's wavedash more than likely can be increased to make him slide a bit more. This could make Wavedash into Dtilt a much more solid option, but range would still make that a dangerous tactic. But everyone can benefit from having a better wavedash.
  3. Pichu's grab range is abysmal. Might as well be nonexistent. This is because of his relatively short arms, along with his running grab which is slow, predictable, doesn't cover much ground, and takes forever to end. I would suggest that it be changed to a bit of a lunge in vein of a tackle (attack) to replace the grab. It's something that can cover better ground, still work as a grab, and potentially be able to be acted out of quicker while evading attacks that are REALLY low on the ground.
  4. Roll range, Ledge roll range, and hitstun could all be adjusted to better reach a balance that doesn't get him killed at the sight of a captain Falcon. Not godmode, but just reasonable enough to be able to complement his needs.
  5. Range is a problem that can't really be tackled without changing a lot, Helping his approach might better suit him to make him something of a "close and personal" type fighter.
  6. Self damage needs to stay but be reworked to provide an incentive not to overabuse the tools that a revamped Pichu will have at hand. Who knows though? someone might learn a crazy playstyle and be the only person that does damage to themselves. (I'm implying that the opponent won't be able to even land a hit. :smirk:)

:pichumelee:With that being said, let's move into the improvements of existing moves or changes to other moves.:pichumelee:
-------------------

@OrangeSodaGuy had a great idea in this post which gave out some sexy suggestions.

• It was suggested that Pichu's recovery ability "Agility" be changed from 2 travels like Pikachu's to be unique in it's own way by sporting 3 travels while being shorter than Pikachu's recovery. I agree with this suggestion, because a light character like Pichu should not be easy to gimp to balance out the low KO percentages. I would propose that Agility off of this idea is also a bit modified as well.
  • It should retain it's endlag from Melee when falling from the air. However, this should also apply when you hit the ground with Pichu while using agility as well. Essentially Pichu would be able to act almost instantly out of an agility onto the floor to quickly respond to a new situation. Similar to how ZSS can dash right out of her blaster shot.
  • The damage dealt to Pichu should be modified to deal 1% per agility. Agility should not get the ability to use quick attack cancel.

Moving onto Thunder Jolt. While I think it being able to paralyze would be really good, I also think it might be a bit too powerful since it travels across the stage and can go under it as well. Perhaps just make it travel faster and coming out quicker would be a better solution. It's damage should also be changed to 1% dealt to Pichu.

Pichu's down special is not very good. It doesn't have that kill power because they wanted to make it different from Pikachu's. While I think the discharge idea was good as well I'm not so sure that I'm fond of how it works.

For discharge, I was thinking something more along the lines of Naryu's love without the reflecting properties. Not as powerful as it nor sporting invincibility to make it a get out of jail free card, but a relatively safe way to assist in Pichu's options.
  • It would have a range that is a little smaller than the range that thunderbolt when it hits Pichu connects. electricity would emerge and surround Pichu, not unlike Ness's PSI magnet. These shocks would flinch the enemy away the same way a jab would.
  • It should also have a way to "release" the discharge in a sense. While the move is being used if the normal attack button is pressed, it should create a shockwave that goes out a little bit farther than the initial discharge but be sporting a good amount of power. However, using this move would not be without a cost of 10% damage. The closest parallel to this move that I can draw would be Lucas' Neutral special after it's fully charged.
  • It should keep the momentum that Pichu had when the move is used and be land cancellable as well. End lag on it when it's used normally should not be so fast that pichu can grab the enemy out of it, but be fast enough to where he can escape an enemy attack right after it.

2. His Fair is great for SHFFL grab shenanigans so on top of a potentially improved grab reach, this move would be very good to stay.
  3. His Dair is also a really good and useful move. I think it would be criminal to make it a pretty good spike as well, but it would definitely assist with using the move onstage, but also for off stage KO's. It's something that Pichu could benefit heavily from, but does it really fit? I think so.
  4. Bair should probably be left as it is since it makes for a good turn around aerial approach option that Fair can't fill.
  5. Nair is fine as it is, However, The length of the move could be shortened so it could reasonably be used twice in one short hop, not unlike Marth's infamous double Fair off of one short hop. This would make it even more dangerous, something that I think Pichu will definitely need if he makes it into project M.

First off, let's just change it to Volt Charge. It differentiates it from Pikachu's skull bash, justifies the self damage, and definitely justifies it being more powerful.
I actually have no idea's on how to improve it, so I'll come back to this later.

Pichu's tilts could use work but I'm not entirely sure what should be changed about them. I'll also revisit this later.

Hopefully some people might of looked over this and said, "This might actually be fun to play as!" I could hope but who knows.

Pichu vs Shiek
Only the first round.
Pichu vs Fox/Falco

Other than that, I don't really think I have anything else to say. All I have to say is that I hope you choose the Pichu side.

Yes! This is exactly what Pichu needs!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

-------------------

For discharge, I was thinking something more along the lines of Naryu's love without the reflecting properties. Not as powerful as it nor sporting invincibility to make it a get out of jail free card, but a relatively safe way to assist in Pichu's options.

Pichu vs Shiek
Only the first round.
Pichu vs Fox/Falco

Much discuss, so potential, very moveset.

I can't half-vote any harder guys, please stop. The Minun costume was worth the vote alone. And don't get me started on Sukapon. I already wanted him to begin with. But that Ninten tho.... And dat Shadow.

To contribute, I had considered an idea for Pichu myself once I started reading a bit of Saito's post. I suggest ditching the Down-B and replacing it with a move similar to that of Blanka of Street Fighter:

The move can end with a vacuum effect and not be chained with other Special moves, and deals fast recoil damage to Pichu as the trade off. It can even use the initial animation of the original Down-B. So likely it would have a great deal of end lag in itself, but could be chained with standard attacks or grabs if done right. The weaknesses I can see in this move are: being easy to hit out of it, a considerable amount of recoil damage, and being completely vulnerable if you **** it up.

As for Sukapon, I saw a lot of this stuff mentioned before throughout the thread, but it never ceases to amuse me when I see good Sukapon support.

Well Shadow's Hover Shoes have fire spouting out of them through the rockets, so I thought it would be interesting to add them as a damaging ability!

Also for whoever asked, I said Smash as his normal attacks, his non-special. I thought they were called Smashes for some reason ...
Kind of what I meant by ignited air skates. The types of attacks are Jab String, Tilts, Smashes, Arials, Specials, Grab Pummel and Throws.

@ Saito Saito And another thing in regards to that statement you said when I replied to Cool Blue for calling Kirby garbage.

I do play competitive, so I'm learning about high level competitive play. I'm just unfamiliar with a lot of terms and mechanics used in Smash since my competitive roots are from other fighters. I do know about Wave-Dashing, L-Cancels, Power Shielding, and Moon Walking. End Lag I somewhat understand, but gimping and other terms / mechanics I'm completely unfamiliar with. So perhaps you guys can enlighten me so I understand some of this stuff.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
:ness64:Ninten:ness64:

:ness2:Isn't that ness?:ness2:
No it's not!

Ninten, the boy with asthma, the boy who wears a scarf, the boy THATS NOT IN SMASH BROTHERS. The main character of the First mother series, he pretty much follows the standard of the other two protagonists while looking strikingly similar to that of Ness. They function nearly the same and are mostly separated by their differences in their stories.

However, Ninten has the potential to bring a unique weapon onto the field of battle, while providing its own quirks and differentiating him from Ness and Lucas.

His Yo yo.

I don't actually know much about mother so let's just get into the character shall we?
As Ninten has asthma, it should be no surprise that he has a slower running speed than Lucas or Ness (Not really but just go with it) His jump should reach a balance between Lucas' and Ness' jump while having a balance of their fall speed as well.

Main core of the character? Disjointed ranged attacks. A dangerous thought already. Wielding good options for pressuring enemies from a relatively safe distance in his Yo-Yo, he would not be unlike marth in the sense that spacing is key. He forgoes his bat entirely to make good use of his Yo-yo while not having to put it away.

Moves
  • Jab : Up to two throws of the yo-yo straight forward. second one going a bit longer than the first one.
  • Ftilt : Spin's and "slices" horizontally with the Yo-Yo. Relatively fast move.
  • Dtilt : Throws the yo-yo at the opponents feet in a curve, causing a trip upon a successful hit. Trip's them in place, does not send them away from Ninten. relatively long start up to where it's easily projected to the enemy. However, it has extremely short end lag so that it can be punished heavily for getting hit by it.
  • Utilt : throws yo-yo straight up at a pretty fast rate. Good damage and knockback. Can be held out similar to Ness' down smash by holding A. causes a flinch similar to falco's blaster when hit by the held yo-yo.
  • Fsmash : Throws the Yo-Yo straight ahead. Able to be angled 45 degrees upward and downward similar to ganon's or roy's Ftilts. Able to be held out in place after the smash by holding A. Initial hit is strong and pushes enemies away in the direction that the attack was launched while the subsequent hit's have knockback similar to wolf blaster. Good for Edge guarding and shield pressure. Fair endlag
  • Usmash : Exactly like ness' Usmash. When hit it sends enemies above Ninten. Can be held before the smash is thrown like Ness'
  • Dsmash : Spins around with the Yo-yo in a fashion similar to that of Roy's Dsmash. Cannot be held out
  • Nair : As proposed by @ Shin F. Shin F. it would be similar to Ness' Nair but with increased range due to the yo-yo.
  • Uair : Arc from in front of Ninten to behind him, similar to that of Wolf's Uair albeit with increased range. Good for setting up as it doesn't have much knockback but does stun a good amount. Ala Roy.
  • Dair : Throw the Yo-Yo Straight downwards. It's a spike but not a very strong one.
  • Fair : Spins and slices horizontally with the Yo-yo just like Ftilt, but with much more power while being a bit slower. Should have solid killing potential.
  • Bair : Similar to Toon Link's Bair. Sending the Yo-yo in an arc from the bottom of the feet to the top of the head, it sends enemies higher into the air. Relatively fast.
I have no idea how to work out his B attacks (Special attacks) so someone should send me a PM about it so I can work it in. I'm considering giving him a tether recovery via yo-yo over the usual PK thunder.)

I'm still considering his Wavedash length, tech roll lengths and other such things but I don't have much to say about that stuff yet. I also haven't thought about how his grabs would work but they definitely involve grabbing with the Yo-yo.

:ness64:I think there is good potential here as well.:ness64:
What about you?

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Next up is shadow for my big ole' rants.

GET HYPE.
Edit : This one might actually have to wait.
I've got a lot of homework and it takes about an hour or two to really get creative, so I don't want to do this one just yet.

Might hit it up tomorrow or really late tonight though.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

No it's not!

Ninten, the boy with asthma, the boy who wears a scarf, the boy THATS NOT IN SMASH BROTHERS. The main character of the First mother series, he pretty much follows the standard of the other two protagonists while looking strikingly similar to that of Ness. They function nearly the same and are mostly separated by their differences in their stories.

However, Ninten has the potential to bring a unique weapon onto the field of battle, while providing its own quirks and differentiating him from Ness and Lucas.

His Yo yo.

I don't actually know much about mother so let's just get into the character shall we?
As Ninten has asthma, it should be no surprise that he has a slower running speed than Lucas or Ness (Not really but just go with it) His jump should reach a balance between Lucas' and Ness' jump while having a balance of their fall speed as well.

Main core of the character? Disjointed ranged attacks. A dangerous thought already. Wielding good options for pressuring enemies from a relatively safe distance in his Yo-Yo, he would not be unlike marth in the sense that spacing is key. He forgoes his bat entirely to make good use of his Yo-yo while not having to put it away.

Moves
  • Jab : Up to two throws of the yo-yo straight forward. second one going a bit longer than the first one.
  • Ftilt : Spin's and "slices" horizontally with the Yo-Yo. Relatively fast move.
  • Dtilt : Throws the yo-yo at the opponents feet in a curve, causing a trip upon a successful hit. Trip's them in place, does not send them away from Ninten. relatively long start up to where it's easily projected to the enemy. However, it has extremely short end lag so that it can be punished heavily for getting hit by it.
  • Utilt : throws yo-yo straight up at a pretty fast rate. Good damage and knockback. Can be held out similar to Ness' down smash by holding A. causes a flinch similar to falco's blaster when hit by the held yo-yo.
  • Fsmash : Throws the Yo-Yo straight ahead. Able to be angled 45 degrees upward and downward similar to ganon's or roy's Ftilts. Able to be held out in place after the smash by holding A. Initial hit is strong and pushes enemies away in the direction that the attack was launched while the subsequent hit's have knockback similar to wolf blaster. Good for Edge guarding and shield pressure. Fair endlag
  • Usmash : Exactly like ness' Usmash. When hit it sends enemies above Ninten. Can be held before the smash is thrown like Ness'
  • Dsmash : Spins around with the Yo-yo in a fashion similar to that of Roy's Dsmash. Cannot be held out
  • Nair : As proposed by @ Shin F. Shin F. it would be similar to Ness' Nair but with increased range due to the yo-yo.
  • Uair : Arc from in front of Ninten to behind him, similar to that of Wolf's Uair albeit with increased range. Good for setting up as it doesn't have much knockback but does stun a good amount. Ala Roy.
  • Dair : Throw the Yo-Yo Straight downwards. It's a spike but not a very strong one.
  • Fair : Spins and slices horizontally with the Yo-yo just like Ftilt, but with much more power while being a bit slower. Should have solid killing potential.
  • Bair : Similar to Toon Link's Bair. Sending the Yo-yo in an arc from the bottom of the feet to the top of the head, it sends enemies higher into the air. Relatively fast.
I have no idea how to work out his B attacks (Special attacks) so someone should send me a PM about it so I can work it in. I'm considering giving him a tether recovery via yo-yo over the usual PK thunder.)

I'm still considering his Wavedash length, tech roll lengths and other such things but I don't have much to say about that stuff yet. I also haven't thought about how his grabs would work but they definitely involve grabbing with the Yo-yo.

What about you?

Beautiful. I like the idea of foregoing the bat entirely in favor of the yoyo. I'd still like him to use PSI in at least a couple of his specials, like Quick Up and 4th-D Slip. Especially 4th-D Slip. It's his unique signature technique that only he can use, and it makes for a perfect recovery option. (See the specials in my sketches for details :p)
Other than that, sounds perfect.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman

No it's not!

His Yo yo.

Moves

What about you?

This sounds great!

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman

-------------------

Pichu vs Shiek
Only the first round.
Pichu vs Fox/Falco

First of all, I love the alt colors! Using the colors of all the Pikachu copies over the generations is a great way to pay homage while still keeping it Pichu. I love it, that Pachirisu Pichu is so damn cute!

I had an idea for how to make Pichu a bit more interesting.

Take his down special, his Thunder, which as you said is pretty useless, and instead give Pichu Charge, Charge is an overall useless move, except it charges up his next special attack! It would charge quicker than Lucas's charge, but is only good for a single move, and the Charge hurts Pichu.

Special: Thunder Jolt, I agree it needs to be faster, Charged Thunder Jolt would be Discharge, where Pichu would get into the same pose, but this time release a sphere of electrical discharge, hurting itself, but as you suggested, acting similar to a non-reflecting Nayru's Love or Reflector.

Up Special: Quick Attack, I think the shorter distance but having three instead of two is a great idea! Charged Quick Attack would be Thunder Wave, Pichu would be electrically charged and any contact with an opponent while Quick Attacking would stun them with no damage, like a no-damage version of ZSS's blaster. No damage would make it tricky, but think, Pichu could be a boss at edge guard punishing, someone is holding onto the edge? Thunder Wave them, they are paralyzed and haplessly fall off the stage! Probably does 1% of damage to Pichu's own health per attack, so 1-3.

Forward Special: Skull Bash, keep it pretty much the same non Charged, Charged Skull Bash becomes Wild Charge, basically it acts like a Green Missile misfire, its instantly full powered with no charge needed and does bigger damage and knockback, but also more damage to Pichu himself.

Down Special: Charge is the basic, but if you use Down Special again, it becomes Zap Cannon, it generates a massive ball of electricity that Pichu fires straight down, in the air its a spike of sort, there's the sweet spot in the middle that'll knock opponents straight down, otherwise it knocks them to the side. If Pichu uses it on the ground, it acts like a super jump, like Sonic's spring, it launches Pichu into the air high, and the Zap Cannon still damages anyone close enough to Pichu.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Random thought since someone brought up the Sablé Prince from For the Frog the Bell Tolls a few pages back... has anyone played the game? I'm kind of interested in playing it to see how it is since it's the precursor to Link's Awakening.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Random thought since someone brought up the Sablé Prince from For the Frog the Bell Tolls a few pages back... has anyone played the game? I'm kind of interested in playing it to see how it is since it's the precursor to Link's Awakening.
That was me, and the game is most certainly worth playing. The characters are entertaining and well developed (for an original Game Boy title), the game-play is a fun mix between platforming, simple puzzle solving, and combat - while also being different enough from Link's GB forays, and the music is excellent (courtesy of Mr. Totaka himself).

Trust me, if more people had the opportunity to play For the Frog the Bell Tolls the Sablé Prince would be talked about much more on this thread.

Last edited:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
That was me, and the game is most certainly worth playing. The characters are entertaining and well developed (for an original Game Boy title), the game-play is a fun mix between platforming, simple puzzle solving, and combat - while also being different enough from Link's GB forays, and the music is excellent (courtesy of Mr. Totaka himself).

Trust me, if more people had the opportunity to play For the Frog the Bell Tolls the Sablé Prince would be talked about much more on this thread.
He was indeed a sticker if it wasn't established already.

But why go for that prince, why not this one? His final smash could be blinding everyone with his amazingness.

...Maybe not. I should also try the Sablé Prince's game some time if I didn't have a huge backloggery. Also in case you guys need a list of Stickers with pictures, go here.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Sticker_(Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl)

PS: Got my first draft of my Waluigi Moveset done. Check my signature if you wanna check it out.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'm currently honestly a mix of 'Really want Lyn'/am fine with whatever I get, Lyn or not.

So this discussion kinda holds no value for me anymore, lol. Good luck to everyone though and I hope you all get something you want, or at least like, out of this.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
As far as new ideas go, how about we put Pichu on the backburner, and if we want a small, fast Poke-Powerhouse, how about instead we consider Victini?

Victini is the Victory Pokemon, plus he has access to SEVEN different legendary moves, two exclusive to him, in fact! Searing Shot, V-Create, Fusion Flare, Fusion Bolt, Blue Flare, Bolt Strike, and Glaciate. With such a wide array of powerful moves, I think he could be an awesome contender to be a Project M fighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom